Start by marking “Middlewest, Book One” as Want to Read:
Middlewest, Book One

Middlewest, Book One

(Middlewest #1-6)

really liked it 4.00  ·  Rating details ·  712 ratings  ·  120 reviews
The lands between the coasts are vast, slow to change, and full of hidden magics. The town of Farmington has been destroyed sending an unwitting adventurer and his vulpine companion in search of answers to quell a coming storm that speaks his name. From author SKOTTIE YOUNG (I HATE FAIRYLAND, DEADPOOL) and artist JORGE CORONA (NO. 1 WITH A BULLET, FEATHERS, BIG TROUBLE IN ...more
Published May 28th 2019 by Image Comics

To ask other readers questions about Middlewest, Book One, please sign up.
SuperSillySerra maybe teens, the dad is kinda abusive and swears at the son a lot. the dad even tells him his the reason his mom left...
the art makes it look young…more
the art makes it look young but the themes and language are real mature. (less)

really liked it Average rating 4.00  ·

Start your review of Middlewest, Book One
Melissa ♥ Dog/Wolf Lover ♥ Martin
That was super good!!!

Mel 🖤🐶🐺🐾
Sam Quixote
May 22, 2019 rated it liked it
Abel decides to run away from home and join a travelling carnival of magicians, talking animals and robots because his dad’s an abusive prick – and also a giant wind monster (and not the kind that shows up after eating a plate of beans)! But Abel’s not safe as wind monster dad sets out after him…

As you can probably guess from the premise, Skottie Young and Jorge Corona’s Middlewest is a super-realistic, grim’n’gritty take on growing up. Oh, I do like kidding around don’t I? And I kinda like Mid
James DeSantis
May 26, 2019 rated it liked it
This book is tough one to review.

So it starts off simple enough. Abel lives with an abusive father who beats him and treats him like shit. One day the boy snaps and tells his father to go fuck himself. In this moment his father becomes a giant tornado and destroys the city they live in and Abel runs off. Sounds like a typical coming of age story, huh?

The thing here is that I LOVE, LOVE, LOVEEEEEEE the art. It's probably some of my favorite ever. I also enjoyed the bitter moments with the famil
Holly (Holly Hearts Books)
Another graphic novel by Scottie Young. He is just pumping them out now and what a time to be alive. Middlwest is by far my favorite graphic novel so far this year and I really don't see anything topping it.

It follows a young boy named Abel who lives in a small town called Farmington. He lives with his dad who treats him horribly. He is mentally and physically abused by him. One day, Abel gets involved in shoplifting with his friends when he didn't even want to participate. His dad f
Amber
Pretty good graphic novel about a young boy who runs away from his dad after he kicks him out of his house for stealing so he and his fox friend go away to find out what's wrong with him. Can he survive? Read on and find out for yourself. This graphic novel is available at your local library and wherever books are sold.
Artemy
Apr 03, 2019 rated it really liked it
A beautifully realised YA-ish story with fantasy elements about a kid who runs away from home and his abusive father. Normally a story like this wouldn't really be my thing, but Skottie Young's rock-solid writing and Jorge Corona's sublime artwork made all the difference.
Dani ❤️ Perspective of a Writer
description
Check out more reviews @ Perspective of a Writer...

Middlewest book 1 brings together volumes 1-6 of a comic book about the wonderful world of Middlewest, a magic filled, steampunk inspired land riddled with farming communities. Abel is a likeable kid with some not so pleasant people around him. When his abusive dad takes things too far he heads out with Fox, his talking fox, to escape his family history. For a journey story I really fell in love with this world and many of the characters. We get to explore, meet
Shannon Appelcline
It's modern urban fantasy (but not very fantasy). It's the YA story of a boy going on a journey (and perhaps too Y and not A enough). It's a meandering story about running away from home, without too much else going for it.

Overall, an entirely OK book until you get to the end, which is a super-annoying cliffhanger.
Jakub Kvíz
Jul 19, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2019
Little Abel is growing up in a quiet farming town in the middle of nowhere with his father, who has serious anger management issues. One day he loses his shit, turns into a giant tornado and levels the whole town to the ground. And this is where Abel's journey starts.

Middlewest was a pleasant surprise. The world is rich and full of interesting characters. The art fits the whole concept very well and I am looking forward to the second volume.
Ronald
Jun 18, 2019 rated it liked it
While well written this is not a pleasant read. The art fails at times and it is hard to tell people (or animals) apart - but otherwise the art is cool
Chris
This was fun. A boy tries to figure out some weird changes going on in his body and ends up running away from home and going on an adventure across the land with his talking fox.

I got a real Wizard of Oz vibe from this, and it's not just because of Skottie Young. There's kind of a weird mashup of an old 1930's or 1950's aesthetic with retro-futuristic designs that reminds me of pre-apocalyptic America from the Fallout series.

I didn't love this as I was hoping, but I did like it
Stewart Tame
Nov 14, 2019 rated it liked it
Abel and his father don't get along very well. He tries to be a good kid, but he just can't live up to the perfection his dad seems to expect from him. It soon becomes clear that this is not exactly the world as we know it. The talking fox is a pretty big giveaway. And there are these tanks--some of them apparently lighter than air--full of a mysterious pink fluid hooked up to all of the buildings.

Oh, and, in a fit of extreme rage, Abel’s dad turns into some kind of tornado monster and destroys
Misty
Jun 19, 2019 rated it really liked it
3.75
More promise than follow-through on the story, I think, but I enjoyed it nonetheless. Art and coloring are fantastic, and the surreal elements are really well done.
Matt Graupman
Jun 09, 2019 rated it really liked it
It’s a familiar childhood refrain: “I’m gonna run away and join the circus!,” usually delivered in a defiant, petulant tone but rarely ever made good on. Except, in Skottie Young’s latest adolescence-is-hard graphic novel, “Middlewest,” his preteen protagonist, Abel, basically does just that. However, he really had no choice. I mean, his abusive storm-monster of a father (literally, he’s a psychotic force of nature) tried to kill him so what else could he do but hook up with his talking fox side ...more
Will Robinson Jr.
Sep 28, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: graphic-novels
A truly entertaining start to a whimsical contemporary fantasy series. Middlewest is unlike anything being published for the comic book stands. Skottie Young is telling a more personal tale that sees a boy on the run from a monster that just happens to be the boy's own father. First I have to say that this is a great looking book. The artwork and the colors are bright and give the book a unique vibe. Jorge Corona's art is very similar to Young's style. I was incredibly surprise to find out Skott ...more
DEMI
Aug 01, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2019
Overall I really enjoyed reading this graphic novel. The artwork and illustrations for this book were just absolutely beautiful. Visually, it was truly amazing.

I personally liked the storyline of this book and I liked that it was really fast paced. There weren’t any moments where I felt like the book dragged in anyway, which is something I really enjoyed about this book. It made it quick and easy read.

I really loved the bursts of sass and humor that the characters in this
Valéria.
Jun 28, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: comics
Beautifully illustrated story about strange world, boy Abel and his companion, Fox.
The first thing I have to admit is that there is nothing special about this, it's typical story you've probably seen before: problems in family, finding new friends, maybe a girlfriend(?). What's interesting is the way, how it is shown. That world is magical and I really enjoyed reading this.
The second thing - the artwork is awesome. It fits the story so great, beautiful colours and creatures, funny charact
Imogene
Darn it Scottie Young! You just completely broke my feels.
A sad and haunting fantasy allegory of anger and the cycle of abuse.
Paul Decker
May 08, 2019 rated it really liked it
*I received this book as an eARC from Image Comics via Edelweiss. I voluntarily read and reviewed an advanced copy of this book. All thoughts and opinions are my own.*

This book starts out with a boy and his paper route, but there's more to this world than there seems. There's differences from the expected. Weird pink tanks attached to every building. A talking fox. There is no info-dumping in this story. I have no idea what this world is, and I love it. It's definitely giving me Wiza
Rian *fire and books*
Feb 20, 2019 rated it really liked it
This review is based on an arc containing issues #1-#3.

Oh I like this! I’m definitely looking forward to reading the finished copy and continuing this series.

First of all, heads up because I’ve got a trigger warning for you: there’s abuse. There are two instances and they are both a bit of a doozy.

Alrighty moving on! I got some serious Hayao Miyazaki and Treasure Planet vibes from this story! The setting looks like an epic combo of both and I dig it. There’s these massive glass jars with pink
Nancy
Aug 16, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: graphic-novels
This review can also be found on my blog: https://graphicnovelty2.com/2019/08/1...

Skottie Young, known for his fanciful stories, does it again with Middlewest! It is an intriguing graphic novel that is a mash-up of the classic hero’s journey, steampunk and The Wizard of Oz.

Abel is a young teen living with his single Dad in the town of Farmington, and is going through the usual stages of teenage angst. But when he gets caught up with some friends and makes a poor choice his father overreacts and kicks Abel out of t
Maggie Herrera ☾ (Witching Reads)
FUCK.
THIS ONE IS GOOD. The artwork was stunning, the storyline is heartbreaking, the characters are so easy to love and care for. I am looking forward to the next issue. I have no words.
Rory Wilding
May 22, 2019 rated it really liked it
If there is anything that can be classified as a true American fairy tale, it would be The Wonderful Wizard of Oz. The whole purpose of a fairy tale is to be a coming-of-age fantasy, which easily applies to Dorothy Gale and her dog Toto suddenly plunged into a world unlike their Midwestern farm life and learning how to grow up during the course of their adventure. Clearly inspired by that classic story, writer Skottie Young and artist Jorge Corona put their own spin on the American Midwestern fable ...more
SuperSillySerra
May 25, 2019 rated it really liked it
Hold onto your feelings, this ones a wild ride!
(trigger warning: aggressive father figure)

I feel like Skottie Young's novels are sometimes a little deceiving. They usually have some cute and colorful cover with kids and animals front and center. Flipping through it, there are carnivals and candy with lots of brightly colored backgrounds. However, this is not a kids book. I mean the main character is a kid but its not a kids book. This boy Abel has a bad day. A REAL bad day. He wakes up la
Dakota Morgan
Sep 07, 2019 rated it really liked it
Middlewest features FANTASTIC art, understated world-building, an above average story, and remarkable characters. I found myself so absorbed in the appearance of the book that I was unconsciously drawn into the plot. Think Joe the Barbarian with shades of Bone.

In a vaguely fantastical world, young Abel runs away from his father after the father literally becomes a storm monster who marks Abel's chest with a glowing scar. Abel's fox friend joins him on a journey across the Middlewest, with the pair encountering wizard-
Craig
Oct 05, 2019 rated it liked it
This has a lot of potential and hopefully that potential will be realized as it goes on. This first book, though, it a bit underwhelming. Young Abel lives in the small town of Farmington with his single-parent father. He has a paper route and likes to hang out with his friends, playing the latest video game and just generally enjoying a Saturday afternoon. But his dad's angry with him for forgetting to deliver his papers and Abel was caught shoplifting from the local convenience store. And becau ...more
Billy Jepma
Jul 07, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: comics, 2019
I liked this. The story is simple—a young boy and his talking companion run away from an abusive father—but the world building is fun and the art is absolutely breathtaking. The dialogue is also (mostly) strong, but the writing gets too heavy-handed for my tastes. The themes at play here—dysfunctional family life and personal trauma represented as destructive monsters—are great, but Young stresses the point so hard that those themes lose some of their impact.

The supporting cast are also fairly
Jason
Mar 29, 2019 rated it it was amazing
A lot of comics I'm seeking out lately are because of the artist. In this case it is artist turned writer Skottie Young. I love his art and am a huge fan of his imagination and humor ...
But there's a difference between imagination and storytelling ability. Young gives us a great introduction and a wonderful main character to root for but the pacing felt off to me. A lot of action with little breathing room. This first arc definitely has a nice hook and I recommend it if you're a fan of his
Matty J
Aug 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: comics, fantasy
This was a great read, and I'm really interested in seeing where it will go. In comics I tend to take special note of the plot, art, and coloring, and in this, I think all three were handled very successfully. Skottie (I wonder if he knows?) Young's story is an emotional twist to the fantasy quest, and for me it landed very confidently and smartly. Jorge Corona's art has a great energy to it, almost as though he's found a way to somehow deliberately control the frenetic. And finally, I found Bea ...more
Brenda
Jun 25, 2019 rated it really liked it
Straight forward story of a boy named Abel on the run from the terrifying monster his father has transformed into with a clever companion at his side.

The world building is rich and drops you right in without clunky exposition; inside you'll find talking animals, robots, half-formed beasts, magic and monstrous tornadoes. The art is stylized and lends to the fantasy and feeling of the familiar, yet, somewhat surreal setting.

I look forward to reading the next installment.
« previous 1 3 4 next »

• Ascender, Vol. 1: The Haunted Galaxy
  • Crowded, Vol. 1
  • Self/Made
  • Deadly Class, Volume 8: Never Go Back
Skottie Young has been an illustrator and cartoonist for over ten years working for entertainment and publishing companies such Marvel, Warner Bros., Image, Upper Deck, Mattel, and many more.

He is currently illustrating the New York Times Best Selling and Eisner Award Nominated adaptions of L. Frank Baum's OZ novels with writer Eric Shanower. The series has gained acclaim from both fans and criti

Middlewest (1 - 10 of 15 books)
  • Middlewest #1