Start by marking “The Manga Guide to Statistics” as Want to Read:
The Manga Guide to Statistics

The Manga Guide to Statistics

(Manga Guides)

Think you can't have fun learning statistics? Think again.

The Manga Guide to Statistics will teach you everything you need to know about this essential discipline, while entertaining you at the same time. With its unique combination of Japanese-style comics called manga and serious educational content, the EduManga format is already a hit in Japan.

In The Manga Guide to
Published December 5th 2008 by No Starch Press (first published October 28th 2008)

To ask other readers questions about The Manga Guide to Statistics, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Manga Guide to Statistics

Start your review of The Manga Guide to Statistics
Lynn
Mar 17, 2011 rated it really liked it
This is the type of book that you will hate upon reading the first time, as everything is compacted more than sardines are. The second re-read will make information flow smoother down the windpipe, and you may even catch small bits of info (in fine print) you missed out the first time. Nevertheless, this book is not for statistics greenhorns, or people who know nothing about stats. They will still end up knowing nothing. Even for people steeped in stats, they may not even understand statistics. ...more
Eustacia Tan
Oct 14, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: owned
I bought this book mainly because I'm terrible at statistics. But after reading this book, and some hard work and practice, I'm happy to say my grades are very much improved (to give the actual figures would be vulgar).

But I can say, that this book is good for the beginner. The story-line makes it accessible, and shows how it can be applied in real-life, which might help learners who are not good with "theoretical" subjects.

What is taught in the manga itself is very basic stats (not many
Michael Larsen
Jan 04, 2013 rated it really liked it
For those of us who do software testing for a living, we know that we have a number of artifacts that come from our testing. One of those classes of artifacts is data. Tons and tons of data. How do we make sense of it all? What is worth looking at? Why is it worth looking at? What decisions can we make if we compile, analyze and distill the data we receive? More to the point, how do we analyze the data so that we can distill it? That’s where Statistics comes in handy.

I’ll be blunt. I took one
Mimi
Jun 20, 2012 rated it really liked it
This was a very friendly lesson into statistics! I read it to get me into the subject since I'm taking it next year, and although there were some parts (especially near the end), where I got a bit lost, Yamamoto-san generally kept me on the same page throughout the entire book. I loved the friendly atmosphere and that fact that Rui seemed not to understand the parts that I did not understand-- it relieved me and kept me turning the pages (though I'll admit that I was also curious to see what ...more
Jodi
Jan 16, 2011 rated it really liked it
Saw this at the library and thought it would be perfect for my boy. Decided to take a look at it first to ensure that there was minimal scantily clad girls as can sometimes be found in manga. The story was hysterical, but the math totally lost me about 2/3 of the way through. Fun way to teach a tough subject and entirely family friendly in tone.

The boy did enjoy it, he read it in 2 days. He has already requested I pick up the guides to physics, microbiology and electricity as well.
Nathan Albright
Nov 24, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: challenge-2019
This book is surprisingly awkward to read. To be sure, this book has plenty of funny material in it. Unfortunately, the framing of this material is more than a little bit uncomfortable, as the heroine is a lovesick teenager who convinces her father to have one of his coworkers tutor her in statistics so that she can seduce a handsome executive at his company and ends up being disappointed initially that she is being taught by a nerdy but surprisingly eccentric (or unsurprisingly eccentric if you ...more
Tim
Mar 25, 2017 rated it really liked it
Statistics has never been my forte, which is kind of embarrassing for someone whose career is in the field of data. It doesn't really help that I don't really need statistics in my day-to-day work, but it's hard to deny that every now and then situations arise where having a statistical toolbox would be very handy. My previous exposure to the subject is limited to one college statistics course which I took more years ago than I care to publicly admit, so, to extend the toolbox metaphor, the only ...more
Isaac
Feb 03, 2018 rated it liked it
Disclaimers:
- It is my first book on Manga Guide series.
- I already knew a bit of statistics (I took a basic course back in my university days doing a Computer Science degree, and also subjects from the same dpt. like Data Mining, etc.).

The book was entertaining. Nevertheless, it seemed quite basic and does not cover the material deeply enough. E.g. it explains Normal Distribution and Standard Normal Distribution. Then it mentions T distribution but it doesn't define it or compare it with the
Brett Francis
Feb 17, 2019 rated it really liked it
Johan
Sep 13, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: science, math
The chapters about datatypes, numerical data, categorical data, mean, median standard deviation, standard score, deviation score and the accompanying excel exercises are very good, but I found that for more complex topics like probability density function, chi-square distribution, Cramer’s coefficient, ... (chapters 5, 6 and 7) this format isn’t suitable. Or at least it doesn’t work for me.
Pashmina
Aug 08, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Two of my favourite things in one: manga and statistics! The explanations were very clear, and I hope to actually use them in the future. The story was a little cheesy, but I liked it! I will make sure to read more from this series!
MystaryPi
Jul 28, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Not as good as electricity or physics, but still legit decent.
Zachary Frazier
Jan 03, 2019 rated it really liked it
A good introduction and support text. Not sufficient on its own, but when paired with a text book or a class, very powerful.
Raymond
Apr 16, 2019 rated it really liked it
Not sure if you would learn much new from this but it was a nice refresher.
Thomas
Feb 08, 2017 rated it liked it
I found the first half of the book informative, but the last half of the book did not explain itself well. The spreadsheet exercises were useful, but don't cover the material at the end of the book.
Mike
Aug 15, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: manga
The "Manga Guide" series provide stepwise explanations of a variety of school subjects utilizing an interspersed manga story to make the material more accessible (usually in the form of a tutor helping a student, who asks common questions as a proxy for the reader).

The Manga Guide to Statistics covers basic statistical concepts, starting with determining data types (categorical vs numerical) and working up to hypothesis testing. Along the way important concepts including mean, variance,
Brian Enigma
Feb 22, 2015 rated it liked it
The math in this books seems pretty solid and accessible. It presents the things you need to know about statistics. It perhaps lacks most of the underlying theory, but it does explain why and where you'd use the calculations. It's quite practical. For that, I'd give it 4 or 5 stars.

The "story" on the other hand... Let's start with the cover. A stereotypical Japanese schoolgirl in a short skirt being pursued by a clumsy nerdy boy. It's a little embarrassing to read this in public or have it out
Wawan Setiawan
Oct 24, 2009 rated it it was amazing
I was planning to create a lecture notes similar to this book, but i was not aware of this book yet :). Let me see whether it's as i expected.
It is a good book. A For Dummies book, Japanese style. :) But do not expect everything will be easy with Statistics because it's not an easy topic, and in the end the book has to explain complicated topics in a way or the other.
Jakub
Jan 21, 2015 rated it really liked it
Very fun book, it reads quickly and the story is actually quite funny. The second half of the book is noticably more boring than the first though, as it gets into more complicated stuff (which I guess is impossible to explain easily.)
Michael Hagar
May 19, 2015 rated it really liked it
Light introduction to basic Statistics using Manga. Statistics is still boring, but in manga format somewhat less so. Some more exercises would have helped the material stick better. It's also a very quick read, so you may want to just check it out from the library.
Michiel
Apr 14, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: math, manga
Very funny introduction to statistics. Doesn't go beyond high-school stuff, gives a quite complete and practical overview of the basics.
Alex
Apr 28, 2013 rated it it was amazing
This manga-style book taught me more about stats than my professor and 3 months of classes ever did...
Lewis Cawthorne
Oct 19, 2011 rated it really liked it
A little basic, but entertaining and you can still learn/review from it while having some fun.
Cheryl3007
Aug 04, 2014 rated it liked it
Statistics can be that fun :) Good for teens who want to start with statistics.
EJ
Oct 07, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Terribly cute, yes, but still has a decent amount of substance. Do the exercises to get the full benefits of this book. Really glad I requested my local library get this.
zedoul
Dec 26, 2013 rated it liked it
Very easy to understand and easy to read as well. I strongly recommend this book to starters.
Terry
Mar 12, 2012 rated it really liked it
Not bad. Got hard to grasp in tail end discussing tests of independence, but not too hard. A jumping off point for further study...
Alex
Sep 26, 2010 rated it liked it
awesome. got me up to speed / took place of intro to stats & got me primed for regression analysis.
Dash Williams
Apr 05, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: nonfiction, manga
Cute book, it was a great and cute refresher of the stuff I forgot from my one semester of Stats many years ago.
Rachel
Nov 09, 2011 rated it liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
Cute comic textbook and a fun statistics review. Not sure how well it would do as a primary textbook, but it was a good supplement.

• Why Grizzly Bears Should Wear Underpants
  • The Cartoon Guide to Statistics
  • Thing Explainer: Complicated Stuff in Simple Words
  • How To: Absurd Scientific Advice for Common Real-World Problems
  • Pocket Ref
  • Introduction to Artificial Intelligence for Security Professionals
  • Land of LISP: Learn to Program in LISP, One Game at a Time!
  • How to Tell If Your Cat Is Plotting to Kill You
  • GNU Emacs Pocket Reference
  • Learning GNU Emacs
  • The Terrible and Wonderful Reasons Why I Run Long Distances

Goodreads is hiring!

If you like books and love to build cool products, we may be looking for you.
Learn more »
Shin Takahashi (高橋しん, originally 高橋 真 Takahashi Shin?, born September 8, 1967) is a Japanese manga artist best known for writing Saikano (She, the Ultimate Weapon) and Iihito. He was born in Shibetsu, Hokkaidō on September 8, 1967.
He has been using computer graphics in his works since the time when few manga artists were able to use them.

Manga Guides (1 - 10 of 17 books)
  • The Manga Guide to Biochemistry