Start by marking “The Nutcracker Curse (Cursed Fairy Tale #1)” as Want to Read:
The Nutcracker Curse (Cursed Fairy Tale #1)

The Nutcracker Curse

(Cursed Fairy Tale #1)

12 days.

4 realms.

Break the curse.

Or turn into a nutcracker.

Princess Clara thought she knew the main threat to her freedom.

She was wrong.

At seventeen years old, Clara isn’t ready to marry, and yet that’s what she must do as the crown princess of Austria.

However, getting to know the foreign princes visiting her kingdom becomes the least of Clara’s worries when she picks up a
Published December 1st 2018 (first published 2018)

To ask other readers questions about The Nutcracker Curse, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Nutcracker Curse

Nancy (The Avid Reader)
It is time for Princess Clara to pick her prince charming and marry. Clara is not ready to give up her freedom but her father is being very persistent. A ball is being held in Clara’s honor with Princes from other kingdom’s attending hoping to catch Clara’s attention and be picked as her Prince.

Clara sees an old wooden doll, a nutcracker that belonged to her mother that she hasn’t seen in a long time. The nutcracker is cursed and unleashes a deadly curse. Clara has twelve days to find a magical
Faith Russell
Nov 27, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I had such a fun time reading this book! As always Margo’s story was beautifully written and very exciting. I’m never bored when I’m reading one of her books. I had the opportunity to speak with Margo about her next adventure in writing a while ago and I’m so glad she decided to create a fairytale retelling series. I think she did a marvellous job with making this retelling her own and I would definitely recommend this if you are interested in fairytale retellings.
The story was full of action a
Lori
Nov 25, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: arc
I have always loved fairy tales. This version is outstanding! It has all the elements of a great tale. The beautiful young princess, her guard, four princes, a curse and a quest.

I enjoyed traveling through all the different realms and seeing all the different creatures. Oh, and who doesn't want their own unicorn?

I am looking forward the next book in this series. I think Grizelda is misunderstood, and deserves her own happy ever after.
Mandy Parmenter
Nov 25, 2018 rated it really liked it
Clara is the Crown Princess of Austria and her father has decreed that she must marry one of the foreign Princes visiting the kingdom - something she is not ready to do - she enjoys her freedom. However the choice of Princes becomes the least of her worries when she picks up a spelled nutcracker and a deadly curse on her is released. She has twelve days to find and feed a special nut called the Crackatook to the nutcracker or her soul will be trapped in the toy and she will be turned to wood. Sh ...more
Denise
Nov 25, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: sci-fi-fantasy
Very nice YA story about how Clara was cursed by her step-sister, Griselda and she has 12 days to find the Crackatook nut and feed it to the nutcracker or she will be trapped inside the toy forever. Join Clara and her best friend, palace guard Philip, as they follow the path that leads to the Inverse Kingdom and the seven-headed mouse king. Their journey will include three other lands where they must prove themselves in order to obtain things that will help them achieve their goal. Can they get ...more
Sara Oxton
Dec 01, 2018 rated it it was amazing
The Nutcracker Curse by Margo Ryerkerk a five-star read that will twist you. This is the first novel in the Cursed Fairy Tale series and what a start, bring on the next one already!! This may just be my favourite by this author and I loved her Adere series, but this just seemed to have a magical adventure and a great tale woven through the pages. Clara was such a sublime character that she will captivate you and astound you with her strength. I assure you if you get this novel you will be orderi ...more
Michele Evans
Nov 24, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This book was great and infused with danger and true love and perseverance. Margo is an exceptional author and her worlds are crafted expertly and have just the perfect level of detail and suspense. Can’t wait to read the next book in the series! This is perfect for a holiday read or just an anytime read with true love surviving a horrid curse and goodness prevailing over evil. HEA guaranteed!!
Kimberly
Nov 27, 2018 rated it really liked it
The book is a good teen and young adult paranormal romance read. The characters are good. The story is a retelling of a fairy tale, and is a good spin on the traditional nutcracker.

Melissa
Nov 26, 2018 rated it really liked it
I received this Arc at no cost to read and review.
I really enjoy Fairy Tale retellings and this one was excellent. The characters are fleshed out to the point where I can picture them and even found myself reading their lines in what I imagined their voices to be.
Clara is a strong young woman who becomes even stronger as she pushes through her quest. Even though there were a couple of things I saw coming, no spoilers, they were still written so well that they were a pleasant surprise.
I am reall
Amy
Nov 26, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Great book. I like the spin for the traditional nutcracker! It is full of adventure and danger. I couldnt put it down!!
Lisa Harris
Nov 28, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I loved this cursed Fairytale story. I thought I had the ending figured out but I didn’t. It was similar though. Love triumphs all! With this story it starts out like a normal fairytale you’ve come to expect then it sorta takes a Snow White turn and delves further into darkness. Clara was tested in the realms, did she succeed? This book was really hard to put down. It was a fun and quick read. I can’t wait for the next in this series. I received an ARC at no cost from the author
Nicole
Dec 30, 2018 rated it it was amazing
First let me say that this cover is straight fire, and so accurate for this story; beautiful and full of intrigue).

I love Clara. She is a spitfire. She is kind and caring. Very loyal to her family, Vienna and herself. Through out this novel, I really liked the theme of kindness and loyalty. There is a quote something like never stop being kind and brave, those qualities will always be rewarded. And that is honestly what this world needs more of. I like when a story can have all of these fantasy
Ramona Plant
Dec 02, 2018 rated it it was amazing
The Nutcracker Curse is an interesting way to bring a children story to the adults written by Margo Ryerkerk. But this doesn't mean this story can't be read to children. It definitely has a more adult element to it by bringing mouse shifters into the story, but let's face it, that has been in children' stories, just wasn't name that way. There always has been magic and the like in kids story this is just a slightly more adult version of it. If you have read some European children's stories you k ...more
Brandi Jones
Nov 29, 2018 rated it really liked it
I received a copy of this book in exchange for an honest review! :)

Let me preface this review by saying this: I am not really a fan of fairy tales. I don't even know anything about the Nutcracker fairy tale that this book is based off of. Despite this, I wanted to read this book because I am a huge fan of Margo Ryerkerk's other books! :)

This book switches between the points of view of two characters, Griselda and Clara. They are stepsisters who have been separated from each other for 10 years be
Debbie Turk
Nov 26, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Absolutely Magical.✨💕👑🐁🌟

This is Fairy Tale retelling at its finest!!👍🌟

Princess Clara is uncomfortable being hemmed in by her positions expectations. She wishes she could run free & not be honour bound to choose a Prince to marry, but her Father is insistant! As her Mother died in childbirth he has always been overprotective but after his 2nd wife attacked her he's become much worse!😳

On the night of her Ball to introduce her Suitors, Clara becomes cursed. The curse was contained in her old t
Kat
Dec 01, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Margo Ryerkerk sent me an ARC E-book copy of this book for an honest review.. So i would like to say thank you to the author because she is awesome and her books are amazing..

My review

This book is Filled with adventure, love, magic, and strong characters and is a YA Fairy Tale retelling of the nutcracker.. This book will not be out until the 1st of December 2018 and the author sent me a ARC E-book format to read..

I love reading a lot of Fairytale’s and i also like reading retellings of my fav F
The Mysterious Reader
Dec 02, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Margo Ryerkerk’s The Nutcracker Curse, the first in her new Cursed Fairy Tale series of standalone stories, is pure unmitigated fun. Read the publisher’s blurb on this one as it tells you all you need about the plot without spoiling anything. Clara and Philip have a most wondrous adventure in this perfectly plotted and superbly written tale (are those enough superlatives? - they are heartfelt, and I didn’t even mention the wonderful supporting cast). But for the fact that I’m literally dictating ...more
Shawnta
Dec 01, 2018 rated it really liked it
A great story with a good plot and characters. Princess Clara of Austria and her best friend and guard Philip find themselves on a daring adventure to save her life by breaking the Nutcracker curse. This action-packed romantic tale had me hooked from the very beginning. The different obstacles Princess Clara and Philip must overcome brings them even closer together. I have always loved stories with strong heroines and Princess Clara gives that and more. She refuses to sit around and play the dam ...more
Kimberly
Dec 01, 2018 rated it really liked it
This is a great story with an interesting twist. Dark magic enters the castle and a curse is placed on Princess Clara. The king wants the four princes courting her to find the elusive item that will break the curse and the winner will marry her. I love that Clara, not wanting to rely on or marry the princes, sneaks away to find the item herself. The search and a dangerous adventure begins, with her life at stake. This story is fast paced with action, adventure, danger, magic, paranormal beings, ...more
Becky Baldridge
Dec 01, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This author never ceases to amaze me with her wonderfully written tales, and The Nutcracker Curse is just one more reason why. I've always loved the magical world of fairy tales, the good vs evil, a bit of romance, adventure - there's just something about them that entices me. This one has all of those elements combined with superb world building and interesting characters. All in all, this story of a princess who doesn't want to leave her fate in the hands of others, who takes charge of her own ...more
Dora
Dec 01, 2018 rated it it was amazing
With little time to break the curse upon her, Princess Clara embarked upon a dangerous adventure second to none and with her life at stake. I liked and was very surprised that we had the POV of the villain with lot of insight. A smart and witty princess and an intriguing and different villain. Magic, strange creatures, interesting and intriguing challenges, lot of action, suspense and romance. This fairy tale kept me reading eagerly up to the end.
Marilyn Smith
Dec 01, 2018 rated it it was amazing

Princess Clara gets cursed by her step sister Griselda and has 12 days to break the curse or be trapped in the nutcracker forever. She sets out with her friend a palace guard Philip to four different land to prove herself worthy and get objects to find the crackatook to feed the nutcracker. On her adventure she comes up again a seven headed mouse and other obstacles. Will she be successful and be able to break the curse in time? I voluntarily reviewed an Advanced Reader Copy of this book.
Angela Pappalardo
Dec 12, 2018 rated it really liked it
This story is a fantasy spin off of the famous fairy-tale.
The plot is interesting and also the characters. I loved the main character, Clara. She is so determined!
This story in my opinion could be a perfect mix between Pinocchio, The Sleeping Beauty and The Nutcracker. The write is easy and fluent, the descriptions are great and I loved the different and lovely creatures that live in the realms. In the end you really want to know what is going to happen next!
Debbie Eyre
Dec 01, 2018 rated it it was amazing
A cursed fairytale, a land of mythical creatures, this ya fantasy read is filled with adventure, magic and of course love! Well written I was hooked from the first page and loved both Phillip and Clara and their adventure as they try to find the crackatook! An awesome fairytale retelling!
Pauline Anne
Shelves: fantasy, polankasag
The Nutcracker is one of the lesser known fairytales. I only know it because of the recent Disney film so I was intrigued by the choice. Anyway, I wasn't disappointed , a well written, gripping story that you've come to expect from Ms Ryerkerk.
Be prepared for a magical adventure .
A great Holiday read!

I received an ARC of the book.
Shannon
Dec 01, 2018 rated it really liked it
Interesting retelling of a classic story. The characters are well thought out and the storyline adds a twist to the original story that makes it unique.
Jessica Willoughby
Nov 28, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Great Spin On the Nutcracker

I am not a huge fan of the nutcracker story but I LOVED this take on it. This was the perfect fairytale retelling that was so interesting I read it in one sitting.
Rosalind Bath
Nov 29, 2018 rated it really liked it
Seraphia
The Nutcracker Curse by Margo Ryerkerk is the first book in her Cursed Fairy Tale series. This story is the author’s beautifully written version of the classic story of the Nutcracker. This story follows to young women as one struggles with the fight for her life and the other fights to come to terms with what it is that she truly wants in this world. Her own dream? Or the dream that her mother had for herself. Clara is a princess and through Griselda’s misplaced jealousy and envy is cursed. She ...more
Bethany
Interesting take on the Nutcracker. And I did enjoy the story mostly. but overall the plot was on middle ground for me. I wasn't racing to find out what was going to happen next. I could kind of see things coming. Then again, I don't feel like I wasted the last couple of hours reading this.
We've got your typical MC's (view spoiler)
« previous 1 3 next »
Margo Ryerkerk is the author of The Ardere Series, a YA paranormal series about magic, love, coming of age, and friendships.

After completing a BS in Psychology, a MS in Marketing, and a two-years stint in the fashion world, she became a full-time author and can’t believe she gets to spend her days creating stories. When she’s not writing, she loves to read, travel, and dance to pop anthems.

Raised

Cursed Fairy Tale (3 books)
  • The Bluebeard Curse (Cursed Fairy Tale, #2)
  • The Hansel and Gretel Curse (Cursed Fairy Tale, #3)