Start by marking “Atlas Alone” as Want to Read:
Atlas Alone

Atlas Alone

(Planetfall #4)

Six months after she left Earth, Dee is struggling to manage her rage toward the people who ordered the nuclear strike that destroyed the world. She's trying to find those responsible, and to understand why the ship is keeping everyone divided into small groups, but she's not getting very far alone.

A dedicated gamer, she throws herself into mersives to escape and is appro

Published April 18th 2019 by Gollancz (first published April 16th 2019)

To ask other readers questions about Atlas Alone, please sign up.

Justine
May 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Tense and tightly plotted, this fourth book in the Planetfall series is unputdownable.

Taking place six months after the events of the chronologically concurrent books After Atlas and Before Mars, Atlas Alone is set on the ship heading for the Pathfinder's world. Deanna, who we first encountered in After Atlas, is the POV character this time around.

As usual, Newman demonstrates her peerless mastery of delving the emotions and sense experiences of her characters as Dee is confronted by her past
Bradley
Over and over, I'm confronted with the fact that I'm in love with Emma Newman's writing. She keeps changing tracks with every novel, giving us completely different KINDS of novels while still intersecting them all in not very strange but emotionally impactful ways.

I mean, JEEZE. I could just mention what big thing happens in the other books and let all my gushy bits come out, but that's spoiler territory. What I will mention is my total respect for the way she treats trauma, surreal virtual-real
Kaitlin
Apr 25, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
* I read this as part of the OWLs readathon for the Divination prompt *

This book was one of my most anticipated as Emma Newman is one of my all-time favourite people and authors. She always delivers something I haven't seen before and it's always fresh, vibrant, challenging and fun all rolled together. This latest instalment for the Planetfall series is no exception.

This story can be read as a standalone, but I would highly recommend that you read the previous three before this as I do think tha
Veronique
May 06, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
4.5*

It was with trepidation that I started this new novel from Newman, expecting the usual focus on a mental illness combined with a thriller story. The author didn’t disappoint :O)

Atlas Alone is the fourth novel in this universe but the first that felt like a direct sequel, of book 2. The narration, this time shown from the point of view of Dee, meets her six months after the events of After Atlas, where she is finding it hard to adapt to life on the ship. Dee, and indeed Carl, cannot forget th
Sarah (CoolCurryBooks)
I ultimately found Atlas Alone to be disappointing. Part of this is that the previous three books have set a high bar, the other part is that I wasn’t happy with the novel’s asexual representation. The majority of this review is devoted to Atlas Alone‘s depiction of asexuality.

Atlas Alone is the fourth novel in Emma Newman’s Planetfall series. Unlike the others, it isn’t really a stand-alone — I highly recommend reading After Atlas first. This review will contain spoilers for After Atlas, so sto
The Captain
Apr 16, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sci-fi
Ahoy there mateys!  I received this sci-fi eARC from NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.  So here be me honest musings.  While the other three books in the series can be read in any order, this book follows events in after atlas.  While I try to post no spoilers, if ye haven't read that one and keep reading this log then ye have been forewarned and continue at yer own peril . . . .

I read these books in publishing order and I do recommend that a person new to the series do so as well even
Denise
May 04, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
There were times when I felt like this was a 3 star book at best. I was rarely surprised by the plot twists until the end. As with the other books in this series there are intense psychological issues explored. I think this was not quite as convincing as a portrait of the thinking caused by trauma. Still, I kept with the book (audio with the author reading which I enjoyed) and I can see that the final scene will be crucial to the further story-so 4 stars.
William
May 09, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
4-Stars

Yes, you should read at least book #2, After Atlas before reading this. And I recommend you read book #1, Planetfall, as well.

A very good continuation of the Planetfall series, and it would have been 5-stars except for the incredibly dull setups to the immersion video game play. I find video games pretty boring, and "reading them" is ten times worse.

The opening is very good, especially after the terribly flawed Before Mars. It's nice to be back with Carl, Trevor and Dee again. This story
Rachel (TheShadesofOrange)
3.5 Stars - Video Review: https://youtu.be/Cre_bGpFKHw
Picking up in the aftermath of the previous Planetfall novels, Atlas Alone was particularly dark and rather depressing. At its core, this was a story of revenge and the subsequent fallout of those actions.

All the books in the Planetfall series are loosely connected to each other and are largely considered to be companion novels, rather than direct sequels. However, this fourth novel was much more dependant on the setup of the previous books.
Juli
Apr 22, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Atlas Alone is the 4th book in the Planetfall series. The prior three books could be read as standalone novels. Each book told the story of the aftermath of a cult's exodus from Earth from a different perspective. Atlas Alone brings the prior plots full circle, bringing back characters from previous books and making references to events in all of the prior Planetfall novels. This isn't a standalone story a reader can jump into before reading the other books in the series. There are spoilers rega ...more
Jacqie
Feb 20, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Chris
Mar 17, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sci-fi
*copy from Netgalley in exchange for a review*

Atlas Alone is the fourth in Emma Newman’s ‘Planetfall’ series, though (as I can attest) it also works as a standalone novel. There are some callbacks to the earlier works, but while they add additional flavour and context, you can quite happily read this book on its own.
This is a story which examines big ideas in a futuristic setting. And a story about one person, and the choices which they make, and why. And a story about the near future, and what
Tammy
Apr 20, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I received this book for free from the Publisher in exchange for an honest review. This does not affect my opinion of the book or the content of my review.The nitty-gritty: A mesmerizing and dangerous thriller where reality and fantasy merge.

Emma Newman’s Planetfall series has been a wild ride, but if I’m reading the ending correctly, that ride isn’t over yet. This is the first book in the series that actually feels like a sequel. The events start a few months after the shocking ending of Aft
Leseparatist
Apr 17, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2019, earc
I received the ARC of this book from NetGalley in exchange for a review.

I am not quite sure what to say about this novel! I have been enthralled by this series since I read the first volume, and the fourth novel continues to complicate the world and the story - one not only of individuals but humanity in this dystopian near future. This story is satisfactory, fascinating and complex. I cannot wait for its next chapter. The themes of freedom and enslavement, capitalism and religious fundamentalis
Jypsy
Feb 17, 2019 marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Atlas Alone is a kind of cyber techno gamer story. I'm not a gamer, and honestly, I think that put me off the book. It's a good story and well written for the right reader. I couldn't get interested enough to care what happened. For fans of this genre, it's great. Unfortunately, I don't mix well with this story. Thanks to NetGalley for an arc in exchange for an honest review.
Lata
May 11, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Another excellent entry in Emma Newman's Planetfall series. This time, we follow Deanna, Dee, on board the Atlas as she, Carlos, Travis and others are on their way to God City. Dee is nursing a growing fury against the perpetrators of the horrific situation that ends the previous Atlas story. Dee begins her own investigation into who might have been responsible. She's assisted by some unknown entity on board, and when things go seriously, horribly wrong during what Dee thought was a game/simulat ...more
Jenn Conwell
Apr 16, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Sci-fi, gamers, and star fans alike, this one is for you. This is the latest novel in the Planetfall series, one of which I’m sad to be just learning about. I will say I feel like I would’ve benefited from reading the previous books before this one, but it did not ruin the reading experience for me. Stuck in a virtual reality, Dee is caught having committed a crime and has the most unusual co-conspirator. Just wait until you find out who it really is! This was a really cool and wonderfully adven ...more
Matthew Galloway
Argh! Every one of these books ramps up the tension towards what will happen at the end. We've got all these characters, all these events, these mysteries left from the first book... But each novel is definitely fascinating. I think Dee may have been the most interesting one yet. As per usual, it's hard to say anything with out creating spoilers, but I will say that I loved the interesting parallels between Dee and her contact's mental states and that there were some utterly chilling scenes.
Nils
Ganz ähnlich wie in "Before Mars" erzählt Newman eine kompakte und vielleicht etwas zu stringente Geschichte. Gut geschrieben, intelligent konstruiert und nachdenklich.
Cheryl
May 03, 2019 marked it as x-new  ·  review of another edition
Supposedly these Planetfall books each stand alone. But I've seldom been hooked by a series as firmly as I am by these. And it's not because I absolutely love them, but more because I admire how they're crafted, and, yes, because I want to learn more about this world and these characters.

They are about as hooked together as Becky Chambers's books. *I* strongly recommend reading both 'series' in publishing order. But if you feel compelled to sample at random, that's better than skipping them alt
Liz Barnsley
Apr 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I really love the Planetfall series,every one is a pure joy to read and although it is a series they are loosely and randomly connected so you can pick up any one at any point.
Atlas Alone is a dark, enthralling addition to the list, a tightly claustrophobic mix of mystery, science fiction and character driven drama, once more beautifully imagined and perfectly executed by Emma Newman whose prose is a sheer delight.
Dee is a complex and engaging character, drawn into a terrifyingly real and emotio
Laura Hill
Dec 18, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I received a complimentary copy of this book from Berkley Publishing Group -- Ace through NetGalley. Opinions expressed in this review are completely my own. The book will be published on April 16, 2019.
Writing: 3/5 Plot: 3.5/5 Characters: 4/5

Elite gamer Dee Whittaker is 43 years old when she finds herself on a ship headed to the outer galaxies on a 20 year trip. She and the other 10,000 people on board are probably all that's left of humanity as a nuclear war was launched by someone on the shi
Lucille
3,75/5
Read this as an eARC from netgalley

The planetfall series is one of my all time favourite, almost impossible for me to rank Planetfall, After Atlas and Before Mars, but unfortunately Atlas Alone isn't a new favourite.
I liked the premise and loved the ending but as a whole I'm left a bit disappointed (though I really really want a book 5 so I'll buy a copy to complete my collection)

For the representation, the main character doesn't use the word "asexual" but it's made clear in her words th
Mike
Dec 17, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: galley
3.5 out of 5 stars

Atlas 2 hurtles away from Earth, leaving a broken planet in its rearview mirror. Passenger Dee knows that those responsible for the mass genocide they left behind are on board as well, but who are they and how can she punish them?

Emma Newman’s writing continues to be very smooth and easy to read. She explores Dee’s complex emotional state quite effectively and I was invested in her journey. Her VR-like “mersive” environments were incredibly vivid and fun to read, as well.

The st
Aristotle
Twitch Stream

I don't understand today's craze of watching other people play video games. What's fun about that?
Well this book i'm reading about Dee playing a video game. Well what's fun about that?
It felt like i was watching a role-playing game (RPG) on Twitch stream.

Earth was destroyed by a thermo nuclear war and a ship carrying 10,000 escaped and is headed for another planet.
It's a 20 year trip so what else is there to do but play games. While immersed in a RPG Dee killed a NPC who ended up d
Karen A. Wyle
On the plus side, Newman remains skilled at creating an ominous, claustrophobic, mysterious atmosphere, and at the construction of suspenseful plots. The POV character, Dee, is well conceived and complex, and an appropriate focal point for the story. Dee's friend Carl is similarly well drawn.

My main problem with this book is that even more than the preceding book in this series, the author's political viewpoint is both pervasive and intrusive. To Evil Corporations, we now add another, even more
Doon
Apr 24, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Michelle
May 15, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: scifi
Yet another taut, compelling novel about an isolated person. The protagonist this time is Deanna, whom we met in After Atlas, and her storyline is a doozy. Interestingly, Dee is a serious gamer, asexual, and also possibly borderline sociopathic or something from her terrible past. How does she react to finding herself on a spaceship with the people who were responsible for nuking Earth? I couldn't put this down. Dee isn't my favorite of the characters in a Planetfall novel, but the story was sti ...more
Olga
Apr 29, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This can't be the end. 😵
I will never get tired of this world and I hope Newman will write more books in this series. This book wasn't my favorite but it blew my mind towards the end, so I needed to bumo the rating to 4/5.

I'm readyto read more books by Newman. 😊
Jane
The fourth novel in the Planetfall sequence and Emma Newman has done it again. Atlas Alone is an exquisite sci fi thriller and as with all in this series it has really kept me guessing.

• Empress of Forever
  • Poor Relations
  • The Ascent to Godhood (Tensorate, #4)
  • Network Effect (The Murderbot Diaries, #5)
  • The Future of Another Timeline
  • The War of the Givens (Silvers, #3)
  • Ancestral Night (White Space, #1)
  • The Light Brigade
  • Moon Rising (Luna #3)
  • The City We Became
  • Terminal Uprising  (Janitors of the Post-Apocalypse, #2)
  • The Hound of Justice (Janet Watson Chronicles #2)
  • Motherland
  • Untitled (The Dandelion Dynasty, #3)
  • This Is How You Lose the Time War
  • Grave Importance (Dr. Greta Helsing, #3)
  • The Diamond Deep (Ruby's Song, #2)
  • Do You Dream of Terra-Two?
Emma Newman writes dark short stories and science fiction and urban fantasy novels.

'Between Two Thorns', the first book in Emma's Split Worlds urban fantasy series, was shortlisted for the BFS Best Novel and Best Newcomer awards.

Emma's latest book, Planetfall, is a standalone science fiction novel published by Roc.

Emma is a professional audiobook narrator and also co-writes and hosts the Hugo-no

Planetfall (4 books)
  • Planetfall (Planetfall, #1)
  • After Atlas (Planetfall, #2)
  • Before Mars (Planetfall, #3)
“As one of our neighbors put it back then: the English never riot in winter.” 0 likes
“He’d looked so hurt. “I’m not like those other men, you know?” “Then you won’t mind if I say no,” I said.” 0 likes