Start by marking “The Starter Wife” as Want to Read:
The Starter Wife

The Starter Wife

Local police have announced that they're closing the investigation of the suspected drowning of 37-year-old painter Colleen Westcott. She disappeared on April 11, 2010, and her car was found parked near the waterfront in Cleveland two days later, but her body has never been found. The chief of police has stated that no concrete evidence of foul play has been discovered in ...more
Published July 9th 2019 by Grand Central Publishing (first published June 11th 2019)

Katie B
Well that was a crazy and wild ride! It was entertaining for sure but there were a few problems I had with it while reading. It was still enjoyable though and would make a darn good summer beach read.

Claire is married to Byron, a college professor. Byron's first wife aka the starter wife, Colleen, committed suicide while they were married, and Claire has always felt like she was in Colleen's shadow. It is probably hard to shake that feeling when they live in Colleen's nice home, spend money from
Dita
Jun 29, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: netgalley
Thank you to NetGalley for the sample; quite the teaser.
marilyn
Jun 10, 2019 rated it liked it
The Starter Wife has two unreliable narrators. There is the mysterious student who is stalking college professor Byron and his wife and there is Claire, Byron's second wife. The student feels that Byron's wife if not worthy of him and that she must protect him from her devious ways. She actually considers herself his "Guardian Angel", determined that at some point she will be married to Byron and he will know she is the perfect wife for him.

Claire is dealing with feelings of jealousy and resentm
Julie (JuJu)
**Update** Thank you to the wonderful Nina Laurin, who sent me a signed copy of her book (all the way from Canada 🇨🇦, where my husband is also from 😊 ) after I won it in her drawing! This is the best book mail I’ve received so far! 💜 I have your other books and will be reading them when I get a chance. Thank you again Ms. Laurin. I can’t express how excited I was to receive it...you made my day! 😊 You are truly a thoughtful and generous author!!!

This one started a little slow, then picked up an
Mandy White
Jun 05, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The Starter Wife by Nina Laurin was absolute roller coaster of a domestic suspense book. In the beginning it was a tad confusing but as I got into it more I couldn't put it down. That ending was just crazy - and I loved it. When a book goes off on so many tangents and keeps you guessing I know it is a good book!

Claire is Byron's second wife. They seems relatively happy but the shadow of Colleen - Bryon's first wife who committed suicide- hangs over their relationship. Byron is still in love with
Lou
Jun 13, 2019 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
The Starter Wife is Nina Laurin's third thriller, but I have to say that I found it 8 parts women's fiction and only 2 parts resembling a thriller. It also has a premise that has been done to death and doesn't have anything new to add or offer over and above those books. I didn't find myself gripped at any stage and the characters certainly didn't help as they were bitchy, quite juvenile and infuriating. Most of the twists were quite obvious and the middle section dragged so much that I debated ...more
Mark
Jun 17, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition

Interesting idea and fairly well done
First though got to say that the lead lady Claire gets nausea, about everything and anything, and barely a page goes past without her for one reason or another telling us!
That aside ( oh and her love of drink, somewhat a pre requisite of many books now, a lead lady who drinks 24/7 ) this is a domestic thriller thats more domestic than thriller but when it is thrilling it really is!!
Its a story, confusing at times, about ultimate class A stalking and the lengt
Betsy
Jun 07, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Well that was fun!

Other than what's already in the blurb, there's very little I can say about the plot--there's a huge, game-changing twist in this one, so I don't want to spoil anything. I stayed up far too late to finish reading because I was determined to see how this unfolded. Laurin knew how to keep me turning pages!

There was one not-so-teeny thing I had to overlook in order to keep enjoying this story--Google.

Byron, the former husband of the "starter wife," becomes involved with a series
Magdalena aka A Bookaholic Swede
Out of all the books I've read by Nina Laurin is this the one I had the hardest time reading. Both What My Sister Knew and Girl Last Seen are great thrillers, while this took forever for me to get into. Now, I think it's because I right from the start felt very, very annoyed with Claire, the main character. And, the more I read the less I liked her. What kept me going was the fact that I wanted to know what the heck is going one and if Colleen really committed suicide. The best part was the last ...more
Katrina [mycheckedoutbooks]
Wow.. The starter wife was an addicting read that I couldn't get enough of! This is my first Nina Laurin book and it really ended up being a good read that has gotten me out of my reading slump.

I have been totally obsessed with domestic thrillers and this really knocked it out of the park for me. It had everything I look for in a domestic thriller. It had so many lies, secrets, betrayal, multiple wives, obsession and murder!

The starter wife was well written with well thought out plot and charact
Bradley
May 25, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2019-shelf, mystery
Cuckoo! Cuckoo! :)

This is definitely for all you mystery/thriller fans out there who can't get enough of your CRAZY WOMEN. You know, the Single White Female types, the Fatal Attraction types... or even Gone Girl. :)

All the nastiest tropes of our favorite crazy girls are upped here for our reading pleasure, evoking gales of disturbed laughter from tortured chests. :)

Fun. Good, evil fun. :)
Brandy
Jun 16, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: netgalley
He loves her, he loves her not, he loves her he loves her not....

“True love only gives and asks for nothing in return.”

The Starter Wife, takes you down the aisle of marriage bliss and makes you realize what one will do to keep the spark of love alive - and just how far they’ll go to keep their mate by their side. After all, in love and marriage, it’s until death do you part, right? 4.5 stars
ʚϊɞ Shelley ʚϊɞ
Jun 12, 2019 rated it really liked it

20515174

They will all think I’m crazy, insane, psychotic, but what else is love but madness? Isn’t that what all the great novels are about?

I was totally enthralled by the book from the very beginning. The writing made the characters come to life easily and with power. The twist at the end was something I didn’t expect. I liked how the book went through different narratives...one of my favourite types of thrillers.

The story was very engrossing. This book is packed with so many layers, each one c
Sabrina
Jun 12, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
NOW LIVE!
Amazon US * Amazon UK

The Starter Wife took me on one crazy journey, and I enjoyed every second of it. I was scratching my head in confusion and second guessing myself so many times, which I thought was brilliant. The book had me going back and forth thinking I knew everything and knew what was going on, but then I'd go back to having no clue and coming up with a bunch of different theories. It was completely captivating.

This was actually my first book from Nina Laurin but it certainly
Ludwig
4,5 STARS happily rounded-up.

Claire can't help but feel like she's living under the shadow of her husband's first wife, Colleen, who died under very strange circumstances. This woman was reported to have jumped into the water one night, presumably as a suicide attempt. Her body though. It just vanished.

This is not your typical domestic thriller, it sure starts out as one but then BAM!...completely catches you off guard - that horrifying twist at the end, like a slap in your face. I remember just
Calista Andrechek
Thank you to NetGalley, Nina Laurin and Grand Central Publishing for the free e-book in exchange for an honest review.

Claire begins to get suspicious of what her husband is up too, so she looks up the story behind her husband’s missing first wife and finds out that she disappeared in suspicious circumstances. Claire is getting phone calls with no one on the other end and e-mails that scare her. One of those phone calls a woman answers and knows more about Claire than she should; is Colleen, his
Jannelies
Apr 24, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: five-stars, thriller
'A gripping thriller'... Yes!
We meet Claire Westcott, 27, married to successfull professor in literature Byron Westcott, some 20 years her senior. Claire is not very happy. She met Byron when he was already a widower. His first wife, famous artist Colleen May, disappeared a few years ago. She seems to have been mentally unstable and presumably drowned herself. Her body was never found...
Claire's written a manuscript, but she is not succeeding in selling it. In the mean time, she takes care of B
Chelsey
May 28, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: giveaways-arcs
“I’m overcome with a sensation of vulnerability, alone and exposed in this airy room like a goldfish that becomes aware of her tank for the first time.”

Claire and Byron have been married for a few years. Byron’s first wife, Colleen, died ten years ago in an apparent suicide and to Claire, it’s clear he has not moved on from her death. Colleen’s paintings still adorn the walls of every room in the house they shared and he won’t let Claire redecorate even though she now lives there with him. Even
Jamie
Apr 29, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: arcs
3.5 Stars to The Starter Wife!

Claire is Byron's second wife, he's about 20 years her senior and there's a bunch of indicators that he may not be over his first wife, Colleen, who died 10 years earlier, but who's body was never found. When Claire gets a phone call that seems that it might be from Colleen, it's the thread that begins to make the whole quilt unravel.

This book started out with extreme promise but as it moved forward it started to lose me a bit. The concept of the unreliable wife is
lovebooks
Apr 05, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: netgalley
. The starter wife is about Byron a college professor and Claire his 20 something wife. There is suspension that Byron killed his first wife Colleen. Her body has never been found. Edge of your seat suspense.
Paula  Phillips
Having read Nina Laurin's previous books, when I saw The Starter Wife pop up for reading/review on NetGalley. It was one I was requesting as I have loved her previous books with their twists and turns. The Starter Wife which seems to be a theme lately for psychological thrillers from Verity by Colleen Hoover to The Wives by Tarryn Fisher and The Third Mrs. Durst by Ann Agguire. In The Starter Wife by Nina Laurin, we have a scene in a diner which feels like an obsessive stalker romance, and then ...more
Angela
Mar 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
For the first time in a while I liked something enough to want to review it, so of course it’s impossible to do that without spoilers.

I’m sure going to try.

Mark my words: this book is going to be big. It’s also going to be talked about. What The Starter Wife does is toy with your expectations and upend your favorite tropes to shake the dust out. I’m not exaggerating. It’s that good.

The blurb on the back is in the same style as Laurin’s other novels: infuriating, holding out on detail yet givin
Stacy Coleman
Mar 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I've pretty much given up on suspense. But I liked the author's first book (the second was solid too, but not the same wow factor) so I thought why the hell not, and requested.
Well, I... did not expect that.

(view spoiler)
Karen Lyn
Mar 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Really, it's better to be completely in the dark as you go in, so I'm not going to spoil it, but I see this book becoming part of the domestic thriller canon. Nina Laurin hit it out of the ballpark this time. And such a fabulous, infuriating ending!

Big thank you to Nina Laurin and the publishers for the advance copy.
Megan
Mar 31, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The Starter Wife by Nina Laurin is an addictingly thrilling book. Claire is the second wife of the older professor Byron. Byron's first wife Colleen was a famous painter who committed suicide but whose body was never found. Despite their age difference, Claire and Byron fell madly in love and married. Claire moved in with Byron into the home that Colleen had carefully decorated and Byron seems to have trouble letting go of his dead wife and her possessions. Claire works from home as a writer; as ...more
Cassandra Ramos
The Starter Wife is a book that keeps the reader on edge trying to figure out exactly what is going on. When I started this book I had so many questions that needed to be answered and found myself so irritated with Claire and her naïveté so much so I realized I was talking out loud one day while reading it and a co-worker ask good book ? Lol. I would say that any book that gets under ones skin is a good book but that is not always the case. But luckily it is for me with this one.

Claire Wescott i
Morgan Schulman
Mar 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: reader-s-copy
I received an advanced reader's copy in exchange for an honest review

A powerhouse of a thriller, everything about this book was superb . The characters, the narration, the twist, the plot. A very refreshing take on the female sociopath trope . One of those books where everyone is an asshole but you enjoy it anyhow.
Edna
Mar 12, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
WOW. his was an amazing book. The writing style is very intriguing as well. I finished one big read.
I will definitely recommend this book to others. I have yet to read this writer be I am so glad I did.
Thank you, NetGalley and the Publisher for an advance copy.
Laura (lauralovestoread) Gelinas
The Starter Wife was a roller coaster of twists and turns for me. I loved the unreliable characters and trying to guess how the story would unfold.

Going into this book, I didn’t know what to expect, other than a woman named Colleen had disappeared, with a suspected suicide, and her husband left to unravel the clues to her disappearance.

As with most mystery/thriller novels, it’s best to go in with as little details to avoid any spoilers, which is what I did.

Sherri Thacker
As much as I tried I just could not get into this book. I gave up at 56%.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
Goodreads Librari...: Combine Editions of "The Starter Wife" by Nina Laurin 2 11 Jul 16, 2019 02:35AM