Start by marking “A Family of His Own (Stories of Us, #3)” as Want to Read:
A Family of His Own (Stories of Us, #3)

A Family of His Own

(Stories of Us #3)

Xavier

Former Navy SEAL Xavier Thierry knows he’s good at his job… protect the client. Do the job but never get too close—that’s his motto.

When the friend he owes for saving his life asks for a favor, the answer is yes—no questions asked. But babysitting some pampered brat is nowhere on his to-do list.

That is, until he first lays eyes on him, and he’s nothing like Xav

Published July 27th 2019

To ask other readers questions about A Family of His Own, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Family of His Own

Start your review of A Family of His Own (Stories of Us, #3)
Jennie
Aug 23, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I was so glad to be reading Cris' book.
I was drawn right into his story and his terible situation.
Xavier is a friend of a friend and tasked with keeping Cris safe. It's clear right away that his services are needed.
Poor Cris has had a really tough time for the past year. His now ex boyfriend is a real piece of work. He is out to hurt Cris and Xavier will do everything in his power to protect him.
I loved both of these men right from the beginning.
The whole family vibe of this story was sweet. Blo
Marisa
Aug 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Loved it so much !!
Barbara➰
Sep 06, 2019 marked it as come-back-later
Shelves: mm, kindle-unlimited
I'm stopping at 38%. Maybe I'll come back later. I think it's just my mood, but this book felt looonnnggg. I kept looking down expecting to be further along but I wasn't. It just seemed to drag. But, I know I've finished books before that I started and stopped and I do want to know how this plays out. Later.

Note: Not high on the believability scale. Can't say that after getting beaten within an inch of my life by my partner would have me thinking sexy thoughts about my body guard...🙄 I do love i
Shannon
Apr 26, 2020 rated it really liked it
This was just the sweetest story with a crazy ex, like legit nuttballs crazy, a hot ex SEAL bodyguard and a sweet, lonely rich boy. Really, Cris needed love so badly and he ended up with his little family. So good. Thank god for those dog tags. I'm just sayin'. A lot heavy on the sappy stuff and I wish the "Patrick" part of the book was more pronounced but overall a sweet romance. Longer than it needed to be for sure but still very enjoyable. Fun read and I'll definitely read more in this series ...more
Anna Torres
Aug 22, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Sometimes there is a silver lining we cannot see....yet!

Domestic abuse is very common in our society nowadays and most of the abused stay quiet and endure it because of shame and fright. If the family does not realize it, these abuses can last years, and the person being abused will slowly lose their confidence, self-esteem, feel degraded and unworthy.

Cris was in an abusive relationship, if that was really a relationship; and is still being threatened by his abuser even from a distance. When hi
Ilona Ahrens
Aug 15, 2019 rated it it was amazing
The third book in the „Stories of us“ series finally tells us Cris´s story. „A family of his own“ definitely can be read as a standalone but beautifully connects the dots to the first two books in the series. I clearly liked the explanations in „a family of his own“ and the link to Cris´s first appearance in the first book. And the whole series is just brilliant so it is of course worth reading!
Rheland Richmond follows her style of a very clear story line, the presentation of two interesting cha
Kendra T
Aug 23, 2019 rated it really liked it
I was really feeling for Cris during the last book and wanted to know his story. This definitely met my expectations. Cris was a quiet and lonely guy who found himself caught in the clutches of an abusive jerk. After much prodding from his family, who finally figured out what was going on, Xavier came on board to help protect Cris. They were attracted to each other, but Xavier didn't want to act on it because he was working as Cris' bodyguard, and Cris didn't act on it because he didn't believe ...more
Belinda Zamora
Jul 30, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I've been waiting for Chris's story from the beginning of this series, and I was not disappointed.
Chris has been alone for a long time, and even with the love of his friends (found family) he's always felt less-than and a burden to others.
When he begins his relationship with Patrick, he thinks he's finally found the one. He soon realizes what a dangerous mistake that was, but not before trying to hide the truth from his family because of his fear of disappointing them.
Once they realize the truth
Myeshia Cole
Aug 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I loved it!!!!!

As book 3bin the series, this is Chris's story. It was mentioned in the first two books that he had been acting different and in his book we find out why. At the end of book 2, we see Michael and Two frantically rushing to Chris's house after Lain finds him beaten, bloodied, and abused. This book gives us a prologue and then immediately picked up from the end of book 2. Xavier is brought in by Reid, Michael's best friend and it goes down a rabbit hole from there. Xav and Chris spe
Xochitl
Jul 31, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I’m a huge fan no only of the Stories of us series but of all Rheland Richmond’s books, so when I received this book as an ARC I was ecstatic, and my opinion cannot be unbiased because all my excitement (sorry!) Even if this book can be read as standalone, you would want to read the previous ones as many of the characters of those like Tristan and Nathaniel, Teo and Michael are also part of this story and you would like to know more about them to fully understand it. This book is about Cris and ...more
Megan
Aug 23, 2019 rated it liked it
The bodyguard trope is one I generally enjoy, especially when it involves people who need love and protection wrapped up in a sexy package. Adding in the power that comes from regained confidence and freedom claimed, and I'm usually a goner. But with this story I was struck right in the beginning by some disturbing comments and attitudes that I had a severely difficult time getting over. Cris and Xavier's connection also just didn't sink deep enough for me to fall in love with the story.

Cris had
Amy Dufera - Amy's MM Romance Reviews
4.5 Stars

A Family of His Own is a great addition to Rheland Richmond's Stories of Us. The third book in the series, this one is great tale of two broken men who help each other to heal. It's a tale of two men finding a family together.

Cris has made some mistakes and now he's dealing with a stalker ex. Soon Xavier is assigned as Cris's bodyguard. Cris and Xavier are perfect together. Xavier's an ex Seal, which could explain Cris's reaction to him. However, in a heartwarming twist, it's just the p
Dixiecowgirl
Aug 23, 2019 rated it really liked it
Unexpected connection create a bright chance at love for two awesome guys. Finding your special someone when you least expect it can be daunting, however these guys find the will and love to create their happiness and future together. Story-line is well crafted and the words flow beautifully. I found the story touching and was routing for our MC"s to find their way to love and a forever.

Chris and Xavier offer each other a connection that is unique and intense. They have wonderful chemistry and
Patricia Hoffstaetter
Sep 28, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: finished-reading
This is an enjoyable, beautiful & heartwarming slow-burn MM romance although it was heart-wrenching to read in some places. The plot is well-written; it draws the reader’s attention & keeps it until the last page has been turned. The characters are well-developed & the first impression is that there are absolutely no common interests between them but they actually complement each other as they draw closer together. There are character crossovers but this book can be read as a standalone.
There is
Rachwithheadinabook
Aug 19, 2019 rated it really liked it
4.5* of protective man

** Warning** Domestic violence, PTSD Flashbacks/dreams.

This third instalment of this series has been long awaited, with hints about what was going on with Cris in the previous books we finally get his story.
Xavier comes when his friend Reid calls about a friend of a friend's partner needs his help. What he finds is a battered, bruised but not broken, red headed spitfire Cris. The connection was instantaneous, both tried to keep the other at arms length but it didn't last l
Amanda
Jul 28, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This is a beautiful story about healing, family, and finding a place to belong. Sparks fly from the moment they meet, in a less-than-ideal moment for Cris, but there is a wonderful slow-burn for a while as Cris has to heal both physically and mentally from his horror of an ex. These two are perfect for each other and help each other heal from the pain of their pasts while trying to protect Cris from Patrick,, and when a certain surprise comes into their lives... ahhh my heart! I love the man Xav ...more
Elaine Gray
Jul 31, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I’ve been waiting on this book for a long time and I have to say it didn’t disappoint. Xavier and Cris are the hottest thing ever. Their passion and chemistry for each are shown throughout the book. Once I started I couldn’t put it down. Cris temper match the color of his hair. He’s a little feisty thing and I loved the fact that he wanted a child and decided to go forward with the foster care despite everything that’s going on. The book has everything romance, action, angst, some funny moments, ...more
Kathryn Manzella
Aug 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing
A Family of His Own is the third book in the Stories of Us series by Rheland Richmond. This is a suspenseful drama meet bodyguard romance. So many emotions while reading this book. Anxious, sad, happy.... this book brings on all the feels. Xavier is sexy and protective and Cris is loyal and sweet.... I love these two men together. The supporting characters are amazing and interesting.

The story has drama, suspense, and romance.... there is a strong emphasis on family which I really love. Definite
kathleen
Aug 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I've been waiting for Cris's story and A Family of His Own did not disappoint! Seeing Cris struggle with his place in his found family is painful. He needs the bonds that come with a parter of his own. When trouble finds him a protector arrives to keep him safe. Xavier is all Cris desires and so much more. These two just complete each other. Add in a baby and you couldn't ask for anything more.
Trouble is still looking for Cris and Xavier must stay focused on his new family's safety.
This story wi
Maria771
Aug 21, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This is the story of Xavier and Cris. This is a first time author for me and what a lovely surprise. I absolutely loved this story. Will definately read thevprevious 2. I loved the dynamic betweem Xavier and Cris and the family and how much they mean to each other. The chemistry between them is amazing. Loved how they were drawn to each other from the beginning. This book has everything that makes for a great read. Beautifully written.

I received this book as an Arc and I am reviewing it voluntar
Patricia Nelson
Jul 29, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This talented author has added a fantastic,grab-you-by-the-feels, powerful, heartbreaking yet hopeful, engaging, gripping, enthralling, intense, slow burning, and totally awesome twist on the standard bodyguard/client storyline. On the surface, Xavier and Cris seem to have nothing in common, but underneath each one completes and heals the other. It had me hooked from beginning to end, and I would definitely recommend one clicking this gem ASAP.
P Leslie
Aug 01, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: m-m, kindle-unlimited
I haven’t read the other books in this series but I’m definitely checking them out.

The beginning was intense, heartbreaking and bought tears to my eyes. Cris was damaged but far from broken which was evident, from the way he faced off with Xav when they first met.

Cris and Xav were smoking hot together and I enjoyed their slow burn romance.

This was a beautiful story about healing, family, love and finding someone you belong with.
Violet  Marshall
Aug 25, 2019 rated it really liked it
This is the third book in The Stories of Us Series. A great book with good writing. The writing has gotten better from the first book. The plot was entertaining and it was steady throughout the book. I found the story and characters likeable. The characters were developed and thought out. Xavier and Cris are the MC’s of this book. I can recommend this book as a good read. I voluntarily read an advance copy of this book for an honest review.
Pat
Jan 17, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Awesome

Oh my! An abusive, controlling partner, tearing Cris away from his made family... Until his friend Lain found him almost beaten to death. In steps Xavier a friend of a friend... An ex Navy Seal, now a bodyguard. The attraction is instant and Xavier tries to keep it professional...
Angsty, emotional, hopeful, love... all the emotions.. loved it ! Was great seeing past characters. Great series.. looking forward to more...
Guilherme
May 10, 2021 rated it it was amazing
Sooo cute, and also terribly devastating at the beginning but still really really cute and it was exactly what i needed.

I am however going to say that the whole abusive ex plot needed to be more developed. I felt like the story ended and I still had questions about his motivations and especially the means he had to all of his actions.

Still, 5 stars because I was really in need of a cute family story.
Stephanie
Jul 29, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Xavier and Cris's story is a heartbreaking and heartwarming. Such a beautiful story. Both these characters are just perfect for each other. They help each other healing from their past and it is so beautiful to watch. That one the reasons I love slow burn story. It makes the romance of the story so worthwhile by the end. I just couldn't stop read. I love this so much! ...more
Tanya
Aug 14, 2019 rated it really liked it
The story I've been waiting for

I've been waiting for this story since book 1. I knew Cris was going through something but holy cow to know what he was going through since book 1 is just beyond what I had imagined. I think Rheland did a great job with this story considering the subject matter of abuse.
Denise GremoryKohta
Aug 22, 2019 rated it it was amazing
So good!

The drama and suspense had me anxiously turning each page. I was always wondering how and when. And mixed in with that we get these two amazing guys who are just what the other needed. From loneliness and fear to hope, not and love, what an amazing journey. Make sure you read the trigger warnings though. Not always an easy read but so important to the story.
Grace Fitzpatrick
Aug 29, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Emotional sneak

While I was living reading about Xavier and Cris' heart warming love story some events that happened snuck up on me causing tears to come unexpectedly. I truly enjoy this series and can not wait to read about Lain. As always Rheland Richmond captured me from the beginning until the last word.
Iris
Jul 29, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I have been waiting so long

I have been waiting for so long to read Cris’s story. I am so happy with the way it turned out. I knew it was going to gut me at times, but I actually smiled through most of the book. Loved it.

• Raven's Hart (Haven Hart Universe #7)
  • Without Warning (Cobalt Security, #1)
  • Redemption (Men of Hidden Creek - Season 4, #6)
  • Resonance (Rhythm of Love #2)
  • Malek (Whitfell Brothers #1)
  • Radiant (Men of Hidden Creek - Season 4, #1)
  • Malachi (Whitfell Brothers #2)
  • Sweet as Honey (Aster Valley, #2)
  • Until I Met You (Just the Way You Are #2)
  • Ranger
  • All or Nothing (Upstate Education, #4)
  • Sidearms and Spareribs (Hearts of Snow Lake #2)
  • Save Me (Rutledge Brothers #2)
  • Love Me (Rutledge Brothers #1)
  • Battle Ship (Valentine's Inc. Cruises, #4)
  • Pumpkin Cream Pie (Welcome to Morningwood Omegaverse #7)
  • Keep Me (Rutledge Brothers #3)
  • Most Wanted (Wrecked: Guardians, #3)
Writes Omegaverse as Skye R. Richmond.

For as long as she can remember Rheland had her nose stuck in a book, getting lost in the world of someone else's creation (She still does). Her love for writing came from her love for reading. She could never have one without the other.

Writing was always a hobby and a cathartic experience for her. There are many stories lost to the never to be completed or pu

Stories of Us (5 books)
  • A Family for Keeps (Stories of Us, #1)
  • His Instant Family (Stories of Us, #2)
  • His Reluctant Family (Stories of Us, #4)
  • A Family He Needed  (Stories of Us #5)