Start by marking “Self/Made” as Want to Read:
Self/Made

Self/Made

When chaos besieges the kingdom of Arcadia, warrior Amala Citlali sees it as her chance to escape her clearly-defined role, and change her destiny. But what she doesn't realize, what she could never predict, is that it will also be her chance to confront her God.

In his debut editorial role, comics veteran Kyle Higgins guides this intimate story of self-discovery that takes
Published July 23rd 2019 by Image Comics (first published June 11th 2019)

To ask other readers questions about Self/Made, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Self/Made

Start your review of Self/Made
Emma
Dec 30, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: graphic-novels, 2019
*Actual rating is a 3.5*

Self/Made started out strong with a compelling beginning, interesting characters, and some truly gorgeous artwork. The plot started swerving in some wild directions and, while initially exciting, began to get needlessly complicated. I finished this graphic novel not quite sure what I'd read -- but not in a good way. The story has a ton of potential and I like the themes at the heart of this volume though I think they got a bit lost in what felt like endless twists
Ed Erwin
Jan 23, 2020 rated it liked it
Shelves: comics, sf
Cool concept. Nice art. But an annying one-dimensional villain.
Devann
I received an ARC copy of this book from NetGalley

The first issue was very confusing, but once the 'twist' was revealed this title played with a lot of interesting ideas. I don't want to say too much about the plot because I feel like it's the kind of thing that is better for you to discover as your go along, but I really liked Amala and her 'creator' and I thought the story touched on a lot of interesting points regarding identity and free will at various points. Unfortunately despite all the
RG
Jul 31, 2019 rated it liked it
Solid scifi fantasy story. A bit confusing at the start but once the twist occurred it kicks into gear. A little overly wordy.
Cheryl
Sep 04, 2019 rated it really liked it
While this graphic novel was fun to read, it also was a bit confusing at times. I really liked the plot and I'm curious to see how the story continues. I also loved the art style and the colour scheme was very well done.
Geoffrey Payne
May 23, 2019 rated it really liked it
I picked this book up after the cover for issue 1 caught my eye at my local comic shop and overall this book didnt disappoint. The story was compelling enough to keep me interested and the artwork is pretty close to top tier stuff. The characters lack a little development but I cant hold it against this book too much considering the amount of world building this story required across only six issues. Amala is a really compelling character and could have some good potential if they are able to ...more
Wendy
Aug 31, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This is a story that it's best to go into blind. It's a bit confusing at first, but at the end of the first issue there is a twist that explains what's going on.

I love this one, and I want lots of people to read it. The art is stunning, and slightly different for each of the settings we find ourselves in over the course of the story. Same with colors (and Marcelo Costa does incredible work on the colors). The page layouts are gorgeous. It also says some interesting things about learning who you
Alex Sarll
I was on the verge of abandoning this for being a grab-bag of fantasy cliches and then the story wound itself back. And again. And again. And it became clear that something quite different was happening, something revealed at the first issue's close but deducible before then, yet still something I would still feel bad giving away straight off. At its best, this feels like Westworld filtered through Paranoia Agent; elsewhere, it barely transcends being the grab-bag it initially appeared, albeit ...more
Dakota Morgan
Nov 10, 2019 rated it liked it
Seeming to start from the classic high idea "What if video game characters were like, real??", Self Made morphs into a scattered, intermittently interesting, and gorgeously illustrated exploration of AI and multiverses. In the book, Rebecca seems to have brought an AI to life in creating Amala, a character in a fantasy video game. Both characters lack detail, though they're wildly more complete than the sneering villain, competing game developer Bryce. He's painfully one-note.

Rebecca helps Amala
Theediscerning
Jun 09, 2019 rated it liked it
Hmmm After a hokey opening, we discover that our lead character is actually a character in a computer game, and one who's been gifted extra coding to make her breach the boundaries of her plot in other words, she's alive, or at least too alive for the games company. Her creator implants her into a robot, which is fair enough even with the sense of deja vu, the story had me up to here, once I could work out what was going on. Unfortunately it then all goes a little too Matrix-ey, with signs ...more
Andrew
Aug 09, 2019 rated it liked it
Cool concept, and if you're like me you'll prefer to find it out by yourself, so I won't spoil the fun.

The art is generally very good. A few faces looked slightly off if I'm being very critical but characters are easily recognisable, the action looks good and is easy to follow, and the environments and colour schemes are top notch.

Nice to see some familiar scenes from a city I know well too, bit of a novelty.

The plot was fine, a couple of twists, but the dialogue, is unfortunately on the cheesy
Paul Allard
Sep 15, 2019 rated it it was amazing

Science fiction / fantasy comic series which is unusual and engaging.

Amals fights for survival in her fantasy world while Rebecca is a programmer of video games. Their lives become intertwined and I am trying not to give too much away. The characters are well-developed and the story moves along at a healthy pace. This is a review of the first 4 issues and theres more to come. The artwork is clear, detailed and enjoyable. So far so very good.
Joe
Jan 08, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Im an avid comics and graphic novel reader. Im usually going through a couple of stories at a time. This one pulled all of my attention immediately. It starts off a bit fun and playful, but before you know it you are feeling heartbroken for the protagonist. Moments of intrigue, violence, levity, sadness and beauty are all equally interwoven in the fabric of this volume. Please give it a chance and if it moved you and made you think the way it did for me, tell your friends. I want more. ...more
Kend
Jan 13, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I *really* like this comic, particularly in TP form, as it is bendy enough in its twists and turns to make it a good sit-down-and-savor experience. The art is lovely, and the ideas well-executed. I found the characterization interesting as well.

Here's hoping we see more from Groom and the rest of the SELF/MADE team soon! As it stands, it looks as though we may only get the one volume, which would be a real shame.
Jenny Clark
Sep 22, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: image-comics
This was quite an interesting story, and I really love how it all seamlessly blends together. I am very excited for volume 2, since there were several cliffhangers as well! Art is great and the dialogue is good as well. There is not a dull moment in this story! Highly recommended to any comics fan, any sci fi fan, anyone looking for a story of self discovery.
Anna Heidick
An interesting enough concept that started off great. The majority of the storyline was nice to watch unfold, and see what directions it would take. The ending was alright and worked fine enough for the philosophical point it may have been trying to get across, but I'd definitely understand if it's a bit hit or miss for some.
Paul Swanson
Mar 27, 2020 rated it liked it
Accountability.

"Why did you- - why did you have to make me do that...?"

Thoughtful story and themes.
Art and coloring is great quality; contemporary; easy to understand.
Pacing was too fast. Not enough time spent on anything.

Reminds me of an old song:
"You should make amends with you
If only for better health
But if you really want to live
Why not try and make yourself?"
Moose
Dec 22, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: graphic-novels
I absolutely love the art styles in this graphic novel. The concepts lying behind everything were well thought out and executed, twists in all the right places with the right pacing for my tastes. Ending was pretty good, expectable once you arrived there, but the experience as a whole was something I'd highly recommend!
JC  Cornell
Dec 12, 2019 rated it really liked it
This series has me wanting more by the end of the volume. Interesting concept. Hope it continues in the vein of finding "higher creators" and doesn't fall apart in the classic "struggle to be accepted as a member of society because of what you are" scenario. Really could go either way based on how it ended. Really hoping its not the last option.
Drucilla
Mar 07, 2020 rated it liked it
Shelves: graphic-novels
3 stars for the premise and the characters, but the mini-series format hurt it. Everything is just so rushed. I can't imagine what it must have been like to read this month to month. I would have thought I had missed issues. Wasted potential.
C.A.
Oct 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Absolutely beautiful artwork, and a fabulous story to go with it. I grabbed this book originally because of the gorgeous cover art, and Im glad I did. The story is heartfelt and beautiful. I just wished there was more of it. ...more
(a)lyss(a)
Aug 10, 2019 rated it liked it
This is an interesting take on living in the matrix, or AI characters learning too much.

The art is beautiful, but the writing is also the typical cheesy comic book style. I wasn't wowed, but I can see why people would enjoy it.
Stephanie
Jun 18, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: arc
This is the writers first solo work and it shows. I like that we are in a video game. Then it gets too much like a cross between The Matrix and Inception.
The art is top notch! Not my favorite style but stunning in detail.
ARC provided by Edelweiss+ in exchange for an honest review.
Kelsey
Jul 25, 2019 rated it really liked it
Promising debut for a sci-fi/spec-fic title. There's a lot happening in this volume, and we ultimately get way more questions than answers, but it's a fun ride involving strong female protagonists and sentient A.I. I hope the creators are able to continue the story because I'd love to see more.
Amber Nicole
Aug 29, 2019 rated it did not like it
Shelves: dnf
I only got like halfway through this and its just so boring and unmemorable that I cannot finish it. ...more
Katie Florida
Oct 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Loved the story, loved the art, I couldn't put it down!
Lauren
Aug 26, 2019 rated it really liked it
This was great! Wish there was more to Amala's journey than just showing a montage of pictures in the background of what she went through. I really hope there are more volumes!
Elizabeth Sorrell
Jul 22, 2019 rated it liked it
Good art but it felt rushed and didnt really pull me in.
Mason
Jul 25, 2019 rated it it was amazing
One of the years best comics. ...more
Emily
Aug 27, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: graphic-novels
Very interesting, love the illustrations, some might find it a bit heavy on the words for a GN. Interested to see where Vol. 2 goes.

• Invisible Kingdom, Vol. 1
  • Ascender, Vol. 1: The Haunted Galaxy
  • Little Bird: The Fight for Elder's Hope
  • Skyward, Vol. 3: Fix the World
  • Die, Vol. 2: Split the Party
  • Die, Vol. 1: Fantasy Heartbreaker
  • Middlewest, Book One
  • Crowded, Vol. 1
  • Sea of Stars, Vol. 1: Lost in the Wild (Sea of Stars, #1)
  • Bitter Root, Vol. 1: Family Business
  • Cemetery Beach
  • Coda, Vol. 1
  • Blackbird, Vol. 1
  • Skyward, Vol. 1: My Low-G Life
Mat Groom is a writer from Sydney, Australia, where he works on branding and narrative development at the creative agency For The People and teaches open-to-the-public storytelling classes.

Self/Made is Mats solo comics writing debut.