Start by marking “Retrieve (The Stormers Trilogy, #1)” as Want to Read:
Retrieve (The Stormers Trilogy, #1)

Retrieve

(The Stormers Trilogy #1)

What if the job you took to stay alive might be what kills you?

Kade knows what it is to suffer. He knows what it's like to lose everything and everyone around him.

His job in a Stormer Unit guarantees not just his survival in the decimated country of Azetaria, but his sister Meg's. Even if it means facing the Numachi warriors baying for his blood, he'll do what it takes t
Published December 26th 2018 by Double Edged Sword Publishing

To ask other readers questions about Retrieve, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Retrieve

Nicki Chapelway
Nov 16, 2018 rated it really liked it
I really can't decide if I should rate this book four stars or four and a half stars. This is definitely my favorite book that I've read from Sarah Addison-Fox to date.

The first half of the book reminded me of Mulan which was awesome because it was hilarious. Hadley and Kade were both fun characters and definitely had human limitations. When I first read that these characters were called "Stormers" I had thought that they hunted storms like a previous book that I had read (Roar) so I was pleasan
D.M.
Dec 02, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Retrieve is the first book in a new series available on Kindle Unlimited. It’s a dystopian world. Survival is just the beginning.

Hadley is a female in a man's world. Her brother has gone missing and she has no means to look after herself. She needs food but her job prospects are looking slim. Now she has to leave her home if she doesn’t want to become a rich man's plaything.

Kade is part of the Stormer unit. His job is to retrieve the unattainable. Mission impossible, but when he does actually g
Claire Banschbach
Dec 06, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: romance, fantasy
I beta read this for Sarah and I loved it! It's a super fun, fast-paced, full of fun plot twists, and full of wonderful characters.

I really really liked Kade. He's such a hotheaded guy, but so loyal to his family. He makes my heart happy. And Hadley is a very interesting character that is in for quite the journey.

The plot and setting is super fun and intriguing, with plenty of action! I really enjoyed the world that she constructed, and I'm so looking forward to exploring it more in the next f
Deborah O'Carroll
WHAT. AAHH. There was a HUGE plot-twist near the end that had me gobsmacked, staring at my screen, and then that cliffhanger! I need to know what’s going oooon! Book 2, I need you ASAP. *collapses*

Ahem. I’m getting ahead of myself. :P

This is a super enjoyable fantasy/kingdom-adventure type story, with a hint of Mulan and just a smidge of Prince of Persia. Our heroine, Hadley, pretends to be a boy and joins up with our hero, Kade, who has been sent as one of the Stormers—a sort of secret special
Grace Morris
4.5 Stars! <3 =D

Let the fandom come with all of its awesomeness that this book brings. Because it was just AWESOME!!!

So we have this really cool plot of trying to rescue a princess and nothing is going right, and they are in enemy territory.

Did I mention how I love books about going into enemy territory to rescue princesses??? Because I do, so there.

The World Building:

I really loved the world building in this book. Deserts have always been an interesting landscape for me. The ways the Stormer
Sarah Grace Grzy
Dec 02, 2018 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Ages 17+ due to language, violence, and mild sexual content.
Wow! Addison-Fox's newest trilogy starts out with a bang!

The line "Prince of Persia meets Mulan" has been used to describe this series, and I think it is most apt!

If nothing else, this author's worldbuilding is incredibly unique! Addison-Fox creates a whole new world, yet describes it so well, I am instantly in Azetaria, the country in which this story takes place. This author's writing style is definitely light on description, but as I said, I never struggle to understand what is going on or
Elizabeth Dragina
Dec 09, 2018 rated it it was amazing
AHHHHH!! That was Soo amazing!! For one this is the best book I have read by Sarah Addison Fox and it surpasses most of my favorite romance novels, because of the way she can make a relationship so amazing. The whole time they are focused on their mission their growing closer without meaning to!! I love the way she writes!

The world in this book is so uniquely fashioned and it holds such magical beauty in the way it's created. The different cultures and languages, plus the speaking dialects. I lo
Abigail
This was my first ever Sarah-Addison book, but I know for sure that it will not be my last!!! I jumped to the opportunity to read this book when the arc signups first started happening. I do not regret one thing.

Although can we please talk about this ending! Um, I know that the next book comes out next month but still I don’t think I can wait that long!!! I am hoping that Sarah has arcs for her next two books because honestly guys, I cannot wait to read the next two books!

Everything about this
Karyssa
Nov 30, 2018 rated it it was amazing
WOW!!! This book was absolutely amazing, I could hardly put it down! :D I can not wait to read book 2!!

When I saw that the series was described as Prince of Persia meets Mulan, I knew I had to read it since Prince of Persia is one of my top favorite movies and I am a HUGE Disney fan ;) I was not disappointed :D

The worldbuilding though!! Sarah Addison-Fox did a fantastic job with this! It felt real and I could easily see everything that was described. I felt like I was actually there, which is ha
Lilian
Jan 01, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: reviews, ownedebooks
Review:
This was such a well-written book! Sarah writes in an extremely talented way, which means that all her characters' thoughts, descriptions, even pain... go right to the reader. I felt what the characters were feeling, and it really helped me connect to what they were going through. Speaking of which... I really liked the characters (Kade and Hadley)!

A couple of months ago I read Disowned, the first book of Sarah's other popular series (Allegiance), and I have to say I didn't really like th
Abigail
*4.5
Full review on my blog: https://novelsdragonsandwardrobedoors...

This was AWESOME. It was reminiscent of Blades of Acktar, in the best ways. Hadley and Kade were amazing protagonists (both of whom I want to snuggle in a blanket and put them in the "safe character space" corner because please let them rest they're tired). Knowing this was going to be a romance just meant that I shipped it immediately and while nothing really happens with it in this book (I'm sure it's going to get serious in
Sarah Ashwood
Dec 10, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Yas, yas, yas! This book--I loved it. I read it through fast, for me. The setting was very unique. Reminded me almost of a western, but with plenty of spec fic elements to ground it in the genre. I can't say enough about Kade and Hadley and their budding attraction. Kade is just my type of guy: rough and tough around the edges, hard-bitten and ready to do what he has to do, but with a soft spot for his lady and a dedication to duty. Hadley--I loved her character. She was so real! She was tough w ...more
Laura A. Grace
Apr 08, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was a really fun story!

I thought it to be fairly fast-paced and occasionally really intense. (Not a bad thing however!) Hadley and Kade's adventures were far from dull and made me laugh. Well, at least when they weren't in danger. They definitely have some dangerous moments and just had me saying "Come on. Come on. Come on." when reading. All the while gripping my Kindle a little harder and reading a little faster. I mean, running across rooftops is pretty epic and also internally yelling "
Raechel
Dec 22, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2018-reads

Full Review:
Well, that wasn’t what I was expecting. I don’t really know what I was expecting, but this novel surprised me – especially the ending. Because…where is book two? I know we only have to wait a month till that one comes out, but I kind of need to know how the story continues. :)
Anyway!
The first bit of this book definitely had a “Mulan” feel to it which was great. I liked the characters – I liked Hadley from the start, though Kade took a smidgen longer. He’s a rough one. ;) But it was e
Allyson
Dec 03, 2018 rated it really liked it
After finishing up the delightful dystopian/fantasy Allegiance series earlier this year, I was beyond excited when Sarah Addison-Fox announced her upcoming series, The Stormers Trilogy. Book one of the series, Retrieve, has been said to be similar to Prince of Persia and Mulan, and I personally noticed some similar flavors of The Hunger Games as well. This colorful mix ends up producing an outstanding first installment of The Stormers Trilogy!

What I Liked:

Hadley's Motivation: Hadley, our heroi
Eva
Dec 23, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2018-books
This book surpassed my expectations! I wasn’t actually sure what to expect because I have a weird aversion to reading plot synopsises and there were some things about the Allegiance series that I didn’t love. But did I enjoy Retrieve? The answer is a resounding “Yes!”. I read it in pretty much one sitting; it was very easy to lose myself in the story and the characters.

Hadley was a great heroine and I felt that she was different from most of the ‘action girl’ heroines that you read about these d
Dec 20, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: indie-books
I'm going to break this down into sections, as it's the easiest for me.

The Characters. I liked Kade. It's possible that I only drew this comparison because I've been spending so much time reading reviews about Bitter Winter, but he reminds me a bit of Jace from the Ilyon Chronicles series (that's a big compliment by the way). I hope Meg gets more "screen time" in the later books, because she intrigued me. I definitely was interested in the pasts of the characters. How did they end up where the
Annie Twitchell
Dec 31, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: read-in-2018
full review @ annie-louise-twitchell.blogspot.com

I love the way Sarah writes. Her prose has this inherent gracefulness, without being sappy or mushy or anything like that. The way she wields her pen is just delicious.

As always, she brings real people onto the pages. Hadley... precious little Hadley reminds me of myself a few years. I love her. I want to hold her hand and give her hot cocoa.

The Numachi are possibly my favorite group of people in the book, which is interesting because they're in
LooseBoots
Dec 08, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This is the first book I have read of Sarah’s and I enjoyed this very much.
It engaged my attention throughout and I found the characters solid and believable.
It was an interesting journey of mystery and intrigue with a bit of romance .
I don’t put spoilers in my reviews, suffice to say I can’t wait for the next in the series.
Hannah
Jan 04, 2019 rated it liked it
I enjoyed the bickering and the awkwardness. Bickering is the best when you know they're meant for each other!
But, that said, I was a bit confused as to if this was a Christian book? There were a few mentions of the Ancient and the way they talked about it made me think that was supposed to be the God figure. But then throughout the book there were quite a few occasions where characters cuss - D**n and h*ll. It was just a little wierd that there was cussing and a supposedly Christian book. And
Kat
Dec 25, 2018 rated it liked it

This book is submerged in a fantasy world where survival is key to making it through another day.

Through two perspectives, we follow Hadley who is a girl trying to find her brother after suddenly leaving her to fend for herself, the world that can be brutal to young girls. So, with little choice left, she joins the Stormers disguised as a boy in the hopes to get enough supplies and strength to run off and continue to look for her brother.

Then there's Kade, the guy who is stuck training Hadley as
R.M. Archer
Dec 31, 2018 rated it liked it
I was very apathetic toward this book. I didn't care about it. Most of the pieces weren't bad, they just really didn't wow me.

The MCs' relationship, which is the main focus of the book, just... didn't feel very natural to me. :/ Also, I kinda get why Kade acted the way he did to Hadley, but I feel like his motivations weren't really made clear, and I couldn't really get on-board with his decision. I feel like there were definitely better ways he could have handled things.

The whole book felt like
Roger
Jan 03, 2019 rated it really liked it
My first read from author Sarah Addison-Fox & the first book in The Stormers Trilogy, was well-written & enjoyable, a well-woven tale over the length of the book. I’m voluntarily reviewing this book. It looks to be the beginning of an enjoyable series that I look forward to reading. (RIP Marley January 20, 2014 - July 24, 2018).
Britt
Dec 26, 2018 rated it really liked it
A chance to read a book described as “Prince of Persia Meets Mulan”? YES PLEASE and THANK YOU. I read the entire book in one sitting and it definitely held my interest.

I liked Kade and Hadley, and thought both of them had compelling reasons for the choices they made. I’m trying not to give spoilers, since this book comes out December 26. It is definitely a Young Adult story, but without a lot of the angst many books in the genre contain (a definite plus for me!). The story moved along quickly, w
Emily
Dec 21, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2018
I literally loved everything about this book. Written in the third-person, it aptly reads between Kade’s view and Hadley’s view. As a team, these characters work well together. They truly balance each other out and they make a great team.
One of the things that I really liked about this book was the world building. In the beginning, Addison-Fox explains the basics and gradually as we’re reading we’re told more and more about the world, its cultures, customs, and habits.
Retrieve releases December
R.J. Rodda
Jun 02, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
If your ideal romantic fantasy novel has a young determined desperate girl out of her depth but fighting to hold her own, paired with an honorable, tough and occasionally rude man on a dangerous quest for a kidnapped princess, then you’ll enjoy this story. Some unexpected plot twists and a believable case of gender disguise add to the journey.
BookWolf
Dec 27, 2018 rated it really liked it
Retrieve by Sarah Addison-Fox
reviewed by bookwolf4

Wow. Retrieve was awesome! One thing I really love about all of Sarah Addison-Fox’s books is that the characters are never perfect. They have struggles, big and small. The trend in YA fiction seems to be that there is a girl who is supposed to be a ‘strong woman’, but the second they see a hot guy they go weak at the knees and lose all of their own personality. Retrieve isn’t like that at all. In fact, I would hardly even classify it as a romance
Rose
Jan 09, 2019 rated it really liked it
I really liked the plotline of this compelling story and I read it in only a few hours (and one sitting)! The characters felt lifelike because of the many disagreements and the friendship that formed during of the adventure.
The descriptions of the landscapes that Kade and Hadley were traveling through painted a pretty picture in my mind while reading. I was almost convinced that I was on the adventure with them.
I can not wait to read the rest of the series. This book left off as a cliffhanger an
Diane
Dec 09, 2018 rated it really liked it
This was an interesting read. The author has made up a world that has been destroyed and now everyone poor is living with famine and a plague is killing people. Hadley is by herself as her brother has disappeared and her parents died of the plague. She joins the Stormer unit to try and find her brother. She has disguised herself as a boy. Her first job is with a senior agent Kade, they have to go retrieve something important. There are secrets and danger in this story. Lots of violence in this b ...more
Jaime
Dec 13, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I started this book knowing nothing about the author or the story. Now that I’ve read it, I want to know more about the author, and I need this story to continue. It is SO GOOD! The male protagonist is amazing - seems rough around the edges, but a teddy bear inside. The other protag is also amazing. The story is very unique, which I love!
RABT Book Tours: Retrieve by Sarah Addison-Fox 1 2 Feb 01, 2019 07:14AM
RABT Book Tours: Retrieve by Sarah Addison-Fox 1 2 Jan 07, 2019 04:59AM
RABT Book Tours: Pre-Order Blitz: Retrieve by Sarah Addison-Fox 1 4 Dec 20, 2018 04:50AM
Sarah Addison-Fox is a New Zealand-born misfit who writes action-packed fantasy with a smattering of punch ups, mega amounts of romance and a dash of family values.

The Stormers Trilogy (3 books)
  • Retreat (The Stormers Trilogy #2)
  • Receive (The Stormers Trilogy #3)
“The youngest warrior scowled at him and rattled off something in a dialect Kade was unfamiliar with.

What backwater hellhole did these two mongrels climb out of?

A knot of tension began building in his shoulders, the desire to react growing almost unbearable.

He looked once more around the room, and when he was sure there would be no one around to run and get the chief’s guards, Kade eased back in his chair a little, a placating smile on his face as he prepared to kill them as swiftly as possible.”
1 likes
“Things aren’t always as black and white as they appear, it isn’t for us to question.” 0 likes