Start by marking “"Okay" (The Wicked + The Divine #9)” as Want to Read:
"Okay" (The Wicked + The Divine #9)

"Okay"

(The Wicked + The Divine (Collected Editions) #9)

After five years, we reach the final volume. We go not gentle into that good night, but go driving a converted tank, covered in glitter and spangles, with a soundsystem audible from Mars blaring nothing but bangers. Gods, pop stars, an ending. We'll miss you.

Collects THE WICKED +THE DIVINE #40-45
Published October 8th 2019 by Image Comics

To ask other readers questions about "Okay", please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about "Okay"

Start your review of "Okay" (The Wicked + The Divine #9)
Artemy
Sep 04, 2019 rated it really liked it
So this is it, the end of The Wicked + The Divine. The end of an era, Kieron Gillen and Jamie McKelvie’s magnum opus five years in the making. A book that got me into comics, the one I’ve been following from the start, my first ongoing series, and for the longest time my favorite. This book means so much to me, and I’m definitely a bit sad that it is over, though I’m also kinda relieved.

Yes, I freely admit that the series lost its way a bit midway through — I actually went back and re-read the
Drew
Oct 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing
5+ out of 5.
Fuck off, it's perfect. It's a perfect ending, one that clears up so much of the confusing mythos of the series thus far -- and it does it in ways that made me gasp. The ending, in particular, is one of the most transcendent moments in literature imho.

Burn bright, if you must -- but learning how to burn longer is far, far more important.
Alex Sarll
The end of 6,000 years, or looked at another way, five. In which two guys I knew before they were even cult figures pulled off the Ziggy Stardust gambit, and told a story about fame that made them famous - but not just famous, because much like the characters this also saw them ascending to a whole other level creatively, with issues that should have felt like jokes or gimmicks but instead served as reminders that comics can do so much more than people usually let them. After which, this is wher ...more
Logan
Nov 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Wow, what an ending! I've been following this series since the first volume came out and it was definitely one of the most unique comic book series I've ever read! There were ups and downs throughout, but the story and characters always sucked me in! Going in, I didn't know how the creative team was going to do a finale to a series that was basically the game of thrones of comics for me but unlike GoT, this one actually had a good ending! All I can say is Kieron Gillen's writing and Jamie McKelv ...more
Kate
Oct 13, 2019 rated it liked it
wow. i don’t really know what to say.

i kinda consider wicdiv as the book that got me into print comics, that taught me i could obsess over and adore and be emotionally invested in characters and storylines the way i cared about those in novels. i’ve spent hours discussing character design and development. i’ve waited anxiously for 5 of the 9 books in this series to come out. however, as the story progressed, i felt myself losing track of it. and, maybe because of that, this ending didn’t hit as
Oct 07, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: comics-i-ve-read
Ed Erwin
Nov 01, 2019 rated it it was ok
Shelves: fantasy, comics
While I loved the first 2 volumes, I enjoyed it less as it continued. Still I pushed on through.
Neil (or bleed)
Aug 18, 2019 rated it really liked it
I'm still to read Issue #45 but the four issues are good. At least, my questions have been answered.
Katey Moore
Nov 03, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: graphic-novel
A decent end to a confusing and beautiful series. I really want to go back and read them all the way through, make a flow chart, read some critiques online, and basically fully immerse myself in this adventure to catch all the things I’ve missed.
Sina Tavoosi
Sep 30, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: other-comics
A good enough ending to a unique comic book. My main problem with the series is that it takes a while to tell you what it's all about, and after all that build-up, it's... just weird? There were so many interesting characters here, but strangely, the series doesn't seem very memorable to me. I'm glad I read it, but it didn't leave much to take away.
Andrey
Oct 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: comic-books
This was one one of the most satisfying ending of a series I got to read
Lyndsay
Nov 17, 2019 rated it really liked it
Here it is, the last volume of a comic series that quickly became a new favorite, if not my very favorite. It was a little bittersweet to read the final volume knowing that this is the last time I'd get to read about these characters. It's always sad to come to the end of a series, especially one you've really come to love. All that being said, I thought this final did leave a little bit to be desired. It felt like all the action happened really fast and before I knew it, we'd moved into an epil ...more
Morgan
Oct 15, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I really liked how this series ended. It had it's ups and downs, but the last few volumes when everything was coming together made more sense. Going to miss this series a lot. I loved the art, the mix of mythology and music, and I like the use of historical fiction. Over all I'd give this series 4 story (because I was confusing at first).
Clara Vitral
Nov 15, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: hq
“It is a tale that you sing. As long as you believe it, it makes you powerful.”

Well, I'm sad that it's the last volume in this series; at the same time, I'm glad it's got a conclusion. The Wicked + The Divine were one of the first comic series I've read and it holds a special place. It was a satisfying ending, even though I was expecting a bit more.
Lukas Holmes
Oct 15, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Oh...my...gods! What a beautiful ending to one of the most perfect series ever created. So many startling and emotional moments to end it all and that final interaction of all the characters? Truly moving. Standing ovation for one of the best graphic novels this century.
Bill
Oct 15, 2019 rated it it was amazing
2019 was a tough year for endings, but this? This is perfect. With all the bad choices and questionable things that our group of divine rock stars have done for eight volumes, I was worried that the series would end on a genuinely dark note. But the title of this volume is perfect -- the characters make better choices (most of them) at the end, plan well, and stick together, and things end up okay. Mostly.

This series entered my life at a weird time, and leaves at a very challenging o
Fred
Nov 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Holy. Shit. What a fucking ending to a wonderful series.

Just

Wow!

Nothing else I can say would be a good enough review.

(Didn't take me two days, started late one night and couldn't put it down)
Erica McGillivray
What an ending.
Nancy
Oct 25, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: graphic-novels
This review (plus V8) can be found on my blog: https://graphicnovelty2.com/2019/10/2...

This is it! Can Gillen and McKelvie bring this series to a satisfying close? Since Volume Eight was basically an interlude (although two of the previous historical stories will tie-in to this one), we basically are picking up from Volume Seven’s action.

Woden, Minerva and Baal are planning a concert to suck the energy of the Gods and concert-goers to supposedly prevent The Great Darkness, although Baal is but an unknowing pawn in
C. Chambers
Oct 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Now that is how you end a series.

I was extremely worried at around vol 3 that the story was going to be so convoluted that there was no way go tie it up. And then it got even more confusing, and I just threw my hands up and hoped for the best.

But... my God that was satisfying.

Every aspect of this book is incredible. I love the cover, because the art has been nothing short of spectacular for its entirety. I love the token reviewer's blurbs (that are a special treat this time around
Devann
I've had a lot of ups and downs with this series, but honestly I think most of the downs were when I was frustrated with not knowing what was happening or the plot taking detours and I think I would probably rate several volumes higher if I reread them all in a row - something I plan on doing next year. This ending was absolutely perfect though. Definitely worth the wait and very satisfying all around.

Some highlights:

(view spoiler) ...more
Jarrah
Oct 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: graphic-novel
What a gripping last chapter in one of the great comic book sagas of all time. Gillen and McKelvie ended an era with a bang, guiding us through some last-minute twists and tying up loose ends before hitting home a strong message about the pitfalls of fame. I devoured this volume and instantly wanted to go back and re-read the entire series to take it all in again knowing where the story was headed. I even cried as our cast of characters faced their biggest test and connected with each other in n ...more
vio
Nov 01, 2019 rated it really liked it
I have ?? so many emotions ?? I don’t know if they’re good or bad emotions; I think I’m mostly just surprised because it wasn’t the ending I expected. But it has the chaotic energy that the entirety of the series had so I guess the ending makes sense. So to sum up, I think I liked it, I’m just a little out of sorts about it, is all. I am sad it’s all over, though. RIP.
João Calafate
Sep 04, 2019 rated it really liked it
I started reading these comics 5 years ago. It's really weird to see them come to an end - especially when much of the story has been about avoiding endings -, but here we are. It wasn't perfect, it was often so strange I didn't know what was going on, but it was a beautiful thing to read. The last issue was really moving. I'll miss these characters, and I'll miss the feeling I'd get every Wednesday when the new issue finally dropped after a month of waiting.
Rachel
Oct 04, 2019 rated it really liked it
I felt that this went too fast. I loved it. But this whole series took years of my life but I still feel it flew by.
Allison Wysong
I really enjoyed The Wicked + the Divine and wow, what an ending! This will definitely be a series I reread (as if I haven't reread some of the volumes already).
Linda
I can't not give this 5 stars. I tried, but then I cried.
Bridgette
A decent conclusion, but it did leave me a little meh. The series, but the latter half just isn't as good as those first two to three volumes.
Woowott
Oct 03, 2019 rated it really liked it
Ohhh, Baphomet!

Well done, Laura!

Mimir is adorable! So is Inanna!

Your my hero, Cass!

Oh, my heart.
Krk
Oct 13, 2019 added it
Shelves: graphic-novels
While I enjoyed this final volume, I need to reread the whole series before giving it a proper rating.
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »

• Gideon Falls, Vol. 3: Stations of the Cross
  • Farmhand, Vol. 2: Thorne in the Flesh
  • Black Science, Vol. 9: No Authority But Yourself
  • Snow, Glass, Apples
  • The Umbrella Academy, Vol. 3: Hotel Oblivion (The Umbrella Academy, #3)
  • The Unbeatable Squirrel Girl, Vol. 11: Call Your Squirrelfriend
  • Assassin Nation, Vol. 1: Number One With a Bullet
  • Thor, Vol. 3: War's End
Kieron Gillen is a comic book writer and former media journalist.

The Wicked + The Divine (Collected Editions) (9 books)
  • The Faust Act (The Wicked + The Divine #1)
  • Fandemonium (The Wicked + The Divine #2)
  • Commercial Suicide (The Wicked + The Divine #3)
  • Rising Action (The Wicked + The Divine #4)
  • Imperial Phase, Part I (The Wicked + The Divine #5)
  • Imperial Phase, Part II (The Wicked + The Divine #6)
  • Mothering Invention (The Wicked + The Divine #7)
  • Old Is the New New (The Wicked + The Divine #8)
“It is a tale that you sing. As long as you believe it, it makes you powerful.” 4 likes