Start by marking “The Servant Leader” as Want to Read:
The Servant Leader

The Servant Leader

Best-selling author of The One-Minute Manager, Ken Blanchard, along with Phil Hodges, reveals the meaning of servant leadership modeled after Jesus Christ. Based on Blanchard's and Hodges' Faith Walk seminars, business leaders come to realize that teams are more powerful than the sum of the individuals and to recognize their people as appreciating assets.

Servant Leader sum
Published March 11th 2003 by Thomas Nelson (first published January 1st 2001)

To ask other readers questions about The Servant Leader, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Servant Leader

Start your review of The Servant Leader
grant
May 08, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Servant Leader is a great guide for implementing faith and growing as servant leadership.

Thank you to Ken Blanchard and the team that prepared this book. God bless you all for being servant leaders and for sharing what you have learned from our greatest and most loved Servant Leader, our Lord and Savior, Jesus Christ. I am grateful, inspired, and motivated to apply and practice the invaluable lessons, ACTS, shared in this book.
Chad Stutzman
Dec 31, 2009 rated it really liked it
A friend gave me this book. Short book filled with great insight. Here is a question to ponder: How would Jesus do your job differently than you do? I plan on getting extra copies to give to people. Great resource, very focused and filled with Scripture.
Anton Dubrovskiy
Jan 02, 2011 rated it it was amazing
The best book on leadership I've ever read. And translated :)
Philip
Jan 18, 2013 rated it it was ok
Shelves: non-fiction
Alright, I read this for a class. You can probably tell what I thought of it from the stars and the review itself. Actually, I didn't review it. I took the posts I made for class, and copied them over here.
I didn't copy in all of the responses, because A: I didn't get anyone’s permission; B: That would take too much time; C: I can’t imagine anybody reading this review anyway.

If you had to read it for a class, leave a comment and tell me what you thought. (If you have time.)

READING 1
I always try
Katharine Mccormack
Jun 17, 2020 rated it it was amazing
The fact is, I am in school at this late stage of my life.. All of my reviews right now reflect the wonder of the given book I am reviewing ~ because if it wasn't wonderful, and God-led in my life, then for now I am not even listing it here.

So needless to say, I also truly appreciated and was moved by this book. The odd thing for me was that I taught from The One Minute Manager books in the 1980s, during a brief (rather misguided) foray into the business world. Those books were part of what made
Tim
Apr 13, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A small gem of a book. Essentially a "survey book" that summarizes leadership principles from a servant leader perspective. Skeptics may be turned off by Jesus as role model and by the scriptural references, but even so, this is a very strong book on leadership. Part textbook, part devotional, the book is rich and pithy. Read this book, and then ask yourself what the world would be like if all leaders practiced these principles.
Tyler
Nithin Thompson
This was a fun and inspirational little book u can read pretty quickly. None of the content is new if u are a regular consumer of books. But good reminder for me that growing as a leader means developing daily habits that will take I where u want to go.
Mike Finton
Feb 26, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Just what I needed

This was the book I needed to really dog in and focus on the core of Servant Leadership from the Source, Jesus our first and foremost guide to the very same. Powerful!
Octavio
Mar 22, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A must read book

The author explains how to apply the principles that Jesus Christ taught to their followers, in order to become servant leaders.

I enjoyed a lot of learning and looking forward to apply these principles in every area of my life.
Steve Danner
Sep 29, 2019 rated it liked it
3.5 stars really. It's a good book, I just wasn't expecting quite so much tie-in to scripture and religious beliefs. Even if they happen to match my own beliefs. I think this book will grow on me after subsequent readings, which will happen because it's a quick and easy read.
Brent
Jun 02, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Situational Shepherding

Anything by Blanchard will get 5 stars from me. He has the great knack for boiling things down to essentials and then organizing and presenting material in a great way, usually with a story. Not as much story telling, but clear and concise.
Emily Henderson
Mar 07, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This book is a must read for all those seving in any type of leadership capacity. This is a library book. Buy share and bless your team.
Analiese Murphy
Aug 05, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition

It has all the basics of what I want to practice everyday to stay connected to God and peeple. Very deep rooted manual, helps with the Bible study.
Rob Markley
Sep 12, 2017 rated it it was ok
Shelves: christian
Lacked anything deep. The sort of thing a senior manager might have on his coffee table to glance at as a reminder from time to time but not really something to read as a book
Steve Hager
Mar 01, 2018 rated it liked it
Need to read page 33 daily.
Melissa
Jul 20, 2018 rated it really liked it
A great read no matter what industry you work within. It is a book woven with Scripture and I think even if you don't believe in God, there's still some good principles to be found.
Cody
Dec 05, 2018 rated it liked it
OK read. The part looking into Jesus's leadership examples was very good.
Mike Ncube
Feb 07, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: leadership
Christ is the true model of a servant leader. What a great book!
Danna Knight
Aug 13, 2019 rated it liked it
Very simple book. Gives good insights & is a good reflection book before starting a new position. ...more
Elizabeth Wolkowicz
Jesus as a leadership role model.

This book simply provides a leadership framework where Jesus is the model. Simple but crucial for leadership in the 21st century.

Alex
Jul 15, 2020 rated it liked it
Nothing new or groundbreaking here. A favorite topic of mine but the book was pretty basic and boring; though to be fair, I have read a lot on this subject so it may be great for someone new to the topic who hasn't seen this info before.
Dustin
Sep 29, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Very easy read with great key guidance points on becoming a successful leader.
Reid
This really changed the way I think of Servant Leadership; Jesus was a slave to the vision/revelation God had given Him about what He wanted to do with His life. I also want to be a slave to the LORD and the vision He has for my life.

I don't want to waste the rest of my life, rather I want the LORD to redeem the rest of my life with what I have left.

Blanchard and Hodges break down Servant Leadership by describing how one lives, with these attitudes about 4 areas of life:

HEART (EGO - Edging God O
Shelli Smith Bass
Leaders today need to Revisit this book

As four generations are in the workforce today, I picked my book up again for another read. Today's leaders are more like parents or Role Models if you are a servant leader, so I enjoyed my refresher. So much is changing, and I am preparing the next generation of leaders so it's important to do it right. I love this book. I'm a Christian. It may not be a book for you if you do not believe in Jesus. The business principles are still spot on nevertheless.
Brett
Oct 25, 2009 rated it it was ok
Shelves: leadership
Discussing the heart, head, hands, and habits of servant leaders, this small, gift-book is heavy on design and graphics, but offers little content and far less depth. Here, Blanchard and Hodges provide a brief introduction to the themes of servant leadership. C+
William
Aug 19, 2012 rated it it was amazing
I received this book for father's day in 2010 from our church. What an incredible read for men who seek to serve God, lead and serve by example. I've read it 2 times so far and still pick up new insights.
David Wu
Sep 29, 2015 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Didn't find this book too helpful from a management perspective. Everyone knows to set a vision - This just tried to put a Christian twist on everything. Would have loved to see more practices and exercises.
Elizabeth
Apr 21, 2016 rated it really liked it
This book definitely made me think of how I should lead. I never thought of looking at Jesus to emulate how I should lead but this book changed my outlook. Lost one star simply due to how the organization of the book was confusing at times.
Evonne Davis
Oct 01, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I enjoyed the habits and disciplines portions. I would not recommend this book to anyone new to leadership. You need to have some experience with servanthood as reference for some of the text. Overall, I liked it.

• The Unhealthy Truth: How Our Food Is Making Us Sick And What We Can Do About It
  • Hollow Faith: How Andy Griffith, Facebook, and the American Dream Diluted the Gospel
  • Soup: A Recipe to Nourish Your Team and Culture
  • The Positive Dog
  • Bless Your Heart & Mind Your Mama: Sassy, Sweet and Silly Southernisms
  • Building Bigger Ideas: A Process for Teaching Purposeful Talk
  • Dan Brown Inferno (Robert Langdon) Unofficial Guide
  • The Lost Colony (The Long Winter, #3)
  • Dream Big: Know What You Want, Why You Want It, and What You’re Going to Do About It
  • Junkyard Cats
  • The Half-Life of Marie Curie
  • Cappuccinos, Cupcakes, and a Corpse  (Cape Bay Cafe Mystery, #1)
  • Leading Small Groups with Purpose: Everything You Need to Lead a Healthy Group
  • The Distance Learning Playbook, Grades K-12: Teaching for Engagement and Impact in Any Setting
  • Stories That Stick: How Storytelling Can Captivate Customers, Influence Audiences, and Transform Your Business
  • Good to Great: Why Some Companies Make the Leap... and Others Don't
  • Swing Your Sword: Leading the Charge in Football and Life
  • Tough Guy: My Life on the Edge
Ken Blanchard, one of the most influential leadership experts in the world, is the coauthor of the iconic bestseller, The One Minute Manager, and 60 other books whose combined sales total more than 21 million copies. His groundbreaking works have been translated into more than 27 languages and in 2005 he was inducted into Amazon’s Hall of Fame as one of the top 25 bestselling authors of all time.

News & Interviews