Start by marking “Water Runs Red” as Want to Read:
Water Runs Red

Water Runs Red

In a world of tyrant rulers and the misunderstood witches who oppose them, this narrative poetry collection explores ruined friendships, self-exploration, and the ever raging battle between good and evil.

“a new poet explodes into the scene with a dark, fantastical, & all-too-relatable voice. you will consider this your new friendship breakup soundtrack.”
— Amanda Lovelace
Published March 5th 2019

To ask other readers questions about Water Runs Red, please sign up.
Sydney | sydneys.books As of today, it's been temporarily taken down from Amazon due to a formatting issue. However it should we available as both paperback and ebook soon! …moreAs of today, it's been temporarily taken down from Amazon due to a formatting issue. However it should we available as both paperback and ebook soon! The paperback is in black and white while the ebook is in color.(less)

Start your review of Water Runs Red
Christine Riccio
Mar 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This collection was gorgeous in every way - the words, the themes, the visuals. I sat down to start it and didn't get up till I had finished. <3 ...more
Jenna
Mar 05, 2019 added it  ·  (Review from the author)
Do authors write reviews of their own books? What am I supposed to say? Could I count this towards my Goodreads challenge?

For the past few weeks I've been grappling with the fact that I wrote this collection. Wrote it, edited it, designed it, and formatted it. And while I was doing it, even though I knew it was a huge feat, it just felt like an everyday creative project. Like the ones I do all the time. I didn't feel like a *big deal* and even now looking back on it, it doesn't feel that monume
Gabby
This poetry collection is beautiful. I was in the mood for some poetry and I’ve been following Jenna on YouTube/Instagram for a while now, so I thought why not?

I really loved the whimsical/fairy tale vibes of these poems. I went through a really bad friendship breakup in high school and I related to so many of these poems about feeling hurt and forgotten and replaced by a boyfriend. I also loved the many Taylor Swift references in this collection, because I’m also a huge Taylor fan. This poetry
Emily Minarik
Nov 18, 2018 rated it it was amazing
y’all ready to get FUCKED UP?
Kevin (Irish Reader)
I’m so sick
of everyone telling me
that I need to find
my soul mate
— plot twist I’m my own soul-mate

I loved this so much. I don't read poetry often but this collection of poems was beautiful. The body positivity in this really resonated with me and I admire Jenna's courage to share this with us. The many poems relating to losing a friend was also something I could relate to and hit me with emotions and memories I too have experienced. Most importantly the poems on self love and asexuality s
Brooke — brooklynnnnereads
Jan 11, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This collection of poetry was beautiful, visual, heart wrenching, and empowering all at the same time. It was much more than I thought it would be and much more than I hoped for.

From the first poem, you can tell that this writing isn't pure fiction. Due to the emotional intensity, immediately you can tell that this writing is coming from the writer's own personal experiences. Whether all of these poems be autobiographical or semi-autobiographical in nature, the emotions expressed are deeply vis
Olivia (Stories For Coffee)
Jun 07, 2019 rated it it was amazing
What a beautiful collection of poems, beautiful typography, and photography all rolled into one. I’ve never experienced such a beautiful collection of poetry that I had me in awe of the writing and the photos with in it. Jenna writes about such a wide array of topics from toxic friendships to our political climate to learning to love oneself even in the darkest of times. Each poem resonated with me in different ways, and I’m so proud of her for putting her past and thoughts onto paper to share w ...more
Gabriela Pop
Mar 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing
It's hard to even begin to describe how phenomenal this book is on so many different level and what an innovative addition to the world of poetry it is. I'd like to think I am being objective about it despite Jenna being a friend, and I really do believe that regardless of that connection I would have adored this collection because it's truly special and possibly one of my absolute favourite (if not my actual favourite) books of poetry.
There is something magical about Jenna's writing; she manage
kav (xreadingsolacex)
Wow. I mean...wow. I think dumbfounded is the only word accurate enough to describe how I feel post-Water Runs Red.

I am not well-versed in poetry and would never claim to be, but I can say I am both happy and sad that this was my first real introduction to the genre:

- happy because it is a brilliant work of art, and art is the only way to describe it
- but sad because I highly doubt any future poetry books will impress me more than this one.

In her debut as an author, Jenna Clare brings to life a
Sophia Hanson
Jan 04, 2019 rated it really liked it
A powerful debut from a promising young author. Relatable, intricate, and nothing short of magical. Longer review to come!
Scarllet ✦ iamlitandwit
absolute nothingness
is preferable
to the kind of something
(or someone)
that makes you feel
alone
Jenna Clare's unique poetry collection revolves around friendship breakups and toxic friendships and also delves into mental health, social justice/activism, self-love/womanhood, white feminism, queerness, and more. Water Runs Red is just incredible and so damn creative.

I read this on kindle since it's free on KU and screenshotted so many pages to share on my Instagram story - Clare not only includes po
Grace
Mar 28, 2019 rated it it was amazing
My favourite poetry collection of all time.
I'm in love.
Hannah (FreeInFiction)
Jan 25, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Actual rating: 4.5 stars

(Thank you to the author for sending me this copy! I had won it in a giveaway!)

Wow oh wow. The imagery in this is absolutely STUNNING and I don’t think I’ve ever enjoyed a poetry book more! I cannot wait until this comes out because not only are the words going to be stunning but it is going to be sooooo aesthetically pleasing!
McKinlay
Mar 06, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2019
[4.5 stars] this was absolutely incredible. I didn’t even know about this book until this morning and then once i started reading, i couldn’t stop. I feel like anyone could find a poem to relate to in this. The layout is beautiful. You can truly see the hard work that Jenna put into it.

Friend break ups, feminism, activism, self love, this book has it all. I highly recommend it!
Mira
Apr 21, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Three words to describe Water Runs Red: beautiful, honest and (so very) relatable.

Water Runs Red is a gorgeous tapestry of magic and reality mixing together seamlessly. Even though the story is written mostly in the language of fantasy, it is easy to see the real life behind it. The magical veil of the words doesn't hide any meaning, it makes the poems raw and honest in their heartache, longing and bitterness.

The poems are paired with stunning visuals that enchance them. The pictures grab your a
Krystal Summerhill
Apr 21, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I don’t know how quite to articulate how much I loved this poetry collection so I will just add the notes I made while reading.

It’s Magical
Powerful
Hopeful
A falling apart
A rising up
Darkness and lightness in every human
Leader
Self love
It’s a fairytale.
A rebellion.
A call to arm

I am truly blown away by this book. I wasn’t expecting much from yet another book tuber book, and when it blew past my expectations, I was so incredibly happy. I was touched and mo
laura (bookies & cookies)
I read an early draft of this, and I know it will only get better before it's published!

Suddenly, I want to write academic theses about the themes and connections and parallels and social commentary in this collection.
Cecilia
Mar 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites, 2019-read
I love this poetry collection! Clare is a really talented writer and I like the themes she writes about, like asexuality, friendship in several shapes and mental health. I also feel like she capture the voice of the younger generation today, which I'm really impressed by. ...more
jane
Jan 11, 2019 rated it it was amazing
↬ 5 stars

first of all i want to say thank you to jenna for hosting the water runs red twitter giveaway & for gifting me an eARC copy of this book, i am overwhelmed and eternally grateful for your kindness 💕

to say i loved this poetry collection would be an understatement. i knew going in to this that i was going to love it, but just how much i was going to love it caught me unawares. unfortunately i am not eloquent enough to properly describe how much i loved it and how deeply it touched me, but
thomas
Apr 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing
this collection of poetry is so beautiful and stunning!! i love how jenna writes her poems so they’re simple to understand but they have such a deeper meaning and end up being so thought provoking. the aesthetic ness is also 100% on point. i am also so lucky to have seen this collection evolve through jenna’s youtube channel which i’ve been watching for close to two years. i’m so in love with this and i cant wait for any future releases jenna has to offer!! :)
Chase
Mar 08, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This poetry collection was wonderful. It was very well written. I really enjoyed the writing in this collection. Heartfelt, inspiring, and a amazing read. I really like the magical elements in this poetry collection, I felt it was done very well. I would definitely check out more poetry collection books if the author writes another one!
Candace
Mar 04, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Beautiful! So personal yet so universal. So inspiring and hopeful. Will be a constant companion as I know it will speak different wisdom and love every time I pick it up.
Laure Dombrecht
Mar 28, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book is so relatable and heartbreaking. Some poems felt like a direct reflection of my own heart. You are so amazingly talented Jenna! I will devour every book you write <3
Vivien
Apr 02, 2019 rated it really liked it
4.5

this was a beautiful collection of poems and photography.

"i've never been one
to burn bridges
but maybe
i'll burn yours
in gasoline"

topics: feminism, empowerment, religion, body positivity, mental health, heartbreak, sexuality, ...
Jordan (pagetravels)
Mar 06, 2019 rated it it was amazing
THIS WAS SO BEAUTIFUL. I don't usually read poetry but I absolutely loved reading this. The way Jenna tells her stories is immersive and emotional. Not to mention this book is designed gorgeously too. ...more
Vanessa
Shelves: read-in-2019, poetry
Um. I just finished the whole thing. I don't even know what to say. This is officially the first collection of poetry that I've read and can genuinely say is my favorite. My first impression thoughts still stand, but damn. Firstly, every part about friendship break-ups was too real. Mine was quietly faded away even when I fought with every emotion in my heart for the friendship. Nonetheless, the change led me into a 2-3 year long depression episode. As I right this, I feel nearly triggered becau ...more
Robby
Dec 20, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I read early drafts and have seen some of the page layouts — this will NOT disappoint! It’s so powerful and so beautifully written!
Brittany
Mar 05, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2019-read
These words flowing together the way Jenna crafted them is hypnotizing.

One section jumped topics quite drastically, and after much thought it still made sense. I did have to stop and contemplate what I just read and how it moved into the new section.

These words are the words of a sisters soul that were written and lost in a Lisa Frank diary in 1999 and now they have been found, I mean that in the best way possible!!! I'm so glad its in my life.

You should read this.
Emily
Mar 08, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: poetry
This book was beautiful. The poetry was more of a 4 stars however the photography and art incorporated in this were all so beautiful and I know that Jenna had devoted so much time to this book and I just think it deserves 5 stars.
Giulia
May 22, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: the-poetry, the-lgbtq
Actual rating: 3.5 ⭐️

I was definitely pleasantly surprised by this collection of poems.

It tackled important topics such as politics, body positivity, self-love, asexuality and friendship. It was definitely this last aspect that caught my attention since it highlighted the impact and hardness of toxic friendships and falling out of being friends with someone.
That shit hurts and very few acknowledge and address this argument.
A friendship is a relationship and it deserves just as much attention a
« previous 1 3 4 next »

• The Sweetest Kind of Poison
  • To Drink Coffee with a Ghost (Things that Haunt, #2)
  • The Mermaid's Voice Returns in This One (Women Are Some Kind of Magic, #3)
  • Stuff I've Been Feeling Lately
  • I Hope You Stay
  • Better Together
  • Aphrodite Made Me Do It
  • Poems for the End of the World
  • Bloody Spade (The Cardplay Duology, #1)
  • The Mirror Season
  • The Beast (Wicked Villains, #4)
  • The Stars and Everything in Between
  • Black Star
  • Seeing Ghosts: A Memoir
  • The Sea Witch (Wicked Villains, #5)
  • Giant Days, Vol. 1 (Giant Days, #1)
  • Queen Takes Rose (Wicked Villains, #6)
  • I Hear the Sunspot
See top shelves…
Jenna Clare is a photographer and writer who has spent the last decade putting various types of art on the internet. After growing up in Northwest Indiana, she moved to Nashville, TN to attend Belmont University, and from there she built a successful online following through YouTube. Her channel now has over 2 million views. In the spring of 2019, Jenna self-published her own mixed-media poetry co ...more