Start by marking “The Promise is His Presence: Why God is Always Enough” as Want to Read:
The Promise is His Presence: Why God is Always Enough

The Promise is His Presence: Why God is Always Enough

Glenna Marshall is wondering something. What if she told you that you don’t have to go looking for God’s presence? What if she told you that God’s presence is something you can enjoy all the time?

God’s presence among his people set him apart from the pagan gods of ancient times. His presence on earth as God Incarnate split history in two. And today his presence is one of
Published August 2019 by P&R Publishing

To ask other readers questions about The Promise is His Presence, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Promise is His Presence

Lindsey Haro
Jul 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This book is stunning! Glenna beautifully walks through the whole story of Scripture as she tells her story. Her writing is full of biblical truths and paints pictures so well that you almost feel like you're sitting on her beige couch with her listening to her share these things with you. This book is a great read, one that I would read again. And so theologically sound! Go buy this book ASAP!
Jodie Pine
Jul 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I felt like I was in Glenna's living room, gleaning from her wisdom and soaking in God's presence through her words, in the midst of my own trials. She beautifully presents the entirety of Scripture as it relates to human need and God's offering to fulfill it. And she shares her personal story as one who has experienced deep pain and found Him to be enough. It's the who not the why, she says, that matters most in our sufferings.

One of my favorite quotes: "Goodness that is limited to comfortable
Kaitlyn Pindak
Aug 06, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Promise keeper: He promises to be with us!

This beautiful book is a testimony of Who God is as revealed in the Word and how Glenna has experienced this and seen it in her life. It is so easy to get wrapped up in lies or overwhelmed by the differing opinions so this book reminds us Who and where our anchor is! But not that we have to find it, we get to rest in it! Because He has promised us to be with us!
This book is definitely 5/5 stars!🌟
Erin
Jul 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This book is an excellent encouragement for those Christians who are suffering, wondering if God is present and active in their lives, or who just feel stagnant in their walk with the Lord. Glenna Marshall writes with clarity and conviction, showing how the theme of the presence of God is woven into the fabric of Scripture from beginning to end. I love how she personalized the book by sharing with the reader her own personal dark nights of the soul, and I related to much of what she wrote, thoug ...more
Deon
Jul 12, 2019 rated it it was amazing
*This is a review copy from the publisher. No review, positive or otherwise, was required—all opinions are my own.*

"We try to quiet our need with food and drink, music and books, relationships and possessions. None of these things feel like the wrong answer—until we wake up one morning and realize that we’re self-medicating our yearnings with created things. In the middle of the night, when nothing else can heal the pain of betrayal or loneliness, we can only go to the One who knows it all."

The
Renee Young
Jul 07, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2019
Raise your hand if you have ever had a difficult time believing the goodness of God? Your hand raised? Mine too. Raise your hand if you’ve ever found it difficult to trust that your current circumstances are only a light, momentary affliction—and are actively working to transform you into the image of Christ? My hand is still raised. Yours? Raise your hand if in the tragedies and shortcomings and waitings and failures and hurts, you feel chronically alone?

Okay, so if you’re human, you lifted you
Megan
Aug 06, 2019 rated it it was amazing
In the world of staged Instagram posts and well-groomed selfies, I think we crave raw authenticity. Social media doesn’t often reveal the pain behind the smile, and yet pain is one of the most common experiences shared by humans. To find an author who is not only willing to address the reality of pain, but to also share with gut-wrenching honesty her struggle to believe in the goodness of God amid her suffering is a true treasure. And that, my friends, is one of the reasons I am happy to recomme ...more
Brooke Turner
Aug 11, 2019 rated it it was amazing
4.5 stars!

“When we make the mistake of equating God’s inherent goodness with what seems good to us, we limit our belief in His ability to be good. But He is good in all things - even in suffering, even in pain. His goodness is limitless; it cannot be confined to the days when our lives work out in the ways we hope. That’s a small, tight perimeter for God’s goodness”. (Pg 105)

Pastor’s wife, musician, adoptive mother, chronic pain sufferer Glenna Marshall beautifully tackles the massive biblical
Cassie
Jul 24, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: christian
"Scripture contains the history of God and His people and of their severed relationship. Always God gives Himself; always the people desire something else. His presence with them will always be enough to meet their needs, and yet they always struggle to believe that it is safe to rely only on Him." (p. 25)

In her wonderful book, Glenna Marshall shows that this is the story of God's people throughout history—and it's the story of our individual lives too. We continually reject the promises of God
Madelyn C.
Aug 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Glenna Marshall not only has a beautiful way of writing, she has a beautiful message to convey. That message is not new, though it is often forgotten. Suffering is very real, sorrow cuts deep, but God is always with us, and He is always enough.
She takes you on a journey through Scripture, recounting God's faithfulness to His people in the midst of their suffering. She pours her whole self into this book, making reading it feel as though she's made you a cup of coffee and welcomed you to her cou
Bethany Barendregt
Aug 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Glenna Marshall is well-acquainted with loss, suffering, deferred hope, and grief and yet she writes with deep trust and confidence in the goodness of God. This book is a powerful look at God's promise to be with his people, and how he kept that promise throughout Scripture, and still keeps it today. Glenna masterfully weaves her own story with the testimony of the Lord's faithful love and mercy.

Reading "The Promise is His Presence" is like having a friend sit beside you, entering into your own
Peggy
Jul 22, 2019 rated it really liked it
Sometimes a book hits your hands and heart at the right time. This book was one for me. Glenna does a beautiful job of weaving together her story of loss, ache, and struggles with the promise of God’s presence all through Scripture. She takes your hand and leads you through the pages of the Bible with a flashlight to help the reader see how God always promises to be with us and guide us through all the various struggles of life. Glenna emphasizes that the presence of God in the hard is more than ...more
Debbie Willing
Someone once said, “ You’ll never know that God is enough until God is all you have!” Glenna Marshall has an amazing grasp of what it means to be in Christ alone! She weaves a compelling story through the scripture and with her personal struggles of coming to recognize the gift God has given to us who believe.
His Son has come to be with us! His presence is indeed the gift! May you find much hope, warm encouragement, and new insights as you turn the pages of this book!
May you find His presence w
Gina Fox
Aug 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This book is a huge blessing. To read the realness of Glenna’s story will reasonate with everyone who reads this book. She speaks to the heart and the mind of the reader. Hearing the heartbreak and redemption of her story will encourage every person to remember that God is always there and will never leave them. I recommend this book to every woman who needs to remember that. Also for anyone who has a woman in there lives who has experienced deep loss and is struggling to find their way.
Shauna Letellier
Aug 16, 2019 rated it it was amazing
So appreciated the author’s commitment to looking for God in the Scripture and her willingness to share the difficult way that approach came about. Her willingness to share the difficult road that led to trusting God’s character was remarkable. Hardship piled upon sadness and confusion for her, and yet she speaks of God’s faithful goodness. Marshall writes with clarity and beauty and continually points us to the God who promises his continual presence even when we don’t feel it.
Mary
Aug 08, 2019 added it
Glenna Marshall masterfully weaves her story of finding God's Presence during her personal suffering while tracing the theme of God's Presence throughout the Bible. If you struggle with feeling God's Presence in your suffering The Promise is His Presence is the book to read to help your find hope and realize His Presence is always with you.
Linda Bumba
Aug 08, 2019 rated it really liked it
A great read, whether or not you are currently struggling. Glenna takes us thru the Bible side by side with her struggles, proving once again that God is enough.
Stephanie
Rebekah
Kimmi Nono
Reed
Jul 26, 2019
Glenna Marshall is married to her pastor, William, and lives in rural Southeast Missouri where she tries and fails to keep up with her two energetic sons. She is the author of The Promise is His Presence: Why God is Always Enough (P&R, 8/1/19) and Everyday Faithfulness: The Beauty of Ordinary Perseverance in a Demanding World (Crossway, 2020).
“Anything you think you need in order to believe that God is good- that’s your golden calf.” 1 likes
“The Word of God is like manna—it’s daily nourishment, daily reminders of God’s nearness. It’s what God knows we need in order to thrive. But, so often, we hunger for something more.” 1 likes