Start by marking “Lost Hills (Eve Ronin #1)” as Want to Read:
Lost Hills (Eve Ronin #1)

Lost Hills

(Eve Ronin #1)

A detective’s brutal first case could make or break her career in an exhilarating thriller by #1 New York Times bestselling author Lee Goldberg.

A video of Deputy Eve Ronin’s off-duty arrest of an abusive movie star goes viral, turning her into a popular hero at a time when the Los Angeles County Sheriff’s Department is plagued by scandal. The sheriff, desperate for more

Expected publication: January 1st 2020 by Thomas & Mercer

Win a Copy of This Book

• Lost Hills by Lee Goldberg
    Lost Hills (Eve Ronin #1)
    Release date: Jan 01, 2020
    “Thrills and chills! Lost Hills is the perfect combination of action and suspense, not to mention Eve Ronin is one of the best new female characters ...more

Format: Kindle book

Giveaway ends in: a

Availability: 100 copies available, 864 people requesting

Giveaway dates: Dec 01 - Dec 31, 2019

Countries available: U.S.

• Friend Reviews

To ask other readers questions about Lost Hills, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Lost Hills

Start your review of Lost Hills (Eve Ronin #1)
    Dee Arr
    Dec 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing
    I’ve read a few Lee Goldberg books in the past and was hoping this book would be as good as the previous novels. Detective Eve Ronin is a new character and I was curious if the author could create someone different and still achieve the same impact as his other series.

Detective Eve Ronin is new to her department, and her fresh status causes the veterans to question her skills. At times, her knowledge comes off as bravado and she makes plenty of rookie mistakes, exposing her as human rather than
    Abby
    Oct 05, 2019 rated it really liked it
    Shelves: mystery
    [I'm not writing summaries despite the convention--you can read those on the book description.]

This book is for when you've finished your entire set of Michael Connelly books, and you really want to read something similar but aren't sure if you can take one more lick of Harry Bosch's dark world.

Don't get me wrong, this LA is still dark. However, instead of Bosch's gritty downtown, it's the true crime world of the woodsy Santa Monica mountains. And in true crime world, the decisions of criminals
    Randall Moore
    Dec 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing
    A satisfying Connellyesque crime thriller

“Lost Hills” by Lee Goldberg is an absorbing police procedural and thriller that serves as an introduction to a new series character, Eve Ronin. Due to a viral video of Eve taking down an arrogant Hollywood action star, stopping his assault on his female companion in a parking lot, she’s fast-tracked to the Los Angeles Sheriff’s Department’s elite Robbery Homicide squad as its youngest and first female detective. The men repeatedly deride her as “
    Leslie
    Dec 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing
    TIL that Lee Goldberg is a man. This is apropos of nothing but for some reason I thought the name = a woman. I also learned that he is responsible for a bunch of stuff I love like Monk so I will probably be hunting down more of his work.

This is a December First Reads book for Prime Members and let me say I am pleased with my choice. This is a very readable, fast paced, mystery featuring a character who is compelling and troubled without being a total psycho. In the book Goldberg h/ts Michael
    Judy Lesley
    Dec 02, 2019 rated it liked it
    Lee Goldberg is a new author for me and the description of the book was intriguing so I selected this story from the Amazon First Reads program for December.

The investigative team is made up of the older veteran who is literally counting down the days before he retires and a female detective brand spanking new to the Robbery/Homicide Division. The two work well together, quite realistically in fact, since Duncan Pavone and Eve Ronin have settled on the division of duties in their team; Pavone
    M
    Dec 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing
    A winning Amazon First Read with one of the best new police protagonists.

I read a lot of police procedurals, most of which I rate a high of 4 stars. “Lost Hills” gets 5 stars, because it’s enjoyable enough to be a “must re-read” for me. I’ve pre-ordered the Audiobook version and will be listening to it in January, when it’s released.

This imaginatively-plotted police procedural is worth reading for the quirky characters, sly humor, and excellent sense of place. “Lost Hills” is set in the City
    Jackie
    Similarities to J.D. Robb's "Death" series

Female Homicide Detective--check. Detective's first name, Eve--check. Murder mystery with some twists--check. It's been a while since I've read some of the books in J.D. Robb's Death series, so there may be other similarities. This series does not take place in the future, however. And so far there's no romance involved.

I don't read a lot of mystery novels, but there wasn't a Fantasy or Science Fiction book offered on First Reads this month. So I picked
    Dave
    In a world where everybody and their great aunt thinks they can write a police procedural, it's Lee Goldberg who shows us how it's done. Set in Calabasas and Topanga, just west of Los Angeles' San Fernando Valley, the first book in the Eve Ronin series is a fastreading, hard-to-put-down page-turner that draws the reader in from page one right to the end. Ronin is a newly minted Sheriff's Homicide Detective, promoted to the chagrin of her colleagues based on a viral video of a celebrity arrest, ...more
    Craig Parks
    Dec 04, 2019 rated it it was amazing
    Stop reading my review and get this book!

Amazing! A fast paced rolllercoaster of a ride. I couldn’t read this book fast enough. It had a satisfying ending.

Maybe I’m a bit biased having grown up in the south west San Fernando valley and experiencing these type of fires.

There were scary moments during fires where I didn’t know if my friends houses were going to survive or be chunks of burned embers.

One of the things that irks me more than it should is when writers take liberties with geography.
    Darla C. James
    Dec 06, 2019 rated it really liked it
    GREAT....EXCEPT FOR THE DANG GEOGRAPHY!

Loved the characters, the plot, the development....and the writing was excellent. BUT.....I get sooooo tired of having to skim through much too many explicit scene descriptions....and this author really took it to extremes. I mean, all great for local residents but, please......I live in Texas and don't visualize all these highways and landmarks. I mean, do Highways 71, 29, 18, Enchanted Rock, etc., etc., Mean anything to most?! Tell me it's a highway,
    Kathleen
    Dec 02, 2019 rated it really liked it
    I grew up soon Los Angeles and have lived through several of the recent wildfires that have plagued this area. Lee Goldberg obviously knows this area well and brings it to life.

His newest creation is believable and did not give off those odd vibes when a writer crosses gender lines in the development of a protagonist. Eve is a character whose backstory is pure Hollywood, but her instincts and intellect make her relatable to all lovers of police dramas. There is a lot of room for growth in her
    Nola Franzen
    Dec 05, 2019 rated it really liked it
    Smooth, fast moving

Lee Goldberg has written an exciting and intense story with LOST HILLS. Murder, mayhem, and more political chicanery than Congress.

Eve Ronin is an interesting character I am looking forward to reading more about. She has new job and a partner getting ready to retire, a mother without a clue, and a sister who is on the ball. Superiors that are busy playing politics round out the cast.

The writing style is spot on and brings the story fluidity. Thank you, Mr. Goldberg.
    Miriam Zuo
    Shelves: 2019
    I've got to admit that I was surprised when I realized that Lee Goldberg wrote this book (I read a book he wrote a while back, and it was nearly too vulgar for me to get through). The main character, Eve Ronin, is compelling and the plot moves well; somehow, it achieved the inevitable yet surprising sort of ending that's so elusive to write. I chose this book from Amazon's December First Read selection, and I'm glad that I did. I'd recommend it to mystery buffs for an easy, quick, yet ...more
    Christine Lowe
    Dec 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing
    Lost Hills

It's no secret Lee Goldberg is a writer worth reading. This first book in the Eva Ronin series is another fast, exciting novel by Goldberg. I was hooked after reading the first few pages of Lost Hills. Eve Ronin is the youngest detective ever to be assigned to the Los Angeles County Sheriff Robbery Homicide Division. Her partner Duncan Pavone is 163 days away from retirement. They are assigned to investigate what happened in a house that is covered in an unbelievable amount of blood.
    Carl Beckwith
    Dec 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing
    Great fun. Just read from beginning to end on a cross-country flight. Good story and a police detective that should have many more crimes to solve. Recommend to anyone that likes a well-written page turner that feels like a fast action movie.

Great fun. Just read from beginning to end on a cross-country flight. Good story , with a police detective that should have many more crimes to solve. Recommend to anyone that likes a well-written page turner that feels like a fast action movie.
    Susan Honson
    Great Read.

I enjoyed this read and the twists in the action. This is the first time I have read this author, and I’m more than a little ashamed to say, the first time I have heard of him... Can’t wait to read more. But, sorry, I never liked the Monk TV or the way Monk was portrayed in the series. ( Sorry again. I’m really glad I didn’t know about the Monk connection until I read this great story. I may not have given it a chance.). So glad I read this book. Thanks Kindle for choosing it as a
    Trish
    Dec 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing
    Highly recommend

I'm starting to think I'm pretty critical of books, but this one was excellent! I honestly wouldn't change anything about it. I wasn't rolling my eyes or skimming, and I finished it in one go. Just sat down to read it and never put it down. I'll definitely look forward to any future books in this series. Lee Goldberg is always good, but this one really worked for me. Awesome offering from Kindle First. Thanks, Amazon!
    Joe Parker
    Dec 04, 2019 rated it it was amazing
    Best book I have read in many years

This book has everything - interesting story, believable characters, and an exciting finish. Eve Ronin is an excellent protagonist. However, the world class plotting is what puts it over the top. There are no loose ends. Every scene has a purpose. Plus, the story keeps pulling you in. It is easy to see why Lee Goldberg is an award-winning author.
    Dec 04, 2019 rated it really liked it
    I love strong female characters...

Eve Ronin is strong as a detective and in the way she handles the misogynistic men (mostly other cops) who cross her path. Yet like any smart and savvy woman new to her job, Eve knows she has a lot to learn and isn’t afraid to ask for help or acknowledge her mistakes. The murders are gruesome, the killer is twisted, and I look forward to reading more Eve Ronin novels.
    Kristie Ghioni
    Excellent read

Could not put this book down! I'm really glad I chose it as a first read this month, it was well written and exciting. I've read quite a few of Lee Goldberg's books and enjoyed them. It was a good mystery kept me guessing all the way. Eve the detective was portrayed as a strong women which I appreciate, can't stand it when women are portrayed as weak. Looking forward to the next book.
    Sandee Rock
    Dec 06, 2019 rated it really liked it
    Driven detective. Police drama with a smart twist

This is a fast-paced police procedural with a not so complex main character. Eve Ronin is a cop made famous by happenstance. However, she maneuvers that situation to get on the detective squad in Los Angelos. She is driven to be the best officer she can. She proves she.is worthy of her new status when she is able to get the evidence needed to convict a serial killer.
    Vleigh
    Dec 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing
    Thoroughly enjoyed this story and finished it in a day. I picked it up from Amazon First Reads as I was looking for a change from my normal sci-fi/fantasy. The main character, Eve, doesn't have super powers or romantic interests -- she is so real and has issues at work as well as home but works hard to get the job done in spite of it all. I want to continue with this series when it comes out in January 2021 (ugh).
    Alice
    Shelves: mystery
    I very much enjoyed it. It is quite short and and well paced. I read it in one day. The Detective, Eve, is likable and her backstory, while very LA is believable. We don't get the backstory on the perpetrator but he is arrogant and easy to dislike. The plot moves right along and hangs together very well.
    Tina Wright
    Dec 03, 2019 rated it really liked it
    Reading this novel at times felt like the literary equivalent of SNL's The Californians sketches, with much prose devoted to descriptions of SoCal roadways and driving routes. Fortunately, I like The Californians, and I liked this book, too--a lot. The action moves quickly and builds to a satisfying conclusion, and Eve is a very likeable heroine. I'd definitely read more of this series.
    Debb Marshall
    Blazing good story

Eve Duncan made the video of taking down an abusive actor into her ticket into a position as a homicide detective. This book shows it was a good decision. This is a fast moving surprise twist and turn taking novel that will keep you up til you read the last sentence.
    Jacquelyn E. Salive
    Dec 04, 2019 rated it really liked it
    Detective at Work

All her new co-workers think Eve was promoted due to a lucky fluke. She knows it was being prepared, but lucky fluke or not she must prove herself when she heads a triple murder case with the brass and the press watching. A treat to read and find out how she does it.
    Nancy
    Dec 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing
    When’s Book 2 Coming Out?!

I’m not an expert on police procedurals or anything so I have no idea how this book is being received by more experienced readers but I loved it! I read it in one sitting while stuck in Thanksgiving traffic from LA, and I wish I had Book 2 to read for the rest of this hellish drive.
    Nancy R Bailey
    Dec 03, 2019 rated it really liked it
    Totally fun read!

I enjoyed the portrayal of Eve as a character in this story. Way too many of the books now days spend so much time on BS inner dialogue as page filler. Goldberg has been around enough not to fall into the repetitive dialogue. The book was a fun one day read. I kept intending to stop. I'd close out then pick it back up in a half hour.
    Dick Dubay
    Dec 06, 2019 rated it really liked it
    Mr. Goldberg has done it again.

There is a new police detective in town. Eve Ronin is a character. Smart, strong and convinced of her beliefs. Ready to take on anyone that gets in her way. She also has many of the faults we all have. If you enjoy police stories I recommend this book.
    Neal B Kilbane
    The Vindication of Eve.

As a crime story reader ,this book hits the top of the charts.A satisfying conclusion to an action packed thriller that left this reader looking for Eve Ronin's next escapade.
    « previous 1 3 next »

• Steel Force (Jack Steel #1)
    • Holly Banks Full of Angst
    • FACTORY GIRL: part 4 of 6
    • A Killing Truth (Leine Basso Thrillers, #0.5)
    • Fur-miliar Felines (A Wonder Cats Mystery Book 7)
    • The Dude Ranger
    • Hinch Yourself Happy: All The Best Cleaning Tips To Shine Your Sink And Soothe Your Soul
    • The Electoral College: A Kid's Guide
    • Harry Potter -- Sheet Music from the Complete Film Series: Piano Solos
    • An Equal Justice (David Adams, #1)
    • Gang Land (The McKays, #4)
    • Bits and Pieces (PTO Murder Club Mystery, #4)
    • Lullaby Road
    • Boundary Haunted (Boundary Magic, #5)
    • Pagans: The End of Traditional Religion and the Rise of Christianity
    • Dead Center (The Still Waters Suspense Series Book 2)
    • Highland Magic: The Complete Series
    • Blood Sport (The McKays, #2)
    #1 New York Times Bestselling author Lee Goldberg is a two-time Edgar Award and two-time Shamus Award nominee whose many TV writing and/or producing credits include "Martial Law," "SeaQuest," "Diagnosis Murder,""Hunter," "Spenser: For Hire," "Nero Wolfe," "Missing." "Monk" and "The Glades." He's also the co-author of the Fox & O'Hare series with Janet Evanovich (The Heist, The Chase, The Job, ...more
    “do it because the victim deserves a cop who will work the case instead of one who is more intent on figuring out how some poor bastard who got shot four times in the back, and got dumped on the jurisdictional line, can be written off as a suicide.” 0 likes
    “They could be mistaken for a father and daughter who liked to carry Glocks.” 0 likes