Start by marking “Fear Is My Homeboy: How to Slay Doubt, Boss Up, and Succeed on Your Own Terms” as Want to Read:
Fear Is My Homeboy: How to Slay Doubt, Boss Up, and Succeed on Your Own Terms

Fear Is My Homeboy: How to Slay Doubt, Boss Up, and Succeed on Your Own Terms

In Fear Is My Homeboy, author Judi Holler has a message: Its time to stop letting fear boss you around so you can start leveling up personally and professionally. This is a book for people who believe that they deserve more. Holler focuses on helping the reader shut down self-doubt so they can start taking action.  After reading this book Judi promises that you will get ...more
Published May 28th 2019 by Greenleaf Book Group Press

To ask other readers questions about Fear Is My Homeboy, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Fear Is My Homeboy

Start your review of Fear Is My Homeboy: How to Slay Doubt, Boss Up, and Succeed on Your Own Terms
Kristara Araya
May 06, 2019 rated it it was ok
Shelves: netgalley
Rating: 2.75/5.00

My inner introvert is shooketh (eww..why). This is, for sure, the very first book in this genre that I have ever read, and I had mix feeling about it. It's not that this book is bad, I just don't particularly understand how to enjoy this type of genre, aside from the occasional inner thoughts of "yes i know this already..yes i already did that..good idea! perhaps i can try doing that". I flew through the pages fairly quickly (not necessarily in a good reasoning). The
Samantha Kappes
Aug 09, 2019 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
This book starts off with a powerful and true fact that fear is a positive and healthy trait, and promises to help shape others views to that perspective. Unfortunately, it goes all downhill from there. First off, Hollers a white woman, writing a book called Fear is my Homeboy, which is a phrase she thinks is... funny? Oh boy. I hung in there though, or at least I tried to.

Some self help books fall directly into the trap of trying to shame the reader into overcoming their issues. This book does
Amanda
May 17, 2019 rated it really liked it
I liked how the author integrated her improv background into this book. She offers good tips for both actual bosses and aspiring bosses (the schedules for people who work at home/on their own businesses were helpful). The writing could be a bit more concise, but overall it was very good.

*Thank you to Netgalley for allowing me to read this book in exchange for an honest review*
Kesley Smith
May 21, 2019 rated it it was amazing
A GREAT read on how to turn fear into a powerful asset.

Her chapters were so insightful and she is so inspirational.

MUST read for all my fellow boss babes.
Bookishbrookeish
**disclaimer** I generally do not read self help. This was recommended to me by someone and I gave it a shot.

2.5 stars, rounded up. Fear is my Homeboy covers tips on how to embrace and even celebrate fear in order to stop holding yourself back. I liked the fun approach and I thought some of the practical tips were interesting and doable. I could see how this would potentially be life changing for some people who need this message. I think it is awesome that the author acknowledges her own self
Amani
Aug 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I first met Judi at MPI WEC in Las Vegas 2017 and have been following her journey closely since then. I have been eagerly anticipating her book release and when it arrived I was thrilled. There were many favorite parts of the book but let me highlight my top 7:

1) I love how Judi uses a variety of quotes to start off each chapter. I am a sucker for a good quote.
2) I really appreciated the stories that Judi used throughout the entire book from her personal experience as well as observations she
Lynn
Jun 26, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: giveaways
I received Fear Is My Homeboy: How to Slay Doubt, Boss Up, and Succeed on Your Own Terms through a Goodreads Giveaway.

The title of this book is what caught my eye. Fear is my homeboy? It's an attractive concept, almost everyone wishes they didn't have fear and could face anything that comes their way. For me though, the appeal was on how to slay doubt. I didn't think I suffered from fear, but rather just doubting myself and my abilities at every turn. Boy did the author prove me wrong.

From the
Amanda (Books, Life and Everything Nice)
I won this book for free through a Goodreads Giveaway. Thank you to Goodreads, Greenleaf Book Group Press and Judi Holler for an ebook copy. As always, an honest review from me.

Like:
- Inspiring and informative
- Lots of practical steps and examples too
- Short concise book that's easy to refer back to later on
- The writing style and author's personality is very approachable and relatable

Love:
- talks about the importance of loving yourself first before attempting anything - such great advice!
Megan
Jun 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This book is a fantastic read! I read it on vacation laying by the pool in less than 2 days. What I found most valuable was that the author provides very tangible information and insight on how to do the things she writes about. I appreciate that each chapter ends in a very useable summary that will be easy to go back to for reference when I want to brush up on what I learned. The book has a fun and positive vibe and leaves the reader feeling like they are capable and have the tools to make big ...more
Cherie
Jun 24, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Judi Hollers message is positive and encouraging. The most important thing that I learned from this book is that fear is a necessary emotion and not something to overcome. As Holler says, Youll realize that you will never be able to outrun, or get rid of, your fear, but you can befriend ityou can get really good at doing things even while feeling afraid.

The book mainly focuses on fear in the workplace. Although she emphasizes that self-care is essential, I would have liked more information
Aftan
Oct 03, 2019 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Unfortunately this book was not my cup of tea. I found it to be a shallow dive into basic ideas that most would assume is commonly known. It was also extremely annoying that at the end of every chapter the reader is encouraged to hop on social media and plug the author and book.

I was not able to finish the book; after multiple attempts I finally gave up.

**I received a free copy of this book via Goodreads in return for an honest review**
Blair Stackhouse
A Fun Kind of Self Help Book

This book was super fun! It was a good mix of personal stories and exercises for real life. It is short enough that you don't feel lectured to, but it is long enough to go into details. This is definitely a book worth reading!

I won this book from a Goodreads giveaway
Aug 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I enjoyed this book very much! It inspired me to embrace my fear because that means I am doing something that is challenging me out of my comfort zone. You have to get out of your comfort zone to get better and to change. This book was very easy to read, and I liked how the author used parts of her life to help the reader understand how to embrace fear.
Shannon
Aug 04, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Such a great non-preachy self help book

I won this book from a GoodReads giveaway. I loved it. I read this in practically one sitting. It was fun, easy to read and I actually got a lot out of this book!
Kelly Decker
Oct 11, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great Motivator

I am feeling like a new person right now. I love the motivational quotes that are stated throughout the book. If anyone out there wants to better themselves but doesn't know how, this is the book for you
Melody
Feb 17, 2020 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Get over yourself

How many ways can we say the same thing? Just do it. Get off the couch. Nothing happens unless you make it happen. How about you work on something instead of reading another book about why you arent working on something
Rachel Smith
Mar 20, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Loved this book!!! Great way to get out of your own way and use the fears we have to our advantage!
Ashley "@yourac" Ehmer
Nov 07, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Judi is incredible on and off stage! What a fun quick read!
Tiffany
Jul 14, 2019 rated it liked it
This reads like a pep talk that you would get from a friend. Don't let fear stop you, embrace it and get out there and show the world who's boss.
Morgan
*giveaway win*

Typical self help book 🤷♀
Christy
Sep 20, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: giveaways-2019
Great source of inspiration for me right now, as I am currently struggling with making that "jump" to my next life improvement move.
Julia
Dec 22, 2019 rated it really liked it
Great read, inspirational and empowering. A couple chapters aimed more at the self-employed or CEO types but otherwise very helpful.
Alyssa Samargya
Nov 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
SO GOOD! A must read.
Katherine Green
Not the best

I did not love this. It was just ok. There was way too much slang for my taste, and not much fresh content.
Sandra Russo
Nov 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Inspiration to the fullest.
Wendy Vazquez
Jul 16, 2019 rated it really liked it
I used this for a reading list on the Glitter Guide. It was a great, inspiration read. Definitely for various people.
Lavender
Jul 18, 2019 marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: own, giveaways, kindle
Placeholder

I won this book via Goodreads Giveaways
Carlee Gregory
Jan 16, 2020 rated it did not like it
A couple of useful bits near the end but overall the super hyped up slay lingo just didn't do it for me.
Jordan Welk
Oct 25, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Literally could not get enough of this book! So sad its over but SOOOO FREAKING POWERFUL! ...more
Sarrah
Aug 08, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I love everything about this book!! This is a book I will read over and over again.

• The Joy of Missing Out: Live More by Doing Less
  • Everything is Figureoutable: How One Simple Belief Can Help Us Overcome Any Obstacle and Create Unstoppable Success
  • Mastering Your Mean Girl: The No-BS Guide to Silencing Your Inner Critic and Becoming Wildly Wealthy, Fabulously Healthy, and Bursting with Love
  • Stop Doing That Sh*t: End Self-Sabotage and Demand Your Life Back
  • The Greatest You: Face Reality, Release Negativity, and Live Your Purpose
  • Grace, Not Perfection: Embracing Simplicity, Celebrating Joy
  • Girl On Fire: How to Choose Yourself, Burn the Rule Book, and Blaze Your Own Trail in Life and Business
  • When Less Becomes More: Making Space for Slow, Simple, and Good
  • You Are a Badass Every Day: How to Keep Your Motivation Strong, Your Vibe High, and Your Quest for Transformation Unstoppable
  • Powerhouse: 13 Teamwork Tactics that Build Excellence and Unrivaled Success
  • Untamed
  • Your Best Year Ever: A 5-Step Plan for Achieving Your Most Important Goals
  • The Slight Edge
  • Own Your Everyday:  Overcome the Pressure to Prove and Show Up for What You're Made to Do
  • How to Save Your Own Life: 15 Lessons on Finding Hope in Unexpected Places