Start by marking “The Girl the Sea Gave Back (Sky in the Deep, #2)” as Want to Read:
The Girl the Sea Gave Back (Sky in the Deep, #2)

The Girl the Sea Gave Back

(Sky in the Deep #2)

3.58  ·  Rating details ·  4,972 ratings  ·  1,498 reviews
The new gut-wrenching epic from the New York Times bestselling author of Sky in the Deep.

For as long as she can remember, Tova has lived among the Svell, the people who found her washed ashore as a child and use her for her gift as a Truthtongue. Her own home and clan are long-faded memories, but the sacred symbols and staves inked over every inch of her skin mark her as o
Published September 3rd 2019 by Wednesday Books

To ask other readers questions about The Girl the Sea Gave Back, please sign up.

·  4,972 ratings  ·  1,498 reviews

Start your review of The Girl the Sea Gave Back (Sky in the Deep, #2)
jessica
Aug 28, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
there is no better feeling than seeing a lovely cover and discovering that the writing inside reflects that same beauty. its just always a relief when a book is gorgeous, both inside and out.

and its definitely the writing that made this story for me. young took a topic that im not really interested in (vikings) and had me so enamoured with their way of life, their gods and beliefs, their struggle and desire for peace. there is such an atmospheric quality to her words that makes me feel like im
Chelsea Humphrey
I'm a bit shocked, as I feel like this book read much more like a debut that then author's actual debut novel did. The world building is minimal, if non-existent, and the plot is predictable and felt lacking in purpose. Overall, it was a straight forward story without the tension I typically find in fantasy to drive the story forward. I think the idea is here, but unfortunately this one just fell flat for me; however, I will concede that I'm likely in the minority with my opinions. I'm all about ...more
destiny ♡⚔♡ [howling libraries]
*HEAVY BREATHING INTENSIFIES*

Thank you so much to the publisher for providing me with this ARC in exchange for an honest review!
Candace Robinson
I absolutely loved Sky in the Deep, but I couldn’t connect with this one or the characters. 😩 The prose is very beautiful and rich here but I wanted more viking stuff and stronger romantic elements between the leads. However, I think it could just be me here.
Melissa ♥ Dog/Wolf Lover ♥ Martin
This cover is absolutely gorgeous, but alas, I couldn’t get into it that much. I liked it well enough but didn’t love it enough to keep the hardback. I did get a cool bookmark for preordering it 😉

This is another one I would buy on sale for kindle

Happy Reading!

Mel 🖤🐶🐺🐾

Buddy read with For Love Of A Book.

Arini
Jun 04, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
#1 Sky in the Deep — 3.75 Stars
#2 The Girl the Sea Gave Back — 3 Stars

I hate how conflicted it makes me feel when books would pointlessly drag on for so long only to knock me over with a feather at the end. I’m talking about that one final battle at the end, which was more than what I could’ve asked for. I get the saying, “good things come to those who wait,” but do you really have to make the lead up to climax painstakingly long and excruciatingly boring??

It was hard to pull through t
Cindy ✩☽♔
Apr 17, 2018 rated it it was ok
Shelves: arc, fantasy, netgalley
“War is faithful to come looking for us time and again.”

Unpopular opinion coming in again everyone!

Imagine getting a beautifully wrapped gift, pretty ribbon, fabulous wrapping paper. Just oh so lovely. And then imagine your disappointment when you open the box only to find it completely empty.

That is this book.

Gorgeous cover. Plenty of lovely, descriptive prose. But sadly its narrative falls flat. Somehow, despite its best intentions, it is empty. Without heart. Without soul. Or if there is one
Hannah Greendale
Apr 25, 2019 rated it did not like it
DNF at page 10. The Girl the Sea Gave Back needs a major editing overhaul prior to publication in September of 2019. Will revisit this book once finished copies are available.
Tucker  (TuckerTheReader)
Jun 13, 2019 marked it as other
Recommended to Tucker by: St. Martin's Press

Many thanks to Wednesday Books for sending me a copy in exchange for an honest review

omg, it's a manuscript and it's even prettier in person

| Goodreads | Blog | Pinterest | LinkedIn | YouTube | Instagram
Ꮗ€♫◗☿ ❤️ ilikebooksbest.com ❤️
The battles were brutal and awesome

This was a bit slow to begin but it had to be with the background information. I didn’t read Sky in the Deep prior to this one and didn’t feel that I had to. I ended up truly loving this book. It reminded me quite a bit of Vikings on the History channel and Halvard was an awful lot like young Ragnar Lothbrok. I can only hope he stays that way, because Ragnar Lothbrok was awesome.

The story was about Tova who was found at six years old on the shore by a surrogate
Helena of Eretz ✰
I’m genuinely confused...THATS HOW YOU END IT??? The climax AND resolution AND instalove romance crammed into the last 20 pages? I didn’t even mind the meandering atmospheric story and nonexistent plot for the majority of the book. But then, the romance came out of nowhere and the ending was so abrupt that all I have are questions...how did this pass the final stage of editing? That’s not how you end a book, especially not a standalone.

I’ll most likely keep this on my shelves solely because I l
Nasom
Jun 13, 2020 rated it really liked it
Full Review

If the term "foreboding" was a book, this would be it. This book is about a girl who, through casting stones, can see into the future. This makes people use her as a tool to know what's going to happen. At the same time, they hate and fear her because they think she is the cause of the bad things that happen.

At the beginning of this, she sees destruction in the future of the people she's staying with, which leads to a series of events that happens in the rest of the book.

Another m
Hollis
I feel like everything that kept me from loving SKY IN THE DEEP, was missing in THE GIRL THE SEA GAVE BACK. This makes me very very happy.

I was sure this was going to be an easy three star read; lots to like but not quite getting me all the way there which, I mean, would’ve been a better result than book one. So colour me surprised by this rating.

This story takes place ten years after the events of SKY IN THE DEEP and, once again, we have warring clans. The characters we knew from book one have
Dannii Elle
Actual rating 2.5/5 stars.

Saving two clans might have just foretold of the destruction of another. Tova casts her stones and they decide the future fate of her people. But when the stones are not in their favour it is not them but Tova herself who may have to pay the price.

This gave me so much more of what I was looking for, than in the first book in this series, but unfortunately not quite enough to make me love it. I found the writing style, although not unlikable to any degree in book one, ha
Sharon
It has been like 4 years since I won a Goodreads giveaway, so I’m still in shock. So happy it’s for this b/c I loved the 1st ☺️☺️

Here are some of my thoughts:
• This book can be quite brutal. I felt already a little weepy at the beginning of the book because everything seems to be going wrong. This book really goes there at times. I had no idea who was going to live, who was going to die, especially during these war times. I like that some of the characters are wise to know that no one should be
Umairah | Sereadipity
Sep 03, 2019 rated it really liked it
"Augua ór tivar. Ljá mir sýn
"Eye of the gods. Give me sight"

Plot: 4/5
Characters: 4/5
Writing: 4.5/5

The Girl the Sea Gave Back was the mystical companion novel to Sky in the Deep, set in the same vivid Viking-inspired world that told a story woven by fate, destiny and omens of the future. Unlike Sky in the Deep, this book was less focused on the theme of family and placed more emphasis on finding a place to belong and coming into one's own. It was a poignant tale which I really liked.

The stor
Alaina
I have received this ARC from NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.

I loved the first book.. so it isn't really surprising that I fell in love with this one as well.

The girl the Sea Gave Back was so entertaining! It was definitely a page turner and made me fall in love with Tova and Halvard. Now I'm not really a fan of the back and forth with flashbacks because they don't always work in books. Yet, it definitely did in this one. It made everything clearer in a way that I wasn't expecting. I
Anja H.
Sep 09, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: netgalley
*3.25 TRUTHTONGUE STARS*

Okay, this wasn't bad at all, but it just wasn't as good as Sky in the Deep in my opinion.
It took a REALLY long time for me to get into the story and the characters and it was only during the last half that I started to enjoy myself.

The dual perspective just didn't sit well with me. I know it's because Tova and Halvard were separated throughout 80% of the book, but I would've preferred seeing things unfold through one of them instead of both, because it made some things o
Hayley ☾ (TheVillainousReader)
Holy shit. This is the most beautiful cover I’ve ever seen. AND MAGIC! I’M SO EXCITED.

LOLLLLLL ^ Ignorant me

DNF 50%

I’m sorry, but… was Adrienne Young murdered and then her murderer took over her author life and wrote this book?! It’s the only explanation I can come up with for what a disappointed this book was. I guess I should say half of this book because I DNFed at 50%. I wanted to DNF at 25% but I tried to push through because I got an ARC but you know what, GIRL HAS JOB APPLICATIONS TO FIL
TheBibliotheque ♡
Mar 29, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: read-arc
”I blinked, my gaze following the edge to the feet that stood down the cliff, the moonlight on his white tunic a faint glow. It pulled around him in the wind, his hair blowing across his forehead. And when I looked up into his face, Halvard’s eyes were on me.”

After spending a considerable amount of time deciding how I feel about this book, I’ve come to the conclusion that I’m a little bit sad.

It’s not that I didn’t find the story and world I discovered and loved in Sky in the Deep interesting, w
Rian *fire and books*
Jan 14, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: audiobooks
The cutest little fantasy romance that I needed right now.

Okay it’s not really cute, there’s some fucked up shit that happened and like, grown ass men blaming teenage girls for the problems they created, but I liked this a lot.

It was exactly the book I needed to read at the right time. It’s not perfect, but it had me teary eyed plenty of times. There was magic, Viking battles, savagery, love, and it was what I needed.

I will say don’t read this immediately after Sky In The Deep. Give yourself
Roobie
3 stars

It didn't matter what the stones said.
Nothing was sure until death came.
warhawke
Genre: YA Fantasy
Type: Standalone book from Sky In the Deep collection
POV: First Person - Dual
Rating:

Since she could remember, Tova had always been an outcast. Growing up among the Svell she was shunned and feared for her ability. When an innocent move led her to Halvard, a young man from a rival clan, she never thought it would take her to a path that would change the course of their lives and the people around them.

It had been a long time since I’d prayed to Thora or Sigr. Not
Ewe Linka
Oct 03, 2019 rated it liked it
The story is of a girl, Tova, who was washed ashore and now casts the runes for the Svell and of a boy, Halvard, who's on his way to a leadership position.
I hadn't read Sky in the Deep, which has some of the characters, I think therefore I found it a bit slow and confusing to begin with which got better with the second half of the book.
The storyline felt a little flat and I wished for more interaction and dialogue as not much has happened except for the ongoing conflict and general idea of conf
Taylor
Thank you so much to Wednesday Books for providing a stunning finished copy in exchange for an honest review.

I don't know y'all. As you can see from below I was more than ready for this companion novel, but it didn't live up to the standards set by SitD in my opinion. I'm still very happy I read it and that I got to spend time in Young's viking world, but I just wish the content matched the beauty of the cover. Full RTC.

Original thoughts: Let’s pretend I wasn’t already sold on this author, t
Lisa Marie
Nov 15, 2019 rated it really liked it
I thoroughly enjoyed this book. I was not able to get into Sky in the Deep but really wanted to give this one a try and glad I did.
I love when an author can write a book so well and in depth that you can see the scene. I felt like I was there in the battles. I felt the emotions Tova felt. Just perfect!
Very well written and recommend!
Breanna
Nov 25, 2018 rated it really liked it
THIS REVIEW & MORE → Paws and Paperbacks

ARC provided by the publisher through a giveaway.

3.5 stars ✨ Buddy read with Nikki at Synopses by Sarge! 💕

Sky in the Deep quickly became one of my favorite books after I finished reading it, and so The Girl the Sea Gave Back was something I was highly anticipating. Adrienne Young continues to be a wonderful storyteller and has crafter another novel full of strong characters and powerful writing, however it’s quite capture my attention the same way Sky in t
Brittany
Sep 04, 2019 rated it liked it
I really really loved the way this book was written- and I enjoyed the story... but it was missing something and I can’t really figure out what just yet....
Diana
May 19, 2019 added it
Shelves: discarded-shelf
At 50% I DNF the book. I loved "Sky in the Deep", so I had high expectatives for liking this one... but it wasn't to be. I didn't connect to the characters, the writing got me lost sometimes with the time jumps and I felt like the plot wasn't all clear or for me...

We follow two main characters from rival clans: Tova, who comes from another clan and is hated on the clan she is now because she is a fortune teller and they kinda fear/hate it; and Halvard, the kid from the Rikki clan from the previ
Sara
Thoughtful, atmospheric, and grim, THE GIRL THE SEA GAVE BACK embraces the more mystical side of Adrienne Young's Viking-inspired setting and shows its two teenage protagonists - Tova, a rune-reading seer, and Halvard, a chieftain-in-training - taking their destinies into their hands. It lacks the spark that made its predecessor SKY IN THE DEEP such a compelling story, but it's enjoyable nonetheless. Characters from SKY also return in this book, but they play minor roles this time. So you can ea ...more

• Warrior of the Wild
  • All the Stars and Teeth (All the Stars and Teeth, #1)
  • House of Salt and Sorrows
  • The Guinevere Deception (Camelot Rising, #1)
  • Serpent & Dove (Serpent & Dove, #1)
  • The Shadows Between Us
  • The Beautiful (The Beautiful, #1)
  • Sorcery of Thorns
  • The Bone Houses
  • Spin the Dawn (The Blood of Stars, #1)
  • Bone Crier's Moon (Bone Grace, #1)
  • Blood Heir (Blood Heir Trilogy, #1)
  • Winterwood
  • Ruthless Gods (Something Dark and Holy, #2)
  • Crown of Coral and Pearl (Crown of Coral and Pearl, #1)
  • Scavenge the Stars (Scavenge the Stars, #1)
  • A Heart So Fierce and Broken (Cursebreakers, #2)
  • Wicked Saints (Something Dark and Holy, #1)
New York Times bestselling author of SKY IN THE DEEP, THE GIRL THE SEA GAVE BACK & the upcoming FABLE duology from Wednesday Books. Agent: Barbara Poelle, IGLA

Adrienne Young is a born and bred Texan turned California girl. She is a foodie with a deep love of history and travel and a shameless addiction to coffee. When she’s not writing, you can find her on her yoga mat, scouring antique fairs for

Sky in the Deep (2 books)
  • Sky in the Deep (Sky in the Deep, #1)