Start by marking “Black Nowhere” as Want to Read:
Black Nowhere

Black Nowhere

(Lisa Tanchik #1)

Chasing a cybercriminal into the pitch-black heart of the Dark Web.

Special Agent Lisa Tanchik is the best at taking down cybercriminals. So when the FBI discovers a multibillion-dollar black market online, she’s tasked with finding the creator and bringing him to justice. Donning one of her many digital disguises, Tanchik goes undercover into the network.

Brilliant college
Audio CD
Expected publication: September 1st 2019 by Brilliance Audio

Win a Copy of This Book

• Black Nowhere by Reece Hirsch
    Black Nowhere (Lisa Tanchik #1)
    Release date: Sep 01, 2019
    Chasing a cybercriminal into the pitch-black heart of the Dark Web.

Format: Kindle book

Giveaway ends in: a

Availability: 100 copies available, 980 people requesting

Giveaway dates: Aug 04 - Aug 31, 2019

Countries available: U.S.

• Friend Reviews

To ask other readers questions about Black Nowhere, please sign up.
    This question contains spoilers… (view spoiler)
    Reece Hirsch Yes, it is very much a Firefly reference. I spell it out in the book, so I'm not trying to hide anything there. Nice catch!

Dee Arr
    Aug 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
    Shelves: thriller, crime-novel
    Described as a thriller, “Black Nowhere” lives up to its advance billing. Reece Hirsch has crafted an excellent story that offers a quick, entertaining read. I found most of the book to be reality-based, without the usual over-the-top gimmicks normally employed by authors in this genre.

The story is told by two people, Lisa Tanchik and Nate Fallon. Lisa is an FBI Agent who has been “exiled” due to an unfortunate event early in her career, but the opportunity arises for her to help with a case inv
    Dennis
    Aug 13, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
    What started out so amazingly, fell right down midway. Reece Hirsch’s Black Nowhere really does start juicy—we have a twenty five year old man creating a black market for drugs and weapons sales, with a FBI hacker following his every move. Black Nowhere starts off “distant” but it’s interpreted as dark and mysterious, however after halfway through the novel, we still have little to no characterization of the main character. I felt “distant” throughout the story and once the mystery faded, it was ...more
    Nfloodtularosa.net
    This book was not a good fit for me.

This was probably a better book than I am giving it credit for. I just don’t follow all of the internet “happenings” and don’t understand it when I try. The criminal procedural part was interesting and I did like the main character. This book was not a good fit for me.
    Ashley Noelle Lewis
    This is more like 1.5 stars. The .5 star is simply because I feel like the author is skilled at writing...but the story and characters were not good.

This book follows both an FBI agent and a cyber drug criminal. We go through the investigation and also get to see how things play out from the criminal side of things, which is a great concept. However, I did not get attached to either character. I did not root for either one to "win" in the end, because I honestly did not care.

Overall, this was a
    Djamila
    Aug 13, 2019 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
    Amazon free book. Totally boring.
    Kip
    Aug 08, 2019 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
    Don't waste your time on this fictionalized version of "American Kingpin: The Epic Hunt for the Criminal Mastermind Behind the Silk Road" by Nick Bilton. The real life story is far more captivating and enjoyable.
    martin hansen
    Well written, very readable, but...

It appeared to be a fictionalised account of the Silk Road investigation, which I am already familiar with, therefore I found my interest flagging quite early. Because the true SR story is so fascinating, this account came across to me as a pale imitation and it became a DNF @ 20%.

I guess the plot may fork from reality later on in the book, but I'm afraid it didn't hold my attention long enough to find out.
    Carl
    Aug 05, 2019 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
    Didn’t make it very far before giving up on this novel. Would have scored it zero stars if that were an option. The free books on Amazon are seldom great, this experience will make me more cautious about what I download in the future.
    Deb
    Two and half stars

A fictionalized account of the take down of Ross Ulbrict founder of the dark website, Silk Road, this book fails to add anything worthwhile to the mix. Since this is labeled, "Lisa Tanchik #1", presumable this is meant as an introduction to a new series lead. Sadly, Lisa Tanchik is a complete non-entity. We are told at the start that she deals with hereditary depression with pills and alcohol and brags about getting into the FBI anyway because although they knew about the depre
    D. Starr
    Aug 22, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
    Recommends it for: Mature audiences
    How a Young Man's Values Get Compromised

For mature audiences
    Very limited strong language
    No sex
    Violence, but if you can stomach the TV show "Bones" you'll be okay

Plot - no spoilers:
    Lisa, a young cybercrime expert, discovers a new, sophisticated site on the dark web that comes to be called the eBay of illegal drugs and weaponry. She makes it her mission to figure out who has created it and to get it taken down.
    Nate, the creator of the site, sees his new business as an avenue for all people to buy
    Harry
    Aug 22, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
    Reece Hirsch has written a fun and compelling novel about FBI cyber sleuth, Lisa Tanchik, and how she takes down the eBay of the drug industry and puts a dent in a Mexican drug cartel. After getting her ass kicked in Quantico, Tanchik uses her geek cyber skills to her advantage. Despite the tech talk, the novel was very understandable.
    However Lisa herself is not a very compelling heroine. She has no social life, no romantic interests, and very few inner conflicts. Lisa's bouts with depression an
    Greg Kerr
    Aug 08, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
    Good Page Turner

I was not sure about the book at first: too many books today have down in their luck, self-destructive protagonist. Sure, they all manage to overcome their social ineptness to save the day, but today's hero's are no longer the ordinary people that overcome unusual circumstances.

That said, the story started to click and was an enjoyable read. I gave the book only 4 stars because there seems to have been several times that one of the two main characters indicate that they are not g
    Andy
    Aug 15, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
    I definitely dug on this story. Simple, yet extremely terrifying, just the notion and idea that something like Kyte exists is very scary. Agent Lisa Tanchik is a compelling character and I look forward to seeing how her story evolves and she continues to investigate cybercrime for the FBI. Nate, the antagonist was very interesting in his philosophies and motivations. I just thought the story was well thought out and intriguing, but there were some holes here and there and that was a little annoy ...more
    Lauren Williams
    Aug 04, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
    Everyone's a critic, right?

In all honesty my review means nothing in the grand scheme of things. This is just me seeking to acknowledge what has been created here. Those stars better represent the emotion that I feel after completing this book than anything else. I'm just missing a small bit of closure that I would have liked. I encourage anyone reading this to buy this book themselves. Perhaps I'm not the only one to feel this way. They say exceptional art moves you. Or maybe I'm just an overly
    Patricia L Kerr
    Aug 20, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
    Dark net thriller

On social media people say things they most likely would never say in person. Same is true on the dark net but now it's actions. Being so far removed Nate finds himself doing things he never thought he was capable of. I really can't stand the guy. He's narcissistic and greedy. Kept hoping he might see he left all that was good and traded it for a lie. I would have given it a five but the ending seemed rushed as if the author was trying to fit another chapter into only a couple o
    Jon Spriggs
    Aug 17, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
    I selected Black Nowhere as my August Amazon First Reads selection.

Let's get the great stuff done first. It's a well written book. It's not such a techno-bath that you couldn't give it to a teenager to read and understand, and it's got a compelling and well written story that pulls you through. The main characters are compelling and understandable and have a reasonable backstory.

Now, there is a downside to this story. It's basically a loosely rewritten story of the real-life take-down of Silk Ro
    Diana
    Aug 23, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
    Surprisingly engaging read!

I enjoyed this book more than I expected. Especially since, for much of the book, nothing really happened. It unfolded slowly and deliberately, with a hefty dose of action as it came into the end. I'm not thrilled with books about drugs. And I'm not an internet expert. So the fact that I enjoyed this book so much said something. I wasn't really thrilled with how it ended, but that's okay. Overall. I did enjoy the book. And I would read more by this author.
    Phil Ellenberger
    Appropriately named

I got the book because it was advertised as about the dark web. Well I t was what I learned is that web and it's denizens are not a place I am interested in returning to. Assuming the a author accurately describe the attitude and of the geography it is not to be admired The story is well told. I am glad I reading it if you don't already know of the down sides involved.
    Paul
    Aug 16, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
    Well handled technical details, good suspense

Overall, enjoyable. Well written. Well handled technical details, good suspense. This is a world of complexity with plenty of opportunity for other actors and events to bend and fold the sequence of events. Specifically, the FBI agent needed an early small success to keep the story from lagging about 1/3 of the way in. The type of reader who would love this story crave the details and logic twists.
    Gary Webster
    Aug 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
    For Geeks Only?

I wasn’t sure I was going to like a book about computers and computer espionage. I read the reviews on this book and many of them were highly positive. Several people referred to this book as “a page turner”. I found myself quickly engrossed in the book. The story moves right along and I liked the flawed characters. I really liked this book and I highly recommend it.
    Paul Mulwitz
    Aug 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
    A thought provoking book.

I really enjoyed reading this story. I kept trying to guess the final outcome but failed miserably. It wasn't due to lack of clues or poor development of the story. Maybe it was the unique nature of the characters and original story line.

I liked the way the story created anticipation without using unjustified violence so common in the thriller genre.
    Linden
    Aug 05, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
    One of this month's Amazon Prime First Reads freebies, this techno-thriller follows FBI agent and computer geek Lisa as she tracks the source of Kyte, a dark web marketplace for drugs. It simultaneously parallels Kyte's founder, self-proclaimed libertarian Nate, as he strives to avoid both a Mexican cartel and discovery by the feds. This is not usually a genre I read, but it was definitely one of the best First Reads I've ever selected. I'd definitely look for another book in this series.
    mike jamison
    Aug 24, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
    The Amazon of drug dealers.

This is an interesting reveal into how the Dark Web works and how hard it is to po!ice. Nate Fallon, a grad student, created an online forum to sell drugs online. Rookie FBI agent Lisa Tanchik gets herself assigned to the task force to try to stop him. Immersing herself into the Dark Web she makes undercover contact and begins to create leads. The story moves quickly and remains interesting thru out.
    Andi
    This book had an interesting premise and the plot moved quickly, but the author obviously dislikes libertarians, and spewed his dislike for libertarians every chance he could get. I’m not a libertarian, but I really hate when books embed politics in their stories, especially when it wasn’t needed, as was in this case. I won’t be reading any more of his novels.
    cobin
    Aug 16, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
    Well worth the time

Nothing makes you feel older than a genre of book that goes right over your head. When my phone goes berserk, I still go get the grandcritters. So you can judge my familiarity with computers. This book is so full of characters and plot lines that held my interest even though the technology sometimes left me behind that I think anyone will enjoy it.
    Matthew Morris
    Aug 04, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
    A good quick read that keeps your attention.

Disclaimer: This was a free book of the month selection.

A surprisingly fast and satisfying read. Both the protagonists, as both main characters believe they are the hero, are flawed and in their own way, frighteningly normal. Very glad I picked this up, will be looking for the author.
    Gretchen
    Aug 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
    Scary suspense

VERY few books make me pull back and do the whole "put 'The Shining' in the freezer" move, but halfway through, I was just, can't even! Real life , bloody cartels burning you from the neck up?! Uh uh. Haven't been able to finish this yet. Last time I did this was Koontz's "Intensity". You just KNOW it's gonna hurt...
    Natty
    Aug 08, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
    Thought provoking and engaging, unlike any crime/thriller novel I've read. I enjoy novels that force a different perspective and have you rooting for the character that's supposed to be the bad guy. Lots of discussion about freedom and responsibility in here as well as the tech thriller elements, makes for a well balanced story.
    Suzette
    Aug 06, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
    Being king isn't easy

Lisa, FBI agent, specializes in cyber crime. She lost her sister to drug addiction. Trolling through the Dark Web, she comes across Kyte , a website selling illegal drugs. She wants to find out who runs it. Perhaps payback for her sister. It is dangerous selling drugs even on the internet. People get rich and people get hurt.
    Michael
    Aug 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
    « previous 1 3 next »
    Cozy Nook of Book...: Black Nowhere 1 2 Aug 15, 2019 06:35PM
    Reece Hirsch is the author of five thrillers that draw upon his background as a privacy attorney. His first book, The Insider, was a finalist for the 2011 International Thriller Writers Award for Best First Novel. His next three books, The Adversary, Intrusion, and Surveillance, all feature former Department of Justice cybercrimes prosecutor Chris Bruen. Hirsch is a partner in the San Francisco of ...more

Lisa Tanchik (2 books)
    • Dark Tomorrow (Lisa Tanchik #2)