Start by marking “Modern Lunch: +100 Recipes for Assembling the New Midday Meal” as Want to Read:
Modern Lunch: +100 Recipes for Assembling the New Midday Meal

Modern Lunch: +100 Recipes for Assembling the New Midday Meal

From acclaimed cookbook author and award-winning blogger Allison Day comes Modern Lunch, a collection of 100 recipes that celebrate the midday meal.

Modern Lunch is the new lunchtime hero for time-strapped, budget-conscious, and salad-fatigued people everywhere. Focusing on healthy, quick--and, yes, Instagrammable--recipes, Allison takes readers on a feasting journey inspir
Published March 5th 2019 by Appetite by Random House

To ask other readers questions about Modern Lunch, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Modern Lunch

Start your review of Modern Lunch: +100 Recipes for Assembling the New Midday Meal
Sadie
Jul 25, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Amazing cookbook full of ideas for healthy, flavorful salads, grain bowls, and platters for lunches. Simple ingredient lists and easy ideas that can be adapted with ingredients you have on hand in the pantry.
Jennifer Pretoria
Jul 09, 2019 rated it liked it
The recipe times clearly don't take into account any of the ingredient prep time and most of the ingredients include a lot of chopping, shaving, de-veining, etc. before the recipe even begins. Also several recipes call for expensive ingredients (like saffron or pomegranate seeds) or not easily accessible ingredients (like powdered dry hibiscus). So for that reason it's not as useful for work-week lunch planning as I had hoped. That being said, I did find some inspiration for make-ahead lunches a ...more
Shipshapeeatworthy
Modern Lunch was written because Day realizes that a sad lunch al desko is avoidable using some simple strategies and delicious recipes. While I'm focused on packing a school lunch, this cookbook offers options for anyone who eats lunch (read: everyone!). Throughout the introduction Day reminisces over her own school lunches and reminds us that lunchtime offers a chance to celebrate the communal nature of lunch. Building our community by eating with friends, colleagues, and sometimes strangers. ...more
Alisa Wilhelm
I liked this book but it should be called Casual Dinner, not Modern Lunch. These recipes are simple, but do require time. So unless you cook for an hour for lunch and another hour for dinner, what you will probably want to do is make an extra large dinner and keep the leftovers for next day's lunch. Hence, this is actually a weeknight dinner cookbook.
Belinda
Aug 29, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: travel-and-food
Lots of good ideas for easy pack-able lunch options, but I skipped through some of the other chapters like the picnic ideas. The book was very visually appealing with lots of beautiful pictures of scenery and food and the layout as a fresh, instagram-ish feel to it. I look forward to including some fresh ideas to my lunch options soon!
Tori
Mar 28, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2019
There are a few recipes that I’m really excited about, but a lot that don’t interest me for one reason or another. I like it enough to keep it and cook from it, but not enough that it will become a go-to book. I do really like how it’s pushed me to think about lunches. It’s not as hard as it feels like it is, as long as you’re willing to do a little prep work.
H
Mar 31, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Beautiful!
Katie
Aug 18, 2019 rated it really liked it
Great recipes/ideas. Simple, easy, and healthy.
Allison Brennan
May 10, 2019

• Nothing Fancy: Unfussy Food for Having People Over
  • Ottolenghi Simple: A Cookbook
  • Indian-ish: Recipes and Antics from a Modern American Family
  • Simple Cake: All You Need to Keep Your Friends and Family in Cake [a Baking Book]
  • Dinner for Everyone: 100 Iconic Dishes Made 3 Ways--Easy, Vegan, or Perfect for Company: A Cookbook
  • Food52 Genius Desserts: 100 Recipes That Will Change the Way You Bake
  • Sister Pie: The Recipes and Stories of a Big-Hearted Bakery in Detroit [a Baking Book]
  • Milk Street: Tuesday Nights: More than 200 Simple Weeknight Suppers that Deliver Bold Flavor, Fast
  • Pastry Love: A Baker's Journal of Favorite Recipes
  • Smitten Kitchen Every Day: Triumphant and Unfussy New Favorites
  • Body Love Every Day: Choose Your Life-Changing 21-Day Path to Food Freedom
  • Find Your Path: Honor Your Body, Fuel Your Soul, and Get Strong with the Fit52 Life
  • Vietnamese Food Any Day: Simple Recipes for True, Fresh Flavors
  • Rose's Baking Basics: 100 Essential Recipes, with More Than 600 Step-by-Step Photos
  • Love Real Food: More Than 100 Feel-Good Vegetarian Favorites to Delight the Senses and Nourish the Body
  • Content Strategy for the Web
  • Before and After Getting Your Puppy: The Positive Approach to Raising a Happy, Healthy, and Well-Behaved Dog
  • The Healthnut Cookbook: Energize Your Day with Over 100 Easy, Healthy, and Delicious Meals
Allison Day is a cookbook author, writer, food stylist, and the creator of the Taste Canada award-winning food blog Yummy Beet. She’s the author of three cookbooks, most recently, Modern Lunch, along with Whole Bowls and Purely Pumpkin. Allison has contributed to and been featured in The New York Times, Epicurious, Bon Appétit, New York Magazine, Food Network Canada, SHAPE, FLARE, and more.

News & Interviews