Start by marking “Growing Winter Food: How to grow, harvest, store, and use produce for the winter months” as Want to Read:

Grow Healthy Winter Produce

Grow your own keeper crops for the chilly days of winter—and you'll be sure of putting the freshest, tastiest produce, packed with goodness, on your kitchen table! Growing Winter Food is the essential gardening guide for those who want to enjoy their garden's output all year round. This easy-to-follow book shows you how to grow your own fruit and
Kindle Edition
Published March 12th 2019 by CompanionHouse Books

To ask other readers questions about Growing Winter Food, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Growing Winter Food

Start your review of Growing Winter Food: How to grow, harvest, store, and use produce for the winter months
Cam
Mar 28, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Thank you Net Galley and the publisher for the book to review.

I have grown tomatoes, beans, and herbs. Which had me curious about this book. I like how the book tells you about storage after planting. What problems you might have with each plant such as : “white butterfly’s seek out kale to lay their eggs. So check your leaves carefully if you notice butterflies hanging around.” This book also gives you recipe ideas for each item you might consider growing. I learned some things I didn’t know.
Janet

Grow Healthy Winter Produce Grow your own keeper crops for the chilly days of winter—and you'll be sure of putting the freshest, tastiest produce, packed with goodness, on your kitchen table! Growing Winter Food is the essential gardening guide for t
Beth
Feb 12, 2019 rated it liked it
The title is a little deceptive on this one - this is really a general gardening book, with a bit of basic info included on storing crops and on certain crops that can grow during the winter months (though many not in actual snowy winter). It was useful, but I was hoping for much more here (for example, details on root cellaring).
Alicia Bayer
Feb 10, 2019 rated it it was ok
I must admit that I misunderstood the title of this book when I requested it, as I thought it was about how to grow food in the winter. I was really excited about that as I'm an experienced gardener but I would love a book about how to extend the growing season past early fall here in Minnesota. This book is not that.

Instead, this is a book about gardening and then gives basic advice about how to store your food for winter. I was still happy about that, as we put up a great deal of the food we
Samantha
Apr 01, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: netgalley, gardening
A fantastic gardening book for anyone wanting to grow their own fruit and veg. I've tried over the years to grow a variety of things, with my most successful being strawberries, so wanted to expand my knowledge and growing of plants in my garden. This book is a great place for any fledgling gardener to start.

This book is full of colour photography of the fully grown plants, seeds, tools, and recipes along with excellent descriptions and tips on what to do, when to plant and pick plus storage. At
Jessica
May 28, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: gardening
Every year I say that I'm going to try a fall/winter garden or grow more root vegetables to use over the winter months and every year I run out of time. This book is a great overview of growing, harvesting, and storing winter vegetables. The first section goes over some gardening tips and gives a few charts on what vegetables are good for what seasons. Then the rest of the book is different foods and with each one the author talks about how to plant (whether direct seed or seedlings), how to car ...more
Leyla Johnson
Feb 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing
A very detailed book which concentrates on winter crops, which I find really refreshing as most book on vegetable growing covers all vegetables and one can get a little overwhelmed.
This book starts off with some basic garden information, and then this is followed with chapters on Root Vegetables, Legumes, Green Vegetables, Herbs and Fruit. Each chapter lists a small number of produce, describes care, harvesting and storing and it is organic in its approach. There are lovely color photos and reci
Just_me
As a beginner allotmenteer I love books like these. Full of information that will help me through the year growing as much produce as I can while giving me tips on how to do this cheaply, sustainably and as environmentally friendly as possible.

While this book wasnt as indepth as some of the others I have looked at I really enjoyed looking at it and shall be keeping it on my phone as a quick and easy reference. I don't need the recipe ideas as I am always in the kitchen whipping something home co
Jeanette
Jan 12, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Year's ago, i used to have an allotment and enjoyed growing lots of fresh fruit and vegetables. These days it's just my daughter who is the avid fruit and veg grower. There is a lot of useful information in this book, especially if you have just started a fruit/veg garden or are planning on doing so. This book would be a boon! Even if you are an experienced fruit/veg grower, i still think this book would be useful to have on one's bookshelf. Recommended.

My thanks to Netgalley and the Publishers
T Olsen
Jan 12, 2019 rated it it was amazing
The most difficult part of self-sustained gardening is of course winter. This book is very good on general tips for gardening, with extra info on how to cope with all seasons. It also helps with the right selection of produce, and recipes are included for efficient (and tasty) use of resources. The layout is really beautiful with great pictures.
I got the book via Netgalley, and this is my honest review.
L1ll14n
Apr 14, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: z2019
A beautiful book for those interested in growing fruit and veg throughout the winter months. Great advice on what to grow, when to plant and how to store and use what you harvest. Plenty of instruction and information that is great for beginner gardeners as well.
I received an advance reading copy provided by NetGalley and the publisher for an honest review.
Felicia
Mar 26, 2019 rated it really liked it
Received an advanced copy from NetGalley. Good book for beginner gardeners. Lots of good advice.
Abigail
Oct 21, 2019 rated it really liked it
I had been hoping to read this book sooner and actually be able to put in a winter garden, but alas school started and I became far too busy and tired.  Still I was grateful for the chance to read it.

Growing Winter Food is full of helpful hints, nutritional guides, common pest problems and even recipes. I honestly wasn't expecting that much out of the book, so it was a pleasant surprise to see the author go above and beyond.  Next year I will really be prepared to garden all year round.

In the
Laurie Garrison
Feb 17, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: gardening
Although some may see this title as a bit misleading if you keep reading you find this book is based on how to grow food and the best methods of storing for winter for your eating enjoyment.

This a book is not only a great reference garden books with lots of helpful tips, but you’ll also find recipes, storing, nutrients, care and maintenance, harvesting and transplanting for each individual vegetable. I really liked the nutrients, care and maintenance sections, they were all explained very well.
Shelley Quezada
With the opportunity to enjoy an extended growing season, especially for those in colder winter climates, this beautiful book is a welcome blueprint to harvest crops well into the end of the year and beyond. From root crops to green vegetables which actually taste better after a recent frost, there are an array of useful tips on seasonal sowing, harvesting and composting. The author also includes suggestions for cooking many of these vegetables and for incorporating them into your diet in unusua ...more
Pia Vidal
Cassandra Clyde
Jan 26, 2020
Quirkyreader
Sep 23, 2020

• The Acid Watcher Cookbook: 100+ Delicious Recipes to Prevent and Heal Acid Reflux Disease
  • The Country Bunny and the Little Gold Shoes
  • How Shoes are Made: A behind the scenes look at a real sneaker factory
  • The Bone People
  • The McDougall Plan
  • Dying of Whiteness: How the Politics of Racial Resentment Is Killing America's Heartland
  • Native American History for Dummies
  • Beekeeping for Dummies
  • White Trash: The 400-Year Untold History of Class in America
  • Radical Acceptance: Embracing Your Life With the Heart of a Buddha
  • Astrology For Dummies
  • Salt, Fat, Acid, Heat: Mastering the Elements of Good Cooking
  • One Year After (After, #2)
  • Void Moon (Cassie Black, #1; Harry Bosch Universe, #12)
  • You Can Stay Home with Your Kids!: 100 Tips, Tricks, and Ways to Make It Work on a Budget
  • Prepper's Home Defense: Security Strategies to Protect Your Family by Any Means Necessary
  • Jack & Jill (Alex Cross, #3)
  • The Big Bad Wolf  (Alex Cross, #9)

News & Interviews