Start by marking “A Dream So Dark” as Want to Read:
A Dream So Dark

A Dream So Dark

(The Nightmare-Verse #2)

Still reeling from her recent battle (and grounded until she graduates), Alice must abandon her friends to complete her mission: find The Heart and prevent the Red Lady's rise. But the deeper she ventures into Wonderland, the more topsy-turvy everything becomes. It’s not until she’s at her wits end that she realizes—Wonderland is trying to save her.

There’s a new player on
Expected publication: September 24th 2019 by Imprint

Win a Copy of This Book

• A Dream So Dark by L.L. McKinney
    A Dream So Dark (A Blade So Black, #2)
    Release date: Sep 24, 2019
    Enter for a chance to win a hardcover copy of A DREAM SO DARK!

"With memorable characters and page-turning thrills, A Blade So Black is the fantasy boo

Format: Print book

Katie (Bookwise)
    This better be the sequel to A Blade So Black . *hard stare*
    Quinn
    Mar 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
    I haven't read this book yet, but it's not going to be out for another 6 1/2 months, which means MOST people haven't read it yet, and yet somehow, 57% of the reviews are all 1-star.

Stories that center around straight white males (people who make up 25-30% of America and 5-10% of the world) don't get subjected to these kinds of pearl-clutching censorship campaigns to the same degree as books like this that center around about anybody else (people who make up 70-75% of America and 90-95% of the wo
    Samantha Sophia
    Jesus,

Can you hear me? It's Sam again. No request is too small or too impossible. So I am praying for an advanced copy, thxkbye!

The FountainPenDiva, Old school geek chick and lover of teddy bears
    That. Fucking. Awesome. Cover!!! Gimme this now!!! 2019 and The Fountain Pen Diva demands MORE PoC on my book covers and in the books I read.
    Kyra Leseberg (Roots & Reads)
    I read and adored the first book in The Nightmare-Verse series, A Blade So Black, an urban fantasy retelling of Alice in Wonderland set in modern day Atlanta.
    It was an original take with teen Alice Kingston training with Addison Hatta to battle Nightmares in the realm called Wonderland.  Readers were given an interesting history of the three Queens and then a dangerous foe arrived:  the Black Knight.

A Dream So Dark brings readers back to the action as Alice struggles to keep her two lives sepa
    ♠️ TABI ♠️
    all I ask for is more battles and more Addison Hatta
    Rachel Strolle
    HELL YEA
    Ricky
    Nov 13, 2018 marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
    Well, of course this sequel's happening. Tell us something we don't know. *insert Sherlock Holmes responding how a pig's orgasm lasts up to thirty minutes*

But seriously. I'm more than ready to read Book 2 when it finally graces our shelves.

And with a cover so bloody beautiful, I'm dying to see it in person! You know I'll be chomping at the bit for an ARC of this one just like I got for ABSB!

And yes, I couldn't help but notice the heart on this one. Just like the first book had a spade...does tha
    Jackie
    Aug 29, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
    I think I enjoyed this one more than the first!

“A Dream so Dark” takes us back to Wonderland to face off against this who wish to see Nightmares roam free and create an unstoppable undead army and it be up to Alice and her friends to save the day before the darkness consumes everyone in both worlds.

This book still played a lot to the Buffy like elements especially bringing in more of the mundane responsibilities of normal life while trying to figure out how to stop the darkness without your mot
    NC Nerd
    Aug 15, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
    This is a YA, Fantasy for 14+. @401 pages. (May change at final print)
    There is violence, some cursing, some LGBT references, and some teenage "angsty" kissing.

I received an ARC from a Goodreads giveaway

First of all, if you loved the cover for A Blade So Black, you are gonna flip your lid over the cover for A Dream So Dark. When I was young bookworm teen, I was feening for a series like this. I read Stephen King, because he was good for adding POC to his novels. These kids now have no idea how l
    Susie
    Aug 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
    Freaking ChromeBook Distribution gettin in the way of my reading this sequel to an OHMYGAWD amazing story!
    Had my time been my own since this book arrived (it’s the first and only book I’ve ever won by entering goodreads giveaways for the last 6 years!), I’d have finished it in a flash. This story is so rich with surprises and so yummy with unexpected relationships that I always feel just slightly off-kilter. And that’s a GREAT thing. I really really really love this take on Alice and her Wonder
    Susan
    Aug 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
    This book was everything I hoped the first one would be! This was excellent!! Adventure, intrigue, magic, darkness, lightness, magical creatures, kick ass women: it’s everything I could want in a fantasy book. I loved seeing all these characters fleshed out and enjoyed the new additions. Loved it!

I was provided a copy of this book by the publisher in exchange for an honest review.
    Kat (Why Read)
    May 02, 2019 marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
    Shelves: wish-list
    *To Read*
    *Wish List*

Thoughts:
    I am losing my mind! I want this one ASAP Rocky. The first novel knocked my socks off!
    Allison
    I absolutely loved this, perhaps more than the first installment. This time, being familiar with the world and the different players, I was just swept along for the ride, and what a ride it was.

As an African-American reader, it was, once again, a unique experience to read what would usually be a fairly standard YA fantasy type novel - girl encounters other world, discovers she has powers in other world, discovers her powers are greater than they should be... is she the one? - and have it peppere
    Krys
    Thanks to Netgalley and the publisher I was able to read this book in exchange for an honest review.
    ***
    A Dream So Dark is the follow up to McKinney’s debut novel A Blade so Black and picks up not long from where that book ends.

Alice had just finished one battle but things aren’t over. In fact she has an ever bigger battle ahead when her friends and loved ones are put into danger and Alice has to figure out how to balance life in her world and the work she does for Wonderland. The Black Knight co
    USOM
    Sep 08, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
    (Disclaimer: I received this book from Netgalley. This has not impacted my review which is unbiased and honest.)

A Dream So Dark is an action packed sequel to A Blade So Black. An Alice and Wonderland re-telling, A Dream So Dark advances us further into Wonderland. We fall head first into a world of wonder, danger, and conspiracy. A Dream So Dark is non-stop action. There are revelations, betrayals, and new friends. While you can certainly get lost int he action, battle scenes, what I enjoyed mo
    CR
    Sep 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
    I was so addicted to book one. And my only issue with it was that no one mentioned the connection of names from this Alice to the original Alice. Which I thought was a little weird. This one though OMG if you thought book one was good this one was even better. I spent most of the book on the edge of my seat and I could not put it down. I did think that this should have been a little longer. I have found that this is only a dualology but this one seemed like there would be more to it. I wished th ...more
    Sunny Silver
    This is the second novel and a continuation of A Blade So Black. This book is turbo charged from beginning to end. It picks up nearly the moment the last one ends. You are carried from one intense scene to another, whisked back and forth between worlds, diving into fight scenes, speculating on the identity of the antagonist, falling in love with the characters as you uncover more of their past. You know a book is good when you are a little sad it ended.
    LL McKinney also does an amazing job of hi
    Valerie Fazio
    Aug 06, 2019 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
    Shelves: won-giveaways
    Goodreads giveaway. The language is very casual which seemed to devalue and discredit the author. It felt like a teen writing a YA teen book. Needless to say, it was difficult to get through. I often love fairy-tale, fantasy spin-off novels but this one just didn't do it for me. The first book of this series was borderline bearable, however, I was just happy to be done with this one.

Would not recommend, I'm happy I didn't purchase this book and I was given the opportunity to read it through Goo
    Kate Grace
    Aug 01, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
    A sequel to A Blade So Black, A Dream So Dark is a page-turning adventure, again featuring an incarnation of Wonderland’s Alice who is powerful, layered and empathetic.

Other than the character of Alice herself, my favorite aspect of the book is how it propels readers through the landscape of Wonderland - a realm as dangerous as it is magical. There’s a perilous journey to follow, and there are heart-stopping battles and action sequences along the way.

While this sequel expands the world of Wond
    E
    I feel like I might need to read this over again to rate it. I didn't really care for wnding. I got a little confused towards the middle ending... I was really enjoying it and then it kinda fell off for me. So I wont rate it just yet. I'll give it some more time to sink in. It feels like a 3 star rating at the moment. But, like I said, I'll let it sink in some more. Or even re read it.
    Chante Marie
    ~ARC provided by NetGalley~

Well I definitely liked this one better than the first. I really enjoy the more urban take on Alice in Wonderland but the writing is just ok for me. Definitely a nice follow up - wonder if there will a third. It still has me interested.
    Kat
    Jun 27, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
    Shelves: diverse, e-arc
    Thank you to Macmillan and Edelweiss for the E-arc copy of #ADreamSoDark.
    The outstanding series just keeps getting better and better. Alice is a well-written character that you have to keep turning the page to find out what's going to happen next.
    Kat
    Jun 27, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
    Thank you to Macmillan and NetGalley for the E-arc copy of #ADreamSoDark.
    Annie McDonnell
    Sep 05, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
    What an awesome take on the Alice in Wonderland story. I am not a fan of This fairy tale, but I do love this twist! It is fabulous and full of adventure!
    Sasha
    Sep 05, 2019 rated it really liked it
    Shelves: fantasy, ya, 2019, arc, wndb
    Review to follow soon...
    Carol Eggleston
    Aug 25, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
    Was a really good story. Had not read A Blade so Black but was still able to follow the story. Love the look into the characters of the book. Lots of action and thrills. Didn't want to put it down.
    Carmelyn
    May 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
    Recommends it for: anyone
    Recommended to Carmelyn by: me
    Shelves: my-fav-books, i
    Aliya
    Aug 28, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
    I loved this! It was so good and the pacing was sublime.
    Leah Grover
    Aug 28, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
    A worthy sequel whose climax channels Kingdom Hearts-like intensity, A DREAM SO DARK has all the charm and thrill of its predecessor.

• Witches in Wonderland (Wicked in Moonhaven #3)
    • Emergence (The Infernal Guard, #1)
    • The Slayer and the Sphinx  (The Slayer and the Sphinx, #1)
    • Booke of the Hidden (Booke of the Hidden #1)
    • The Red Queen (Wonderland University #1)
    • Mad as a Hatter (Sons of Wonderland #1)
    • Jade (Three J'Amigos, #1)
    • Buffy: The High School Years - Glutton for Punishment (Buffy: The High School Years, #2)
    • Clouded By Envy (Laith, #1)
    • The Bone Garden
    • The Curious Case of Mary Ann
    • Winterdream
    • PERfunctory AfFECTION
    • Damned Either Way (The Harker Trilogy #3)
    • Wicked Wonderland (The Looking-Glass Curse #1)
    • The Lady Rogue
    • White Heart (Merrydian's Gate, #1)
    • Druid Blood: A Junkyard Druid Novella (Colin McCool, #0)