Start by marking “Seance on a Summer's Night” as Want to Read:
Seance on a Summer's Night

Seance on a Summer's Night

Theater critic Artemus Bancroft isn’t sure what to expect when his aunt summons him home to California with vague but urgent pleas about being unable to cope with “the situation.”

The situation turns out to be the apparent haunting of Green Lanterns Inn—along with alarming rumors that long-suffering Auntie Halcyone may have murdered her philandering husband.

In fact, the rum
Published January 31st 2019 by JustJoshin Publishing, Inc

To ask other readers questions about Seance on a Summer's Night, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Seance on a Summer's Night

Start your review of Seance on a Summer's Night
Natasha
Nov 22, 2018 rated it really liked it
Ahhhh! what do I say? what do I say that hasn't been said?

*blows on conch shell* FANYONS UNITE!

It's good. it's real good. I have highlighted sentences (and I generally only highlight things that are very well and interestingly written). I liked it. First book I've read in a while. Most enjoyable I've read in a while. Lanyon just does it for me.

I wanted to slap auntie H. but who fucking doesn't, me dear darling?

I rate this 4 bitch-slaps right to me auntie H's face.

would I rec? **reference any an
Melissa
A complimentary copy was provided in exchange for an honest review.

Yep, this was good. I feared this would be a spooky read, which I am not a fan of (and if you are asking "why then did you request a copy?" Because I will read whatever JL publishes.) and so I put this off for the right time - when I felt like I was ready. And this isn't spooky at all, yay! This was quite funny, actually. Artemus is snarky and I like it! 😄 He has good comebacks, bother vocalized and internal. I so very much enjoy
Ami
3.75 stars rounded up

Artemus Bancroft is summoned by his aunt, Halcyone Bancroft, to come to her home in California, after his uncle died in tragic car accident the year before. When he arrives, Artemus finds that the situation at his aunt's Green Lanterns Inn has turned for the worse, with ghosts supposedly haunting the inn and probably plans for harms towards Halcyone.

Séance in a Summer Night combines some of the 'classic' haunted house and murder mystery tropes. We have a character who is dea
Kathleen
Feb 17, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery

Oh gods I hate writing anything in review about this book. My favorite author... whose muse is still missing. There was nothing new here, nothing exciting, no outstanding characters, no great world building. Yes, it was technically well written and edited, the mystery was fairly solid, but it was no AE mystery. And that's what I keep expecting.

Back to hoping for more...
mwana
Sep 03, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: mystery, mm
Theater critic Artie Bancroft is summoned to his former home in California by Aunt H. Things have been tough for her since her husband, Ogden, passed away. But Aunt H doesn't need Artie because she's sad. It's because their home, which is also the Green Lantern Inn, has been losing clients. Why? Because word on the street is, Ogden is back. And his ghost has a lot to do.

This book was amazing. I haven't had this much fun since Lanyon's Stranger on the Shore. The story is riveting from Artie's ea
Mike
Feb 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Now THIS is the Josh Lanyon I know and love

4.5 stars and highly recommended

Josh Lanyon writes M/M mystery romance mashups better than almost anyone. She sets the tone for each book immediately (some are comedic, some sentimental, some hard-boiled) and expertly maintains that tone throughout.

This book is a nice balance of nice amateur sleuthing and flirting between the MCs. Most of the secondary characters interesting, and the plotting is nice and tight.

In a nutshell, a gay nephew returns home (
MishyJo
Feb 19, 2019 rated it liked it
As much as I usually love Lanyon, this one fell a little short for me. I’m used to the fact that her books are often plot heavy and romance light, but this one had far too little romance (or sex) for me. Also, although the story seems to take place in modern times, there were a lot of old fashion elements that made it feel like we were in the 1940s or something. It was distracting. That being said, the mystery was solidly written and sufficiently convincing.
Jennifer☠Pher☠
I finished this on a hot Summer night, outside, and couldn’t have been more pleased with all of it. I ended it with a huge smile on my face.

Oh, I needed this.

Really.

This one got me right from the start. The mystery held my attention, the romance, that as a Fanyon I know will never be enough and always leave me wanting in the best way, was just that, the best. The secondary characters were all interesting even if they weren’t all that likeable. I loved that the house, the gardens and the cars we
LenaRibka

I had so much fun! A perfect book for hot summer days!

What Josh Lanyon could do really good- to write a good story. There is indeed a STORY in her every novel, we can argue about anything else, but never about THIS fact. And this one has not just summer in its title but also somehow a summer SPIRIT, and other spirits also...

I have to be honest with you, I don't like paranormal genre, but if it is told with a profound sense of humor, irony, sarcasm, and, with the icing on the cake with a lovely r
Alisa
This was reasonable entertaining but didn't wow me like this author's books usually do. Nothing about the plot or the characters stood out to me. I didn't write a review right away and honestly I don't remember much of anything about the book which is never good imo.

**ARC received through Netgalley in exchange for an honest review**
Rosa
Nov 22, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: read-in-2018, books
After finishing Geralt of Rivia's saga I was really unmotivated to read. There were nothing that appealed to me. That's quite rare for me when I'm disappointed in a book or series, usually that happens when I love the book I've read because I don't want to stop thinking in the world I just vacated. But, surprise, surprise, it's seems that works the other way around too. So when this lovely suprise arrived in my mail I couldn't resist because Mrs. Lanyon books always cheer me up.
I've been readin
Nerea
Jul 02, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: mm-mystery
We go classic mystery here. A haunted mansion.

Artemus is back to his childhood house after a disturbing call from his aunt. It has been long since his last visit and he can't believe that now it seems all people there think the house is haunted by his aunt's last husband.

He starts witnessing disturbing events too, but he's convinced that is nothing paranormal after them.
Of course we also have a mysterious gardener that it seems the only one sharing this idea so Artemus must decide if he can tru
Dan
Feb 06, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Another great who-dunnit by Josh...
Anne
Feb 16, 2019 rated it liked it
It's supposed to be a romantic suspense but there's very little romance here. There's the typical Lanyon quality writing, but I think I have read this book in different variations by the author more than once, there was nothing particularly special about it.
Shirley
Jun 29, 2019 rated it really liked it
Well, that was fun… in a totally scary, crazy, unpredictable way. Kinda what I’ve come to expect from this author.

Artemus had no problem dropping everything and coming to his aunt’s side when she needed him. He grew up with her at Green Lanterns so his devotion to her was understandable. That didn’t mean that he supported her theory about a ghost haunting and scaring away any potential guests as well as her staff. It also didn’t mean that he supported every decision that she made.

Then there was
Annika
Audiobook review

I would say that Seance on a Summer’s Night is a cozy mystery rather than a romance or suspense. There is a romantic interest, but if you are looking for steam you won’t find that here. There are also some instances where your heart might beat a little faster when the intensity is set to max, but the overall feel of this book was a cozy amateur sleuth mystery.

Theatre critic Artemus Bancroft is called home to Green Lanterns Inn by his aunt asking him for help. When he gets there
Cranky - The Book Curmudgeon
Apr 18, 2019 rated it really liked it
4 Cranky Stars

Theater critic Artemus Bancroft leaves his New York home when his aunt, Halycone Bancroft- Hyde, summons him back to his childhood home. Artie grew up in Green Lanterns and loves his Auntie H, but now it seems that her late husband, Ogden, might be haunting the home. Is it possible that his Aunt might have had something to do with Ogden's tragic accident?

Ogden's sister, Liana, insists on holding frequent seances to communicate with Ogden by enlisting the help of a spiritualist nam
Ulysses Dietz
Apr 19, 2019 rated it really liked it
Séance on a Summer’s Night
By Josh Lanyon
JustJoshin Publishing, November 2018
Four Stars

A thoroughly enjoyable read, with a great crew of characters, including the lead, Artemus Bancroft, a thirty-year-old theater critic from New York. Artemus returns to his boyhood home, an isolated mansion near the fictional town of Russian Bay, California, at the request of his aunt Halcyone Bancroft Hyde. What follows is a mixture of Agatha Christie and Clue, sprinkled with a good helping of old-fashioned Spir
Danielle  Gypsy Soul
I liked this book but a few things just threw me off. The fact that it's written a lot like a historical book but was really a contemporary. It just had an old fashion feel to it from the way the characters talked at times, to their names and a few other things. I kept having to remind myself this book was set in the present.

I really did enjoy the haunted house and murder mystery tropes and thought the mystery was well written and interesting. I liked that Artemus was skeptical about the hauntin
Joyfully Jay
Jan 12, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: sammy
A Joyfully Jay review.

4 stars

As an ardent fan of Josh Lanyon, I was fully prepared to love Séance on a Summer’s Night and, for the most part, it certainly did satisfy. In this case, it was the mystery element that really stood out for me but the romance, which is often secondary in her novels anyway, didn’t quite draw me in. It was a bit rushed and as such it rang a bit false. I could understand the lust factor and appreciate it, but there was so much else going on in the house that Seamus bein
Julie Porter
Jun 27, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Spoilers: The key with LGBTQIA fiction these days is that they don't always have to do with being LGBTQIA. What I mean is that, while there are romances about boy meets boy or girl meets girl and dramatic coming out stories in less enlightened times or in modern day in front of a disapproving family and society, that isn't all there is to Queer Literature.

To be truly equal means to cover all barriers. One of the ways to do that is to put LGBTQIA characters in genres where their sexuality isn't t
Lauren
Feb 20, 2019 rated it liked it

3.5 stars, rounded down

To be honest, I don't really know what to say about this book. I enjoyed the reading experience as it was happening; the plot was interesting, and I liked Artie's voice, and how it all unfolded. But usually Lanyon does a good job of balancing plot with relationship progression, and I found that didn't happen here - there just wasn't enough of it for there to even be a romance, and so it felt kind of unnecessary. I definitely won't be rushing to reread, but it was okay, I g
Vicki
Another sure-fire hit for Josh Lanyon. This story was great. The characters were fascinating and well developed. Artie initially came across a little high-brow but he was still a very likable chap and Cassidy was a little cheeky but loveable right from the start. The writing, as always, was top notch. The storyline and mystery were believable, well-paced, and there were just enough misdirections to keep things interesting. I have to admit that I saw a different purpose for those balloons, though ...more
Avid Reader
Aug 27, 2019 rated it really liked it
Vintage Lanyon: attractive, ever so slightly prissy M.C (epitomised by his name, Artemis?) offset by a warm, outgoing but slightly mysterious romantic interest, a haunted house, a wealth of eccentric supporting characters and a McMuffin of a mystery. I enjoyed the psychic overtones. As another reviewer mentioned, not a patch on the Adrian English books x or even the Moriarty murders but still entertaining.
Claudia
Aug 19, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: mystery, romance, lgbt, m-m
A nice, tightly plot mystery, interesting characters and a nicely done budding romance.

I liked the old names, and, really, Artemus and Seamus? That's genius *laughs*

The house, the ghost stories, the seances... they all add to the atmosphere. And, oh! I love how sceptic Artemus is!

All in all, a fun, entertaining read with the usual Lanyon's excellent writing.

Shelby
Mar 05, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
There were a few unanswered questions with this one, which was obviously intentional, but I would have rather had them answered, so this is just 4 instead of 5 stars, which is still better than a 5 star from most other MM authors, IMO.
Drianne
Feb 22, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: m-m, mystery
I know I keep saying this about JL's books, but this felt like it wanted to be a period book, and yet it was supposed to be contemporary? No one behaved like people. :(
KerriLee
Apr 19, 2019 rated it liked it
I usually am a big fan of Lanyon’s books. This one just did not work for me.
Cary Morton
Oct 04, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Séance On A Summer’s Night by Josh Lanyon was a good, old-fashioned mystery with a sprinkling of murder and M/M romance. Though it wasn’t y usual pick for a read – I am so glad I did.

The narrative was well-written. It was easy to follow, flowed well, and kept me guessing. The characters were fun and unique and the romance was sweet. I honestly don’t have any complaints. If you enjoy ghost stories or mysteries, you will likely enjoy this one, and I encourage you to give it a try. I had so much fu
« previous 1 3 4 next »
The Backlot Gay B...: Seance on a Summer's Night, by Josh Lanyon 1 11 Apr 19, 2019 09:52AM

• Footsteps in the Dark
  • Murder House (PsyCop, #10)
  • Quill Me Now (The ABCs of Spellcraft, #1; Bad Valentine, #2)
  • The Mystery of the Bones (Snow & Winter, #4)
  • Not Dead Yet (Not Dead Yet #1)
  • Trouble in Taco Town (The ABCs of Spellcraft, #2)
  • Bitter Pill (PsyCop, #11)
  • Any Old Diamonds (Lilywhite Boys #1)
  • Something Stinks at the Spa (The ABCs of Spellcraft, #3)
  • Thrown to the Wolves (Big Bad Wolf, #3)
  • Hexhunter (Hexworld #4)
  • Ramen Assassin (Ramen Assassin #1)
  • Skin and Bone (Digging Up Bones, #2)
  • Blue on Blue (Bitter Legacy, #3)
  • Unhallowed (Rath and Rune, #1)
  • Orientation (Borealis Investigations, #1)
  • Give Up the Ghost (Not Dead Yet #2)
  • Jon's Downright Ridiculous Shooting Case (Jon's Mysteries, #1)
Josh Lanyon is the author of over sixty titles of classic Male/Male fiction featuring twisty mystery, kickass adventure and unapologetic man-on-man romance.

Her work has been translated into eleven languages. The FBI thriller Fair Game was the first male/male title to be published by Harlequin Mondadori, the largest romance publisher in Italy. Stranger on the Shore (Harper Collins Italia) was the f

News & Interviews