Start by marking “Hearing the Underwater” as Want to Read:
Hearing the Underwater

Hearing the Underwater

Hearing the Underwater is a poetry collection that explores reproductive rights, mental illness, motherhood, poverty, and sexuality through a feminist lens. These poems weave quick flashes of imagery and sound through a raw expedition toward self-love. This collection is, ultimately, about survival and acquainting oneself with autonomy.

“By turns lyrical and candid, alert
Published January 4th 2019 by Finishing Line Press

To ask other readers questions about Hearing the Underwater, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Hearing the Underwater

Start your review of Hearing the Underwater
Jan 28, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Breathtaking writing down to the last stanza.
It was very similar to all of the Button Poetry books I have read, and yet Slone's writing style is beautifully raw and all her own. Her diction is so thoughtful and creative, and I love how vividly she is able to paint a picture with her words, how she can capture a snapshot with imagery and enjambment. Hearing the Underwater was such an inspiration for me and I definitely think anyone who wishes to become a writer, or anyone who just wants to get in
Jeremy Mifsud
Jan 18, 2019 rated it it was amazing
5/5: I was provided with a free eBook copy in exchange for an honest review.
Quotes may differ slightly from original due to formatting difficulties on blog posts.

Hearing the Underwater is a chapbook you want to have on your shelf—you’ll be reading the poems over and over. Several themes are approached within this collection, including motherhood, mental health and social issues such as poverty. Slone does not shy away from any thought that consume her mind.

In the poem “Cynicism and Other Synonym
Josh Dale
Jan 16, 2019 rated it it was amazing
When you read Savannah Slone’s Hearing the Underwater, it is as if you’re hearing the voices bubbling from beneath. This chapbook is the punctual first responder to the rescue attempt, plucking a daring arm into the murk. You wish to be saved, but then again, is the world better off without you? Is there enough energy to fight the cold within? Slone's debut is nothing short of a tightly-woven, meticulous, and abrasive plunge; the first chapbook we must save in 2019. "You just might catch a glimp ...more
Beth McCallum
Feb 11, 2019 rated it really liked it
so so so so beautiful, lush descriptions & careful word choices
absolutely in awe of these pieces
some poems i didn’t quite catch the content but hey, all still gorgeous pieces
Dec 25, 2018 rated it really liked it
I was provided with a free advanced reader eCopy of ‘Hearing the Underwater’ in exchange for an honest review. Her collection will be available as of January 4th 2019!

“They leave empowered, and then she sits in her own hypocritical silence. Sitting across from her therapist, she follows up every childhood tragedy with a laugh that might as well be paired with finger guns” (12).

One thing I’m very passionate about is the development and showcasing of young writers and their work. When Savannah
Brittany
Jan 15, 2019 rated it really liked it
A beautiful debut from Savannah Slone. Strong and impactful opinions full of passion which I admire. I love the honesty to her writing and am looking forward to more in the future.
Joshua Swainston
Dec 05, 2018 rated it really liked it
Hearing the Underwater is a solid debut for Savannah Slone. Readers can see Slone’s emergence in her wresting with womanhood, motherhood, and personhood. Some of the work feels unpolished, but on the other hand that may be intentional. The reader is watching Slone grow. Sometimes this makes the collection unbalanced. Rambling adolescence in “A (self) love story” seems a bit silted in comparison to the rest of the book. On the other hand, smart wordplay in “Defend the Female Phobic” and hopeful h ...more
T.W.R. Shelton
Nov 20, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I once described Savannah's poetry as giving me a feeling similar to that of romping around in the woods and standing on the dilapidated old mattress that covered a well. It's anticipation, imagination, a gut punch. It's also resilient and a clear reflection of her soul.
Noelle Simonson
Feb 04, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Peer. Friend. Role Model. Savannah Slone does it again. I have been reading her writing for several years in both a professional and personal environment and she never fails to blow me away. I am unsure how talent was bred so easily within her mind but she makes better use of it than anyone else I know. Five stars isn't enough to fully portray how I feel about this chapbook.

Hearing the Underwater is a powerful, enchanting, consuming collection of poems that encompass multiple different hard-to-t
Jaclyn (sixminutesforme)
This is a really unique and short collection that immerses (or submerges is maybe more appropriate given title) the reader into a feminist discussion about various issues including motherhood, reproductive rights and identity.

My personal favorite from the collection was “Because you asked about love, I’ll tell you” - I loved the imagery and breathless feel reading it.

Definitely one to check or if you like feminist poetry and experimental structure (the piece entitled “Erasure poem from Virginia
Zainab Ahmed
Feb 19, 2019 rated it really liked it
... The watercolor
humming of the bees
and their kazoos make us swallow
the florescent Morse code rot
of our minds' inner workings.
Inky cigarette
ashes shiver
beneath the graffiti
rot while conceptualized univserses
dance in the machine shadows.
You discard empty
prayers of empty generosity.
They shimmer from your gold,
hollow lungs.
— an excerpt from the poem "hollow lungs, eyes, kazoos and fingernails"

Hearing The Underwater; a short poetry collection by Savannah Slone is composed of poems containing raw an
Nabil
Feb 06, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: poetry, queer
I just finished reading this new collection by Savannah Slone after having been sent the ebook in exchange for a review.

Here is a voice building itself through poetry, often painfully and evincing a weariness that comes from experience and from an identity hard-earned.

There are moments when I am right with her. In "Cynicism and Other Symptoms": "When I have greasy hair, / I am incapable of being happy / yet I put it off just long enough / because feeling agitated feels good sometimes." I hear ya
Melissa
Feb 21, 2019 rated it really liked it
“Moths try
to enter through a dark
window. They see my light
and they want in, but I don’t
want anymore holes
in my clothes
or my life.”

Hearing the Underwater by Savannah Sloan is filled with intense moments of a woman’s life. You clearly feel her hurt and pain in the writing and there are moments of her longing for connection that she does reach through the words and make the reader feel connected to problems and issues that may not relate to you personally. That kind of writing is rare and magical
Liam Xavier
Feb 12, 2019 rated it really liked it
Slone is trying to make her point, to plant a flag on the world and write her name across it. There is an essence of her own identity coursing through the veins of each page, and although I did not know her previous to this book, I feel confident I could identify a Savannah Slone poem just from its tone. That’s not an easy feat.

[...] Savannah Slone is a bold writer with no problem baring all in the interest of social and political upheaval/change. She is writing her own story to share with other
Courtney LeBlanc
Feb 10, 2019 rated it liked it
A collection of poems about trying to love oneself for what you are, rather than what you should be or what's expected of you. By far my favorite poem was A (Self) Love Story: "I thrive on compliments of my mind. / I value myself, my separate self. My physical self a reminder that I hate / myself for hating myself." Overall a satisfying and good collection of poems.
Logan Roberts
Mar 23, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I read this quickly, I couldn’t put it done. I’ll more than likely be reading it again in the next couple days. I follow the author on Twitter and I wanted to support her work. I’m glad I did! If you’re not reading this and you read poetry, get this one for sure. My favorites were “Self Care and Other Unattainables”, “I Don’t Know” and “The Table Where We Sat and Sit”.
Jamie Gogocha
May 26, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: nonfiction, poetry
I'm honored to be able to read Savannah Slone's poetry collection. I always enjoyed her work in our shared classes, and I'm glad the rest of the world gets to see it.

I loved the way some of the poems were relatable, some surprising, and all of them had her clear voice and poetic style.
Tucker
Jul 06, 2019 rated it it was amazing
"Sometimes, when I'm in the shower,
a spider will be crawling
toward me on the wet white tile wall
and I'll be stuck
in two realms:
unfounded fear
and awestruck observation.
That's how I feel most of the time, really."
- from "Cynicism and Other Synonyms"
Delana Slone
Feb 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I highly recommend this book. 5 stars!
Moriah Conant
Feb 05, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: poetry
"Hearing the Underwater" is full of rich imagery on heavy topics. I recommend this book.

I received a copy of this e-book in exchange for an honest review.
Dylan Benito
Jun 22, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This collection of poems was beautiful, heavy, and sometimes hard to read, but were all the better for those reasons.
Dick Batka
May 27, 2019 rated it it was amazing
raw and vulnerable content, this is poetry with an honest and beautiful voice.
Carla Sofia Sofia
Apr 09, 2019 rated it really liked it
A mesmerizing collection well worth rereading. I loved and learned from Slone's poetry. Looking forward to returning to this book.

Update: Did return to this book and still love it!
Nina

• Daughter-Seed
  • Gravity
  • The Saint of Milk and Flames
  • blud
  • A Killer's Wife (Desert Plains, #1)
  • A Cruelty Special to Our Species: Poems