Start by marking “Vengeance of Hope: Can Freedom Ever Be For All?” as Want to Read:

(Silrith #1)

This opening book pitches you head first into the intense and unrelentingly dangerous Kingdom of Bennvika, a world of strong, powerful women and ambitious, ruthless men. As a bitter power struggle surges through the land, you are just a
Published November 14th 2018

To ask other readers questions about Vengeance of Hope, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Vengeance of Hope

Start your review of Vengeance of Hope: Can Freedom Ever Be For All?
NAT.orious reads ☾
Apr 12, 2020 rated it liked it
Shelves: arcs
3 STARS ★★★✩✩
This book is for you if… fantasy narratives set in the middle ages with lots of characters and scheming are just your thing. You should be able to keep track of a lot of characters, a distinct weakness of mine.

Overall.
I'm not sure how I know, but I have the peculiar feeling I've not enjoyed this as much as I should or could have. The story is pretty epic and intricate, demanding a lot of attention from its reader/listener. It would have probably been easier for me to foll
Fee Roberts
Vengeance of Hope by P.J. Berman is the debut novel set in the world of Bennvika. We follow three main characters, Silrith, a princess; Ezrina, a rebel; and a lesser noble, Zethun as they stand up to tyranny and religious persecution. Will they succeed?

I have to say, this is one of the best stories I have read featuring strong female characters. It was refreshing to read about a female character who is actually strong in the ways that women need to be strong. Standing up for what they believe i
Falguni Jain
May 27, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A queen turned warrior, a rebel protecting her tribe and an ambitious politician. All of them fight individually against one, the self proclaimed King of the Empire of Bennvika.

"Your ears will ring with the clang of steel on steel. Your heart will tremble at the thundering of charging hooves. You will feel the cut and slash of blades as you follow three very different rebels in their desperate fight against a tyrannical King." (Extract from blurb)

This was my first try at reading a fantasy (excep
Brooke
Nov 06, 2019 rated it it was ok
Silrith, exiled Princess of Bennvika, stands shoulder to shoulder with her followers, sword in hand, ready to defend her people. But if she falls, thousands more will fall with her. Ezrina of the Hentani tribe burns with revenge against those who repress her people. And Zethun, an ambitious politician, yearns for a fairer world with a greater voice for the poor. Will the rebel factions succeed against their ruthless ruler?

This book is fantasy, but only because it is set in a fictitious world. T
Rachael
Mar 14, 2019 rated it really liked it
Vengeance of Hope is intense! If you are looking for a more adult fantasy, this one is for you! In this debut novel, P.J. Berman immerses his readers straight into the story, putting us right into the action! The opening chapter is a doozy, setting us up for an edge of your seat experience! I really enjoyed the character development within this novel. As in most fantasy, there are a lot of characters, but each one having their own unique characteristics made them easy to distinguish. Sometimes I ...more
Matthew Moss
Aug 19, 2019 rated it liked it
*I received a free copy of Vengeance of Hope in exchange for an honest review*

I listened to the audiobook version of Vengeance of Hope and I normally review only the book and not the narration, however, there were some serious issues that need to be addressed.

-First, there were several (I believe four) spots where a line was repeated twice back-to-back.
-There was A LOT of inconsistency in volume. Usually, the dip in volume was mild and only momentary, but at other times it would last the rest of
Laura L
Jun 09, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: owned
I always love an awesome fantasy book, complete with bloody battles and strong females.

Princess Silrith was so badass, and honestly?? I really enjoyed following her story.

The story itself was intriguing and easy to follow, despite the abundance of characters (thank the literary gods for glossaries) and while it ended on a freaking HUGE cliffhanger, book 2 is coming soon sooooo 🙊

If you love gritty fantasy where the author has no problem getting down to business -- with non-stop action right on
Jessica
Oct 01, 2019 rated it really liked it
“Vengeance of Hope: Can Freedom Ever Be for All?” adult fantasy

I normally don’t read adult fantasy but P.J Berman writing style had me hook especially with three strong female characters. The book starts off strong and straight to the point, BLOOD. Vengeance of Hope is a fantasy medieval novel that takes place in the kingdom of Bennivika. I really enjoyed how the characters developed and how each character had a purpose. I really loved Ezrina rebel badass, Silrith how isn’t your typical princes
Ashwini Abhyankar
I am so grateful to the author who sent the copy of the book to me! This does not, in any way, affect my opinion of the book. I read this during the #selfpubfanmonth. I am so glad that I picked up this book during this readathon. I think, overall, I did enjoy this book a lot for its intricate plot and world-building.

However there are a few things I did have a bit of a problem with. I will address them before I get into the good things about this book. I feel like, this book had the perfect idea
Chase
Nov 27, 2019 rated it really liked it
If you love the political intrigue of Game of Thrones set in a fantasy world that still has everyone fighting with swords, sieging castles and poisoning each other to get on the throne.

A high fantasy with a princess who is robbed of her power is working to become the new queen outside of her home kingdom. Meanwhile the current usurper who is sitting on the throne will do everything he can to keep his throne. Politics and backstabbing abound.
Hennie
Nov 30, 2019 rated it liked it
3.5 stars.

Thank you Mr. Berman for sending me a copy of your book in exchange for an honest review.

The first half of the book got me hooked. The first chapter did it for me. However, later on as I was reading, the POV changing got slightly on my nerves and at times I no longer knew who I was reading as. It just got messy in my head...

That said, I liked the setting I could immerse in it and walk in their shoes, and our main character was great as well. I always liked a strong female character,
Jacqueline Terrill
Aug 25, 2019 rated it it was amazing
5.0 out of 5 starsLIONESS
August 13, 2019
Format: Paperback
After the king dies even Silrith battles for her life to freedom, a lioness, and the Hunters became hunted. I loved Silrith the most. Staying strong, even stepping into enemy militia. Blades stuck in torso's, spears, burial swords, kicking and pushing for freedom. Braking fences that collapse to gain more freedom for all. Vikings that save a nation from tyranny in the Kingdom of Bennvika.
Don Jimmy Reviews
Feb 05, 2019 rated it really liked it
Vengeance of Hope is the explosive debut fantasy novel from P.J. Bernman, and without beating about the bush too much it certainly has a place on your shelves, or at the very least, your Kindle.

The author does not beat about the bush with this book and it starts as it means to go on. There was no settling in. This book is a page turner from the very start to the very end. Our characters are placed in their respective political positions very early on, with the usurper taking power almost immedia
Ve
Jul 03, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: books
4stars

I enjoyed this book! I love a good badass warrior princess. No damsels in distress for me and this book delivered. It took me sometime to get use to the system and follow who was who and what was where, but for the most part it’s a great read! I can’t wait for the second book, the story developed wonderfully and left you wanting more!

Awesome job to the author, thank you so much for the copy sent over for review!
Justine Barr
Mar 07, 2019 rated it really liked it
Vengeance of Hope begins with one of the saddest scenes I’ve read, and the story only accelerates from there!

Readers follow different characters, royalty and rebel alike, as a battle begins after a king dies under mysterious circumstances. These characters are well developed and easily likable (or not, as in the case of the villains), the plot is very fast paced and quickly read, and the political intrigue is fascinating.

Vengeance is a great new read in the fantasy world.
Munch
Oct 27, 2019 rated it liked it
Thank you to the author for letting me have the audiobook of this for free :)

This is a promising first book, the world building has obviously had a lot of thought and passion put into it. However I found that there was a lot of info dumping and since I was listening to the audiobook I found myself getting confused. I have the arc of the next book in physical form (thanks again to P J Berman!) so I'm hoping that this will make it a bit easier (and there's a map:) ). I also had the same problem wi
Paige Green
Mar 26, 2020 rated it it was ok
Disclaimer: I received this book from the author. Thanks! All opinions are my own.

Book: Vengeance of Hope: Can Freedom Ever Be For All?

Author: P.J. Berman

Recommended Age: can’t recommend, dnf-ed

Publisher: Indie published

Pages: 525

Amazon Link

Synopsis: Vengeance of Hope, P.J.Berman’s explosive debut novel, marks the beginning of the Silrith series; a new power in the world of epic fantasy.

This opening book pitch
Tattooed Bibliophile
"Mother of many, Mother of none, a Queen will fall and a Warrior will come.
In a rain of fire and from the ashes of destruction, a daughter shall rise."

Silrith's father is dead. She didn't kill him, but she was framed by her cousin so that he could take the kingdom, Bennvika, for himself. He plans to convert the entire kingdom to his religion, and murder anyone who will not convert.

Ezrina is a member of the Hentani tribe, who has been oppressed by Bennvika for years, but has been allowed to keep
Thomas Kane
Aug 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing
The action in P.J. Berman’s Vengeance of Hope starts with a royal murder and mounts precipitously from there. Much of the story revolves around Silrith, a princess who proves tougher than her enemies expected. As readers, we watch her learn to be a warrior and learn to command respect from other warriors. Meanwhile, we encounter a variety of other sympathetic characters whose paths cross hers, several of whom, for tragic but frequently laudable reasons, become her enemies. The result is an emoti ...more
Portable.books
Jun 23, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The first time I was introduced to this book by the writer P.J Berman the cover page captured me and I know I needed to add this book to my collection😉

The second thing that got me hooked into reading this book was the quote "Mother of many, mother of none, a Queen will fall, and a warrior will come."

This book is a start of something special and different. It has a wonderful description of each and every character and the scenarios that are being taken place. I actually felt as if I was there pre
Becci
Oct 23, 2019 rated it really liked it
I was given an audio copy of this book from the author in exchange for an honest review.

Overall this was a well thought out, diverse, complex, fantasy with a lot of depth and had good pacing. I really liked how there wasn’t just one reason for the war, not just a good side and a bad side but was much more complex and realistic.

The author has clearly spent a great deal of time on his world building (religion, politics, geography, history etc ) which all showed and its clear he has even mapped ou
bongbooksandcoffee
Oct 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Vengeance of Hope by P J Berman is an intricate fantasy fiction set in an universe rife with intrigue that mimics the real world and keeps the reader hooked.
True to the narrative of the book, this prophecy gets claimed and interpreted to their advantage by many people. Religion, culture and ethnicity gets politicized. An unresolved sense of being displaced and exploited is capitalized upon by seekers of personal gain. A sense of religious and cultural siege contributes to an atmosphere of panic
Kim
Mar 30, 2019 rated it liked it
*I was given a copy of this book by the author in exchange for an honest review.
"Mother of many, Mother of none, a Queen will fall and a Warrior will come in a rain of fire and from the ashes of destruction, a daughter shall rise."

Vengeance of Hope by P.J. Berman is exceptionally written for a first novel. If you're looking for fierce female characters that are kick*** I definitely recommend this one as Silrith the main pov is the female lead we all need!

I gave Vengeance of Hope a 3/5 star rati

Ellie King
Oct 20, 2019 rated it really liked it
Vengeance of Hope: Can Freedom Ever Be For All?

I would firstly like to thank the author, P J Berman, for providing me with a free copy of the audiobook in exchange for an honest review.

Vengeance of Hope is the debut novel from P J Berman and is the first installment in the Silrith series. Set in Bennvika, a land on the verge of war overwhelmed by political unease and carnage, we follow the story of three characters as they navigate through the perils of this world. Silrith, the exiled Princess
Avely Nukk
Aug 14, 2019 rated it really liked it
Big thanks for the author for the opportunity to listen to this audiobook!

This book got me hooked from the first chapter. How can a book start like that?
It was exiting from the start and the story kept me alert for things that were about to happen.
I enjoyed the fact that all the characters were so different and I actually liked the POV changes in this book.
Lots of action, awesome twists and great/strong/awesome female characters.

TheReadingCornerforAll Lopez
Apr 04, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This work of high political intrigue and multifaceted characters marked an excellent close for March.

After the King of Bennvika is poisoned by the hands of treachery and ambition, the blame is cast upon the Princess Silrith. Despite her innocence, Silrith is deemed a traitor to the Kingdom of Bennvika and is cast out of the land she holds dear. Unwilling to yield to injustice, Silrith rallies her spirits along with unexpected allies.

Under the looming threat of despotism, will hope rise like a
May 31, 2019 rated it liked it
Potential to be great

There's a lot issues I had with this book. POV changes in the middle of chapters, conversations and scenes that didn't seem relevant to the story. The overall flow of the story wasn't that great. I had more questions than answers. I believe it has good bones but needs to be more polished and put together. It does read more like a rough draft.
Manon
Feb 06, 2020 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was so enjoyable!
Annika
Oct 24, 2019 rated it really liked it
Vengeance Of Hope is an amazing, fast paced book about politics and about how to play someone's mind. About an 'evil' new king who believes he is the closest thing to his god that exists in the world. About injustice in a world where you are either very rich or very poor. Where politicians try to play people for their own benefit and a world that shows you how important true friends are.

In this story you meet three interesting and very diverse characters. First princess Silrith, who was framed f
Simone
Thank you, P. J. Berman, for a complimentary copy of the audiobook.

This book reminded me of Priory of the Orange Tree, not because of the plot, but because of the writing style. This book is best read as a buddy read and I recommend not listening to the audio without reading along in the print or ebook version. Just as in Priory of the Orange Tree, there are so many different characters that it is a bit confusing at times. Multiple POVs within the chapters also make it a book that does not allo

• Kashi of Osaka
  • Thorn (Dauntless Path, #1)
  • So-called love story
  • Goan Chase: Take Three Mysteries
  • Jack Hansen - Small Man of the Big City: A Day Like Any Other
  • An Open Suitcase & New Blue Tears: Poems
  • The Story: A Short Read Fantasy Romance
  • The Untold
  • Ghosted
  • The Lady In The Mirror
  • Fortuna Sworn (Fortuna Sworn, #1)
  • You Begin Where I End
  • Dark Temptations: The Naughty Proposal!
  • The Pleasure is all Mine
  • The Mercies
  • Shiver (Southern Sapphics #1.6)
  • The Journey
P.J.Berman is the award-winning independent fantasy fiction author behind the 'Silrith' series. His debut novel, 'Vengeance of Hope', has been described by reviewers as 'explosive', 'fast-paced' and a 'work of high political intrigue'.

After growing up in Hertfordshire and later spending an enjoyable but brief stint living in Plymouth, Devon, he has now settled in Carmarthenshire, Wales. Given wher

Silrith (2 books)
  • King of the Republic: What Makes A Freedom Fighter?