Start by marking “Past Presence” as Want to Read:
Past Presence

Past Presence

Past Presence is a finalist for the 2019 Arthur Ellis Awards Best First Crime Novel!

Only by looking into the past can Audrey save her future.

Published April 1st 2019 by Literary Wanderlust

To ask other readers questions about Past Presence, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Past Presence

Start your review of Past Presence
Montzalee Wittmann
Mar 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Past Presence by Nicole Bross is a book I won from LibraryThing! This has a gal that inherits an inn from her aunt in a small town. Our gal has a special ability to see glimpses of someone's past lives when she touches them. When she gets to this town, people start dying. They are not just dying but dying like they did in the past life! Very interesting and full of surprises. Love the paranormal twist. Some romance thrown in there too😊!
Shanna Tidwell
Aug 04, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I loved this so much I immediately went to look for more audio books by this author and narrator. The story and characters were amazing.
I thought Audrey was going to be some prude and was so happy that she seemed like someone I’d want as a friend. So many things I’d love to say but I would be spoiling parts of the story. I can say I figured out the ‘who’ before it was revealed but I am not disappointed in that.
I glad that she did not change her mind for Kellen on the big life decision she was
Kaitlin
Mar 23, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites, netgalley
I thoroughly enjoyed reading Past Presence. It's been a while since I've been this into a book. I really loved the small town setting through the perspective of someone who moves around a lot. It sort of reminded me of Hart of Dixie, which I love. Audrey's character growth was really well done. She's given a past which explains her inability to stay in one place and her ability is explored often.

There was so much in this novel that I didn't expect like discussions around abortion, race, religio
Rod Hannaford
Mar 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This is a really good story, centred around a truly novel concept — Audrey Eames can see people's past lives when she comes into skin-to-skin contact with them. She inherits an old inn far from home, becomes romantically involved in the new town, and then the mysterious deaths begin. Her "gift" could actually work against her. There were times I just could not put the book down. The author does an excellent job building the main characters in the book, so you begin to identify with their moods, ...more
Lynda Dickson
May 24, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Ages 18+
Shelves: adult
Much to her surprise, Audrey Eames inherits the Soberly Inn and Public House from her Aunt Roz, who she hasn’t seen since she was twelve. Audrey loves her job as a consulting historian, which allows her to travel from place to place, never staying for more than nine months. Now, after meeting the friendly locals – especially bartender Kellen Greene - Audrey contemplates giving up her carefree life, staying in the tiny town of Soberly, Oregon, and taking over the business. But Audrey also has a s ...more
Anastasia Amnell
Feb 15, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I liked this book. Synopsis lured from the first seconds and I did not regret. Very interesting ability of the main character. I worried about the heroes, leafing through page after page to find out what happened next. The tension didn't leave until the end of the book. Highly recommend to all fans of the genre. I really enjoyed it.

Liv Arnold
Jan 23, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I love this world building and the writer’s style. Reminds me of Charmaine Harris.
A suspenseful murder mystery with a romance in the plot, you won’t see the ending coming. I wish I thought of this book idea.
Audrey and Kellen are likeable and made a sweet couple. Everybody would be able to relate to Audrey, and Kellen is so charismatic.
Emmy Bennett
Nov 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This book had me captivated from the start. I didn't expect the romance in this murder mystery, but all in all it was a good read.
Bonnye Reed
After a near-deadly bout of bacterial meningitis when she was fourteen years old, Audrey Eames has been able to 'see' assorted life events from the six past lifetimes - as stored in the soul - of those people she touches skin to skin. She doesn't get everything, just tidbits depending on the length of the contact, but the most traumatic or ecstatic events generally cross first, giving her an instant impression she can count on as accurate. Usually.

Past Presence is a very intriguing book, set in
Edna
Feb 21, 2019 rated it really liked it
Description
Only by looking into the past can Audrey save her future.

So, when Audrey's estranged aunt dies and leaves her the historic Soberly Inn and Public House on the scenic Oregon coast, Audrey wants nothing to do with it.
Aleana Harris
Feb 20, 2019 rated it really liked it
I ARC received via NetGalley and in exchange for an honest review.

Audrey Eames like living a wandering life. When she was a teen she was sick an experienced a near death that somehow gave her the gift to see past lives whenever she touches someone.

When her Aunt Roslyn dies she learns her aunt left her business a historic Soberly Inn and Public House on the scenic Oregon coast. When she arrive she want to sell the inn to her aunt wife Cora who seems a bit standoffish because she doesn't want anyo
August Norman
Mar 16, 2019 rated it it was amazing
If you saw glimpses of another person’s past lives every time you made skin to skin contact, could you ever have a normal relationship?
Audrey Eames, debut author Nicole Bross’s reluctant hero, doesn’t talk to her parents, nor have any close friends, working instead as a solitary consulting historian. When the death of her Aunt Roz, the only relative she every truly loved, takes her to the quaint sea-side town of Soberly, Oregon, she learns not only that Roz’s absence has left a huge hole in the
Maureen
Mar 02, 2019 rated it really liked it
When Audrey comes to town after her aunt’s death, she never expects to fall in love, agree to keep her aunt’s inn up and running, and be under suspicion of murder. And that’s all in the first month. Audrey, who grew up with a fundamentalist pastor father, nearly died as a teen. As a result, when she touches people she can glimpse into their past lives. This was a paranormal thriller, with some romance. I would like to have known more about the past lives. Maybe a sequel? I appreciate the publish ...more
P Diotte
Mar 08, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Past Presence reeled me in right away. Not only is the plot intriguing and full of twists and turns, but the characters are also complex and their emotions are believable. The attention to detail, especially in terms of the visions, is something I appreciate very much. I look forward to more from this author!
Natalie
Apr 22, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I couldn't put it down. Bross' first book is delightfully written with suspense and romance (I enjoyed when she apologizes to her parents for the romance in the dedication). A great book for a holiday or pure enjoyment. I look forward to reading Bross' next book.
Mandy Eve-Barnett
Dec 29, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Absolutely loved this book! Well crafted characters, a sense of place and a great plot, I didn't guess the culprit!
Woven with regression tales, which is an interest of mine it has wonderful elements in the story to propel you onward.
Can't wait for the next book, Nicole.
Suanne
Jun 05, 2019 rated it really liked it
When Audrey Eames inherits the Soberly Inn and Public House from an aunt Roz she hasn’t seen since she was twelve, Audrey goes to Soberly, Oregon to sell the inn. She loves her job as a consulting historian, which involves constant travel. After meeting the friendly locals, especially bartender Kellen Greene, Audrey considers staying in Soberly and taking over the business

Audrey has a secret: when a child she had bacterial meningitis, nearly died, and awakened with the gift of being able to see
Ali Molenaar
Jun 08, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: romances, paranormaal
Audrey Eames is happy living the wanderer's life. After a near-death experience in her teens, Audrey can see people's past lives whenever her skin touches theirs, and afraid of being labeled delusional, she's never stayed in one place too long or made any deep connections. But that changes when she inherits the Soberly Inn and Public House on the coast of Oregon from her aunt Roz. There she meets Kellen Greene, a young black man with a million dollar smile. At first her plan is to sell the inn t ...more
Sarah Deveau
Jun 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I really loved this book. I picked it up and read the first chapter a month ago, and quickly realized I wanted to find time to read it all in one go instead of a few pages here and there. Last weekend I dove in, and I was not disappointed. I was hooked immediately. The characters were absolutely alive for me, and I didn’t guess any of the twists and turns. I really enjoyed how REAL the characters were, there was an element of everyday-ism that is missing in so many novels and often keeps me remo ...more
cola_bear
Mar 12, 2019 rated it really liked it
4 Stars

The Good: I enjoyed the paranormal aspect of this one. Audrey's ability is to see into the past lives of people she touches. Audrey was a good narrator and I liked that the journey to fit in and call the town home wasn't instant- I think her much easier to relate to, as was her emotions concerning the death of her aunt, which brought her to the town of Soberly, Oregon.

I also enjoyed the secondary characters and the love connection she makes. The mystery was well done and Audrey's gift of
Shelley Mann
May 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I love a good mystery and Past Presence definitely fit the bill. The suspense held me right to the end...the character development was superb! I enjoyed the insert of historical events, as well as the diversity of relationships explored. I hope to read more from Nicole Bross in the future. Her writing style captivated me from the start. In future novels, it would be neat to have Audrey further develop her plans to make a tourist attraction in Soberly. Or perhaps a future story could highlight th ...more
Jen
Apr 05, 2019 rated it really liked it
This is a new author for me and I was looking for something different to read. I read the blurb and it was intriguing so I gave this book a read. I was not disappointed in the least, in fact I am so happy I chose this book. This book has everything you need to keep you turning each page to the end. I thought the story was entertaining but not over the top and was kept realistic in nature. There was a great mix of romance and mystery which I enjoyed as well. I highly recommend this book if you ar ...more
Victoria
Apr 19, 2019 rated it really liked it
This is a new author for me and I found Past Presence an enjoyable and at times emotional read. There were good characters, twists and turns, suspense, mystery, grief, death, hope, faith, love, romance, chemistry and a few surprises along the way. I would have prefered it to be a little bit longer as I had a few questions I thought might be answered if we could see what happened after for Audrey, who I really liked as a character, maybe an epilogue a year later?

I received a free copy of this boo
Brenda Moser
Apr 04, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This is a well written book with strong characters and a unique story line. The author does a great job building the story and pulling you in with the interesting mystery as well as the romance. I loved how she mixes past and present with all the different time lines. The story feels very realistic,moves quickly and smoothly and I enjoyed reading.

Barbara
Apr 09, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a new Author to me a well written story that held my interest throughout. Audrey Eames can tell how you died in your past lifes now someone is committing murder because of what she knows. Bartender, Kellen Greene is a man that she is starting to have feelings for. The story has suspense, drama, danger, murders, a really sick villain, shooting, and romance. I enjoyed reading. I received a free copy of this book via Booksprout and am voluntarily leaving a review.
Sarah Nance
May 20, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I can’t believe this was the author’s first novel. I carved out some time to read it, and I’m so glad carved enough of it! I couldn’t put it down and read it (almost) straight through. When I finished I was actually sad that I didn’t have more to read.

Such a great story, unique, interesting and entertaining.

Can’t wait for Nicole Bross to publish another! I need an entire ollection for those “curl up with a good book” days.
S.K. Gregory
Apr 07, 2019 rated it really liked it
Audrey inherits her aunts in, but she doesn't want to be tied down to it. She has a unique gift in that when a person touches her, she can see their past life. I thought this was very interesting and I liked how their past lives affected their present ones. It was an entertaining story and I would recommend it.
Avid Reader
Apr 15, 2019 rated it really liked it
Loved the storytelling of this book. An interesting mix of a small seaside town mystery combined with the paranormal i.e. Audrey’s ability to read past lives from touching individuals, plus a warm sexy romance. The writing and characterisation flow and I galloped through the story at a rate of knots. Very accomplished debut.
Kimberly
Mar 31, 2019 rated it really liked it
The book is a good mysteries read. The story has a good story line. The characters are good. The story is an enjoyable read that is full of twists, and turns.

Myreadbooks
Mar 13, 2020 rated it really liked it
I would like to thank Literary Wanderlust and the Netgalley website for this partnership.

I was immediately attracted by the cover of this book, which I find beautiful. You can see the pretty Audrey looking in the reader's direction when you look at the cover.

You learn that Audrey will only be able to focus on her future by going back to the past.

She is happy to live her life as a wanderer. Following a near-death experience that happens to a teenager when she touches someone she can see her past

• Her Daughter's Mother
  • The Sweetness of Forgetting
  • Hideaway
  • The Missing Nurse (Yorkshire Murder Mysteries #1)
  • The Girl from Widow Hills
  • Blood Ties
  • Blindshot
  • The Red Chesterfield (Brave & Brilliant Book 11)
  • The Goodbye Man
  • A Bend in the Stars
  • Little Lovely Things
  • Moccasin Square Gardens: Short Stories
  • Law & Disorder
  • That's What Frenemies Are For
  • Impossible Causes
  • Love Lives Here: A Story of Thriving in a Transgender Family
  • The Girl Next Door (Emma Griffin FBI  Mystery Book 4)
  • Fighting Absolution
Nicole Bross is an author from Calgary, Alberta, Canada, where she lives with her husband, two children and one very large orange cat. When she’s not writing or working as the editor of Birthing Magazine, she can be found curled up with a book, messing around with her ever-expanding collection of manual typewriters or in the departures lounge of the airport at the beginning of another adventure.