Start by marking “Urban Legendz” as Want to Read:
Urban Legendz

Urban Legendz

After his mother's death, teen Dwayne is forced to uproot himself and move into the home where his mother grew up: a shabby apartment in Brooklyn. Overshadowed by his socially salient older brother, and pressured by his policeman father, Dwayne often feels out of place, a sentiment that is only intensified in these unfamiliar surroundings. Before too long, however, his ...more
Published June 11th 2019 by Big

To ask other readers questions about Urban Legendz, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Urban Legendz

Start your review of Urban Legendz
Astrid Galactic
Jul 17, 2019 rated it really liked it
Tales of the big city involving flying gargoyles, giant rats, monster bed bugs, toilet alligators, territorial gangs, urban renewal and political intrigue is the stuff that urban legends are made of in a new kids comic book entitled Urban Legendz. Paul Downs,Nick Bruno and Michael Yates have joined forces to create a an urban story about a group of good, yet troubled, kids in Brooklyn, New York who join forces to fight off an array of monsters destroying people within their community.

Our story
Alyssa
Sep 14, 2019 rated it really liked it
URBAN LEGENDZ is the start of what promises to be an awesome new graphic novel series. I love how Bruno is able to weave together grief, gentrification, father-son relationships, homelessness, and found family, in addition to giant alligators and sentient evil gargoyles. At its core this book is about Dwayne finding his people and reclaiming his life after losing his mother, and the friendship between him, Cashew, Mya, and Worm. I also LOVED how Bruno perfectly orchestrated the prep montage in ...more
Kathleen
Nov 23, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: giveaways
I enjoyed this graphic novel and I’m looking forward to the next installment. I think it was a good start to the series and I am eager to see what happens to the different characters. I would have liked to have learned more about each of the kids as well as Riff Raff in this book but I have a feeling the authors deliberately left a lot to explore as the series develops. If there had been more about the individuals or a slightly deeper focus on any one character I would have rated the book ...more
Willa
Jul 08, 2019 rated it it was ok
I learned to read from comic books when I was a kid. I'm afraid I wasn't really impressed by this. And I thought, perhaps it's just my age showing. I gave it to my teenage granddaughter and unfortunately she wasn't impressed either. She's more into Manga. We both agreed that it was better suited for maybe 13-15 year old boys.

There were a couple of places where it seemed hard to follow.

Redeeming Value: Shows friendships, cooperation with others. At the end it gave a little review of each
Ransom
Sep 23, 2019 rated it it was ok
I won this in a Goodreads Giveaway. Although the concept was interesting, overall felt more like an early storyboard for a movie than a completed, cohesive graphic novel. I had trouble following some of the panels and there were some pretty significant plot holes than a young kid might be able to overlook, but some of images might be too scary for a kid that young. As a result, it's hard to know who exactly the target audience is.
Jen
Aug 07, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: graphic-novels
The story is a little underdeveloped but it's still a good book for middle grade/teens. My affection for it on a personal level also runs pretty deep. And, maybe because the authors have a background in film animation, there are particular panels with really interesting ways of exploring depth of field the way that a camera would to emphasize dramatic effect/character emotions. <3
Beth
Sep 03, 2019 rated it liked it
I liked the use of the urban legends- although it probably can get a little graphic for younger and more sensitive children (there's a lot of death and people getting eaten). Pretty entertaining, though, and I can see it being very popular.
Heather
Sep 29, 2019 rated it liked it
3.5/5 solid characterization, good illustrations, and interesting story. Grades 4-7.
Melanie
Jul 02, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: giveaways
This was such a fun book!! I won this book, and thoroughly enjoyed it. Highly recommended.
Sharlena
Nov 29, 2019 rated it really liked it
This was fun! Looking forward to the next installment!
Eudocia
Sep 20, 2019

• Stargazing
  • The Okay Witch
  • Teen Titans: Raven
  • Best Friends (Real Friends, #2)
  • Grimoire Noir
  • Cheshire Crossing
  • Pumpkinheads
  • The City on the Other Side
  • The Midwinter Witch (The Witch Boy, #3)
  • Harley Quinn: Breaking Glass