Start by marking “Crota (The Gods' Game #1)” as Want to Read:
Crota (The Gods' Game #1)

Crota

(The Gods Game #1)

An epic fantasy, LitRPG and GameLit novel.
By Rohan M. Vider

A Game, played between Gods… where the playing field is the world itself… and the pieces, living beings.

A young man caught unwittingly between… in a strange world, without allies or help… must battle for survival…using his wits and magic alone.

Pawn or Player… his fate is his to decide… which will he prove to
Published November 18th 2018

To ask other readers questions about Crota, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Crota

Start your review of Crota (The Gods' Game #1)
Imzy
Dec 18, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: reviewed
ARC received for an honest review
But... once again he had been seduced by the lure of competitive gaming. Rationally, he understood that he indulged in it too much, but it was a habit he just couldn't seem to kick. The thrill of victory, the adrenaline, the satisfaction from well-executed strategies, and the camaraderie of teammates was too alluring.

Okay, so I've never read a LitRPG/GameLit genre book before and the only time I've been exposed to this genre was in one anime I watched; bu
Fantasy
Nov 19, 2018 rated it it was amazing
The Gods Game is a great read.
The LITRPG elements have been well worked in. It is an integral part of the story, yet at the same time does not detract from the immersion. Both the story and its RPG mechanics have been well crafted and are believable. The central protangist is likeable, makes intelligent choices, and is easy to identify with and follow.
Highly recommended if you enjoy fantasy novels and/or RPG games.
Are Hauge
Nov 30, 2018 rated it did not like it
While Crota is action packed and has some ok writing (especially for litrpg), it fails in some of the most basic ways - after 250ish pages it ends on a cliffhanger with none of the plot-threads being tied up. And at a mere 250ish pages, this is a severe oversight. Rohan M. Vider should have delivered a finished book, not part one of a regular sized book.
Sang
Nov 25, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Amazing

The world building is great. As good as the land but the main character is not as obnoxious as ritcher. And best of all it doesn't lose anything in translation like the pitcher or the Russian litrpg.
Vince Page
Nov 26, 2018 rated it really liked it
A new take on summond heros

So the main character was summon by accident to a world prison. The world was made to hold the God's. He isn't able to be a pawn so he wasn't sent to an area with no hope of survival. If you can't be a pawn, be a player.
Brian Niemeyer
Jun 13, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Promising story

I liked the main character and story. It was a little short and some more fleshing out of the story would have been nice. That said I've already downloaded the next book.
Prav_ZA
Nov 20, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Can't wait for next one! Thumbs up. Good Book!
Hud Russo
Nov 24, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Different

Book and premise were both different and interesting. MC was not super powerful and that made it much more I interesting. Looking forward to reading the next volume.
Darren
Nov 24, 2018 rated it liked it
Was well written and enjoyable story.
I've certainly seen far..far..far… worse.
It was short, focuses a little much on mechanics but an overall good story.
Ian Bell
Oct 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great read

Interesting take on the way that games and RPG’s came to being, great story, had me hooked early on. Lots of insight into abilities and character sheets.
Rob
May 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Good but short

I saw the author pluggin book 2 about to come out so I thought I’d give it a shot. It’s pretty short all thing considered but it’s good. I like the premise and I wanna see what happens in book 2. A little crunchy for my taste but that’s the genre sometimes.
Goth Gone Grey
Dec 12, 2018 rated it really liked it
Decent litRPG, heavy on mechanics

This is a quick read ending in a cliffhanger - you can almost hear a DM smugly saying, " On that note, we'll pick up the game next session," while players moan in agony. The lead character works his way up levels by choosing abilities carefully and using them wisely, which makes for an intriguing read. The background of it being the Gods' Game seemed secondary to the main character's quest to stay alive.

The concept is interesting, the mechanics explained well, b
Matthew
Dec 03, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: game-kit-litrpg
This was a surprise find and read. I happened upon this work in an endless search for something else to read. I just wasn't feeling all my other 10 books I was in the middle of. I need something new and this came along at the perfect time for me. Idea of a world game with gods is not ground breaking but this take gave such a refreshing view on the idea. I liked the character development. He makes some good choices and bad. I am excited to see where this story and character go. I did feel there w ...more
anil singh
Dec 26, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Fun and entertaining

As a fan of RPG's this was right up my alley, a book and almost RPG in one. Great read!
Pallav
Feb 17, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Loved the book. Good start to a series. People who love the Land Series by Aleron Kong should read. Looking forward to the next book
Aelvana
Dec 16, 2018 rated it liked it
For ages, the gods have called mortals to champion them in a grand game. But for one such mortal, Kyran, the summons was unexpected on both sides. With no gods willing to sponsor him, Kyran steps in as a free agent, and selects the skills and abilities he hopes will allow him to survive. But his presence signals a potential shift in the stalemate, and the gods are eager to either recruit or destroy him.

This is a pretty solid litRPG about a modern college-age gamer who ends up living out somethin
Bonnie Dale Keck
Nov 25, 2018 rated it did not like it
kindle unlimited, usually put here if ARC but it wasn't, just a request to read it BUT NO copy although that is standard practice with requests, just happened to have ku anyway. I gave it 1 for the premise although the execution was totally lousy. I understand that more and more people are writing LitRPG but for non-gamers the stats are not only redundant but in my case {legally blind} was forced to sight read it because of lack of proofing such as were for where and other issues which understan ...more
Artrain
Note: Review contains very vague spoilers.

Despite being decently written, and having an okay story, there are two things that set this book back by a few stars for me.

Number one: The sheer amount of combat logs and action logs. For every single action that the MC does, the author throws a dialogue box. It breaks the flow of the story! I'm a gamer myself, and I'm certain many who read LitRPG are too. One question: how often do you look at action logs/combat logs? Answer is probably close to nev
Isaios
May 26, 2019 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: People entirely desperate for LitRPG
Shelves: litrpg
About 25% of the book is character creation, with more explanations than anyone will ever need of the system.
Maybe 5% is other POVs.
Another 15% is repetitions of the character sheet or skill effects.

Given that the book overall is rather closer to novella length this leaves very little space for character. Not even character growth, just character anything.

And towards the end there's a touch of Bad Moral Philosophy(tm) as well, an invader claiming he's FORCED into a small slaughter when disenga
Chris Flores
Jan 13, 2019 rated it it was ok
Shelves: need-the-sequel
Ended During first big battle with no resolution. Horrible ending IMO.

First, I enjoyed this read until the end. The end/length of "book" is too short with how much filler information boxes there are. Books that end with no true resolution to an antagonist and/or reach of a goal set earlier always feel predatory when the author just stops the book and makes you buy the next to get any satisfaction. I don't support authors with another book bought/read that do this to their readers, but if it doe
Agnes
Jan 22, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2019-reads, litrpg
I found the story well written, and the premise quite original.
It is not the only book bringing game mechanics into real life, but the way it does it was definitely quite original.

Good world building for such a short book. The gods, in particular, are quite interesting. And I definitely found Kyran, the main character, quite relatable. Instead of whining, he tries to get the best of a bad situation.
The status lists could be reduced a bit, in my opinion. But they didn't detract much from the over
Peter Griffith
Mar 19, 2019 rated it it was ok
Too much mechanics, too little story.

The book was entertaining, but this did not feel complete. The game mechanics are solid but more than half the book is spent in character sheets and point distribution, and then the character sheet is repeated. Unnecessary. Not nearly enough character development, and the action felt forced. I felt that leaving the MC in the condition he was in at the end of the book was disingenuous, and left me feeling very unsatisfied with the ending. He never even made it
Mary Wiekel
May 31, 2019 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Way, way,way,way too many stats. Constant stats. No joke, the entire book, each chapter was full of stats. I think maybe 45% of the book was storyline the rest was stats.

One time, it was stats, paragraph, that’s right one paragraph, and then a repeat of the stats. It was too much. I was willing to just skip the stats part but then it turned out that I was skipping every other page.

DNF when I downloaded book two from kindle unlimited and saw and obscene amounts of stats, so for my sanity. I quit.
Ellija
Nov 28, 2018 rated it liked it
A good first installment

A well written compelling if overly systematic first foray into litrpg from this author. The book has a well thought out story line and a main character that is not overpowered in the least. The main detractor from what would have otherwise been a solid five stars is the confusingly short length that ends right as the book hits its literary stride. If this series continues I hope the author condenses future works into arcs rather than having whole books of inciting action
Alex
Dec 08, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I really like how the author explains the game mechanics, which does take a while up to the 27% mark but I felt like I really understood at that point. I did not feel the explanation dragged on and was interested the whole time. I do like how the author started to introduce other characters which will play bigger roles in later books. I liked the game mechanics that has been explained so far I found them interesting. Only thing I wish it was longer for more story on the MC while in the game. Now ...more
Cory Rose
Dec 22, 2018 rated it it was ok
A bit confusing

Lots of stat pages, normally wouldn't mind that but two different tiers of skills and abilities many of them named repeatedly some of the numbers didn't seem to add up and basically just a confusing mess. The story was ok, but there wasn't really much of it, guy gets sucked into game world, kills a couple monsters, complains a bit about his situation, and moralizing about killing monsters,the end. Didn't care for it, maybe if it had a more coherent character sheet or more actual s
Ihaia Tichborne
Dec 30, 2018 rated it it was ok
Too much levelling, not enough story.

This story started well, with what appears to be a well thought out setting. Sadly it quickly becomes bogged down in the minutiae of the protagonist's levelling and his build. No one needs to see his entire skill tree every time he invests in a skill or ability, once or twice is enough. If this was a game this book would barely cover character creation and the tutorial, during which time he had exactly one conversation. Hopefully any future instalments have h
Frances Law
Jan 06, 2019 rated it liked it
Unfortunately, a perfect example of LitRPG

The story is good, the statistics kill it! LitRPG authors should realise that readers read, they don’t spend hours immersed in role playing games. On the other hand I think there is a limited number of serious role players who would take time out to read! Easily solved problem; cut out most of the statistics in LitRPG books! I know of one author who did this and achieved much greater success. Please take the advice to heart and your books will be much mo
Jonathan
Apr 11, 2019 rated it liked it
Ugh...

I thought the sample interesting to a small degree and thought I’d give it a chance. The story reads like a pretentious college student trying to impress his readers with how many big words he knows and the different ways a sentence can be structured. Couple that with the unending notices and overly complex game structure the exciting tale of a man trapped in a God’s game became extremely boring. Distilling the story and skimming let me like the tale, but groan at the telling.
A
May 24, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Decent but short

First I want to start and say all the people complaining about long or complicated words are very wrong. If seeing the word "adroit" or "frenetic" is really enough to get you to put down a book you need to spend some time with a dictionary.

Overall the book is good. The premise seems a bit involved but once the book got going it kept me interested. My real disappointment is that this book is incredibly short. It didn't really get started until 50% though and the last 20% is glossa
« previous 1 3 next »

• The Beginning (The Game of Gods, #1)
  • Irrelevant Jack (Irrelevant Jack, #1)
  • Shadow Sun Survival (Shadow Sun, #1)
  • Edge of Eons (The Adept Archives #1)
  • Reborn: Apocalypse Volume 1 (Reborn: Apocalypse, #1)
  • Towers of Heaven (Towers of Heaven, #1)
  • Equalize (Ether Collapse #1)
  • Class-A Threat (Disgardium, #1)
  • The Goblin Horde (Tower of Power #2)
  • Master of None (All Trades, #1)
  • Irrelevant Jack 2
  • Shadow Sun Expansion (Shadow Sun, #2)
  • The Mayor of Noobtown (Noobtown, #1)
  • Transformation (Transformation, #1)
  • Stone Will (Dragon Heart, #1)
  • Home, Siege Home (The Good Guys, #6)
  • Guild Master (Tower of Power #1)
  • Shade's First Rule (Divine Apostasy, #1)
Rohan M. Vider is a fantasy and LitRPG writer.

In November 2018, he released his debut novel, Crota, The Gods’ Game Volume I. It tells the story of a young man who is summoned to the world of Myelad, where he becomes embroiled in a game between Gods.

Between his day job and family, he indulges in his passion for writing, reading and gaming. He favours CRPGs and turn-based strategy games.

The Gods Game (3 books)
  • The Labyrinth (The Gods' Game #2)
  • Sovereign Rising (The Gods' Game #3)