Start by marking “The Dog Who Loved Too Much: Tales, Treatments and the Psychology of Dogs” as Want to Read:
The Dog Who Loved Too Much: Tales, Treatments and the Psychology of Dogs

The Dog Who Loved Too Much: Tales, Treatments and the Psychology of Dogs

4.07  ·  Rating details ·  670 Ratings  ·  39 Reviews
Do you have a problem pooch?

What do you do with a dog who attacks the telephone whenever it rings? Or one who chases imaginary rabbits down imaginary holes?  Or one who is terrified of
microblinds...or turns into Cujo every time company arrives?

In this warm, compassionate, entertaining, and very informative book, Dr. Nicholas Dodman, one of the premier veterinary behaviori
Published March 3rd 1997 by Bantam (first published April 4th 1996)

To ask other readers questions about The Dog Who Loved Too Much, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Dog Who Loved Too Much

Joan Colby
Nov 01, 2018 rated it really liked it
Valuable tips from a noted animal behaviorist. Dodman advocates pharmalogical solutions as well as humane behavior modifying techniques. Case histories make for interesting and often entertaining reading.
Amy
Jul 06, 2018 rated it it was amazing
The Dog Who Loved Too Much: Tales, Treatments and the Psychology of DogsNicholas Dodman
The Dog Who Loved Too Much written in 1997, by Nicholas Dodman, a well established British educated/US based veterinary behaviorist and dog behavior researcher, is engaging and easily read. The reading follows Dr. Dodman’s consults with his clients and patients from first consult to real life outcomes allowing readers the opportunity to become familiar with behavioral wellness programs and the benefits of thes
R.M. Kinder
Feb 11, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This is a wonderful book for animal lovers and especially for those who have dogs with some excessive behavior, wanting too much affection, too much food, too much control, or impossible security. Though I got it to deal better with an exceedingly smart and wily lab/hound mix, it has given me great insight into my alpha cat, who controls every being in the house, canine and human. She's lovely, lithe, and cool. All cat. The advice Dr. Dodman gives is specific and clear and doable. I didn't alway ...more
Sheree
Sep 18, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: dogs
An appreciated perspective from an animal behaviorist, not just a trainer.
Ralph
Feb 01, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: animals
The author is an animal behaviorist, and the stories he tells in this book are taken from his own experiences. The behaviors covered range from separation anxiety to aggression, from phobias to actual nervous disorders of the brain; he even addresses inappropriate urination, though it is clear he does so reluctantly, seeing it as usually being a training issue rather than an actual physical or mental malady. Though many of his explorations into the canine psyche are fascinating (especially his t ...more
Linda Lipko
Mar 20, 2013 rated it really liked it
This is a fascinating book written by an animal behaviorist and specialist in treating dogs with very serious problems. Combining science and psychology, this guy knows his stuff when it comes to animal personalities and genetic dispositions.

Most of the cases presented were worse case scenarios. However, it was interesting to learn about dogs with issues when their owners are not with them. Our Sheltie Lilly exhibits some of the characteristics noted whenever we go away for a few days. In partic
Sari Lynn
Nov 08, 2007 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The full title is: "The Dog Who Loved Too Much: Tales, Treatments, and the Psychology of Dogs" by Dr. Nicholas Dodman.

Using real and entertaining examples from his own clinic, Dr. Dodman illustrates his unique and successful approach to correcting and curing problem dogs. By making key changes to a dog's diet, exercise regime, environment, and training, Dr. Dodman has been able to work wonders with even the most baffling of disorders and help frustrated, often desperate, owners.

Whether you own a
MrsEnginerd
Mar 29, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: dogs
This is the best behavioral treatment book I have read. Unlike other professionals in the field, Dr Dodman refrains from making the book about his relationship to a dog he owns and rather incorporates stories about treatments followed by scientific tests, evidence and behavioral adjustment plans. You learn about dogs psyche and about the medical research and medication intervention that has been used to treat canines. He provides insight into the cost and duration of behavioral therapy and expla ...more
Rebecca
May 23, 2009 rated it really liked it
This is a great overview of a lot of dog behavioral problems and their causes, with tips for how to deal with them. In addition to solutions through training (for not just the dog but the people, as Cesar Milan would say), it talks about problems that should be treated medically. Dogs can go on antidepressants, muscle relaxants, etc.

There are some behavioral problems that aren't covered, but a lot of them are - separation anxiety, aggressiveness, storm phobia, etc. It's worth a read for anyone w
Diane
Oct 11, 2007 marked it as to-read
Recommends it for: Everyone in my rescue circle
This is from my home library section on how to better understand and dogs and cats. I am always striving for more knowledge on how to work with and understand them so that I can pass that along to folks who bring them into their homes. And I am always looking for good reading on the subject to pass along as well. This particular book is broken down into 3 sections: Aggression; Fear; and Obsessive/Repetitivenes. From only reading one chapter so far, this book seems to meet the criteria.
Kris
Nov 20, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Contrary to what the title suggests, this is not a sappy collection of anecdotes about dog ownership. It is, however, a comprehensive collection of case studies on the most common behavioral issues we see in dogs. Dr. Dodman does a seamless job of chronicling these case studies, diagnostics and treatments in a manner that is readable and enjoyable for the non-science major. It is a quick read and a must-have reference for any dog lover or anyone who works with animals.
Anne
Apr 03, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Finally a book that discusses crate training an adult dog with separation anxiety instead of an eight week old puppy. If your dog has any psychological/behavioral issues, this is a terrific book to help you with behavior modification, drug therapy, and understanding why your dog is so "strange." This book is worth reading for dog owners as well as potential dog owners. It is a good manuel to have on hand.
Katelyn
Dec 22, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: nonfiction
I was hesitant to read a book on dog behavior written in 1996 because of how much has changed in two decades of research and observation. However, Dodman's book provided a few "Aha!" moments and was written in such an easy way to understand without simplifying explanations and treatments that it may be one of my favorite behavior books to date. Each chapter added to my current knowledge of dog behavior and all that entails and renewed my passion for the subject.
Celest
Nov 08, 2014 rated it really liked it
This is a well written, clear and concise book detailing common behavioral issues dogs present with. Many of the treatments involve temporary use of psychopharmacological agents paired with training. Note that drug treatment is only indicated whenever other options were not likely to succeed alone.

This is almost like a DSM for dogs, written in layman's terms.

I wish I had this book years ago with my first set of adopted doggies, it would have made things a lot simpler on all of us.
Brownbetty
I was not really prepared for how much the field has changed since the nineties, because Dodman uses, (more than once!) the word "alpha" to describe a dog's behaviour, and I'm pretty sure if you do that now, L. David Mech appears in a puff of smoke prepared to do trial by combat with Cesar Millan.

Need to see if my library can find anything more recent by him.
Kinyorda Sliwiak
Oct 20, 2013 rated it liked it
There are a lot of good tips in this book but all of the case studies are extreme cases. It is hard to get past the incompetent owners and the horrible things that occur in their dogs' lives. Every behavioral problem does not require drugs yet there is not a single chapter where he does not advocate using them.
Lori Watson koenig
Oct 31, 2014 rated it liked it
I expected something different from this book. I think I expected tales of dogs with problems and how the psychology became the focus of the cure.

Instead I think I got how to get the vet to describe drugs to sedate your dog.

Just my opinion...and I do have to say I quit reading it after 50 pages or so
Aimee
Dec 16, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Excellent book about dog psychology. Focuses on the treatment of problem dogs with both behavioral and medical treatments combined. Very illuminating, not only on why problem dogs are problems (excellent chapters on the different types of aggression), but also consistently reinforces how to use behavioral training methods to improve dogs.
Bridgette Sparks
May 04, 2010 rated it really liked it
I was given this book in 1997 when I got my little pup. I think the book was given to me as a warning. It did not change how I loved my dog..I spoiled him, loved him, and lost him. I would not change a thing. As for the book, I liked it because it was about dogs....it was not a great read but it was about a great subject.
Gordon Gravley
Nov 18, 2014 rated it really liked it
I had to read this back when I was a veterinary technician. Yet the dog-lover in me would have discovered this book eventually and enjoyed it just as much. Who'd have thought dogs were so complex? A fascinating read, largely due to Dodman's writing ability.
Dawn Marie
Mar 31, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Excellent book that guides the owner through proven techniques which help to alleviate behavioural issues in dogs. A must read for all dog owners looking to understand the psychology of their pet and how to help them to become awesome companions.
Linda
Oct 09, 2014 rated it really liked it
Very interesting stories about dogs with various problems and possible solutions. I found my dog has a case of separation anxiety..not as bad as the one in the book but definatley similar. I will be trying some of the authors recommendations to help resolve the issue.
Darice
Jan 27, 2007 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: dog owners
Dr. Dodman discusses extreme examples of dogs with aggression, anxiety, and obsessive-compulsive disorders. It's a great read--I couldn't put it down. I learned something new--nocturnal separation anxiety. I just hope my dogs skip out on this disorder!!
Jule
Sep 24, 2009 rated it it was ok
More dog psychology. I will be America's Next Dog Whisperer!
Shikha
Sep 10, 2014 added it
Rochelle
Feb 10, 2011 rated it liked it
Shelves: animals, nonfiction
Had a very James Herriot feel to it, and I enjoyed reading it. Casual style of writing makes it refreshingly easy to read, compared with some of the other books on behavior I've read.
S
Oct 22, 2011 rated it it was amazing
This book was great in the "There are No Bad Dogs" style. Practical applications for the dogs we love but make us climb the walls at times.
Suzie
Jan 02, 2009 added it
Good book. Very honest about dogs and their behavior.
Chris
Sep 15, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Awesome information on behavior issues
Stephanie Tournas
Mar 13, 2016 rated it really liked it
A fascinating look at the diagnosis and treatment of dogs with behavior problems.
  • The Dog's Mind: Understanding Your Dog's Behavior
  • Reaching the Animal Mind: Clicker Training and What It Teaches Us About All Animals
  • Dogs Never Lie About Love: Reflections on the Emotional World of Dogs
  • How To Speak Dog: Mastering the Art of Dog-Human Communication
  • Bones Would Rain from the Sky: Deepening Our Relationships with Dogs
  • Canine Body Language: A Photographic Guide Interpreting the Native Language of the Domestic Dog
  • The Cautious Canine: How to Help Dogs Conquer Their Fears
  • The Social Lives of Dogs: The Grace of Canine Company
  • Shelter Dogs
  • The Power of Positive Dog Training
  • On Talking Terms with Dogs: Calming Signals
  • Lost and Found: Dogs, Cats, and Everyday Heroes at a Country Animal Shelter
  • Dogs: A Startling New Understanding of Canine Origin, Behavior  Evolution
  • A Rare Breed of Love: The True Story of Baby and the Mission She Inspired to Help Dogs Everywhere
  • Control Unleashed:  Creating a Focused and Confident Dog