Start by marking “Urban Legendz” as Want to Read:
Urban Legendz

Urban Legendz

After his mother's death, teen Dwayne is forced to uproot himself and move into the home where his mother grew up: a shabby apartment in Brooklyn. Overshadowed by his socially salient older brother, and pressured by his policeman father, Dwayne often feels out of place, a sentiment that is only intensified in these unfamiliar surroundings. Before too long, however, his ...more
Published June 11th 2019 by BiG

To ask other readers questions about Urban Legendz, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Urban Legendz

Start your review of Urban Legendz
Ⓟⓔⓐⓒⓗⓨ Ⓚⓔⓔⓝ Ⓡⓔⓐⓓⓢ
It was quite short. I felt that it moved a bit to fast. Though overall, a nice and cool story for middle grade.

Thank you to Hoopla Digital where I borrowed this story for free...
Kirsten
A disparate group of kids take on all of the wild and scary happenings in the neighborhood--giant alligators in the sewers, huge bedbugs everywhere, and gargoyles that have come alive and swoop down to collect unsuspecting couples. Full of adventure. Great friendship book. Perfect in the graphic novel format.
BookCupid
Nov 23, 2020 rated it it was ok
Shelves: graphic
More like Urban myths. Might have liked this more if the title hadn't been misleading.
Heather
Jun 30, 2020 rated it liked it
The monsters are cool, and a lot of readers will like it, but it is more about Brooklyn than it is about a mystery or monsters.
Astrid Galactic
Jul 17, 2019 rated it really liked it
Tales of the big city involving flying gargoyles, giant rats, monster bed bugs, toilet alligators, territorial gangs, urban renewal and political intrigue is the stuff that urban legends are made of in a new kids comic book entitled Urban Legendz. Paul Downs,Nick Bruno and Michael Yates have joined forces to create a an urban story about a group of good, yet troubled, kids in Brooklyn, New York who join forces to fight off an array of monsters destroying people within their community.

Our story
Sesana
Oct 02, 2020 rated it it was ok
There's some good stuff surrounding the main character's family relationships, and I liked that the villain of the story gets significantly more complicated at the end of the book. But the storytelling is really, really thin. For example, the main character's mother died before the book starts, but I have absolutely no idea how she died. Illness? Accident? It's never stated or even alluded to, and I feel like that would make a big difference in how the characters process their grief. Likewise, ...more
Tai Coutee
URBAN LEGENDZ is the start of what promises to be an awesome new graphic novel series. I love how Bruno is able to weave together grief, gentrification, father-son relationships, homelessness, and found family, in addition to giant alligators and sentient evil gargoyles. At its core this book is about Dwayne finding his people and reclaiming his life after losing his mother, and the friendship between him, Cashew, Mya, and Worm. I also LOVED how Bruno perfectly orchestrated the prep montage in ...more
Alyssa
Sep 14, 2019 rated it really liked it
Kathleen
Nov 23, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: giveaways
I enjoyed this graphic novel and Im looking forward to the next installment. I think it was a good start to the series and I am eager to see what happens to the different characters. I would have liked to have learned more about each of the kids as well as Riff Raff in this book but I have a feeling the authors deliberately left a lot to explore as the series develops. If there had been more about the individuals or a slightly deeper focus on any one character I would have rated the book higher. ...more
Willa
Jul 08, 2019 rated it it was ok
I learned to read from comic books when I was a kid. I'm afraid I wasn't really impressed by this. And I thought, perhaps it's just my age showing. I gave it to my teenage granddaughter and unfortunately she wasn't impressed either. She's more into Manga. We both agreed that it was better suited for maybe 13-15 year old boys.

There were a couple of places where it seemed hard to follow.

Redeeming Value: Shows friendships, cooperation with others. At the end it gave a little review of each
Alyson
Dwayne's family just moved back to his mom's old stomping ground. Dwayne isn't happy about moving but his mother just passed away and he, his older brother and his father, move in with his mother's mom. According to his father, the neighborhood has unfortunately changed a lot. Dwayne makes friends with some other kids and soon ends up helping them solve a mystery about why people are starting to disappear. He learns there are mythical creatures who are equally unhappy about the changes in the ...more
Ransom
Sep 23, 2019 rated it it was ok
I won this in a Goodreads Giveaway. Although the concept was interesting, overall felt more like an early storyboard for a movie than a completed, cohesive graphic novel. I had trouble following some of the panels and there were some pretty significant plot holes than a young kid might be able to overlook, but some of images might be too scary for a kid that young. As a result, it's hard to know who exactly the target audience is.
Jen
Aug 07, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: graphic-novels
The story is a little underdeveloped but it's still a good book for middle grade/teens. My affection for it on a personal level also runs pretty deep. And, maybe because the authors have a background in film animation, there are particular panels with really interesting ways of exploring depth of field the way that a camera would to emphasize dramatic effect/character emotions. <3
Karen
Aug 09, 2020 rated it really liked it
A fun graphic novel/comic book. Leave it to the kids and the wise homeless man to realize that all the mysterious disappearances are caused by urban legends come to larger-than-life and to figure out how to save the day.
Beth
Sep 03, 2019 rated it liked it
I liked the use of the urban legends- although it probably can get a little graphic for younger and more sensitive children (there's a lot of death and people getting eaten). Pretty entertaining, though, and I can see it being very popular.
Erin Newton
May 13, 2020 rated it really liked it
A fun friendship adventure. Fun artwork. Hope there will be more
Heather
Sep 29, 2019 rated it liked it
3.5/5 solid characterization, good illustrations, and interesting story. Grades 4-7.
Melanie
Jul 02, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: giveaways
This was such a fun book!! I won this book, and thoroughly enjoyed it. Highly recommended.
Jen
Jul 18, 2020 rated it liked it
Graphic novel about kids fighting real urban legend monsters in Brooklyn.
Cherie Nef
Apr 26, 2020 rated it liked it
Okay for the entire library.
Melissa
Aug 03, 2020 rated it it was ok
The only one I knew that existed was the crocs in the toilet.
DaNae
Jun 28, 2020 rated it liked it
Pretty fun. Ambitious.
Sharlena
Nov 29, 2019 rated it really liked it
This was fun! Looking forward to the next installment!
Blake
Feb 19, 2020 rated it liked it
So I went through this period where I put a whole bunch of graphic novels on hold at the library, this was one of them.

Do I really remember the ins and outs of this book nah. But basically the cover sums it up. In New York City there are a bunch of attacks of children and a found family of friends searches out to figure out what happened. Low and behold it's Urban Legends that are attacking and killing these kids and it's the kids and a homeless mans mission to save the city.
Derek
Fun story with a good message of coming together as a community. I also love the idea that everyone is needed regardless of who they are and how they look.
Monica
Feb 23, 2020
« previous 1 3 4 next »

• Snapdragon
  • Superman Smashes the Klan
  • Class Act (New Kid, #2)
  • Twins
  • The Crossover
  • Shirley and Jamila Save Their Summer
  • Beetle & the Hollowbones
  • Tiger vs. Nightmare
  • I Survived the Shark Attacks of 1916 (I Survived Graphic Novel #2): A Graphix Book (I Survived Graphic Novels)
  • Chirp