Start by marking “Hollow Kingdom” as Want to Read:

Hollow Kingdom

One pet crow fights to save humanity from an apocalypse in this uniquely hilarious debut from a genre-bending literary author.

S.T., a domesticated crow, is a bird of simple pleasures: hanging out with his owner Big Jim, trading insults with Seattle's wild crows (those idiots), and enjoying the finest food humankind has to offer: Cheetos ®.

Then Big Jim's eyeball falls out o
Expected publication: August 6th 2019 by Grand Central Publishing

To ask other readers questions about Hollow Kingdom, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Hollow Kingdom

OutlawPoet
Feb 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing
When I was first offered the opportunity to read Hollow Kingdom, I hesitated. Books from the point of view of an animal just aren’t my thing. But, the book sounded interesting and I kept thinking about it. I finally ended up giving the book a try.

I am so glad I did.

I loved this book so much. It has everything! Characters I loved, heroism, heartbreak (such heartbreak!), epic battles, romance, and even hope. From the moment I met our foul-mouthed crow (and he really is foul-mouthed), I was in.

The
Athena Elizabeth
Feb 10, 2019 rated it liked it
Thank you to Grand Central Publishing and NetGalley for the e-arc in exchange for an honest review!

Kira Jane Buxton presents Hollow Kingdom, where animals are trying to survive and thrive in the aftermath of a zombie apocalypse. The MC is a snarky and extremely foul mouthed crow named S.T. (Shit Turd), with his sidekick Dennis, a bloodhound. His MoFo best friend and owner's eyeball falls out and the story goes from there.

Honestly if you like a bizarre twist on post apocalyptic books, give it a s
Amy Poeppel
Nov 20, 2018 rated it it was amazing
You are in for such a treat! It is a darkly funny, wonderful book. LOVED it!!!
Rebecca
Narrated by a crow? Yes, I think I am going to have to read this.
Tracett
Jan 17, 2019 rated it really liked it
Charming, delightful, creepy and altogether involving post apocalyptic new mythology of Seattle environs. I loved the thoughtfully written characteristics of these animals. ST’s lifetime collection of facts as his crow’s cache of glitter and glass is especially a treat. Murky science kept this from a 5 star read, but It was still a treat to watch this story unfold. Movie please!
Trin
Jan 14, 2019 rated it liked it
Narrated by a domesticated crow named Shit Turd, a.k.a. S.T., Hollow Kingdom is a zombie apocalypse novel from the perspective of all the animals left behind in this changed world after humanity succumbs to the zombie plague. S.T. and his loyal puppy pal Dennis end up on a quest to rescue the Domestics – the other pets who are starving or helpless and often trapped inside their deceased owners’ homes. But they have to face off against predators and horrific mutated-human monsters on the way.

I lo
Stacy
Dec 04, 2018 rated it it was amazing
In Hollow Kingdom, a tale of chaos and optimism, you know that things are bleak when our narrator/historian Shit Turd (S.T.), a humorous, graceful and insightful domesticated crow confides in the first sentence, “I should have known something was dangerously wrong long before I did.” And, thus S.T. begins to recount what happened starting with the day that Big Jim lost his eyeball. With the help of his animal colleagues, S.T. travels the city on a mission to save the world he loves. Kira Jane Bu ...more
Diana
The zombie apocalypse as narrated by a wise-ass pet crow and other animals? Yes please!

I read this on a whim and thoroughly enjoyed it. I don't believe it's an accident that some of my favorite books this year had beautifully developed non-human characters.* It might be that I'm fed up with humans.

The main narrator of this book is S.T., which stands for Shit Turd, the name given to him by his human- before his human, and apparently all the other humans, started drooling, attacking, and sporting
Racheal
Totally a me-not-you DNF. The tone just didn't work for me at the moment (too..flippant I guess?), but I think it's quite well written and that a lot of other people will no doubt enjoy it.
Vicki Olafson
Nov 21, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Hollow Kingdom will take you on an emotional journey, attaching you so strongly to each character that you'll resist putting the book down until it's done. You'll laugh, you'll cry, you'll forget to eat dinner or go to bed because you have to get to the next page. Amazing and incredible novel Kira Jane Buxton!! Love this book!!!
John
Hollow Kingdom is a joyful dessert that bears the flavors of an exciting and touching adventure, with sprinkles of horror and comedy, sitting on an apocalypse plate. I love this book!
Diane Hernandez
Mar 21, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: netgalley
You know that something is wrong when your mo-fo’s (aka human’s) eye falls out of his head and he isn’t concerned. So begins the totally original post-apocalyptic tale of the Hollow Kingdom.

S.T. is a pet crow. His mo-fo, Big Jim, is sick and won’t stop poking his finger at the wall. Eventually, Big Jim gets hungry for a live dinner forcing S.T. to leave home with Dennis, his none-to-smart bloodhound brother. As S.T. and Dennis search for a cure for Big Jim’s illness, they encounter both domestic
Mar 11, 2019 rated it really liked it
This was an ARC... the book is due out in August. Clever observations on human extinction from the perspective of a domesticated crow. Funny and poignant, S.T. the crow discovers his inner strength as he works to protect Dennis, his friend the bloodhound. In the process, he manages to rally and inspire other birds and various creatures in their attempt to survive the new world order. Think "Incredible Journey" meets "The Walking Dead."
S
Nov 23, 2018 rated it it was amazing
So much apocalyptic fun!
Narrated by S.T. a keen-eyed domestic crow and humanity’s biggest cheerleader, Hollow Kingdom is a terrifyingly funny, sometimes heart wrenching tour of the impact of societal collapse from the point of view of those closest to us.
A necessary examination of what it means to be human. A joyful expansion of the human heart.
Susan
Mar 12, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Recommended to Susan by: Received an advance copy
Hollow Kingdom is an amazing novel on many levels. It’s a compelling story with a smart, sassy crow as the protagonist, humor that kept me smiling and often giggling, fascinating facts about the natural world, and subtle warnings about the earth’s environment. On top of that it’s so well written. I especially enjoyed the author’s sense of rhythm, use of sound, and overall mastery of craft.
Jen
Mar 27, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This book was absolutely nothing that I expected, which made it just about perfect. If you think there is nothing new under the post-apocalyptic sun, definitely give this one a try.
Mark Michaels
Nov 26, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This is an incredible tale from the most unlikely heroes. I absolutely would not put this book down once I was able to get my hands on it! The flair describing both the incredible and the mundane that the author paints for us is inspiring. It's a wonderful adventure on the surface with quite a lot to say about the situation we find ourselves in right now. I'm not an avid reader and this tale and author were downright irresistible. With this novel the author definitely has a lot to crow about!
Daniel Cuthbert
Apr 08, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Secret Life Of Pets meets The Road meets a touch of the Howard Stern Show in this insanely good book.

I have to say just reading the back cover of this book got me excited to read it, and I was not disappointed in the slightest afterwards! You are immediately introduced to S.T., a domesticated crow whose owners goes from sipping brewskies and having terrible tinder dates, to an unfortunate loss of certain bodyparts before meeting his end. While this might seem like a spoiler, this is actually ju
Caity
Apr 11, 2019 rated it it was amazing
From the start I knew this was exactly my kind of humor. Shit Turd is an awesome narrator giving the book a unique and kind of crazy perspective. I loved his foul mouthed, pessimistic, but still sweet perspective on everything. I knew it would be laugh out loud funny but I was not expecting how emotional and thought provoking the book would be. There is so much heart to the characters and great depth. I was particularly impressed that not only were the characters so well rounded they were still ...more
Teri Case
Mar 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Kira Jane Buxton

I requested this book for three reasons. First, the cover is gorgeous and immediately caught my attention. Secondly, it’s written from a myriad of animal’s points of views. I have a novel coming out in April from a dog’s point of view, so I couldn’t wait to finally put my writing cap aside and enjoy a good read. And in my opinion, living/seeing through the eyes of anything non-human makes for the best storytelling. And finally, I used to live in Seattle, Washington,
Corry
Apr 06, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I feel privileged to have been in a close orbit as this book was conceived, gestated and born, laughing out loud as Shit Turd and Dennis started on their outrageous adventure. I love the perspective this book gives: seeing humans in all their fallibility but through loving and compassionate eyes. I especially love the vignettes that reveal the other creatures on this fantastical journey, the whale, the cat, the hairy coo (just read it, ok!) It's hysterical and heart-breaking and hopeful and I ca ...more
Billie
Jan 08, 2019 rated it really liked it
I loved S.T. and Dennis and Buxton's unique take on the "zombie" apocalypse, but it occasionally felt a little preachy about humanity's reliance on technology, which took me out of the story. Also, the science behind the apocalypse made no sense and when the science makes no sense to a non-scientist—not because it's too complicated, but because it doesn't follow even the most basic scientific laws that one learns in junior high—then that's an issue.

But, damn, I loved S.T. and Dennis and Genghis
Apr 07, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This book is going to be released this August & it's a must read. it's a different kind of Dystopian book told by animals left behind after humans (who are called MoFos in this new world) are wiped out. Shit Terd (ST for short) is the main narrator who has great insights in to the MoFos behavior & activities. He reflects on things like the Seattle Seahawks football games and cell phones that make it seem like it's happening right outside our window today, but the MoFos are gone. So there ...more
Giustina A
Mar 12, 2019 rated it it was amazing
You need to read this or forfeit the opportunity to meet the most beguiling, irreverent and unique hero for the apocalypse of mankind. What would happen if the humans devoured each other and the natural world (championed by ST, a human-raised crow) taps into it’s own resources for restoring, healing and balancing via the networks of Aura, Web and Echo? Kira Jane Buxton’s writing is lyrical, hilarious, moving and deeply respectful of nature’s majesty. I laughed aloud, fell in love with many of th ...more
Marie Isabell
Apr 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Review :HOLLOW KINGDOM by Kira Jane Buxton.I received an early review copy from Grand Central Publishing. A mix of The Incredible Journey And Dawn of the dead where the world as we know it and humanity is ending. The narrator is a foul mouthed crow raised by a human. I laughed and cried throughout this awesome story. It is science fiction which I normally do not read but this book grabbed me and hung onto me! 🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟Five stars.
Heather Trudeau
Apr 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I love dystopian stories, and this one really stood out to me as it is told from an animals point of view. Also, I love Seattle so that drew me in as well. I fell in love with these creatures and rooted for their survival. I was not expecting the evolution of the "hollows" so that left me wondering what continued to happen in this new world. Very enjoyable!
Carol
Apr 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Profane and poetic, this story of post-apocalyptic Seattle is narrated by a crow who is both humans' #1 fan and a reluctant messiah. After learning his story, visit the woods and the water, and think of those who live there - and leave your cell phone in your pocket. I am The One Who Says Read This.
Megan (ReadingRover)
I need this book in my life more than I’ve ever needed anything! It’s narrated by a crow and he refers to the dog as his trusty steed Dennis!
Erika McKitterick
Apr 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This book is a great adventure! Each chapter took me on a journey that has changed my view of Nature. It’s smart, humorous, and filled my heart in multiple ways!
Griffin Alexander
Nov 26, 2018 rated it it was amazing
A raucous romp of a soon-to-be bizarre classic.
« previous 1 3 next »
Kira Jane Buxton's writing has appeared in The New York Times, NewYorker.com, McSweeney’s, The Rumpus, Huffington Post, and more. She calls the tropical utopia of Seattle home and spends her time with three cats, a dog, two crows, a charm of hummingbirds, and a husband.