Start by marking “Haverscroft” as Want to Read:
Haverscroft

Haverscroft

Kate Keeling leaves all she knows and moves to Haverscroft House in an attempt to salvage her marriage. Little does she realise, Haverscroft’s dark secrets will drive her to question her sanity, her husband and fatally engulf her family unless she can stop the past repeating itself. Can Kate keep her children safe and escape Haverscroft in time, even if it will end her mar ...more
Published May 15th 2019 by Salt

Start your review of Haverscroft
Blair
Review originally published at NB.

Kate Keeling has just moved into a grand, if slightly shabby, new home with her husband Mark and their 9-year-old twins, Sophie and Tom. At first, they're the picture of modern domesticity: beleaguered parents and bickering children, all of them feeling the strain of moving house, but essentially a solid, happy unit. Yet there are hairline cracks in this picture, and Haverscroft sets about uncovering (and deepening) them with a slow, eerie intensity.

The h
Stephanie Wasek
May 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: horror
Disturbingly atmospheric, fully realised characters, cleverly told. And, unlike untold numbers of other, inferior books, never forgets about the dog. 10/10 would buy creepy countryside house again.
Danni (_forbookssake)
Jun 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing
The Keeling family – Kate, Mark, and their 9 year old twins, Tom and Sophie have just moved in to Haverscroft House. The move from London was made in an attempt to salvage Kate and Mark’s marriage, and to create the opportunity to spend more time together as a family. Little do they know, Haverscroft harbours some dark secrets that could not only destroy their marriage, but also put all of their lives at risk.

From the very beginning, the story gripped me. Although the ghostly activit
Linde
May 21, 2019 rated it really liked it
One of those books where I had to keep reading until I finished it. The suspense is built up brilliantly throughout to the point of me questioning random noises I heard while I was reading.
Jake Goretzki
Jul 04, 2019 rated it did not like it
Shelves: 2019

It’s easy to be mean when you’re reviewing novels - and, depressingly, it wins more likes than being nice (we all do this: you hate a novel everyone else likes, and coming to the few one- or two-star reviews feels like you’re suddenly among dear friends). I’ve learned from experience that being too fast and loose with someone’s work of love can be agonising - especially in the intimate world of social media (my stepbrother is a Goodreads author, and I honestly don’t know how he handles it; ‘neve
Lisa Bentley
May 27, 2019 rated it liked it
Firstly, I need to thank Emma Downson from Salt for sending me a review copy of Haverscroft and allowing me to be a part of the book tour.

Haverscroft is a modern day ghost story set in a creepy old house in a small town. From that mini description I was completely sold. I am the perfect audience for a ghost story and thriller. I never guess the outcome and good writing can genuinely creep me out.

One of the great things about Haverscroft and indeed Harris’s writing of it i
Lisa Mancini
Jun 26, 2019 rated it really liked it
A very exciting new writer. I found this little gem on Instagram. Read it in one sitting. Great book.
Lorrie
Jun 21, 2019 rated it it was ok
I hate to give this book a poor rating - it's a genre I love, from a publisher I love, and it's a first novel. But, it just didn't do it for me. It started off with all the elements of a classic, good old ghost story, but along the way, I felt the story lost direction.

There were loads of elements at play, which Harris weaves in to one another with varied success. Her writing is lovely - although there are a couple of jarring repetitions that her editor should have picked up on - and very engagi
Chasity
Jun 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Twitter is a wonderful place to find another book to read because that was how I found this lovely gem of a novel. I had read a review, connected with the author and found myself determined to give this one a read. Those of you who follow me know that I love me a good ghost story and boy was this a ghost story!

In finding this, the author informed me that other people who had read the book recommended to read it in broad daylight or with the lights on because it was just that scary. N
Karen Mace
May 27, 2019 rated it it was amazing
A classic ghost story with a modern twist - and I loved every single scary, creepy moment of it all!!! Every noise I now hear in the house has me worried.....

Kate is married to Mark, and with their 2 children they move to Haverscroft in what seems to be a bid to save their marriage and start afresh in a new village. But Kate is increasingly spending more time alone with the children in their new home, as Mark is busy living away during the week with work, and her state of mind appear
Jackie Law
May 26, 2019 rated it really liked it
Haverscroft, by S.A. Harris, is a deliciously creepy ghost story. It opens with the Keeling family – Kate, Mark and nine year old twins, Sophie and Tom – moving into a big, old house on the edge of a small town in Suffolk. Having renovated their London home the couple are aware of the work ahead of them. Their relocation has mostly been driven by Mark with Kate agreeing for the sake of their faltering marriage. She has been ill for many months but is now determined to stop taking her medication ...more
Mehsi
A haunted house, a small village, strange things happening, a marriage to save, you won't be bored reading this one.

I have been looking forward to this for ages, I am always looking for the newest haunted house books to read as I just LOVE haunted house books. Well, if they are written well, which this one was.

However, I am rating it lower, just 3 stars, because of a few things that I wasn't a fan of in the book. For instance, not sure if it was my copy or not, there were several mi
Mary
Aug 11, 2019 rated it it was amazing
The atmospheric cover of Haverscroft is more than enough to tempt you into this eerie and uncanny ghost story which is much more than just a tale of ‘things that go bump in the night’.

At the insistence of her husband Mark, Kate Keeling has left London and her career to move to Haverscroft House with Mark and their nine year old twins, Tom and Sophie. Kate has previously had a breakdown and her marriage is troubled. She is hopeful that this is the change the family need but Haverscroft is a dark
Alyssa Janine Busia
Jun 26, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Haverscroft is a horror with a great atmospheric story that will truly hold you and spook you until the end.

From the start, it already gives me this dark vibes that I know would hunt me until the end of the book. The story will provide you with a chilly and scary tale of how Kate and her family stay at their newly bought house. But, there is another problem aside from the unknown that might exist in that house. This haunting experience of her will drive her to question her sanity. If
Aug 19, 2019 rated it really liked it
Whilst trying to avoid cliches - this book is a page turner. It’s a classic ‘I’ll just read one more chapter’ cliffhanger and next thing you know you’ve lost an hour or more.

Kate and Mark Keeling and their 9 year old twins Sophie and Tom move in to an old country pile. At first a seemingly happy unit until cracks start to appear. Mark was the driving force whilst buying Haverscroft and upon moving in almost instantly returns to London to work leaving Kate and the children alone in the dilapidat
Cynthia Raleigh
Jun 25, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fiction
I've always loved a good ghost story; a good creepy, give-me-a-shiver story. I wasn't disappointed. There were many things I liked about this book, including the cover, which immediately caught my attention. I've always been a fan of a gradual, subtle fright being instilled in the reader, unease that is allowed to steep as the story unfolds. Haverscroft delivered that. As the tale develops, the sense of fear and helplessness grows stronger. I formed various theories about what was happening, whi ...more
Andy Weston
Jul 10, 2019 rated it it was ok
There’s nothing new here. It’s the same stereotypes and cliches found at the low and uninspired end of the ghost story market. Of course it’ll work for some, but I am after something fresh and original.
I’ve posted a question also. I’m perplexed at the author’s use of a ‘golly’ doll in some of the early scenes. If there isn’t a point to this, why do it?
Contrary Reader
May 30, 2019 rated it really liked it
Finally! A ghost story that delivers the required chills. It is controlled and well plotted- which means it doesn’t lose its way and become ridiculous as we hurtle towards its conclusion. Think Amityville without the red eyed demon pig called Jody! This house is the diabolical, vengeful sort. And it’s characters are the ambiguous sort you need to make this kind of story credible.
Ruby
Jun 20, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Kate Keeling’s whole world is thrown off kilter when husband Mark moves her and their two young children, Sophie and Tom, to Haverscroft House. Kate’s ‘illness’ has left her vulnerable and dependent on Mark, who appears to be distancing himself from them, blaming it on a demanding job. But what is he hiding and why has he moved the family to an old house which is falling apart?

Kate becomes convinced that Haverscroft is haunted and that Sophie and Tom are the target of malevolent spir
Heidi Moss
Jun 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing
It’s creepy and slightly disturbing in parts, but so intriguing that I finished it in 2 days. I wanted to know where the strange noises were coming from or if Kate was imagining everything due to illness. Great characters and a well written narrative made this book a page turner.
Peter
Jul 25, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Spooky and a page turner

Really enjoyed it. Wasn’t obvious whether it was a ghost story or a thriller, so it kept me guessing.... great.
Emma
May 16, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Haverscroft is billed as a modern ghost story, but it's so much more; it expertly weaves together elements of gothic fiction, mystery, domestic noir and also raises issues relating to mental health.

Kate Keeling, her husband Mark, and nine-year-old twins, Sophie and Tom, move away from London to live the dream.  They buy Haverscroft House, a large old pile in Norfolk which they plan to restore.  Kate is planning to get some part-time work in a local solicitors, and barrister Mark will
WndyJW
Sep 25, 2019 rated it really liked it
This was my first spooky book of 2019 spooky book month and I loved it! It’s short, scary, well paced, great characters, and lots of suspense. A creepy old house, strange sounds, odd smells, neighbors who know more than they’re saying, scared kids, scared house cleaner, distracted husband, wife/mother questioning her own sanity, this book has it all and handles it all very well.
Nicola Smith
Nov 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I sometimes find myself shying away from ghost stories, not because I'm scared of them but because I often find them just too implausible, but I'd heard so many good things about Haverscroft that I was very keen to give it a go. I thought it was a brilliant read, one that I thought was very well executed, and whilst I don't believe in ghosts, I found this story as plausible as any ghost story could be in my eyes.

Kate and her family have moved from London to live at Haverscroft House.
Sue
Nov 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing
The Keeling family have upped sticks and moved from London to the rural town of Weldon. Kate and the twins - Sophie and Tom - will be living full-time in their new home, a big old Victorian pile called Haverscroft House, while Kate's husband Mark commutes back and forth from London.

This is supposed to be a new start for them all, after Kate's recent illness, but she cannot get over the feeling that there is something not quite right about Haverscroft, especially the spare bedroom - a
Danielle
May 28, 2019 rated it it was amazing
From the first few pages, I felt myself being sucked into the lives of the Keeling family, where Kate and Mark are clearly suffering a strain in their marriage. We as readers are kept in the dark about the origins of this strain as they move themselves and their twin children Sophie and Tom out of London to a large, old house called Haverscroft, within this country style community, practically in the middle of nowhere. This is where my creepy tingles start to begin, you just know that this is go ...more
Karen
Oct 25, 2019 rated it really liked it
When Kate, husband Mark and their young children, twins Sophie and Tom move from London to East Anglia it was meant to be a new beginning. Kate had been ill, their marriage had been put under strain and moving to Haverscroft was intended to allow more family time. However things didn’t quite work out as Kate had envisaged. With Mark still working in London as a barrister, rather than looking for local work as he had promised, Kate was left on her own during the week with the children in a dilapi ...more
Oct 31, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This story takes elements from the supernatural, thriller, domestic noir, psychological suspense genres and mixes them altogether to give you a great spooky, suspenseful read that I didn’t want to put down. Add a basket full of wonderfully detailed and believable characters, a great story and some brilliant writing and I’ve ended with a top read for this year.

Kate, our main character, and her family have moved from London to a small village in the Suffolk/Essex area of East Anglia. T
Ellie (bookmadbarlow)
Sep 22, 2019 rated it really liked it
Well this book certainly starts the way it means to go on, there isn't a lot of preamble we go straight into the spooky goings on. This isn't my usual genre, but chose to read it in the spookiest setting imaginable, perfect for a massive wimp like me.
The descriptions of the house helped build the atmosphere and the tension and I did have to put this book down a few times when it got dark so the author does her job here. There are enough characters to turn your suspicions to and it left me guess
Readingpigeon
Nov 14, 2019 rated it did not like it
Quite a dull book to read. Not chilling, not spooky. So many unnecessary details. Finishes abruptly. Characters hold back informations for no apparent reason. Many information are left unclear . Waste of time.
Literary Horror: New Ghost Story set in East Anglia 9 21 Jun 05, 2019 02:47PM

• The Glass Woman
  • Rewind
  • Ducks, Newburyport
  • Worst Case Scenario
  • From Inside The House (D.I. Graves, #2)
  • Platform Seven
  • Things in Jars
  • Snegurochka
  • This Dreaming Isle
  • A Different Time
I write ghost stories, gothic fiction and creepy dark tales. Stoires that send shivers down the spine and leave the reader with the need to keep the lights on is my sort of fiction.
I love to read dark stuff too, some of my favourite authors are Sarah Waters, Susan Hill and Michelle Paver.
My debut novel, Haverscroft, a ghost story and domestic noir, is set in East Anglia and published by Salt Pub