Start by marking “A History of Shakespeare on Screen: A Century of Film and Television” as Want to Read:
A History of Shakespeare on Screen: A Century of Film and Television

A History of Shakespeare on Screen: A Century of Film and Television

3.67  ·  Rating details ·  18 Ratings  ·  3 Reviews
A History of Shakespeare on Screen: A Century of Film and Television chronicles how film-makers have re-imagined Shakespeare's plays in moving images from their earliest exhibition in nickelodeons to today's multi-million dollar productions shown in multiplexes. Topics covered include the silent era, Hollywood in the 1930s, the films of Laurence Olivier and Orson Welles, t ...more
Published March 12th 2001 by Cambridge University Press (first published September 28th 1999)

To ask other readers questions about A History of Shakespeare on Screen, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A History of Shakespeare on Screen

Tony
Jun 01, 2013 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: Shakespeare fans, film study majors
I read this as part of my project to watch all the Shakespeare films I could get my hands on free through interlibrary loan or included in Amazon Prime or Netflix (both of which have surprisingly few Shakespeare films available for streaming). From this book I learned that there's a lot more to film studies than I thought. For one thing, according to Rothwell, every time there's a Medieval battle scene involving a cavalry charge, it's an obvious reference to Eisenstein's Alexander Nevsky. It mig ...more
Oct 28, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I only plucked this off the library shelf because I was struggling with filmic adaptations of Henry V. There's a really good section on Laurence Olivier and I found some little bots and bobs that helped, but I felt that the book as a whole is rushed.

It packs in a lot of information (I haven't read this cover to cover, but I've dipped into most of the chapters) but I felt that perhaps there could have been more focus on he iconic adaptations, including Olivier and Branagh's Henry V.

It's a good bo
Mike Jensen
Apr 23, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Ken Rothwell's first edition is wider than it is deep, but still a remarkable achievement. Every Shakespeare film known up to the time of writing gets some sort of listing and Ken wrote the big picture narrative of Shakespeare films very well.
MKat