Start by marking “Her Wicked Ways (Secrets & Scandals #1)” as Want to Read:
Her Wicked Ways (Secrets & Scandals #1)

Her Wicked Ways

(Secrets & Scandals #1)

SHE WAS HIS SAVIOR

Banished from London for her reckless behavior, Lady Miranda Sinclair is robbed by a dashing highwayman en route to the country. By offering him a kiss in lieu of the jewels she had to leave behind, she commits the very type of act that caused her exile. When her dour guardians extend her punishment to performing charitable work at the local orphanage, sh
Published November 2018 by Intrepid Reads (first published May 1st 2012)

To ask other readers questions about Her Wicked Ways, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Her Wicked Ways

RedL.
2,5 I Could Have Strangled You Stars

I think it's a good thing I couldn't write the review for ths straight away once I finished it, or it would have been a very long, pissed-off rant. There was nothing wicked in this story, unless I count the unfulfilled promises of the blurb. I don't think this book deserve such a lengthy review anyway.

Miranda Sinclair is a spoiled, empty, ignorant, selfish, mostly shallow, privileged lady from London's ton sent to the countryside as punishment by her frigid, r
Danielle
Aug 22, 2012 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: romance, freebies
Heather *Awkward Queen and Unicorn Twin*
The book opens with a highwayman robbing a coach. Yay, highwaymen! Except there are two coaches, unexpectedly, and he sees a "female head" poke out of the second one. From page 2:

She raised her face, and Fox's jaw loosened. He just managed to keep it from unhinging entirely. She was beautiful. No, that word didn't do her justice. She was incomparable.

Page freakin' 2. And then a lengthy description of her looks follows, including mention of "eyes of an indiscernible color." Which, duh. It's NIG
Lisa
Lady Miranda Sinclair is on her way to the most dreadful place for her...the country. Her parents, the Duke and Duchess of Holborn, are tired of her reckless behavior and after almost compromising herself on the Dark Walk at Vauxhall, its the last straw for them. So Miranda is sent to the country to stay with her cousin with no money or frills from London. While on they way there, they are held up by a highwayman and Miranda, in her brazen way, attempts to trade a kiss for the money (that they d ...more
WhiskeyintheJar/Kyraryker
This is free right now on Amazon!

Read the 6th in the series and really liked it :)
Issa
Feb 03, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a free book I downloaded from Kobo and liked it far more than I expected. Miranda is banished to the country after engaging in scandalous behavior. While there she is pressed into volunteering at the local orphanage, the master of which, Fox, is the highway man who robbed her on the road days before though she doesn’t know this.

Miranda and Fox’s relationship runs hot and cold the whole book. But for reasons that felt real. She expects to return to London and he wavers between wanting to
Adrienne Monson
Aug 28, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I wasn't really expecting this to be as good as it was. Granted, it's just a simple historical romance - nothing too unique about it. However, Burke did a great job of making me care about the characters and brought the little town to life. I didn't want to put the book down and I thoroughly enjoyed it!
 ᴍɪᴄs ✖amante de los spoilers✖
Él me gustó pero ella es medio pelotuda, Fox se merece a alguien mejor. Miranda es tan creída que es insoportable.
Suzanne (Under the Covers Book blog)
2.5 Stars

Lady Miranda Sinclair has been sent away from London to the country with strict distant relations for her scandalous behaviour, in the hopes it will tame her. However, her first act in Wooden Bassett is to kiss a highwayman as he robs their carriage...not the best of starts. Mr Montgomery Foxcroft, Fox to all those who know him, has had to resort to desparate measures to keep his orphange safe, and has become a highwayman. But it doesn't seem all the bad when he steals a kiss from a bea
Jessica
I quite enjoyed this book. It had a plot of the two characters gently coming together and ended well.
There were a few scenes that could have been a little less graphic & the story still would have worked just as well, but considering the romance genre has more of these scenes written in, I was expecting as such.
I felt that the end was rushed compared to the rest of the book, so the pacing at the beginning could have used some extra speed to match the end of the book.
Other than these few lit
Curly Carla Celebrity Readers
It was very well written, I loved the back and forth between them. It was like a modern relationship set in a not so modern time.
Mandi Schreiner
I saw Tessa Dare tweet about this book and since I have no discipline when it comes to buying books, I immediately downloaded it onto my Kindle. I read the first chapter and knew I would be finishing this one quickly. I really enjoyed the first 85% of this book. After that, I had some problems, but let’s talk about the good stuff first.

Lady Miranda Sinclair has been banished from London by her parents (her father is a Duke) for her illicit behavior. Caught in an intimate embrace one night at Vau
Dolce Amore
Reviewed for Booked Up

To See Review at Booked Up

The first time Montgomery Foxcroft and Lady Miranda Sinclair meet, he is robbing the coach she is in. Although he is doing it because he needs money for his orphanage, he cannot refuse the kiss she wants to trade in exchange for her valuable things. However, she has nothing of value, her parents have exiled her to Wiltshire and left her penniless as punishment. He is charmed by the beautiful siren in front of him.

“Are you here to steal our money o
Kat ~ Forever Book Lover ♥
You can find the entire review at Forever Book Lover

What a wonderful debut! Darcy Burke has written a highly entertaining book. I honestly read this in less than 12 hours. The story grabs you right from the start and it doesn't let you go.

My first impression of Miranda~ what a spoiled brat. I wasn't sure if I would warm up to her. I did feel sorry for her as she was ignored and punished from equally self centered parents. I got the impression she acted out in her rebellious ways to gain their a
KyBunnies
Aug 12, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: blog-tour-book, 2012
Wow. This book pulled me in from the start. The writing, the plot, characters, wording everything was perfect. I have been looking for a new historical romance author and I have found her. Darcy I am very surprise you are not with a large publishing house. However, I am so glad I was offered the chance to read your wonderful books.
Meet Lady Miranda. She looks like a goddess and has the body and smile to seduce anyone into what she wants. Well, almost anyone that is not her parents. Now meet the
Barbara
Aug 13, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Mongomery Foxcroft, or Fox as he’s known to the locals, is responsible for his large estate and an orphanage founded centuries ago by his ancestors. Unfortunately, after his father gambled away all his money, he doesn’t have the funds to keep either of them going and in desperation, he’s resorted to highway robbery. During such an event, he meets Lady Miranda Sinclair, who boldly entices him to kiss her. He’s instantly smitten and comes up with a plan to marry the Duke’s daughter, hoping her lar ...more
La Mala ✌
3.5

(Aclaración: Estoy enterrada bajo tres trabajos prácticos por hacer y un hijo de tres años que no hace más que gritar Expecto Patronum!!!! y golpearme con una "varita" casi todo el santo día------ así que el tiempo para leer o dedicarme a mis pasatiempos (???) es bastante escaso; demás está decir, entonces, que mis lecturas más ¿serias? ¿trágicas? ¿complicadas? (No me salen otras palabras ahora, pero podría llamarlas también: lecturas que me carcomen la cabeza con su complejidad/dramatismo)
Sophia
Dec 21, 2016 marked it as dnf-set-aside-for-later  ·  review of another edition
DNF 51%

This sounded so promising to me when I got it. I was eager to read about a gentleman posing as a highwayman to help out his orphanage- Robin Hood, for the win. But alas, his lady was no Maid Marian.

I should have realized in the first chapter when Miranda's behavior was off to me. Through the book, she bemoans her reputation and her situation, but she sorta earned it. She was a lusty woman who acted impulsively without a thought for reputation right there in the beginning. In a modern char
Nikky Lemus
Mar 03, 2015 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: dnf
You know, when the title says 'wicked' you think crazy, illicit, and audacious, right? But the MC is a spoiled brat who cares more about her dress than a child's health! Where's the uncaring, rule-breaking young woman the description and title promised me? I'll tell you where. Nowhere to be seen! I kept expecting the heroine to uncover her deep and intelligent real personality and that "Her Spoiled-Highness" was just a facade. My mistake. She actually IS a spoiled princess raised with a golden s ...more
Katerina
A nice surprise!

I initially wanted to read 'Scoundrel Ever After', the sixth book in this series, because it's part of the 'Tempted By His Touch' boxed-set I started reading some days ago.
And then I saw this one being free on kobo, and I thought: 'Why not start with the first one?'
I have to congratulate myself for the sometimes splendid ideas I have:
This was really a very entertaining read!
Good solid writing, a nice plot and decent characters going through some personal development. Added to t
Tarra
Aug 07, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Fantastic historical where stereotypes are shattered and people are not what they seem! Humor, romance, and characters I cared about and wanted to see happy, are at the heart of this novel. Miranda is very cool. I loved seeing her growth and maturity. Fox hard working and self-sacrificing. I like how their relationship builds slowly and they both learn a lot about each other before getting their HEA.

There was a very strange section towards the end, about 80-90% of the way through (according to
 Mummy Cat Claire
I'm not sure but I think I picked this up free off Amazon some time ago. Goodreads recently recommended it to me so I was surprised to find I had it waiting in my kindle.
This book did offer a bit of a new spin. It was nice to see a different perspective on the country English folk and untitled but land owners of the regency age.
I enjoyed how the book showed a progression of the MC. I also enjoyed the characters and the differences between the cast system.
This book reminded me of the age old sa
Melanie
Jun 13, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
What can go wrong when a reckless and bratty daughter of a duke is sent to 'rusticate' in the country? Well, for starters, she meets 'two' men she is attracted to, but for different reasons. As for the 'men' she meets? Let's just say that 'both' are in a need of funds, and marrying her would solve 'their' problems.

Very well written story with plenty of entertaining characters. I liked it a lot and highly recommending it to all that are looking for substantive yet humorous romance.

Melanie for b2b
Cindy Clemens
Apr 25, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mine
The hero is wonderful in this one. He is giving up everything to continue the work of his family, when many of his generation would have simply waled away to pursue lives of leisure.

And the Lady learns a valuable lesson without it detracting from the "romance novel" aspect of the story.

Sometimes romance novels with a "moral" can become too preachy and scold the reader, but this one manages to portray a lovely underlying message while also sticking to its romantic guns.
Milena
Aug 16, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
What a nice surprise this one was for me, grabbing me from the very beginning. Really enjoyed the characters and the plot. Both characters have one of those relationships that runs hot and cold. Miranda comes across as a spoilt brat, however it's nothing that didn't get fixed with some good honest hard work, forcing her to grown up and smell the roses. Definitely recommend this one.
Hina Tabassum
It was OK.

They were both selfish. They both learned. Both evolved. The girl took more time as she was more selfish and stupid.
Mary
Jun 05, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was a pretty good book, but not one I will remember for very long. It went on a little to long for me.
Liz melia
May 16, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Highly recommend!!!! Looking forward to his wicked heart :)
Jasmine
I enjoy historical romance, so did enjoy this book. However, there were many issues in this story.

Destitute landowner Fox spends all his remaining and limited funds (and time) on providing for the orphans at Spinners End, the Orphanage that has been the responsibility of his family for generations. And when he can't quite cover the cost for the children's clothes and medicine, he dons the mask of a Highwayman and takes it from those who can afford it.
Miranda is the daughter of a Duke, sent to s
Julie Barrett
Jan 31, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Her Wicked Ways by Darcy Burke
He and he buddies are there to rob the coaches but all he is offered is a kiss. He needs money for those at the orphanage for medicine.
He finds her name Miranda, appealing. Because of her behavior she's being sent to work at the orphanage in the way of punishment.
She had hoped to help Beatrice find a husband. That kiss though, was like one she never had before.
Fox is a farmer and helps at the orphanage, his family owns and runs it. She is able to ask others for cont
Unapologetic Roma...: Burke, Darcy // Her Wicked Ways 18 34 Jul 29, 2016 05:59PM
Sinopsis en Español // Synopsis in Spanish 1 1 Mar 05, 2015 11:47AM
  • Seductive Secrets (Secret Lives, #1)
  • Love's Portrait
  • The Misbehaving Marquess (Nottinghamshire, #2)
  • Duke of Deception
  • What Wild Moonlight
  • An Undeniable Rogue (Rogues Club, #1)
  • The Beauty Bride (Jewels of Kinfairlie #1)
  • All's Fair in Love & Seduction (The Elusive Lords, #2.5)
  • Intentions of the Earl (Scandalous Sisters #1)
  • Rules for a Lady
  • The Wild One (de Montforte Brothers, #1)
  • Oh, Cherry Ripe
  • Twin Passions (Captive Brides #1)
  • Once Upon a Ballroom
  • Taffeta and Hotspur
  • The Mistress of Trevelyan (Trevelyan #1)
  • Her Husband's Harlot (Mayhem in Mayfair, #1)
  • Heiress Without a Cause (Muses of Mayfair, #1)
Darcy Burke is the USA Today Bestselling Author of sexy, emotional historical and contemporary romance. Darcy wrote her first book at age 11, a happily ever after about a swan addicted to magic and the female swan who loved him, with exceedingly poor illustrations. Join her Reader Club at http://www.darcyburke.com/readerclub.

A native Oregonian, Darcy lives on the edge of wine country with her guit

Secrets & Scandals (6 books)
  • His Wicked Heart (Secrets & Scandals, #2)
  • To Seduce a Scoundrel (Secrets & Scandals, #3)
  • To Love A Thief (Secrets & Scandals, #4)
  • Never Love a Scoundrel (Secrets & Scandals, #5)
  • Scoundrel Ever After (Secrets & Scandals, #6)
“good they’d be together, but pride kept him rooted to the ground. Instead, he gave her a lazy, sardonic smile and said, “Looks like you’ll never know.” 0 likes
“Confidence is often misconstrued as arrogance. You’re a strong young woman, and most people prefer the fairer sex to be malleable and meek.” 0 likes