Start by marking “Groovy in Action” as Want to Read:
Groovy in Action

Groovy in Action

Groovy, the brand-new language for the Java platform, brings to Java many of the features that have made Ruby popular. Groovy in Action is a comprehensive guide to Groovy programming, introducing Java developers to the new dynamic features that Groovy provides. To bring you Groovy in Action, Manning again went to the source by working with a team of expert authors includin ...more
Published January 24th 2007 by Manning Publications (first published January 1st 2007)

To ask other readers questions about Groovy in Action, please sign up.
Recent Questions
This question contains spoilers… (view spoiler)

Kevan
Dec 23, 2008 rated it really liked it
Groovy is turning out to be rally rather interesting.

I remember thinking that I was learning OO back in the 90's and reading GOF patterns Design Patterns book and not really getting the plot. Why did they need Visitors, Observable and Action Listeners. What was it all for?

I understood this later when working with various Java frameworks and was really quit impressed with the GOF's foresight.

Groovy strikes me as this story being repeated. The way that Meta Class Dispatching and Closure can be com
Luboš
Apr 29, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I have to give five stars since I love groovy. The only shame is that we had to wait too many years to finishing this book.
The Viet Nguyen
Jan 18, 2017 rated it it was amazing
It's turn out that Groovy is actually another great JVM language. And this book provides a very comprehensive way to learn it.
Jean Tessier
Oct 02, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: software
We are using Grails at work. I am using this book as a reference, looking up topics as needed and leafing through it to get a general feeling for the language. Groovy is a lot like Ruby, but with a syntax that is much closer to Java.

I was looking up the -p and -n options to write scripts for processing input files, and I was annoyed that there was no exhaustive list of the resources available to my script as it processes lines. The book mentions line, which holds the current line, and count that
Duncan
Aug 19, 2007 added it
Recommends it for: Java programmers
This is a well-written and fun book by the creator of Groovy that allows one to quickly start working in the language.

Why would one want to learn Groovy? Groovy is an extension to the Java programming language that allows one to write simple scripts that are Perl-like in flavor. Suddenly Java no longer feels like a compiled language. Classes may be mutated on the fly: one can add fields and methods during execution. The code is concise, clean, and intuitive. Groovy includes powerful integration
Tony
Apr 28, 2013 added it
I was learning Groovy because the new testing framework we're using at work, Spock, is built on this (as opposed to jUnit, which uses Java).

As with most programming languages, if you don't have time to do the exercises, you won't get much out of it. You have to have time to play with it.

The format of showing a code snippet, with numeric tags applied, then explaining what's going on with each of the tags, is a useful one. Not quite as good as, say, Literate Programming. But still quite useful.
Yamir Encarnacion
The Good:
This book will teach you Groovy

The Bad:
I thought that the first part of the Book (which teaches you the Groovy Language) was verbose and could have been better organized.

Conclusion:
If part 1 of the book (covering the Groovy Language) had been more concise and better organized I would have rated this book 4 stars. Also, if you are going to buy this book be advised that at the time of writing this review (June 27, 2011) the second edition of the book is available as a preview from the pu
Ivan Idris
Dec 26, 2011 rated it liked it
Groovy is a new programming language, that is based on Java, but has optional dynamic typing. Groovy also borrows features from Python and Ruby. The examples in this book appealed most to me. Even if, after reading this book as a Java developer, you still want to stick with Java, you would have learned just as much about Java as from any Java book. Groovy is after all very similar to Java.
Christopher
Apr 24, 2013 rated it liked it
I don't find this book to be very practical or well organised, although it does give you a lot more background knowledge about groovy than some of the other books. I would recommend "Groovy Recipes" if you want to see groovy in practice.
Tom Purl
Oct 31, 2008 rated it really liked it
Shelves: technical, own
This is still probably the best overall Groovy reference available. It has tons of great information that is hard or impossible to find on the web, and it covers everything from simple, command-line scripting to building web apps with Grails.
Scott
Apr 22, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Great book on a great language!
Henrique Lobo Weissmann
Oct 28, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Leitura obrigatória para quem curte Groovy e Grails.

Altamente recomendado!
Richard
Feb 22, 2011 rated it really liked it
Enjoyed the way all code examples were written using asserts.
Anusha
Mar 09, 2015 rated it it was amazing
The perfect reference, even for someone who has just began to learn the language.
Frank Palardy
Apr 19, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: java-jvm
Well written, easy to use.
Brandon
Jun 28, 2013 rated it liked it
Good Groovy book. I have no need for Grails and wished that they would have left that part out.
Scott Wilson
May 25, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: programming
Probably the best Groovy book out there. An excellent way to get a solid grounding in the language.
Trung Vo
Aug 20, 2011 rated it really liked it
- it's kind of old, it's for Groovy 1.0, hope to see second edition soon
- Good reference for groovy language. Hope to see groovy make it to top 20 language.
Athanasios
Jan 21, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Not only a great book on Groovy (the definitive guide out there) but also a nice book on programming in general! Highly recommended!
Mateusz Czubak
  • Java Generics and Collections: Speed Up the Java Development Process
  • Programming in Scala
  • Test Driven: Practical TDD and Acceptance TDD for Java Developers
  • Domain-Specific Languages
  • Enterprise Integration Patterns: Designing, Building, and Deploying Messaging Solutions
  • Java Puzzlers: Traps, Pitfalls, and Corner Cases
  • Java Concurrency in Practice
  • The Well-Grounded Java Developer: Vital techniques of Java 7 and polyglot programming
  • Beyond Software Architecture: Creating and Sustaining Winning Solutions
  • Seven Languages in Seven Weeks
  • Head First EJB
  • Programming Concurrency on the JVM
  • Head First Object-Oriented Analysis and Design: A Brain Friendly Guide to OOA&D
  • Docker in Action

Goodreads is hiring!

If you like books and love to build cool products, we may be looking for you.
Learn more »