Start by marking “Seance on a Summer's Night” as Want to Read:
Seance on a Summer's Night

Seance on a Summer's Night

Theater critic Artemus Bancroft isn’t sure what to expect when his aunt summons him home to California with vague but urgent pleas about being unable to cope with “the situation.”

The situation turns out to be the apparent haunting of Green Lanterns Inn—along with alarming rumors that long-suffering Auntie Halcyone may have murdered her philandering husband.

In fact, the rum
Published January 31st 2019 by JustJoshin Publishing, Inc

To ask other readers questions about Seance on a Summer's Night, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Seance on a Summer's Night

Natasha
Nov 22, 2018 rated it really liked it
Ahhhh! what do I say? what do I say that hasn't been said?

*blows on conch shell* FANYONS UNITE!

It's good. it's real good. I have highlighted sentences (and I generally only highlight things that are very well and interestingly written). I liked it. First book I've read in a while. Most enjoyable I've read in a while. Lanyon just does it for me.

I wanted to slap auntie H. but who fucking doesn't, me dear darling?

I rate this 4 bitch-slaps right to me auntie H's face.

would I rec? **reference any an
Ami
3.75 stars rounded up

Artemus Bancroft is summoned by his aunt, Halcyone Bancroft, to come to her home in California, after his uncle died in tragic car accident the year before. When he arrives, Artemus finds that the situation at his aunt's Green Lanterns Inn has turned for the worse, with ghosts supposedly haunting the inn and probably plans for harms towards Halcyone.

Séance in a Summer Night combines some of the 'classic' haunted house and murder mystery tropes. We have a character who is dea
Kathleen
Feb 17, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery

Oh gods I hate writing anything in review about this book. My favorite author... whose muse is still missing. There was nothing new here, nothing exciting, no outstanding characters, no great world building. Yes, it was technically well written and edited, the mystery was fairly solid, but it was no AE mystery. And that's what I keep expecting.

Back to hoping for more...
Mike
Feb 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Now THIS is the Josh Lanyon I know and love

4.5 stars and highly recommended

Josh Lanyon writes M/M mystery romance mashups better than almost anyone. She sets the tone for each book immediately (some are comedic, some sentimental, some hard-boiled) and expertly maintains that tone throughout.

This book is a nice balance of nice amateur sleuthing and flirting between the MCs. Most of the secondary characters interesting, and the plotting is nice and tight.

In a nutshell, a gay nephew returns home (
Rosa
Nov 22, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: books, read-in-2018
After finishing Geralt of Rivia's saga I was really unmotivated to read. There were nothing that appealed to me. That's quite rare for me when I'm disappointed in a book or series, usually that happens when I love the book I've read because I don't want to stop thinking in the world I just vacated. But, surprise, surprise, it's seems that works the other way around too. So when this lovely suprise arrived in my mail I couldn't resist because Mrs. Lanyon books always cheer me up.
I've been readin
Anne
Feb 16, 2019 rated it liked it
It's supposed to be a romantic suspense but there's very little romance here. There's the typical Lanyon quality writing, but I think I have read this book in different variations by the author more than once, there was nothing particularly special about it.
Dan
Feb 06, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Another great who-dunnit by Josh...
Heather
Feb 11, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: josh-lanyon
When Artemus Bancroft is called home by his aunt to help with a "situation" he isn't sure what to expect but it certainly wasn't that his aunt's deceased husband was haunting their home or the growing rumors of her involvement in his death. Will Artemus be able to clear his aunt's name when the rumors appear to have come from the deceased himself?

I can't really call this a surprise story by one of my favorite authors as it was originally serialized for her Patreon supporters last year but timing
Joyfully Jay
Jan 12, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: sammy
A Joyfully Jay review.

4 stars

As an ardent fan of Josh Lanyon, I was fully prepared to love Séance on a Summer’s Night and, for the most part, it certainly did satisfy. In this case, it was the mystery element that really stood out for me but the romance, which is often secondary in her novels anyway, didn’t quite draw me in. It was a bit rushed and as such it rang a bit false. I could understand the lust factor and appreciate it, but there was so much else going on in the house that Seamus bein
Dieter Moitzi
Feb 11, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: gay-book-reviews
If I were asked to capture my reading experience of “Séance on a Summer’s Night” in one word, I’d be forced to use a phrase that seems to be annoyingly trendy on social media these days but that would summarize it to perfection: “This!”
Take a closed setting—the whole story takes place in a family mansion near the Californian coast north of San Francisco. Throw in a bunch of eccentric characters: first-person-narrator Artemus Bancroft, a gay theatre critic currently of New York; his recently wido
Pete W
Feb 06, 2019 rated it really liked it
A classic Josh Lanyon story, but this time with more active MC than usual.

I had difficulties trying to put the time period in my head for this book. Almost everything read like a period piece, except for the specific contemporary mentions that let you know this is contemporary piece. I suspect it was deliberate, as it added to the atmosphere, the style, and the theme of the book.

Initially, I was surprised by the length of the book. With the subject matter, I thought it would be like in the 100s
Adrianamae
I have mixed feelings about this book. On the one hand, I was entertained from beginning to end, but on the other there was a heck of a lot going on, and an amount of mixed signals. For starters, I wasn't sure of the time period--the book had a past period feeling with some details which made me feel, maybe the 50's or 60's, but at the same time certain details let me know that it was a contemporary time period. I tipped more wine, and rapidly felt better. But then as I read I drank some more be ...more
Dokun888
Feb 11, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great Plot

Wow. I really liked this one XD I mean I don't think I've ever disliked any of Josh Lanyon's books, but this story stands apart from other published by her in 2018 (in my opinion). I got a bit of an Adrian English narrative feel from this book XD I guess that's why there are so many comments about classic Josh Lanyon and whatnot. The things I liked: mystery, secondary characters, humor, and of course the main couple (I wish there was more about their relationship but I don't see how it
Dee
Feb 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Josh just gets better and better

Artemis and Seamus are officially my new favorite book couple. She doesn't beat you over the head with what's going on. Pay attention and you'll be just fine. The mystery, as always, isn't so complex you just don't get it. There are no plot gaps. The dialogue is realistic, snarky and just what you want it to be. If you want a nice day spent with some kooky folks, a budding romance and a (hopefully) new interesting series, this is for you. One complaint is if Artem
MishyJo
Feb 19, 2019 rated it liked it
As much as I usually love Lanyon, this one fell a little short for me. I’m used to the fact that her books are often plot heavy and romance light, but this one had far too little romance (or sex) for me. Also, although the story seems to take place in modern times, there were a lot of old fashion elements that made it feel like we were in the 1940s or something. It was distracting. That being said, the mystery was solidly written and sufficiently convincing.
Mirjam
Nov 26, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: lgbt, mystery
I read this novel on Josh's Patreon and was always happy to see an update appear. The romance was nicely written (I'm a sucker for "I know everything about you" lines; one of them initially having the advantage makes for such a compelling dynamic), and I liked the relationship between Artemus and his aunt as well. The mystery wasn't the best she's has written, but it was enjoyable, and I'm grateful I got to read the chapters as Josh finished them.
Bb
Feb 07, 2019 rated it liked it
I didn't seem to like this book as much as everyone else did. It was a good story and I did like the MCs, especially Seamus. However the first two thirds seemed to drag on and go in circles. It was kind of repetitive. I did not understand why the aunt went along with all the craziness although it was explained a little in the end. I did like the romance. Artie hung in there which was good.
TS
Feb 09, 2019 rated it really liked it
Really good mystery. I did not get it until the end even though I did suspect one part or the other throughout the book, I didn't have the full picture until it was revealed. Honestly, by then I was totally off and that made it even better.
Bella
Feb 04, 2019 rated it liked it
It was a very ok read for me. Compared to the other books of same genre by the same author, this one lacked the thrill & I didn't feel the chemistry between Artie & Cassidy at all. Very disappointed.
Christine
Jan 31, 2019 rated it really liked it
Excellent story. The romance was a little spare...
Zane Kage
** 4.5 Stars **
Toofan
Feb 17, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: josh-lanyon, mm
An easy but predictable read.
Crispin
Feb 03, 2019
Jasko
Feb 10, 2019
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
  • Primal Red (Bellingham Mysteries, #1)
  • Any Old Diamonds (Lilywhite Boys #1)
  • Object of Desire
  • Maze-Born Trouble
  • Guilt by Association (Hazard and Somerset, #4)
  • How to Be a Movie Star (How to Be #2)
  • A Chip and a Chair (Seven of Spades, #5)
  • The Doctor's Secret (Copper Point Medical #1)
  • Back to You
  • A Frost of Cares
  • Thrown to the Wolves (Big Bad Wolf #3)
  • Truth Will Out (Merrychurch Mysteries, #1)
  • Suspicious Behavior (Bad Behavior, #2)
  • Death Trick (Donald Strachey, #1)
  • Cited to Death (Jamie Brodie Mystery, #1)
  • Death Claims (Dave Brandstetter, #2)
  • The Next One Will Kill You (Angus Green, #1)
  • The Fangs of Scavo (Stoker & Bash, #1)
Josh Lanyon is the author of over sixty titles of classic Male/Male fiction featuring twisty mystery, kickass adventure and unapologetic man-on-man romance.

Her work has been translated into eleven languages. The FBI thriller Fair Game was the first male/male title to be published by Harlequin Mondadori, the largest romance publisher in Italy. Stranger on the Shore (Harper Collins Italia) was the f