Start by marking “Blackbird, Vol. 1” as Want to Read:
Blackbird, Vol. 1

Blackbird, Vol. 1

(Blackbird #1-6)

Nina Rodriguez knows a hidden magical world run by ruthless cabals is hiding in Los Angeles. When a giant magic beast kidnaps her sister, Nina must confront her past (and her demons) to get her sister back and reclaim her life. Don't miss the first collection of the smash-hit neo-noir fantasy series from fan-favorite writer SAM HUMPHRIES (Harley Quinn, Nightwing) and ...more
Published May 14th 2019 by Image Comics (first published May 8th 2019)

To ask other readers questions about Blackbird, Vol. 1, please sign up.
Patrick Soucy It will be released on May 14th 2019, but I already saw it in Canadian physical store "Chapters" and "Indigo".

Start your review of Blackbird, Vol. 1
Melissa ♥ Dog/Wolf Lover ♥ Martin
Im going to add some of the art from the book because I appreciate when others do that as well. It takes a good amount of time for me to do this so I hope yall can appreciate that Im doing it for yall and can like it for what it is, not for any boring ole line I can try to flesh out. Love to yall!

The story is bit odd but I want to continue. Art is fantastic!

Commence with some pics!

Mel 🖤🐶🐺🐾
Faith M ✨
Well that sucked.

The Art

The art was goodsometimes. Usually, it was painfully awkward and had that certain quality so common in Western comics and graphic novels: what I call rushed by a deft hand. The artist was good, undeniably so, but they were also very clearly rushed, or just didnt care about their art enough to make it look any good.

The spectacle shots were all beautiful but the regular panels and character designs looked just really strange, at least in my opinion. Facial expressions
Melanie (mells_view)
Blackbird Vol. 1 was good. I enjoyed Nina learning more about the magical paragon/cabal world, and uncovering secrets along the way. Being completely honest most of the characters are unlikable and have very harsh personalities. Im assuming that was on purpose, but some of them grew on me by the end. As I said I did like the story, it just felt a little all over the place at times. I think the flow was a bit off. The art work is beautiful and eye catching. Even when the story was a bit confusing ...more
Noura Khalid (theperksofbeingnoura)
Really love the art! The story is a bit rushed, but I'm hoping it'll improve in the coming volumes.
Susana
2 stars

It was an ok read. I wish more of the magic system had been explained and things weren't so rushed because it made it very confusing.

If I'm being honest, I had no idea what the plot of this was and only picked it up because the cover is absolutely gorgeous as is the artwork on the inside.
Jane (It'sJaneLindsey)
The art is beautiful but the plot makes NO SENSE.
Valéria.
Jul 19, 2019 rated it it was ok
Shelves: comics
Reading this caused me physical pain. Nina, the main character, is incredibly annoying and stupid. All I can remember is "omg" everywhere and how all is cute and just ugh. No. Definitely not for me. 1,5/5. Just because of art.
jess ❈
I will be honest, I have not read many graphic novels so I am not entirely sure how to review them. But I did enjoy this story; it's fast-paced and atmospheric. It did probably take an hour to read it, or even less, except I was tired last night so I fell asleep on it a couple times.

The art style was amazing - honestly, it's so beautiful and I could stare at it forever. I was sad when I finished the last page because there was nothing for me to look at anymore!

I do have to say that it did feel
⠀annie⠀✧*ೃ༄
Jun 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: read-in-2019
i dont even know where to begin with this. everything was amazing. yeah, it was a little rushed but... its meant to be a whirlwind.

this comic series is probably the most beautiful thing my eyes every witnessed. the art is so beautiful. i cannot stress how much the color palette and the art style fit this.

the plot was also very good. im kinda new to this subject matter so i cant really speak on originality but i can say ive never read anything like this.

the way the sixth issue ended leads me
Marnie  (Enchanted Bibliophile)
"I'm the only one with the power to make my life better"
all

The vibrant color collection on any given page is dessert to the eye.
The plot was a bit predictable at some points, but overall it was entertaining.
Ill definitely be on the lookout for the next issue.

Is
Claudia ✨
Jul 12, 2019 rated it liked it
As soon as I set my eyes on this gorgeous cover I knew I had to read Blackbird. What can I say? I am a sucker for pretty covers. When I went along to read the synopsis though, I found myself even more intrigued - hispanic lead? Magical beasts? Sister having to save sister? I'm here for it.

And in many ways, this graphic novel really delivered. Especially on that art - gosh, it was absolutely stunning. I loved the colours, the character designs, and the thighs. Yes, you read that right. I loved
Kate
May 24, 2019 rated it liked it
jen bartel's art?? gorgeous. sam humphries' plot??? solidly mediocre.
Christy
Mar 16, 2019 rated it really liked it
Damn I cant wait to see where this goes. Full review to come. ...more
lauren ♡
Sep 29, 2019 rated it really liked it
the art in this was STUNNING 😍 the plot confused me a little, but overall i really enjoyed it and i hope there's a volume 2 soon??
Robin Bonne
Jun 23, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: graphic-novels
The artwork with its bright, neon color scheme, is gorgeous.
Leanne (Beauty & The Book Dragon)
Trigger Warning for: Drug Abuse & parental abandonment.
Rep for: Sibling and mother/daughter relationships.

This was a good start to a series I feel has so much potential to be huge. We have a character building up to potentially be a badass female character. Which btw I'm kinda hair twins with Nina at the moment.

We have magic gangs set it LA/Hollywood.
An unreliable but sassy cat companion.
An assortment of characters I can't wait to know more about in future volumes.
Same with the overall
ℓуηη, ℓσкιѕℓутнєя¢ℓαω
I was truly captivated by this slim beauty, which I wasn't expecting. I knew I'd fall in love with the artwork just by that flippin' stellar cover! 😍 But the storyline was wonderfully thought out and I was hooked.

I loved Nina, and sadly could relate to get on so many levels 😔

Nina's family were pretty trashy, in my opinion. Everyone abandoned her. Everyone left her in the dark. And then they were shocked when she started lashing out? Like for real? Idiots. It didn't work out when Dumbledore left
Bookishrealm
May 22, 2019 rated it really liked it
This comic book was phenomenal! I was pleasantly surprised and shocked about how it pulled me in. I dont know if anyone else got these vibes but it did slightly remind me of The Wicked + The Divine. I dont know if it was the storyline or the artwork. Speaking of the artwork!!! It was beautiful and rich Im so many beautiful colors. I cant wait for the next volume and I will be doing a full review. ...more
Helen
Apr 14, 2019 rated it it was ok
Shelves: graphic-novel, arc, ya
description

How many times can you use the word gnarly

2 stars for the awesome artwork
David Schaafsma
Jul 28, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: gn-ya, gn-fantasy
I read this because Jen Bartel won the 2019 Eisner Award for (multiple) covers, including this one, which is striking, right? She also does the art within the book, which I liked. The story features Nina Rodriguez, who in the first volume is almost wholly unlikeable, working in a bar, painkiller-addicted, with her sister, Marina, after her mother is dead. She and Marina were once saved by some mystical beast, and Nina participates daily in online connections to magic and cabals and paragons, ...more
karli
Jun 22, 2019 rated it really liked it
4/5 stars!

This has to be one of my favorite beginnings to a graphic novel series, yet. This world was so fascinating! The characters! The art! I really really loved this one. I am so looking forward to more. Give me all the Blackbird!!!!!
Becky
May 19, 2019 rated it liked it
Interesting story so far - I absolutely adore the art in this one! Really pulled me into picking it up at the store & the synopsis sounded so fun!
Really fast read, at first was slightly confusing to get to grips with the story because quite a lot was introduced in a small amount of time, definitely glad Im reading this in trade rather than issues cause that might have be way more confusing! 😂
Sail ♛ A Wicked Reader
Jun 27, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: comics
Everything about this was so entertaining and magical. But what really made this shine is the artwork and the coloring. Jen Bartel truly is the best in the business. I'd picked this up on a whim because I'm a fan of her art and I'm so glad that I did. I've never seen visuals this captivating in a graphic novel before. And I'm already really invested in all of these characters so I look forward to more issues!
Mandy
Aug 29, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: graphic-novels
Writing:3/5
Plot:3.5/5
Art:5/5
The writing was really choppy at times, especially in the middle issues. Plot was engaging enough but a. Bit confusing and jumbled in the middle. The artwork, though, was incredible. I would read 10 more volumes for the art alone. Just stunning.
ari
Did I decide to read this specifically because of the pretty girl on the cover? Maybe so.
Sami
Apr 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing
A spectral and magical constellation of a comic that I couldn't put down.
Rachel (Kalanadi)
Sep 08, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: comics
Gorgeous artwork, so-so on plot and characters.
Julia ✨
3.25 ★★★
I really enjoyed this one, it was a bit too quick at times, i wanted the backstory to last more and a little bit of mystery but i have high hopes for the series overall so i definitely will keep reading it.
Shazia
Jul 18, 2019 rated it liked it
not sure if i can post the actual review i wrote for slj on here but just a quick lil review: writing seemed kind of rushed throughout the comic but the ending wrapped up nicely and the art is beautiful.

for anyone interested in my full review:

Cora Tea Party Princess

• Skyward, Vol. 1: My Low-G Life
  • Crowded, Vol. 1
  • Paper Girls, Vol. 6
  • Middlewest, Book One
  • "Okay" (The Wicked + The Divine #9)
  • Monstress, Vol. 4: The Chosen
  • Redlands, Vol. 2: Water on the Fire
  • Die, Vol. 2: Split the Party
  • Mooncakes

Blackbird (6 books)
  • Blackbird #1 (Blackbird, #1)
  • Blackbird #2 (Blackbird, #2)
  • Blackbird #3 (Blackbird, #3)
  • Blackbird #4 (Blackbird, #4)
  • Blackbird #5 (Blackbird, #5)
  • Blackbird #6 (Blackbird, #6)

Articles featuring this book

Ah, graphic novels—the delightful medium where visual art merges with the written word to create unforgettable stories! This year's titles are...