Start by marking “Beloved Mother” as Want to Read:

Beloved Mother

A story of the lives of three women, tightly woven together and surviving the harsh societal environment of an Appalachian mining town in the early to mid-1900s. Two religions contrast with each other—the Cherokee spirits of the native people and the Old Testament God of the white settlers—as each woman struggles to find her place. Love and hate, marriage and adultery, chi ...more
ebook
Published March 1st 2019 by Bluewater Publications

Nancy
Jul 05, 2019 rated it really liked it
When I first heard the title of Laura Hunter’s recently published first novel, Beloved Mother, I wondered whether this was a sentimental Southern novel, one replete with tales of a mother adored for her unwavering, unqualified love and devotion. Well, in a word, was I ever more wrong!?! Fortunately, I heard the author speak about the book before I read it, and I learned it had won two 2019 international INDIE book awards, for books published by independent book publishers—one for best first nove ...more
Amanda
Jan 08, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2019-reads
Beloved Mother by Laura Hunter is one of those stories that span generations. The novel mostly follows three women. First, there is Mona. She is a wild spirit and is always wandering in nature until one day she comes across Jackson Slocomb who rapes and abuses her. She becomes pregnant at 13 and they come across a Native American man named, Tall Corn and his farm. He protects Mona, who becomes Two Tears. He also raises her son as his own. During this time she learns wisdom and medicine from Belo ...more
Carolyn Breckinridge
Mar 06, 2019 rated it it was amazing
'Beloved Mother' written by author Laura Hunter is a complex book with myriad layers. From the outset, this novel surprised me because the cover art and title seem to belie the harsh plot lines found inside. The book takes place within the grueling realities of an Appalachian coal mining environment. It follows the lives of two sisters and one daughter. The difficulties they face, however, are mitigated by the author's superb imagery and her obvious very strong connection to the beauties and won ...more
Denton
Dec 13, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Beloved Mother is an adventure story about three generations of daring women. Hunter tells us that "women have within them so much love and so much hate they sometime confuse the two," one of the many mysteries about this fast-paced novel that will keep you wondering.
Helen Manoli
Aug 05, 2019 rated it it was ok
Received a copy of this book through NetGalley.So would like to thank the publisher and author for a copy.
Personally found the book difficult to follow,seemed to jump from one character to another leaving nothing finished for example Two tears was ordered to leave by Beloved Mother,without any explanation,then her moving around,leaving his son to his own devices,why he killed her in the end the reader did not know,nothing was explained the dialogue between Brother Moon and Sister Sun I found con
Literary
Dec 21, 2018 rated it liked it
Beloved Mother by Laura Hunter is a saga that follows the lives of several members of the Parsons, a poor coal-mining family. The story begins in Covington, Virginia in 1923 when thirteen-year-old Mona Parsons is taken away to Carolina by Jackson Slocomb. He abuses her, and she's rescued by a Native American man named Walks in Tall Corn. He takes her in and raises her son, Briar, as his own. Ten years later, Tall Corn is injured in a farming accident and his wound becomes infected. He dies and M ...more
Pam
Sep 01, 2019 rated it it was ok
Beloved Mother is a novel by Laura Hunter. It was difficult for me to get into the novel and to really get interested in it. It seemed disjointed at first. Once I got into the story, it got some better; but still wasn’t one of my favorite books.
This is the story of a dysfunctional family in coal mining country. The coal mining was described in a way that really made it come alive and it made me angry. The long shifts the men had with no protection was horrific. The way the coal dust got into th
AF Michael
This was a strange and somehow compelling book. It had some curious characters that looked like they were going somewhere and then they were not. The characters were of the same family, though they did not know it. Kee Granny was a totally strange person who got more twisted the older she got. Anna and Lily lived their lives in sort of a small corner - unwilling to go further and it was almost as though they liked being unhappy or had been unhappy for so very long, they had no idea what happines ...more
Gayle Young
May 12, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Beloved Mother by Laura Hunter gives us an insight into the inner lives of three generations of women, their hardships and struggles, and their will to survive in the midst of poverty, mistreatment and their own mistakes. Her settings are vivid; her characters real and memorable. Their stories weave together the cultures of Appalachia and Cherokee and how each culture views the roles of men and women. It is a well-written, mesmerizing novel. I highly recommend it.
Charlotte Franklin
A gentle story about life

This is I think not your typical read. However it is beautifully written and focuses on the human condition, the beauty, the grief, the situations we get ourselves into by following our hearts and not our heads. A gentle heartfelt story about people and events we all can identify with. With a touch of whimsy and mysticism anyone who loves words would enjoy this book.
shirley m johnson
This book was wonderful! The author's description of the countryside makes you feel as thought you are there. The weaving of three women and their experiences wove a beautiful yet devastating journey. It is seldom that one can come across a book that so captures the imagination and spirit of the characters.
Mary Sue Wilson
Aug 28, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Well Written

This is a story of poor Appalachia coal mining country after WW2. It is filled with the dialect and behavior of the residents. It has a Granny who is a healer using wild plants for her concoction s. It is the story of downtrodden women who do what has to be done to survive.
Susan Matthews
Beloved Mother

This was such a fascinating book. It was filled with sadness and hardship, working so hard for so little and yet more than somewhere else. The Sun and the Moon speak throughout and bring the years that are passing by today's past history. I did not want to put it down
Nancy Massie
Sep 12, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Perfect!

This is one of the most original and interesting stories I have ever read. It is meticulously crafted, thoroughly compelling and infinitely inspiring. I could not put this book down. I highly recommend this book...kudos to Laura Hunter.
Sandy
Sep 03, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Beloved Mother

Interesting storyline about a small community in the coal fields and their struggle to find a better life. Twisted relationships mess up several lives. I enjoyed reading this novel.
Lee Sanders
Aug 26, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Will read again

Haunting,soul-touching, this book is a tribute to the strength of women, and to human foibles. I came to care about these characters, and followed their lives as my own family.
Rose Lewis botts
Interesting perspective

I enjoyed identifying the characters and getting to know the plot of this story. Overcoming tragedy was themed throughout the chapters. The only disconnect was the higher powers at be.
Kathryn Chafin
Excellent READ!!

I love the Carolina's and their Smokey Mountains. This is my kinda book. Lots of nature and folklore. This book spoke to my heart. Yes, you will shed some tears but the read is worth it!!
rosa miller
A very moving book.

This book kept my emotions moving. You feel the despair, the love, the hate. I hope there is another book for a series. I would so like to see what happens in the lives of the characters.
Kathy Runyon
Aug 31, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
An Appalachian Wonder

This book was full of the angst and folklore life in the hills and mountains of the Great Smokey Mountains. It was an interesting story that tugged at my own roots in the Appalacha mountains of Tennessee and Kentucky.
Weiping Yin
Sep 08, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Unforgettable Beautiful story

Like music played legato, like poem read as river flowing, like paintings unfold, beautifully story well written. Sister Sun, Brother Moon, Great Spirit, three generations of Virginia miners, it is a story moving your heart.
William Brown
Aug 24, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Wonderful read

This was different from the books I usually read. I enjoyed the characters as I got to know them. Lots of Indian lore too. Very good book.
Skucherer
Depressing

The writing is very good. The descriptions of the mountains and forests are very compelling and beautiful. However, the story is very dark, bleak, mystical, and hopeless.
Susan
Sep 01, 2019 rated it really liked it
It was hard to get into this story. There was no one to like until 3/4 of the book was read. It was well written & I did finish reading it. Just hard to connect
saundrea  robinson
Sep 12, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It was a long twisted story about three women from one area in the south, who were related, but unknown to two of them.
Rachel Cacek
Aug 25, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Incredibly different novel

A very Intriguing story of mountain people and their lives and tragedies. Very interesting stories and folklore of the Cherokee Indians.
Joan Hayes
Jun 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing
It’s not prose, it’s poetry. Author Laura Hunter is a master storyteller who will keep you spellbound.
joan k. huckestein