Start by marking “Hollow Kingdom” as Want to Read:

Hollow Kingdom

One pet crow fights to save humanity from an apocalypse in this uniquely hilarious debut from a genre-bending literary author.

S.T., a domesticated crow, is a bird of simple pleasures: hanging out with his owner Big Jim, trading insults with Seattle's wild crows (those idiots), and enjoying the finest food humankind has to offer: Cheetos .

Then Big Jim's eyeball falls out of
Published August 6th 2019 by Grand Central Publishing

To ask other readers questions about Hollow Kingdom, please sign up.
sgould8 Yes, animals and people are getting killed. However, I'm pretty sensitive to books that have animals being tortured or hurt by people, and this book…moreYes, animals and people are getting killed. However, I'm pretty sensitive to books that have animals being tortured or hurt by people, and this book somehow didn't bother me in that way. There are no regular people hurting animals.(less)
Stuart Hollow Kingdom would be a fantastic addition to your high school library. It’s an incredibly fun, well-written, and engaging novel about overcoming…moreHollow Kingdom would be a fantastic addition to your high school library. It’s an incredibly fun, well-written, and engaging novel about overcoming adversity, courage in the face of overwhelming odds, standing up for those weaker than you, and the power of friendship and found family.

Yes, it is sweary, but please don’t let that deter you; the language and imagery in this book aren’t anything teenagers haven’t already heard or read about online. And hey, think about it this way: the novel’s language might mean a lower barrier of entry for student who are non-readers. This book’s messages are absolutely worth the delivery, so I hope you can trust your students to parse the language and messages in this incredibly fun and vibrant novel.(less)

Start your review of Hollow Kingdom
Char
HOLLOW KINGDOM is simply sublime!

S.T. is a domesticated crow living with his mofo, Big Jim. (S.T. calls all humans mofos, because that's what Jim calls them.) He spends his days learning tricks, caching objects and avoiding Dennis, Big Jim's bloodhound. Then, Jim's eyeball falls out. What happens next? You'll have to read this to find out!

I read the reviews of a few of my friends and decided to give this one a go. I'm so glad I did. There is really no way to describe this book, or to even shelve
Jennifer ~ TarHeelReader
Sep 28, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Looking for something out of the ordinary?

I am pretty certain I’ve not read another book remotely like this one. A personality-filled crow who is attempting to save the world from the apocalypse, along with his trusty steed, Dennis, the dog. I LOVED these memorable characters. I adored the Seattle setting. The creativity and originality are absolutely astounding, not to mention, it’s a smooth read from start to finish. Reading it was a delightful experience. I highly recommend it.

I
Tucker

Many thanks to Grand Central Publishing for sending me a copy in exchange for an honest review

Everything talks. You just have to be willing to listen

After much deliberation, my final rating is 2.5 stars. This book wasn’t bad. Not at all. There was just quite a lot that fell short for me. Emphasis on me. I’m sure this book will work for a lot of people. It just did not work for me. Here’s why:

The science fiction flunked - I was really looking forward to a good apocalypse. Unfortunately,
OutlawPoet
Feb 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing
When I was first offered the opportunity to read Hollow Kingdom, I hesitated. Books from the point of view of an animal just aren’t my thing. But, the book sounded interesting and I kept thinking about it. I finally ended up giving the book a try.

I am so glad I did.

I loved this book so much. It has everything! Characters I loved, heroism, heartbreak (such heartbreak!), epic battles, romance, and even hope. From the moment I met our foul-mouthed crow (and he really is foul-mouthed), I was in.

The
Hannah Greendale
Jul 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Really hoping to see this genre bending debut nominated for all the prizes.

Buxton catapults readers through the apocolpyse in a horrific yet hilarious tale narrated by an unapologically crass crow. Anyone would be hard-pressed to list a comperable title for this book. An off-the-wall gem.
Melki
Everything talks, you just have to be willing to listen.

This one was a real roller coaster ride through a tunnel of love & hate.

I LOVED the beginning. We meet a domesticated crow named Shit Turd (S.T. for short), who loves hanging out with his owner, Big Jim, and Dennis, a dumb, but lovable bloodhound. When Jim becomes a mindless zombie, the two critters decide to strike out on their own rather than risk being consumed by their formerly human pal. They begin a quest to find and release
Rebecca
(I managed the first 36 pages on this attempt.) Do you have a friend who’s intimidatingly sharp, whose every spoken or written line leaps from wordplay to a joke to an allusion to a pun? That’s how I felt about Hollow Kingdom. It’s so clever it’s exhausting. There’s hardly a sentence without a metaphor or a quip that will give you a chance to catch your breath. I wanted to read this because I’d heard it was narrated by a crow. S.T. (Shit Turd) is an American Crow who lives with Big Jim, an ...more
Carrie
Sep 05, 2019 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: netgalley
Hollow Kingdom by Kira Jane Buxton is a science fiction, post apocalyptic fantasy that has a new twist with the surviving characters. Instead of the story being told from the point of view of the last remaining humans in the world we get a narrative from S.T., a domesticated crow.

S.T.’s owner, Big Jim, had gotten really sick until the point one day Big Jim’s eyeball falls right out. Well, what is one domesticated crow to do without an owner taking care of him? S.T. manages to team up with Big
Judith E
This is cleverly funny with a good message, but I couldn’t wait to be done with it. I loved the first 50 pages but it dragged from that point on. The message and the plot were repetitive with a somewhat simplistic view of nature. I often zone out when reading battle preparations and scenes and there were numerous fights and conflicts going on here.

The main character is a precocious crow that uses his human training to unite with nature and animals to save the human race. If you have a
Yodamom
Jul 04, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: owned, arc, dystopian
What a trip, this read was. It had all the drama, intense action, death, love, hope and despair you expect in a zombie apocalypse read but it wasn't from the human viewpoint. This was the world as seen by animals, domestic, wild, captured, and other. They have personalities, and voice their beliefs all while trying to figure out this new world without the old humans. There is so much going on, so many things to consider. Animals trapped in homes, cages, zoos, aquariums, domestic meeting wild, ...more
Carolyn
Aug 08, 2019 rated it really liked it
*4.5* Stars.
This is a book of towering imagination which displays the author’s deep love of nature. Humans have turned into ravenous, mindless zombies, perhaps by increasingly ignoring our natural world. The cause is rumoured to be due to a virus in their smart devices. This has led to a severance from nature. Even in their altered state, they show an attachment and obsession with the shiny screens of iPhones and tablets.

The story is narrated by a foul-mouthed crow named S.T. (Shit turd). He
Fiona
Aug 19, 2019 rated it really liked it
I don't read a lot of zombie books any more, but Hollow Kingdom made me want to change that. A debut novel with so many more strengths than weaknesses, this was a fun, sweary, and very original look at the end of the world.

We follow ST (Shit Turd), a crow raised by Big Jim, taught by him all the various great aspects of MoFo (human) life - Cheetos, and TV, and hot dog eating contests. But then one day Big Jim changes, and not long after that, life as ST knew it is over. On the road with Dennis
Carole (Carole's Random Life in Books)
This review can also be found at Carole's Random Life in Books.

I really liked this book. I am always on the lookout for something different, something original, something I haven't read one hundred times before. I have also been reading a lot of zombie books lately so I kind of think that this book was written for me. This was a different kind of zombie story and one that I won't forget any time soon. I am so glad that I took a chance and decided to give Hollow Kingdom a try.

This story is told
Trin
Jan 14, 2019 rated it liked it
Narrated by a domesticated crow named Shit Turd, a.k.a. S.T., Hollow Kingdom is a zombie apocalypse novel from the perspective of all the animals left behind in this changed world after humanity succumbs to the zombie plague. S.T. and his loyal puppy pal Dennis end up on a quest to rescue the Domestics – the other pets who are starving or helpless and often trapped inside their deceased owners’ homes. But they have to face off against predators and horrific mutated-human monsters on the way.

I
Athena (OneReadingNurse)
Thank you to Grand Central Publishing and NetGalley for the e-arc in exchange for an honest review!

Kira Jane Buxton presents Hollow Kingdom, where animals are trying to survive and thrive in the aftermath of a zombie apocalypse. The MC is a snarky and extremely foul mouthed crow named S.T. (Shit Turd), with his sidekick Dennis, a bloodhound. His MoFo best friend and owner's eyeball falls out and the story goes from there.

Honestly if you like a bizarre twist on post apocalyptic books, give it a
Amy Poeppel
Nov 20, 2018 rated it it was amazing
You are in for such a treat! It is a darkly funny, wonderful book. LOVED it!!!
samantha  (books-are-my-life20)
What a wonderful, imaginative tale. Kira Jane Burton 's Hollow Kingdom is acerbic, humorous and thought provoking read about the decimation of the human species and what caused it. The writing is beautiful. Even this is a dystopian novel it is deeply moving. I couldn’t put this down. It was so hilarious and slightly terrifying at the same time. The main character goes through quite a few trials with his plucky dog sidekick and it was perfect.
Justine
Oct 04, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Such a different and creative book! Funny, irreverent, and filled with emotional highs and lows, this one took me surprise in the best possible way. I didn't know what to expect from a crow's eye view of the fall of humanity (referred to affectionately as "MoFos" by the protagonist, S.T.) and the great change experienced by beings of the natural world left behind, but whatever it was, Hollow Kingdom fulfilled it. Part of the 5 star rating I've given stems from the pure enjoyment I got from ...more
Taylor
Aug 25, 2019 rated it liked it
"Change is inevitable, dear crow. We must adapt. You cannot stop the tide, S.T. You must be more like the log that bobs along the surface."

...

I picked up Hollow Kingdom completely on a whim. I've been on a mission to broaden my reading horizons this year, and Kira Jane Buxton's strange debut endeared me with its out-there premise.

S.T. (which stands for Shit Turd) is a domesticated crow, who lives with his owner, Big Jim, and a goofy bloodhound named Dennis in Seattle. This shit-talking crow
Tiffany
Jul 17, 2019 rated it did not like it
Shelves: kindleowned
I received an ARC of Hollow Kingdom by Kira Jane Buxton.

Unfortunately I did not like this book. Had it not been an ARC, I would've DNF'd it.

The premise is a zombie apocalypse has wiped out humanity and we see the events through the eyes of several animals, most living in Seattle. Our main protagonist is a crow named Shit Turd. While I do not mind some vulgarity, this book reads as if an immature boy wrote it. There were many fart and poop jokes, lots of profanity, and a general a juvenile sense
Lata
Oct 18, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Kira Jane Buxton gives us a very different perspective on the zombie apocalypse. Our hero, rather than some square-jawed human, is a crow called S.T. A crow who identifies as human, or "MoFo" as he calls them, and looks up to his human, Big Jim, as the knower of all things. When Big Jim loses one of his eyeballs and moves into the basement, S.T. knows something's up and it isn't good. S.T. and Dennis, the other, canine resident, are left to fend for themselves. When things take a turn for the ...more
Cathy
Oct 17, 2019 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
“ My name is Shit Turd and I am an American crow. Are you still with me? Crows aren’t well liked, you see.“

“I owe my life to you. As an honorary MoFo, I’m here to be utterly honest and tell you what happened to your kind. The thing none of us saw coming.“

Finished chapter 9, returned it to Amazon. The beginning was funny enough, but the rest was just pretty pointless rambling for me. I was missing a red thread. There seemed to be no plot to speak off. Schoolyard humour and plenty of vulgarity
Mark
Aug 12, 2019 rated it really liked it
“So, the truth- my name is Shit Turd (S.T. for short) and I'm a domesticated crow, raised by Big Jim who taught me the ways of your kind whom he called “MoFos”. He gave me my floral vocabulary and my indubitably unique name. As an honorary MoFo, I am here to be utterly honest and tell you what happened to your kind. The thing none of us saw coming...”

“Listen; life is worth a fight. Expectation must be shed like winter leaves. Even in death, there is a wondrous beauty. And death is not The End.”

Stacy
Dec 04, 2018 rated it it was amazing
In Hollow Kingdom, a tale of chaos and optimism, you know that things are bleak when our narrator/historian Shit Turd (S.T.), a humorous, graceful and insightful domesticated crow confides in the first sentence, “I should have known something was dangerously wrong long before I did.” And, thus S.T. begins to recount what happened starting with the day that Big Jim lost his eyeball. With the help of his animal colleagues, S.T. travels the city on a mission to save the world he loves. Kira Jane ...more
Lindsay
Oct 31, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy
S.T. is the pet crow of Big Jim. They live together in Seattle with Big Jim's other pet, Dennis, a huge bloodhound. One day Jim and every other MoFo starts acting strangely, drooling blood, having parts of them drop off and aggressively attacking things that come within reach. S.T. does his best to help Jim, but ends up having to look after Dennis himself and seek help from outside. Fairly soon S.T. and Dennis are struggling to help themselves and others through the zombie apocalypse as best a ...more
Jerrie (redwritinghood)
The writing in this one was often quite good, but it was sometimes hard to take it seriously. My big issues, though, were the sophomoric humor and that it went on for about 100 pages too long.
Juli
Sep 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing
What an incredibly creative and bizarre take on the zombie apocalypse! I'm not going to beat around the bush -- I love this book!

S.T. (short for shit turd) is a happy domesticated crow. The world has his human, Big Jim, all the cheetos he can eat, and a great dog named Dennis for him to annoy. His life is perfect. Until.....

Big Jim's eyeball falls out. And he starts acting strange. Then ALL the people start acting strange. Even a quick fly to CVS for things to help isn't enough to fix the
britt_brooke
Sep 04, 2019 rated it really liked it
An apocalyptic tale of poetic trees, amorous squirrels, zombies, and zoo animals narrated by a foul-mouthed, funny-ass domesticated crow. Something is happening to the Mofos (humans) so S.T. and his canine pal set out to see wtf is going on. Together with other domesticated creatures, they navigate their new existence. It’s a sharp, but oddly tender story laced with golden pop culture references. So entertaining! Great debut.
Jypsy
Oct 07, 2019 rated it really liked it
Thank you to Grand Central Publishing for an advanced copy. I voluntarily reviewed this book. All opinions expressed are my own

By: Kira Jane Buxton

*REVIEW*
Define bizarre. Hollow Kingdom is the very embodiment of the word. I debated reading this, but curiosity won. The mofos(humans-I laughed so hard) have turned zombie. S.T., a crow, is the narrator of this apocalypse, and this is his story of the animals left behind. It's the end of the world as the crow flies, and swears, a
Alice
Mar 11, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I LOVED this book!! Milo and Otis meets Station Eleven in a post-apocalyptic journey with a mouthy crow named Shit Turd (S.T. for short) and a devoted hound named Dennis. As hilarious as this book often is, there is an underlying thread reflecting on humans and the destruction we leave in our wake as seen by the animals that survive us.

Clever, funny, profane and strangely inspiring, this book is for everyone. I can't remember loving a book this much in a long time.
Hollow Kingdom 1 2 Nov 29, 2019 12:29PM

• The Ten Thousand Doors of January
  • A Cosmology of Monsters
  • The Library of the Unwritten (Hell's Library #1)
  • Magic for Liars
  • The Deep
  • The Twisted Ones
  • The Swallows
  • Will My Cat Eat My Eyeballs?: Big Questions from Tiny Mortals About Death
  • Ninth House (Alex Stern, #1)
  • Red at the Bone
  • Gideon the Ninth (The Locked Tomb, #1)
  • Tuesday Mooney Talks to Ghosts
  • The Starless Sea
Kira Jane Buxton's writing has appeared in The New York Times, NewYorker.com, McSweeney’s, The Rumpus, Huffington Post, and more. She calls the tropical utopia of Seattle home and spends her time with three cats, a dog, two crows, a charm of hummingbirds, and a husband.
“And everyone on earth knows if you have the respect of a cat it means your soul is worth being around.” 8 likes
“Big Jim’s eyeball fell out. Like, fell the fuck out of his head. It rolled onto the grass, and to be honest, Big Jim and I were both taken aback.” 6 likes