Start by marking “Middlewest, Book One” as Want to Read:
Middlewest, Book One

Middlewest, Book One

(Middlewest #1-6)

The lands between the coasts are vast, slow to change, and full of hidden magics. The town of Farmington has been destroyed sending an unwitting adventurer and his vulpine companion in search of answers to quell a coming storm that speaks his name. From author SKOTTIE YOUNG (I HATE FAIRYLAND, DEADPOOL) and artist JORGE CORONA (NO. 1 WITH A BULLET, FEATHERS, BIG TROUBLE IN ...more
Published May 28th 2019 by Image Comics

To ask other readers questions about Middlewest, Book One, please sign up.
Sierra maybe teens, the dad is kinda abusive and swears at the son a lot. the dad even tells him his the reason his mom left...
the art makes it look young…more
the art makes it look young but the themes and language are real mature. (less)

Sam Quixote
May 22, 2019 rated it liked it
Abel decides to run away from home and join a travelling carnival of magicians, talking animals and robots because his dad’s an abusive prick – and also a giant wind monster (and not the kind that shows up after eating a plate of beans)! But Abel’s not safe as wind monster dad sets out after him…

As you can probably guess from the premise, Skottie Young and Jorge Corona’s Middlewest is a super-realistic, grim’n’gritty take on growing up. Oh, I do like kidding around don’t I? And I kinda like Mid
James DeSantis
May 26, 2019 rated it liked it
This book is tough one to review.

So it starts off simple enough. Abel lives with an abusive father who beats him and treats him like shit. One day the boy snaps and tells his father to go fuck himself. In this moment his father becomes a giant tornado and destroys the city they live in and Abel runs off. Sounds like a typical coming of age story, huh?

The thing here is that I LOVE, LOVE, LOVEEEEEEE the art. It's probably some of my favorite ever. I also enjoyed the bitter moments with the famil
Holly (Holly Hearts Books)
May 28, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: own
Another graphic novel by Scottie Young. He is just pumping them out now and what a time to be alive. Middlwest is by far my favorite graphic novel so far this year and I really don't see anything topping it.

It follows a young boy named Abel who lives in a small town called Farmington. He lives with his dad who treats him horribly. He is mentally and physically abused by him. One day, Abel gets involved in shoplifting with his friends when he didn't even want to participate. His dad finds out and
Artemy
Apr 03, 2019 rated it really liked it
A beautifully realised YA-ish story with fantasy elements about a kid who runs away from home and his abusive father. Normally a story like this wouldn't really be my thing, but Skottie Young's rock-solid writing and Jorge Corona's sublime artwork made all the difference.
Dani - Perspective of a Writer
description
Check out more reviews @ Perspective of a Writer...

Middlewest book 1 brings together volumes 1-6 of a comic book about the wonderful world of Middlewest, a magic filled, steampunk inspired land riddled with farming communities. Abel is a likeable kid with some not so pleasant people around him. When his abusive dad takes things too far he heads out with Fox, his talking fox, to escape his family history. For a journey story I really fell in love with this world and many of the characters. We get
Rian *fire and books*
Feb 20, 2019 rated it really liked it
This review is based on an arc containing issues #1-#3.

Oh I like this! I’m definitely looking forward to reading the finished copy and continuing this series.

First of all, heads up because I’ve got a trigger warning for you: there’s abuse. There are two instances and they are both a bit of a doozy.

Alrighty moving on! I got some serious Hayao Miyazaki and Treasure Planet vibes from this story! The setting looks like an epic combo of both and I dig it. There’s these massive glass jars with pink
Rory Wilding
May 22, 2019 rated it really liked it
If there is anything that can be classified as a true American fairy tale, it would be The Wonderful Wizard of Oz. The whole purpose of a fairy tale is to be a coming-of-age fantasy, which easily applies to Dorothy Gale and her dog Toto suddenly plunged into a world unlike their Midwestern farm life and learning how to grow up during the course of their adventure. Clearly inspired by that classic story, writer Skottie Young and artist Jorge Corona put their own spin on the American Midwestern fa ...more
Matt Graupman
Jun 09, 2019 rated it really liked it
It’s a familiar childhood refrain: “I’m gonna run away and join the circus!,” usually delivered in a defiant, petulant tone but rarely ever made good on. Except, in Skottie Young’s latest adolescence-is-hard graphic novel, “Middlewest,” his preteen protagonist, Abel, basically does just that. However, he really had no choice. I mean, his abusive storm-monster of a father (literally, he’s a psychotic force of nature) tried to kill him so what else could he do but hook up with his talking fox side ...more
Sierra
May 25, 2019 rated it really liked it
Hold onto your feelings, this ones a wild ride!
(tiger warning: aggressive father figure)

I feel like Skottie Young's novels are sometimes a little deceiving. They usually have some cute and colorful cover with kids and animals front and center. Flipping through it, there are carnivals and candy with lots of brightly colored backgrounds. However, this is not a kids book. I mean the main character is a kid but its not a kids book. This boy Abel has a bad day. A REAL bad day. He wakes up late for h
Jason
Mar 29, 2019 rated it it was amazing
A lot of comics I'm seeking out lately are because of the artist. In this case it is artist turned writer Skottie Young. I love his art and am a huge fan of his imagination and humor ...
But there's a difference between imagination and storytelling ability. Young gives us a great introduction and a wonderful main character to root for but the pacing felt off to me. A lot of action with little breathing room. This first arc definitely has a nice hook and I recommend it if you're a fan of his prior
Isabella
Jan 30, 2019 rated it it was ok
Thanks again to Image and Diamond for providing me with a copy of, another, of Skottie Youngs new comics.

It wasn't my cup of tea, or what I usually read, but I can see why a lot of people would enjoy it.

It has the makings of a beautiful story of how a father and son might reconnect (possible even connect for the first time ever), and about the people who can impersonate supernatural monsters and entities in everyday life and in our society.
Geoffrey Payne
Apr 24, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This book has been fantastic so far. The art is stellar and the world building has felt really organic and hasn’t gotten in the way of telling a great character driven story. Young’s writing is great and instantly connected me with the his characters. Definitely don’t sleep on this one. 5 out of 5!
May 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I’m a big fan of Skottie Young and his stories of small people in big places. Middlewest captured me from the beginning. I’ll be sticking with this one.
Dee Jane
Jun 03, 2019 rated it really liked it
Very interesting story. I wonder what will become of abel in book two. I can't wait
Adam Stone
May 20, 2019 rated it it was ok
I'm a huge fan of Skottie Young's art, but I'm starting to realize that I don't enjoy his writing very much. This is another dark fantasy book that feels YAish but has language that would keep me from recommending it to parents unless I knew them really well.

The focus of this story is an emotionally and physically abused middle-school age kid whose father turns into a literal storm. And he's afraid that's he's destined to become a storm, too.

He and his talking sarcastic talking fox friend then e
Theediscerning
Apr 09, 2019 rated it liked it
Three and a half stars.

A reasonable start to this fantasy series. Steampunk elements include everything seemingly powered by a reservoir of glowing pink gunk attached to it. Fantasy elements include the boy with his talking fox, and of course his father turning out at the end of issue one to have the ability to turn into a vengeful hurricane. How much of that is in the hero of the piece, as he seeks advice from a carnie, and perhaps his missing mother? The artwork is very much down with the S Yo
Brett Schutt
Jun 07, 2019 rated it it was amazing
The story stars a kid who lives in farmland area in the Middlewest. He has a pretty normal life as a paper boy but unfortunately has an abusive father situation. One day the two explode at each other and become actual storms. Both can havocs tornados with strong anger and can completely demolish something. The kid gets separated by his father and goes on a journey with a taking fox to figure out what power is being harnessed in his repressed emotional state.
I know it sounds somewhat ridiculous,
Ajomo Baker
Jun 16, 2019 rated it really liked it
Paul Decker
May 08, 2019 rated it really liked it
*I received this book as an eARC from Image Comics via Edelweiss. I voluntarily read and reviewed an advanced copy of this book. All thoughts and opinions are my own.*

This book starts out with a boy and his paper route, but there's more to this world than there seems. There's differences from the expected. Weird pink tanks attached to every building. A talking fox. There is no info-dumping in this story. I have no idea what this world is, and I love it. It's definitely giving me Wizard of Oz vib
Joseph
May 27, 2019 rated it really liked it
I know Skottie Young as the guy who is currently writing my least favorite run on Deadpool. I don't think it's his fault though, I think that Marvel has certain things they want him to do and it's a shame they don't just let him fly free because his creator-owned book "Middlewest" is one of the best things I've read in years. I think the trade should have included at least one more issue because it ends on a bit of a cliffhanger but oh well, guess I'm going to have to hunt down the floppies. Com ...more
Ryan Trepanier
I picked this up on a complete whim, with no expectations or knowledge about what I was getting into. I'm glad I took this chance. Middlewest is a nice, enjoyable fantastical story with a bit of a tragic backstory. It's fun and easy to read, and while the writing at times is compact and convenient to the point you notice it, the journey you're on with the main characters is really the thing I was focused on and enjoying.

I would definitely recommend this for something lighter and easier on your
Jen
Jun 14, 2019 rated it really liked it
This is such a strange and wonderful read! I love the fact that the story draws you in without a lot of exposition--you just have to take what's going on at face value. That includes talking foxes and a guy with some serious anger issues. It feels a lot like HBO's series Carnivale, and that's a good thing. It's surreal, but relatable. Definitely one I'll be following.

And I actually stumbled upon the artist (Jorge Corona) at Pop Culture Con in Denver. He's a really nice guy ;)
Shannon Appelcline
It's modern urban fantasy (but not very fantasy). It's the YA story of a boy going on a journey (and perhaps too Y and not A enough). It's a meandering story about running away from home, without too much else going for it.

Overall, an entirely OK book until you get to the end, which is a super-annoying cliffhanger.
spacecowboytx
The art is amazing but that’s about all. The story lost me halfway through, too much jumble, the characters are ok but also just another version of Oz it felt like... all just my opinion but I won’t be reading past book one.

Also the father is a grade a Butt head.... just wanted to say not many characters get me upset but he did
Billie
Feb 23, 2019 rated it really liked it
Gorgeous, gorgeous, gorgeous art and an emotionally impactful story combine to make this a new favorite. I'm not going to go all crazy and start buying single issues, but I will definitely be snapping up future volumes.
Nicolas Hall
Jun 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This story had me from the first issue/chapter. A wonderful comic that I hope will be around for a few years to come. Lovely art and a compelling story. . . And a talking fox. Who could ask for more?
Štěpán Tichý
Dec 14, 2018 rated it it was amazing
First issue. Fresh, new little-prince vibes-like, beautiful art with spectacular facial expressions. Great colouring. Even though it is a little bit kid-friendly this might be my new favourite book.
Collin Reynolds
Nov 26, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Fantastic start to magic in the time and lands of my youth. I am looking forward to this series!
Justin
Jun 16, 2019 rated it it was ok
This has potential but the story didn't go very far and ended on a cliff hanger. Two ingredients that usually turn me away from continuing a series after the first volume.
Jason
May 24, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Gorgeous and heart breaking, as a father, this one hits me real hard. Right in the feels. Extraordinary.
Skottie Young has been an illustrator and cartoonist for over ten years working for entertainment and publishing companies such Marvel, Warner Bros., Image, Upper Deck, Mattel, and many more.

He is currently illustrating the New York Times Best Selling and Eisner Award Nominated adaptions of L. Frank Baum's OZ novels with writer Eric Shanower. The series has gained acclaim from both fans and criti

Middlewest (1 - 10 of 12 books)
  • Middlewest #1