Start by marking “Hearing the Underwater” as Want to Read:
Hearing the Underwater

Hearing the Underwater

Hearing the Underwater is a poetry collection that explores reproductive rights, mental illness, motherhood, poverty, and sexuality through a feminist lens. These poems weave quick flashes of imagery and sound through a raw expedition toward self-love. This collection is, ultimately, about survival and acquainting oneself with autonomy.

“By turns lyrical and candid, alert
Published January 4th 2019 by Finishing Line Press

To ask other readers questions about Hearing the Underwater, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Hearing the Underwater

Jan 28, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Breathtaking writing down to the last stanza.
It was very similar to all of the Button Poetry books I have read, and yet Slone's writing style is beautifully raw and all her own. Her diction is so thoughtful and creative, and I love how vividly she is able to paint a picture with her words, how she can capture a snapshot with imagery and enjambment. Hearing the Underwater was such an inspiration for me and I definitely think anyone who wishes to become a writer, or anyone who just wants to get in
Jeremy Mifsud
Jan 18, 2019 rated it it was amazing
5/5: I was provided with a free eBook copy in exchange for an honest review.
Quotes may differ slightly from original due to formatting difficulties on blog posts.

Hearing the Underwater is a chapbook you want to have on your shelf—you’ll be reading the poems over and over. Several themes are approached within this collection, including motherhood, mental health and social issues such as poverty. Slone does not shy away from any thought that consume her mind.

In the poem “Cynicism and Other Synonym
Josh Dale
Jan 16, 2019 rated it it was amazing
When you read Savannah Slone’s Hearing the Underwater, it is as if you’re hearing the voices bubbling from beneath. This chapbook is the punctual first responder to the rescue attempt, plucking a daring arm into the murk. You wish to be saved, but then again, is the world better off without you? Is there enough energy to fight the cold within? Slone's debut is nothing short of a tightly-woven, meticulous, and abrasive plunge; the first chapbook we must save in 2019. "You just might catch a glimp ...more
Beth McCallum
Feb 11, 2019 rated it really liked it
so so so so beautiful, lush descriptions & careful word choices
absolutely in awe of these pieces
some poems i didn’t quite catch the content but hey, all still gorgeous pieces
Dec 25, 2018 rated it really liked it
I was provided with a free advanced reader eCopy of ‘Hearing the Underwater’ in exchange for an honest review. Her collection will be available as of January 4th 2019!

“They leave empowered, and then she sits in her own hypocritical silence. Sitting across from her therapist, she follows up every childhood tragedy with a laugh that might as well be paired with finger guns” (12).

One thing I’m very passionate about is the development and showcasing of young writers and their work. When Savannah
Brittany
Jan 15, 2019 rated it really liked it
A beautiful debut from Savannah Slone. Strong and impactful opinions full of passion which I admire. I love the honesty to her writing and am looking forward to more in the future.
Joshua Swainston
Dec 05, 2018 rated it really liked it
Hearing the Underwater is a solid debut for Savannah Slone. Readers can see Slone’s emergence in her wresting with womanhood, motherhood, and personhood. Some of the work feels unpolished, but on the other hand that may be intentional. The reader is watching Slone grow. Sometimes this makes the collection unbalanced. Rambling adolescence in “A (self) love story” seems a bit silted in comparison to the rest of the book. On the other hand, smart wordplay in “Defend the Female Phobic” and hopeful h ...more
T.W.R. Shelton
Nov 20, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I once described Savannah's poetry as giving me a feeling similar to that of romping around in the woods and standing on the dilapidated old mattress that covered a well. It's anticipation, imagination, a gut punch. It's also resilient and a clear reflection of her soul.
Noelle Simonson
Feb 04, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Peer. Friend. Role Model. Savannah Slone does it again. I have been reading her writing for several years in both a professional and personal environment and she never fails to blow me away. I am unsure how talent was bred so easily within her mind but she makes better use of it than anyone else I know. Five stars isn't enough to fully portray how I feel about this chapbook.

Hearing the Underwater is a powerful, enchanting, consuming collection of poems that encompass multiple different hard-to-t
Nabil
Feb 06, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: poetry, queer
I just finished reading this new collection by Savannah Slone after having been sent the ebook in exchange for a review.

Here is a voice building itself through poetry, often painfully and evincing a weariness that comes from experience and from an identity hard-earned.

There are moments when I am right with her. In "Cynicism and Other Symptoms": "When I have greasy hair, / I am incapable of being happy / yet I put it off just long enough / because feeling agitated feels good sometimes." I hear ya
Hayley
Feb 02, 2019 rated it really liked it
Savannah Slone’s collection of poetry ‘Hearing The Underwater’ is both provocative and raw. Her poetry touches on subjects of sex, reproduction, motherhood and living in modern day America. There is so much honesty in her writing you really get a sense of Slone’s voice throughout the collection. At times she is screaming at the reader to see the importance of recognising ones self, owning your own body and standing up against Trump’s America. But it’s the quiet moments in between that really res ...more
Liam Xavier
Feb 12, 2019 rated it really liked it
Slone is trying to make her point, to plant a flag on the world and write her name across it. There is an essence of her own identity coursing through the veins of each page, and although I did not know her previous to this book, I feel confident I could identify a Savannah Slone poem just from its tone. That’s not an easy feat.

[...] Savannah Slone is a bold writer with no problem baring all in the interest of social and political upheaval/change. She is writing her own story to share with other
Courtney LeBlanc
Feb 10, 2019 rated it liked it
A collection of poems about trying to love oneself for what you are, rather than what you should be or what's expected of you. By far my favorite poem was A (Self) Love Story: "I thrive on compliments of my mind. / I value myself, my separate self. My physical self a reminder that I hate / myself for hating myself." Overall a satisfying and good collection of poems.
Delana Slone
Feb 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I highly recommend this book. 5 stars!
Moriah Conant
Feb 05, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: poetry
"Hearing the Underwater" is full of rich imagery on heavy topics. I recommend this book.

I received a copy of this e-book in exchange for an honest review.
Nina
Feb 03, 2019
Tricia DesJarlais
Feb 14, 2019
Savannah Slone
Nov 20, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)
Beckykokitus