Start by marking “Where The Story Starts” as Want to Read:
Where The Story Starts

Where The Story Starts

A strange encounter. An unlikely friendship. But will it survive when they both know the truth?

As single mother Leah struggles to get her children ready one morning, the doorbell rings. Standing on the doorstep of their terraced house in Whitley Bay is a well-dressed stranger, Clio, who feels an emotional tie to the house that she can’t explain. The story should end there,
Published June 4th 2019 by Lake Union Publishing

To ask other readers questions about Where The Story Starts, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Where The Story Starts

Start your review of Where The Story Starts
Anjana
May 14, 2019 rated it really liked it
Frankly speaking, I should not have liked the book as much as I did. I understood the storyline from the beginning, knew the events before they happened and generally not a fan of the topic being handled. Despite all of the above conditions, I liked the book, enough to give it four stars!

I do not know what to credit for this strange occurrence, but it might have been the four women of the tale. There are more strong women, but four of them are our main focus. Two women in the past and two in the
Madeleine Douglas
This was all too trite & sugary. The characters were very 2 dimensional & largely too good to be true. The big secret is so obvious that there was no suspense to it & the only characters we got to know were the female protagonists.
The storyline would have been greatly improved by giving Charles some chapters.
Clare
With thanks to Netgalley and Amazon for this ARC in exchange for an open and honest review.

I mostly read thrillers but I also enjoy women's fiction. This is the first book I have read written by Imogen Clark. If you enjoy Amanda Prowse, I highly recommend this book. Based on Where The Story Starts I think I have discovered a great new author.

I was drawn into this book from the first page. The plot was intriguing even though it was obvious early on how Charles and Ray were connected.

The book was
Sarah Disher neddow
Jun 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Oh I just love anything Imogen Clark puts down on paper I was lucky enough to receive a NetGalley ARC in exchange for an honest review.
The characters in this book felt like friends right from the start. I was drawn in and wanted to follow their stories as their lives and connections began to reveal themselves. I rooted for happy endings for them all! The complexity of choices that were made throughout will make you wonder whether honesty is always the best policy.
My highest praise is that I
Naomi
Jan 12, 2020 rated it liked it
I was torn on my rating for this book. The story was completely predictable from very early in, and the characters were a bit one dimensional. However, it was quite an easy and enjoyable read.
May 31, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Loved this book- the characters, story and writing style!! I loved the previous books by the author, but this is my new favorite. I just love the way Imogen Clark tells a story. I get caught up and feel like I'm a part of it. Clio, Leah and Grace were my favorite characters. They were all amazing in their own way. Charles was simply a terrible. All he thought about was himself. Did he even love his wife? He honestly thought he got away with everything and was great at keeping secrets/lying. I'm ...more
Karen McQuestion
Aug 11, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This was an easy novel to sink into, which is not always the case with me lately. I wasn't sure where the story was going, but I was along for the ride and I was rewarded with strong characterization and some surprising (but not shocking) twists and turns. I really enjoyed the book!
Christa Dagg
Jan 29, 2020 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2020-reads
Largely predictable and unsatisfying. I might have enjoyed a little more insight into Charles' story. It's possible that I might have hated him a little less if I could have read some of his anguish after choosing to walk away from his "wife" and daughter...but probably not. There's little I despise more than men getting away with their dirty deeds without consequence. I gave it 3 stars because I cared about Leah, Melissa, Grace and Clio.
Pauline Coulthard
Jan 01, 2020 rated it really liked it
Enjoyable story about love, friendship, and betrayal, Leah has had a rough life since her mother committed suicide but is finally feeling contented with life when a young woman around the same age knocks on her door asking to see inside her house, a friendship soon develops but can the truth spoil everything.
Alison
May 20, 2019 rated it really liked it
Leah and Clio meet outside Leah's front door. And they are so far apart in society but end up becoming the best of friends, bringing out the best in each other and supporting the weak parts in each other.
I clicked the story-line quite fast, although I had a few doubts every now and then.
The author has taken a rather predictable story-line, added twists and turns and colourful characters that make it a most enjoyable read.
No matter how deep you try to bury a secret it has a way of coming out when
TracieB♠️
May 11, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2019-netgalley
Absolutely fabulous read! Loved the storyline and characters.

I loved the writing style here and the past present set up, you really get drawn in to each character and totally understand the reasonings behind their decisions etc

Fab book!
Fay Flude
Jul 12, 2019 rated it really liked it
It is obvious where this story is heading but this doesn't detract from enjoying the story as it unfolds. We follow two very different women who are related (half-sisters) but don't know it. We step into the tow very different lives of one man who has two wives and two families in two different places. I love the way the story weaves in and out of the past and the present, tracing the beginning of and development of love and parenthood and what happens when two worlds collide. It is a testament ...more
Karen
May 30, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I won this Kindle version of the book in a giveaway on Goodreads. I read it in one day which is indicative of the fact that I found the story and the characters to be very engaging and charming. The story takes place in England. The plot is a story of bigamy, and the ultimate effect it had upon the wives and families. It was quite clear to the reader, long before the story's characters were aware, of the duplicity of the father figure. The text flowed well, and was nicely written. An objection I ...more
Andrea
Jun 04, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Karen Whittard
May 24, 2019 rated it it was amazing
A well written family drama. That spans generations and has many deep dark secrets in it. It is very well written. With some sensitive subjects. Great characters and a lyrical style to it. That is very enjoyable to read.
Joann
This was a freebie for me to listen to and I thoroughly enjoyed it. I went into it not really knowing what it was about but it kept me glued from beginning to end. The reader is kept in the dark at the beginning and then slowly the pieces start to fall into place and you become really engrossed in the story-line. The plot is one I won't reveal so that you can gasp, like I did, when the truth is revealed. All the characters in the book were strong and I grew to love them on this journey and ...more
Lex Nuttall
Oct 21, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Where the story starts exactly: a beautiful read.

I absolutely adored this book. It was light hearted to read, full of lots of ‘ooh’ moments and a truly twisting, satisfying novel. Although upon reading, it was quite easy to guess the plot lines, it was still a pleasure non the less. The chapters and jumps in time between the four female characters, ensured as a reader all points of the plot were covered from the different perspectives and points of views. The last chapter was also a welcomed
Cynthia Grove
Jul 29, 2019 rated it really liked it
I found this a surprisingly good book. I thought it might be a very light story which in a way it was. Rather it is a story of pain and sadness that is underlain with positivity all handled with a light touch. It deals with the complex emotions of five people caught up in a painful deceit. The story is handled really well with some very satisfying writing.
Sandra McKenna
Sep 22, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A wonderfully woven story.

Well to do Clio and working girl Leah become friends despite coming from totally different backgrounds. But what is it that compelled Clio seek out Leah in the first place?
A wonderfully woven story with lots of secrets, lies, and deception which can only lead to heartache.
Well written and entertaining from beginning to end; a real page turner for me.
Jeri
Nov 18, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 50-books-2019
Addictive read!

So enjoyable! I could see some of what was to unfold, a bit predictable, but the characters are all endearing, I was hooked and couldn't put it down.
Jessy
May 29, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
You can tell from a mile away everything that’s going to happen in this book. I usually can’t stand predictability. But the author wrote these characters so well you can’t help wanting to be a part of their lives...So you keep reading and end up enjoying every minute of it. At least I did. :)
Michele Zito
Nov 21, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great book . Funny how someone can deceive their loved ones for such a long period of time without them catching on. How this story unfolds over time is so fraught with lies and deceit from the main character I am almost positive that this type of situation still exist causing such heartbreak and pain to the persons involved. The author really captured the feelings that this book expresses with her excellent writing.
I will be reading more from this author.
Michele Zito
Hannelore Cheney
Dec 27, 2019 rated it really liked it
This was another good book by Imogen Clark, although not my favorite. It's told in the voices of 4 women, mothers and daughters, set in the past and today. Leah, who I consider the main character, was definitively my favourite. She's strong, feisty and a terrific mother. The other three were likeable too, but I found them too soft on the male characters, one of them definitely needed a boot up his bum and the other one a smack.
But it's nonetheless a good book, I think you never have to
Karen
Jul 24, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
3.5 rounded down.This novel was enjoyable to read albeit predictable. It would be a great beach read.
Jackie Stitt
Jul 06, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Intriguing. Story

It took me until I finished the first chapter, to get into the story and get to know the characters. I loved the female characters, however, Charles was a different matter. Such a page turner, especially when I knew what was going on. Great read.
Julie
Oct 19, 2019 rated it it was ok
To be honest I skim read this. Very predictable storyline, saccharine ending and very little judgement on the chaos and tragedy that the main character caused.
May 28, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: arc, netgalley
Wow! I just didn’t want to put this down and I kept holding my breath waiting for it to all unravel! Lies, lies and more lies!! This is suspenseful and I couldn’t believe what I was reading. Great writing! I wonder if they’ll do a movie about this one?

I don’t want to give anything away but, what a tangled web we weave! Things got really crazy in this one and I couldn’t wait to find out how it all went down. Lies, mystery and friendship all tied up together! What’s not to love about that? I
Nichole Doud
May 26, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shades of Liane Moriarty. Told primarily through four female narrators, there is a secret or two here, but this story isn't about the reader uncovering them (the first is understood fairly early on); rather, it chronicles the journey the characters take as secrets are revealed and the compromises and fallout that result. It was that journey that hooked me. At first, I was a little disappointed that there was nothing for me to figure out, but as I got to know and care for the characters, I raced ...more
Cindy
Jun 02, 2019 rated it it was ok
Shelves: netgalley
The author is very perceptive in the way she describes her characters thoughts but I struggled to finish this book as the story was very predictable and one I had read many times before. I will definitely check out this authors other books as she is a very strong writer; I just couldn't enjoy this story which has been told so many times before.

Thank you to NetGalley for providing me an early release in exchange for an honest and fair review.

Pam
Aug 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Where the Story Starts is by Imogen Clark. This book is set in England at the beach town of Whitley Beach. The book tells the story of one man and two families and how this one man ruined the lives of so man and yet enriched them too.
Clio Montgomery Smith lived at home and had no occupation. She was at loose ends. She never had to work and being raised in an all girls’ school, she didn’t learn to flirt with men and so had no suitor. Her brother was away at boarding school and then university so
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 next »

• This Is Me
  • Spring House
  • The Memory Tree
  • The Dressmaker's Gift
  • A Bittersweet Surprise (Starlight Cove #3)
  • The Art of Inheriting Secrets
  • The Things I Know
  • You Then, Me Now
  • The Other Wife
  • One for the Blackbird, One for the Crow
Bestselling author Imogen Clark writes contemporary women’s fiction about the secrets that hide at the heart of the families that she creates. She lives in Yorkshire with her husband and children (who hopefully have no such secrets to tell!)

POSTCARDS FROM A STRANGER and THE THING ABOUT CLARE both reached the top of the Amazon Kindle Charts in the UK and Australia and WHERE THE STORY STARTS has
“How did people get through the death of their loved ones unscathed? It felt like an impossible task to her, and one that she was totally unprepared for.” 1 likes
“Grief was so difficult to deal with after the initial shock had passed. Once the funeral was over and done with, you were simply expected to return to normal and not subject those around you to any outward displays of pain.” 1 likes