Start by marking “Bitter Rivals” as Want to Read:
Bitter Rivals

Bitter Rivals

New York Times best selling author J. Sterling brings you a brand new enemies-to-lovers romance that will excite and delight you. Falling for the enemy has never been more fun.

James Russo is enemy #1.
Hating him is in my blood.

Our families have been at war for generations; a bitter rivalry with no end in sight. All I've ever wanted to do was make wine, but one night with Ja
153 pages
Published March 21st 2019

To ask other readers questions about Bitter Rivals, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Bitter Rivals

Karen Mc
Mar 17, 2019 rated it it was ok
After the second-chance romance, enemies-to-lovers romance is my kryptonite. The tension and torment are pure pleasure to read. With an enticing blurb and allure of the enemies-to-lovers trope, I was excited to read my first J. Sterling romance! While this story is fun, flirty, and, yes, forbidden, it is mostly sweet. Too sweet for this story trope. It lacks the spicy banter and tension needed for a true enemies-to-lovers story.

Unfortunately, I could not forge a connection to the characters or
Syndi
Apr 20, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is the second book by miss Sterling. Although this book is shorter and simplier, i still love it. Minimum angst, minimum drama. The characters are likeable even though i want deeper connection between Julia and James. James is so sweet perfect book boyfriend. He only have eyes for Julia.

So go ahead guys, enjoy ur weekend with a good wine and read this book. It will warm you up.

5 bitter rivals stars
Clau
Mar 31, 2019 rated it it was ok
Nada interesante por aquí.
La sinopsis prometía mucho: un romance entre Julia y James, dos personajes que se odian por una rivalidad ancestral entre sus familias. Cualquier tipo de contacto entre ellos está absoluta y terminantemente prohibido. Lo cual no deja de ser complejo, dado que son vecinos y que se dedican a la industria del vino, por lo que profesionalmente siempre se encuentran.
¿Suena bien, verdad? No es una premisa original, pero no voy a negar que suelo devorar este tipo de historias.
Anne OK
A modern day Romeo and Juliet theme set in wine country. Felt rushed with a speedy insta-love connection between Julia and James. The whole idea felt a little lame and corny in its development with not much depth to the big "grape" controversy causing a generational rivalry between the La-Bella and Russo families. I never could figure out the present day ages of Julia and James -- there was a lot of talk about their high school years, but nothing defined their years after graduation. The best pa ...more
Jo - *✽*•.★Reading Is My Bliss★.•*✽*

A feud can divide people and cause so much unwarranted carnage. Sometimes it’s one sided, leaving the other side with no idea why there is one to begin with. Often things can be cleared up simply by talking but hey common sense does not always prevail in these situations.

Julia La Bella grew up living on her family vineyard, she is passionate about wine making and has the awards to show for it. She usually takes first place when she enters wine from vines that she has complete ownership
Jodie Wilkins
Mar 18, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Omg I was so happy when I found out that I had received an arc for honest review. What can I say about this book, once again Jenn has outdone herself I loved it. I loved the chemistry between James and Julia, the rivalry between the two families and the love omg the love James made me swoon so hard from the very beginning of the book and there were times that I really wanted to slap Julia around the face and tell her to open her fucking eyes and heart to see how amazing James was. The story was ...more
D
Jan 24, 2019 rated it really liked it
review to come when book is published
Valeen Robertson (Live Thru Books Blog)

Julia La Bella hates James Russo. Or say she says. His family and hers have been locked in a bitter feud that goes back decades. Neither of their fathers is all that forthcoming about the cause of the feud, all they know is that each is to stay away from the other. Too bad they're insanely attracted to each other, not that they're likely to publicly admit it.

"You do realize that this all borders eerily close to Romeo and Juliet, right? I mean, you're both even Italian."

I gotta say, for an enem
KFForever
kfforever

Reviewed by Sharon Thérèse at KindleFriendsForever

I'm so glad I've popped my J. Sterling cherry! And to top the lot, the topic she’d chosen was really easy to relate to as I do appreciate a good glass or three of vino! I live in wine country and have visited many bodegas, so her descriptive narrative not only helped me connect to her protagonists, but also gave me the feeling of being in their backyard...oops, vineyard.

This low-on-angst-light-hearted love story is addictive reading a
Rukaiya M.
Mar 22, 2019 rated it really liked it
MY REVIEW:
Bitter Rival is my first novel read by the author J. Sterling. And I would be damned if I'd say that she disappointed even a bit. No, she delivered herself perfectly well. Bitter Rival had a light plot over some kind of stupid bet that's been rising feuds between the families of Russo & La Bella since generations. But who's to stop the emotional turmoil between our leads James & Julia. See, even their names has a common characteristic, then why not their hearts?

Fighting over f
Suzanne
Mar 15, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Julia La Bella and James Russo were brought up on adjoining properties, both Italian families in the wine industry. You would think that because of their very similar backgrounds that they would have a lot in common, and they have, the mutual hate of either family. The rivalry between them virtually ruining their lives.

The main problem is that Julia and James might have been brought up to hate each other, but attraction towards each other is out of their control. Their best friends think that th
Dayang
Mar 16, 2019 rated it really liked it
I was very excited when I received my first J. Sterling. I remember how I loved the Perfect Game series...not only because I love baseball but the overall story itself was memorable...

This is the story of James Russo and Julia La Bella... both of their families run their own respectable wineries... they're competitors as well as next door neighbors...

This is sort of an enemies to lovers kinda thing but not really... it's a modern day Romeo and Juliet story...

My only complain is that I wish they
2OCC Reviews
Shelves: gemma
Bitter Rival was a short read that was about a forbidden romance between two families that hated each other over a bet that went wrong between their great grandfathers. It did take me a bit to get into the story but I did find it to be entertaining. I think it was the perfect length for this story and the right amount of angst within the story.

Julia did everything her parents asked of her without question and sometimes I found myself yelling at her for not standing up for herself with her dad.
Danielle S.
Mar 16, 2019 rated it really liked it
Julia La Bella & James Russo have been raised to hate each other. The generations old family feud is alive and well even though they harbor feelings for each other.

When the sparks start flying they can no longer deny them. Except, Julia tries because her father will disown her and send her packing. James, however, is determined to finally get the girl.

This is a fun, easy to love read. I enjoyed the feel good vibes. <3
Tania's Book Blog
Mar 23, 2019 rated it really liked it
Short but great read of enemies to lovers story. But in this case the “enemy” James has always been in love with Julia since they were kids. They were “enemies” because of a very old family feud. James didn’t care about the feud but Julia did. She was a stickler for rules even though she also had a crush on James she was not going to break that rule. But James wasn’t having it and tried several times to get thru to her and he finally did. It wasn’t so easy and they had to convince their family a ...more
Jo
Mar 22, 2019 rated it liked it
to be honest, little bit disappointed.
Nancy Metsch
Mar 15, 2019 rated it it was amazing
WOW!!!!
I truly loved this very modern Romeo and Juliet story. Everything about this book was fantastic. I cant say too much cause I'm afraid to give away spoilers.
Julie and James were taught from a very young age you don't talk or look at each other. They are the enemy. All from a story that was half told. Everyone that reads this is going to really enjot it
Marina Skinner
Mar 12, 2019 rated it really liked it
Bitter Rival was an enjoyable story with characters that own a vineyard. Naturally this sort of book is right up my alley, I mean, wine and a book, what could be more perfect??
I loved the characters, the sizzling tension between them and the banter was great as well.
What happens when a long standing feud threatens to keep an impending couple apart??!! You will just have to read it for yourself to find out!
I really liked both James and Julia's best friends, they were a hoot.
Definitely a
Brandy Thompson
Mar 11, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I loved this book, it was so good. I couldn’t put it down. J. Sterling is an amazing writer. It’s a must read!!!
Heather Confessions Of A Bibliophile Creighton

I can't believe this is J. Sterlings FIRST enemies-to-lovers story! She jumped right into this genre flawlessly! Bitter Rival is a sweet & funny story with just enough angst and conflict to keep you hooked until the very last page.

It's a modern day Romeo and Juliet, except that this Romeo and Juliet, doesn't die at the end!

James Russo and Julia La Bella were born into a rivalry that spans decades. The feuding between their families has gone on for generations with no signs of slowing, even t
Valerie
Mar 25, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I can't say it enough. Jen never lets me down. I always automatically one-click her books. She is AMAZING at signings, and her books never disappoint. What more can you ask for? Great books by a person you WANT to support.

I snatched this book up as soon as it released, and I'm so glad I did. 5 stars. Full review to come y'all because damn. :)

***

I kinda feel like I should just go ahead and apologize for all of the shouty caps this review is going to have because I know they’re coming y’all, and
Amy
Mar 20, 2019 rated it really liked it
When I signed up to read an ARC of Bitter Rival, I was interested in two things about the book's blurb: (1) it is an enemies-to-lovers book and (2) it's set in the world of wine. Now, I'm not necessarily a wine-drinker, but I love new settings in romance books, and I thought Bitter Rival would offer something interesting.

Bitter Rival is a modern day Romeo and Juliet without the deaths at the end. The main characters, Julia and James, have been raised next door to each other. Their parents (and
Amanda
Mar 24, 2019 rated it liked it
3.5/5⭐
[I received a digital arc for an honest review]

"Why was I attracted to the one man I wasn't allowed to be with? Life wasn't fair."

Bitter Rival by J. Sterling is an enemies to lovers romance with Romeo & Juliet vibes.

Jame Russo and Julia La Bella's families have been enemies since before they were born. Having wine vineyards that are literally next door to each other continue to keep the feud alive. However, the feud doesn't stop the connection that form between Julia and James and now
JoAnna G
Mar 20, 2019 rated it really liked it
Enemies to lovers... Sign me up, now. I loved this book and such a great troupe. I loved everything about. Why do you ask? Numerous reasons but the easiest answer is even though these guys hate each other they are so drawn and they don't realize it. Then you have the writing and the pace. The characters are well developed and the setting is beautiful. Not to mention all the wine drinking and tasting. I had the picture of both of the wineries on this land and the hillside cliff. Since both wineri ...more
Kim
Mar 30, 2019 rated it really liked it
I enjoyed this enemies-to-lovers story that was more sweet than bitter. There is a family feud and rivalry and the characters are supposed to hate each other. But since we get both of their points of view it is obvious early on that these two have really liked each other since their teens. However, besides the big issue with their families, they also had some miscommunication and misunderstandings that still affect them to this day.

So now is the time for James to make a stand for the g
F.S. Faqir
Mar 27, 2019 rated it really liked it
A sweet, charming story about two people who should hate each other but can't help wanting to be together.

There's been a long rivalry between the Russo's and La Bella family for years and as a result it has affected their only children into shaping them to hate each other just as much.

However that hatred doesn't run in their blood and so trying to keep up this fight of hating on another is being more difficult with every day.

James has always tried to get Julia to know of his want to try and see
Readingtilthebreakofdawn
Shelves: arc
A book about wine and enemies to lovers? Sign me up!
Bitter Rival takes wine and two characters, Julia and James, who were born to hate each other and makes a fun and fast paced romance that would be the perfect beach/spring break read.
Julia and James' families have been at war with one another for generations. A little Romeo and Juliet if you will? Their rivalry has been passed down and honestly the current generation have no idea what they are even fighting about anymore. But they know they li
PP's Bookshelf
Mar 20, 2019 rated it really liked it
Bitter Rival by J.Sterling is a enemies to lover story set in backdrop of wine business, grape vines and small town warmth. Julia and James have been warned my their respective families that they can never be friends as they are sworn enemy for decades. But they have deep and undeniable attraction to each other since childhood. The circumstances were never favourable to act on the desires. But James has decided to end the meaningless feud going on for generations and get the girl. This won't be ...more
Sofia Lazaridou
Mar 21, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Bitter rival is a modern retelling of Romeo and Juliet (sort of) but without the deaths. Yeah, we got a happy ending in this version. There is a feud between James and Julia's families and hatred has run deep for many years. James knew that Julia was the one for him since he was 4 years old (isn't that cute?) and Julia was attracted to him, but they never acted upon their feelings, until now. James was a great hero! He might have been a douche when he was a teenager, but now that he is a grown u ...more
Literary Epic
Mar 21, 2019 rated it really liked it
I do love an enemy to lovers story and Bitter Rival was written extremely well. I personally found the characters relatable, especially as their rivalry had been passed down through the generations.

Both Julia and James had been forbidden to talk to each other even though they live next door to each other. They both live on vineyards and both families make wine. In theory, they make the perfect match.

But the fathers have none of it and they pay the price. Forbidden love and the fear of losing y
New Adult Book Club: J. Sterling ARC Giveaway! 14 47 Mar 19, 2019 08:29PM
I write to give myself and others hope- hope that true love really does exist... hope that even when you think love isn't meant for you, it can still find you... and hope that there really are good guys out there who will fight for the right woman and never give up.

I live in California with my only son, Blake. If you can't find me sitting behind a computer screen, then there's a good chance I'm s