Start by marking “In The End: Their Fight for Survival is Only the Beginning” as Want to Read:
In The End: Their Fight for Survival is Only the Beginning

In The End: Their Fight for Survival is Only the Beginning

(In the End #1)

When humanity faces an undead nightmare, one man’s party turns into a race to survive.

Logan has always taken things a little too seriously. So when his New Year's Eve attempt to unwind descends into chaos, he's the first to realize it's no joke. After Logan and his friends miss the evacuation transport, he's given a choice: lead the group to safety or watch all of his frie
Published November 30th 2018 (first published November 23rd 2018)

To ask other readers questions about In The End, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about In The End

Start your review of In The End: Their Fight for Survival is Only the Beginning
LeeAnn
Feb 15, 2020 rated it liked it
Action-packed, which I enjoyed. A large cast of characters, of whom the reader gets 3 different POV. An average, everyday guy is our hero - which is a nice change.

There are more than a few issues though. This really requires an editor for grammar, misuse of words, and cohesion. I could tell the author went back to rework parts of the story, and this left a little confusion as some scenes just don't flow properly.

The author could also use a dictionary and thesaurus, in particular, in use of the
TP
Jul 10, 2020 rated it really liked it
The beginning wasn’t smooth for me. With the given writing style I had a problem to get into the story. The sentences are choppy, and not really rolling into another.
In time i got the hang of it but it is not easy going. The writing needs improvement.

I liked the characters, the plot and the development.

But that’s it?
For me the story wasn’t finished at all.
The second book is about different characters that reveal the machinations behind it but sadly not what happens to Logan and his friends or t
Suzanne Rogerson
Jun 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: thriller, zombie
This is the first zombie book I've read and I'm so glad I took a chance on a different genre.
I loved the fast pace and short chapters which kept me turning the pages. For the poor characters thrust into this nightmarish situation there is no let up. Even when you think they're safe to lie down and rest, just for a moment, another shocking twist is waiting around the corner.
Be warned, it ends with a cliff hanger and I can't wait to see what happens next!
Susan
Apr 30, 2019 rated it it was amazing
In The End

Great book, great dark humor and great characters. Looking forward to reading more of this author's stories. Was a little confusing in places, but I am expecting it to all blend in the following sequels.
Raymond Clause
Oct 03, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Great story. It took a little while to get the lay of the land. It got really good towards the end. The narration was good but I speed it up to get it going faster. I’m looking forward to listening to the next book.
Teresa
Nov 07, 2020 rated it liked it
Needs an editor badly.
Dialogue is confusing as you often don’t know who is speaking, except for the main characters or their lovers, little character development so you don’t really have any investment in what happens to them.
A very typical zombie book.
Angie Anderson
Jan 09, 2021 rated it it was amazing
Another good book in the series!

I half expected an Amazon recommendation to barely squeak by in the zompoc as passable, boy am I glad I was wrong. This series exceeded my expectations. I am very pleased with this work.
Shelby Lytle
Jan 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Exciting book

I could not put this book down. I really hope there is a sequel. I want to find out happens.
BookzBookzBookz
May 20, 2019 rated it liked it
Review to come.
N.W.Wisniewski
This is good story. I like how the characters interacted. The author did a great job. The narrator was decent. I didn't get much diversity in the voices. ...more
Laura Laakso
Dec 04, 2018 rated it really liked it
I received an ARC of this book in return for an honest review, but my opinions are my own.

In The End is a dystopian thriller set in southwest England and follows a group of friends after the power goes out on New Year's Eve and the world as they knew it no longer seems to exist. Logan, the narrator, does his best to keep his friends alive in a world where nothing is as it seems and the odds are stacked against them.

There was an awful lot to like about this book. The plot moves like a steamrolle
Linda
Dec 09, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Great Zombie Adventure

If you like books in the zombie genre, then give this author a try. The zombie apocalypse happened fast. It caught main character, Logan, unprepared and stuck behind in the zombie zone. Enjoyed the two types of zombies, fights to survive, evil government officials, soldiers caught in the middle, and hope for a cure. Characters were well written and each important character had a chapter written in first person. This helped the tr reader get to know them quickly and become i
J.J.Y. Sharpe
Jul 27, 2020 rated it really liked it
Plenty to like

Although the zombie apocalypse concept is fairly familiar, this is an engaging and enjoyable read. The characters are believable and well described, although, as it says on the tin, the focus is on action and gore. Some rough edges in certain scenes, but compared pretty well to traditionally published work of the same genre. Do read if you're a fast-paced action & gore fan. First person narrative, to give warning, but this is used pretty well.
Brookie
Mar 26, 2019 rated it really liked it
This was a solid zombie apocalypse story. I only gave it four stars because it took me a long while to connect with the characters.
Joni Martins
Dec 05, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Book Review

Basic Details:
Book Title: In The End: Their fight for survival is only the beginning
Subtitle: (In the End #1)
Author: G.J. Stevens
Genre: Horror/Zombies
Part of a series? Yes
Order in series: 1
Best read after earlier books in series? N/A
Available: https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/4...

Overall score:
I scored this book 5/5
⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️
Short Summary of the book:
A group of friends plans to spend New Year’s Eve together to unwind. But when they miss an emergency evacuation transport, their
Aimee Ann
Dec 19, 2018 rated it it was amazing
In The End is quite simply one of the most exciting, incredible, dystopian books I have ever read. In The End, has astounded me, I enjoyed every single moment of the book because it was by far a perfect read. The wonderful author of the novel, GJ Stevens, is a true literary talent because he managed to captivate and enthrall from the very beginning. To be honest, a part of me was always going to love this book because I love dystopian novels but even if I did not, I would still love this book be ...more
Amanda Felix
May 18, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Surprisingly good

Recommended by a friend, I was not disappointed in this new series. Many ZomPoc books have military heros/heroines or in some line of responder career, the main character Logan is neither. He and several friends are out celebrating the ending of one year and beginning of a new one. Little did he or any of them realize this new year was nothing they could celebrate as they are caught unaware and far from home when a Virus begins to rage out of control and help is from te governme
Bekah B
Sep 15, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I was very lucky to receive a copy of In The End from the author.
This is the first book of a series and is available to buy now from Amazon. The second book is available for pre order and is due to be released on 8th Nov.
📚📚
I read a lot of zombie fiction and what I loved about this book is that the main characters were just your average people. A lot of books in this genre have a main character who is either military, ex-military, a survivalist, or they meet up with someone who is one of the abo
Scarlet
Nov 02, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I received this book via a promo code and this is my honest voluntary review. Narration: Jim Harbourne has done an excellent job of making the narration seem like a bleak campfire recollection of an individual retelling their apocalypse survival story. His voice is fantastic for this genre. Despite his melodic molasses tones, the chapters were still fast-paced. Some say the Zombie genre is over-saturated.. I say there are plenty of brains out there for everyone and mine thoroughly enjoyed this b ...more
Stacey crawford
Nov 18, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Really enjoyed this book, a first in a series (and you should definitely read book two). The pace is good, the chapters are short and leave you ready to read more, and the characters are interesting. I particularly like the way several characters take the lead perspective in different chapters; not switching every time, but only as needed. This story has all the zombie things I'm looking for when I read zompoc, of which I read a lot, but it's different enough that I was really looking forward to ...more
Sharon Hughes
Dec 01, 2020 rated it liked it
The addition of the dog is new.

This is another zombie book that manages to be slightly different by the addition of a good dog. I will admit that I didn't want it to end when it did. It does leave you wanting to get into the next book, but it still ends up being another zombie story. I read all I come across, and I realize it has to be difficult to come up with a really new plot. If not for the super foul language I wouldn't mind recommending it to those that enjoy this genre.
Jen Smith
Dec 18, 2020 rated it liked it
Disjointed

I wanted to like this book. The setting was good (in the UK as opposed to the US like most apocalyptic fiction) but the narrative was very weak. I couldn’t work out what had happened to some people and others were never named e.g. ‘old woman’ making for very one dimensional characterisation. The reviews made the book appear much better than it was and I am usually a very generous reviewer!
Shanna Tidwell
Jun 16, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Awesome action packed slow normal and hybrid type zombies. No a second of dullness or boredom. Entire book takes place in just a few days. Absolutely loved it. Hope we get more of jacks story in the continuing installments. Narration by Jim Harbourne was excellent.

I was given this free review copy audiobook at my request and have voluntarily left this review
Bookish Barbi
Jul 15, 2020 rated it really liked it
The story is a bit slow, but that's because I am used to super fast action packed Zombie series. That does not mean the story is bad. It's pretty good and some times slow and steady wins the race. You care enough about the characters to want to know what's going to happen next. I look forward to reading the next book because this book left us with a big unanswered question. ...more
R.S.
Sep 15, 2020 rated it really liked it
I enjoyed this book. Its about a guy named Logan who is leading a group of survivors after an outbreak. Stevens does a really good job at shifting points of view between a few of the characters until they line up with one another. There are times when I found myself a little lost at what was gong on, but it may have been more me, and not a fault of the author.
Corinne Marshall
Sep 25, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Absolutely loved the story . I thought Logan and the rest of his friends and those he met were very believable. Ordinary people struggling to comprehend what's happened and their struggles to survive. Very good description of the zombies. I could almost smell them for real. Will definitely be reading the next book.
C M Evans
Mar 04, 2021 rated it liked it
A great story but fluffy writing

The storyline was great. A new look at a zombie apocalyptic story. I really really enjoyed the storyline and the characters. The only thing I found about this book was that the author was trying very hard to be very descriptive and that sometimes put you off what was going on in the plot.
TalicaTana Sears
May 03, 2021 rated it it was amazing
Everyday day type people trying to survive!

I give this book a high rating because I love the characters and their journey through a apocalypse. No high tech or ground in military minded hero's.
I did have to keep reminding myself that there are a majority more people in this world who would/will have even a harder time making it...
Rich
May 14, 2021 rated it it was amazing
Wow!

It took me a bit to get used to GJ's writing style and once I did I was hooked! The use of first person from several different characters wove a story that left you guessing how long we would follow this character before their voice was silenced for good. This book is an absolute must! On to book 2!
Kat
Sep 29, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Nice

Awesome, fast paced with well written characters. Characters you almost feel like you know. Yes there are zombies but not all are the run of the mill Romero zombies but yet they aren't the talking kind some authors like to write about!

• After the End (In the End #3)
  • Batten Down the Hatches (Crawlerz, #2)
  • This Rotten World: Let It Burn
  • Red Sky in the Morning (Crawlerz, #1)
  • This Rotten World
  • The Hill (The Spread #1)
  • The Village (The Spread #2)
  • The Good, The Bad, And The Undead (The Wild Wild Midwest #1)
  • Nurse Alissa vs. the Zombies (Nurse Alissa vs. the Zombies #1)
  • Zombies on The Block (Zombies On The Block #1)
  • Primordial Earth #1 (The Extinction Series)
  • A Small World (Zombies! #1)
  • Road of the Damned (Life of the Dead Book 2)
  • This Rotten World: No More Heroes
  • The Farm Book 2 : Behind The Curve (Behind The Curve - The Farm)
  • The Greater Good: A Post-Apocalyptic Zombie Survival Series (Safe Zone Book 1)
  • Capital Falling: As Black Smoke Rises, Order Disintegrates... The Apocalypse Erupts in London
  • The End of Everything: Book 9
To stay up to date with all the very latest news, and to get two FREE books, head to gjstevens.com

GJ Stevens started writing fiction at the age of thirty. His fast-paced thrillers are the culmination of many years of finding time from nowhere to learn the craft.

His fiction is often referred to as a refreshing break from the norm, whether it’s his apocalyptic creations, spy-thrillers or his twist o

In the End (3 books)
  • Before The End: The Truth Must Be Told Whatever The Cost (In The End Book 2)
  • After the End (In the End #3)