Start by marking “Beach Blanket Homicide (Whispering Bay Mystery, #1)” as Want to Read:
Beach Blanket Homicide (Whispering Bay Mystery, #1)

Beach Blanket Homicide

(Whispering Bay Mystery #1)

A fun, quirky chick-lit mystery starring Lucy McGuffin, world's best muffin maker and amateur sleuth.

Everyone agrees that Lucy McGuffin bakes the muffins in Whispering Bay, but she's got another talent, one that she's tried her whole life to hide. Lucy can always tell when a person is lying or telling the truth. Being a human lie detector isn't all it's cracked up to be. E
Published December 7th 2018 by Chihuahua Publishing

To ask other readers questions about Beach Blanket Homicide, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Beach Blanket Homicide

Isha Coleman
Nov 21, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: first-reads
Geraci is back with the same wry wit and host of captivating characters. This time around she throws in a hint of mystery to balance out the humor. Beach Blanket Homicide is a smorgasbord of what makes reading great. Lucy and her crew are a masterful blend of laughter, romance and suspense that has no problem captivating the mind and heart.
Hilary (A Wytch's Book Review)
How on earth did I miss this when it first came out! I sat down and read this in one sitting giggling quietly to myself, and then promptly ordered book 2!

Lucy McGuffin has a couple of secrets, first off she really, REALLY loves her brother's best friend Will, and the other is that Will is the only person she can't tell if they lie, because secret number two is that she can always tell if people are telling the truth or not (which can be a little disconcerting at times and has led to problems in
Bobbie
Dec 06, 2018 rated it really liked it
Another cute Rom com from Maria Geraci in her fictional small beach town in Florida. I have enjoyed several of the previous books and this one was a fun read also. If you have read any of the other books, you will recognize many of the secondary characters, but this truly is a standalone, although there is not an HEA per say. That did not bother me as I know another book is coming, hopefully soon. I also did not feel as if this were a cliffhanger as the mystery of this book gets solved. A seance ...more
JoAnne
Dec 03, 2018 rated it really liked it
Beach Blanket Homicide is the first book in the Whispering Bay Mystery series and it is a connected story to the Whispering Bay romances. It's a nice cozy mystery. It was nice being reunited with characters we've met before as well as the town of Whispering Bay. The addition of new characters helped round out the story.

Thanks to the Sunshine Ghost Society there are ghosts or are there? There's definitely the demise of several characters but are their deaths by natural causes or due to foul play?
Diana Aragon
Dec 04, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Beach Blanket Homicide is the first installment of a new cozy mystery series centered in the Whispering Bay community that author Maria Gerarci has created. It is such a perfect mix of mystery, comedy, drama and pop culture trivia/references that will make you, the reader, unable to stop reading, laughing and longing for the next chapter.

Lucille (Lucy) McGuffin is a baker’s goddess, her muffins made her famous with all Whispering Bay and with some luck will land her a spot in the Cooking Channel
Alice Boni
Dec 06, 2018 rated it really liked it
This was an a fun book and I really enjoyed reading it. Lucy McGuffin is a baker and the owner of The Bistro By The Beach, in the small town of whispering bay, fl. She is famous for her outstanding mufins.- --and has another talent that she doesn't talk about, She is a human lie dector, can always tell if someone is lying. This is a talent she is going to need very soon., She is chosen to to bake muffins for thr Grand opening of a new community center. She finds the dog paco that Abbey had at th ...more
Paula
Dec 10, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Beach Blanket Homicide is the first of a brand new series, Whispering Bay Mysteries by Maria Geraci. The community center has been built, now it is time for the grand opening. Lucy McGuffin get the catering contract, finding the dead body of a prominent city member along the way. I have read other books by Ms. Geraci that were romances with a bit of mystery in them. Beach Blanket Homicide gas a mystery with just a hint of romance.
What it has in abundance is a loyal sister, great baker, and smar
Susan Hamann
Feb 25, 2019 rated it really liked it
Lucy McGuffin is a co-owner of a Bistro and she makes the best muffins in the world. She also has a talent for knowing when someone is lying to her. A frequent customer turns up with a dog in her purse and Lucy knows she’s lying about where he comes from. Then Lucy stumbles upon the body of that customer.
Lucy isn’t content to let the police solve the murder. She gets herself involved in the investigation and in the process, she meets all sorts of people, many of whom are lying to her. She can’t
Terri Eaches
Dec 09, 2018 rated it it was amazing
A Fun Twist on a Murder Mystery

Welcome back to Whispering Bay where the senior group, Gray Flamingos, are fit, spry and ornery. You also have the Sunshine Ghost Society and in the middle of it you have Bistro on the Beach with co owner Lucy McGuffin with her own special talent. Lucy is known for her awesome muffins but her talent of being a human lie detector it's something she keeps hidden. When she discovers the dead body of one of her patrons her life is turned upside down. Her brother is the
Ann
Feb 27, 2019 rated it really liked it
Lucy run a bake shop The Bristo and she made the best muffins in town. She also had this knack for being able to tell if people were lying and also sorts of abilities of the minds. A woman named Abby always come in daily to her business and they were'nt exactly friends. She showed up dead on day. Lucy was a suspect as well as her brother who was a clergyman. They were the last to see her. In their town was a group of people who called Sunshine Ghost Society.. which Abby the lady that died was al ...more
Cheryl
Dec 07, 2018 rated it it was amazing
A muffin maker, a priest and a dead body walk into a bar...sounds like a the beginning of a funny joke, right? Well, you’re half right, it is funny, but it’s no joke...it’s the first book in a new series by Maria Geraci.
While a fan of romantic suspense, I thought I knew what I was in for with this book, but I was wrong. This laugh out loud book is more chick lit than romance but a definite page turner with both its mystery and humor.
Lucy McGuffin (the name alone kills me) is a fresh, unique cha
Krystyna
Dec 07, 2018 rated it really liked it
If only he could talk

A good plot with lively, if zany, characters. There are some great red herrings that take you completely the wrong way to catch the killer. However I did expect this to be funny but for me it wasn't.
A dog is the first strange thing that really gets her attention. As the 'owner' really seemed to care for it although some parts of the story was untrue. She knew that as surely as she knew her name as she had the special talent of being a human lie detector. However when the '
Yvonne Cruz
Nov 24, 2018 rated it really liked it

This is a cute mystery and the beginning of the author’s new series, Whispering Bay Mystery. For those long time fans of Ms. Geraci, it’s a return to Whispering Bay and a visit with some of the residents you have met before.
The series stars Lucy McGuffin a funny, sweet, bistro owner whose “gift” is being able to tell when someone is saying a lie.
She and her partner , Sarah, are hired to cater the opening of the new community center . Little did she know she would discover a body in the center. H
Pamela Devereux
Dec 07, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I love coming back to Whispering Bay. Lucy McGuffin makes the best muffins around and ever since she can remember, she is a human lie detector. Everyone tells lies but to what degree. How does she stay sane in this world? She doesn't tell anyone. So when Abby Delgado turns up dead, all her senses are on alert. She knows people are lying and the hunt is on. She has to find out who killed her. There is a new deputy in town. Travis Fontaine has decided he had enough of Dallas PD and decided to move ...more
Elaine
Nov 24, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I have loved reading Maria's previous Whispering Pines novels, but this new cozy mystery series is the best yet. She has always had hilarious stories full of quirky characters and sassy dialog, but the murder mystery, ghosts, special powers and one adorable dog make this book such a pleasure to read. Lucy can't help herself when someone she knows dies and she discovers the body. She is seriously frustrating the new police officer in town but, hey, she can tell if someone is lying and needs to us ...more
Mona
Dec 05, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Absolutely loved this book. Book 1 in the Whispering Bay Mystery-
Funny, Sweet, and much more.
Lucy McGuffin has the best muffins in Whispering Bay. But that’s not all-
no one knows she can tell when someone is lying. She keeps that to herself. She needs to know what happend to Abby. She takes in her dog Paco until she can find out who he belongs to. When she finds out she won’t give him over. She has allergies but she’ll deal.

A hot shot deputy Travis Fontaine comes to town from Dallas there’s a
Elizabeth
Dec 01, 2018 rated it it was amazing
LOVED, LOVED, LOVED IT!!

First read in a brand new series! A series that I am absolutely addicted to already.

Maria Geraci gives this book SO much personality!!! I had SO much fun reading this book. These quirky, fun, witty characters have jumped off the pages and filled my reading time with so much joy. I love them so much.

Beach Blanket Homicide is the very definition of cozy mystery! Characters in a town you want to call home and a mystery that keeps you turning pages until the very end!

I ha
Evelyn Grabas
Feb 24, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Cute read. Loved the characters, particularly Paco. Look forward to reading more in this series.
One thing though, a Catholic priest cannot divulge that which he is told in the confessional, as it is considered privileged (similar to that of a lawyer and client), but any conversation or discussion he has with anyone, parishioner or not, outside of the confessional is not so covered and can be repeated by him without fear of breaking his vows. So, if it came down to it and Father McGuffin refused
Cathy
Feb 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Lucy McGuffin was one of my favorite minor characters in Maria Geraci's Whispering Bay series, and I was thrilled when Maria gave her a series of her own. She is sweet, and quirky and hyper-conscious of her own short-comings. Her self deprecating humor is a joy to read. I especially loved watching her long seated crush be knocked off kilter by one seriously hot, insufferable new cop. Lucy's bumbling manner of solving mysteries had me laughing out loud. I can't wait for Whispering Bay Mystery #2. ...more
Patricia H. Phelps
Mar 18, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Florida Panhandle Beach Town Culinary Sleuth

Lucy and her friend/partner own a history. Lucy makes the best muffins in town. There is a death that Lucy finds suspicious, but the new policeman in town does not. The dead woman had a dog that Lucy is going to foster until she finds the right person, but she finds out the owner just died so she takes it back to the family only to find the sister hates the dog and the feeling is mutual. So she keeps him. With many twists and turns and plenty of suspec
Bette Hansen
Dec 06, 2018 rated it it was amazing
In this laugh out loud hilarious cozy mystery the author, Maria Geraci, really showcases her storytelling ability by giving us a story filled with twists, mystery, humor, and some of the quirkiest characters around.

When Lucy McGuffin has the misfortune to stumble upon a dead body she finds herself right in the middle of the investigation. She has a priest brother to protect, a new town deputy to deal with, as well as a new furry friend Paco. With all this she definitely has her hands full.

You'
Judy
Feb 28, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This was my first book by Maria Geraci, but it won’t be my last. I loved the characters and the story line. Some of their antics could have been done by my neighbors and friends. What if you had Lucy’s special talent? Would it be a blessing or a curse? There is always that new person who you just don’t quite know how to deal with. They surely couldn’t be upset with you, could they? Who wouldn’t want a companion like Paco? Hope you’ll enjoy the story of Lucy, Will, Father Sebastian, and Travis as ...more
Pennie Morgan
Dec 08, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Fun and quirky and zany with lots of twists and turns to keep you guessing right to the end. Lucy McGuffin is known in town for her muffins but when she comes upon a dead body she will get to know the new sheriff and become embroiled in trying to solve the mystery. This was a lot of fun with zany characters and a ghost-whispering dog. Great start to this new series!

**Received this ARC for review**
Janie Evans
Dec 07, 2018 rated it it was amazing
"Beach Blanket Homicide (Whispering Bay Mystery, #1)" by Maria Geraci brings us into her first book in this series. Murder, mystery, and muffin maker Lucy being caught up in the drama. Travis Fontaine is the new cop out to prove that he can solve this homicide. It was an enjoyable, quick read. Don't give up on this book as we learn a little about the characters in the story. It was a good read.
Jamie
Nov 24, 2018 rated it really liked it
Lucy is the towns famous muffin maker, self proclaimed private investigator and lie detector. She is trying to figure out what happened to Abby Delgado in hopes of clearing her brothers good name. Will she solve the mystery?

This book started off a little slow, however, once I acquainted myself with the characters I COULD NOT PUT IT DOWN! I simply needed to know who killed Abby, and I am completely shocked! I can not wait for the next book in the Whispering Bay Mystery Series!
Debra
Dec 27, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I really enjoyed BEACH BLANKET HOMICIDE! It was a fun read, with plenty of action along with bits of mystery, romance and a fabulous dog named Cornelius/Paco. I was intrigued from the first page, got swept up into the investigation of Abby’s death and loved the characters. I liked that the story wasn’t given away, I didn’t figure who done it until the end. Looking forward to more Lucy and Paco sleuthing adventures. I highly recommend!
Lori R
Dec 07, 2018 rated it really liked it
This mystery has it all. Lucy, who is a human version of a lie detector machine, a priest, a stolen dog, and a dead body. You will have fun trying to figure it out and put all the pieces together. What a story to keep you on your toes and it is set in my favorite Whispering Bay. I received an advance copy of this book and I willingly chose to write an honest review.
Tammy
Dec 10, 2018 rated it really liked it
What a cute, fun book! This is a great new series in a town I already love, filled with wonderful characters I already know. Paco is a great addition. I'm looking forward to more mystery and adventure with this crew. I received this book in exchange for an honest review.
Rhonda Ziglar
Dec 07, 2018 rated it it was amazing
5 FUN MYSTERY STARS!! Wow, this story was fun with mystery and fantastic characters. I enjoyed everything about this story, it was different from my normal reads, but definitely held my attention. I can't wait to read more. Maria Geraci knows how to keep us readers engaged.
Lisa R
Dec 01, 2018 rated it really liked it
Lucy owns a bakery and is known for her muffins. They are getting ready to open the new rec center when she finds a dead body and things just get weirder from there. There is the ghost society people and perhaps a gifted dog.
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
Maria Geraci writes quirky, fun, romantic women's fiction and is a two time RITA® Finalist, Romance Writers of America's highest award of distinction in the romance publishing industry. Her books feature strong women, dreamy heroes, lots of laughs and a little bit of heat. She lives in central Florida and is always on the lookout for the perfect key lime pie recipe (but not the kind they served on ...more

Whispering Bay Mystery (2 books)
  • Whack The Mole (Whispering Bay Mystery, #2)