Start by marking “Splinters of Scarlet” as Want to Read:
Splinters of Scarlet

Splinters of Scarlet

A YA historical fantasy set in nineteenth-century Denmark, where secrets can kill and magic is a deadly gift.

For Marit Olsen, magic is all about strategy: it flows freely through her blood, but every use leaves behind a deadly, ice-like build-up within her veins called the Firn. Marit knows how dangerous it is to let too much Firn build up—after all, it killed her sister—a
Published July 21st 2020 by HMH Books For Young Readers

To ask other readers questions about Splinters of Scarlet, please sign up.
Jaime There's a romantic relationship between the main character, Marit, and another character, but it isn't the focus of the story.…moreThere's a romantic relationship between the main character, Marit, and another character, but it isn't the focus of the story.(less)
Emily Murphy Yes! SPLINTERS OF SCARLET is a stand-alone story.

Start your review of Splinters of Scarlet
Kayla
Apr 24, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I loved Emily Bain Murphy's debut, The Disappearances, so I was super excited to find out she had another book in the works. Full disclosure, Emily is one of my very best friends—but my love for her first book was one of the things that made me want to *become* good friends with her. I had the joy of seeing an early version of Splinters of Scarlet and of watching Emily diligently work for years at chiseling away and refining it—when I finally got my hands on the ARC to read the product of all he ...more
Allison
Aug 16, 2020 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
2.5/5

I feel so weird about having an unpopular opinion about this book, but I just didn't like it. It was just so boring and average, and there was nothing in this book that kept me compelled to read even more.

The entire book follows a girl named Marit who is attempting to solve the murder mystery of how her father and the hundreds of people working in the mines were killed. Throughout the story, she gets closer and closer to the Vestergaard family, whom she suspects. I feel like this concept c
Allison Tebo
Oct 08, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fantasy
Five shining, shining stars.

Hannah Williams, you did it to me again: recommended a book to me that sliced through my heart and caused tears to flow. Thank you - it was beautiful, and I did love it, as you thought I would.
Katerina  Kondrenko
7 out of 10

Not sure why this read didn't turn out to be as awesome as The Disappearances. It's a unique and magical story, with touching moments, kind messages, a beautiful atmosphere, but we didn't click.

However, I'd recommend it to anyone who loves creative concepts (here, we if you use magic you can die from a mysterious illness), unusual settings (Denmark), character depth, fast pacing, grey moral, and such.

This book is similar to its predecessor, in many ways from characters and how t
E.F.B.
*Note: I listened to this on audio, therefore I haven't the least clue how to spell a few characters names. Please excuse any misspellings.

This book popped up on my radar once or twice as I saw people talking about it on Instagram, but I didn't think anything about it until multiple friends recommended it. Even then, I went into it having no idea if I would like it or not since I hadn't read much like it. (Nadine Brandes's Fawkes might be the closest comparison I've read that I can think of and
Permanently_Booked
Jul 16, 2020 rated it it was amazing
“Life itself is the most wonderful fairy tale.”

Murphy you have a new fan. I have to admit that the cover is what drew me in. Didn’t even look at the synopsis just saw the magical words “YA Historical fiction” and knew I wanted to read this beauty.

This was everything I needed it to be. In Denmark in the 19th century magic is seen as an infliction. As magic is used it leaves behind an ice-like build-up in the veins called the Firn. After the loss of her father and sister, Marit befriends Eve at t
♠ Tabi⁷ ♠
Oct 30, 2019 marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: netgalley
I keep thinking this is The Madness Blooms because the covers look the same ahaha

The Madness Blooms by Mackenzi Lee
H.S.J. Williams
Absolutely gorgeous. Also, best food descriptions I’ve read in a while. So long as one can stomach a pretty intense and violent climax, I recommend this to basically everyone. Full review to come soon!
Ashleigh
Apr 23, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I received an e-arc of this book from Netgalley in exchange for an honest review*

I don’t even know where to start. I feel like my words have left me. This book was absolutely AMAZING! Emily Bain Murphy captivated me from the very first page. I love the setting which is 19th Century Denmark. The way that Emily described everything, it felt so tangible. The imagery is so lush and vivid. The main character of the story is Marit Olsen, and I head over heels fell in love with her. I could definitely
Kulwinder Singh
Aug 07, 2020 rated it liked it
Shelves: fantasy, historical
“𝙄 𝙡𝙞𝙠𝙚 𝙜𝙡𝙖𝙨𝙨 𝙗𝙚𝙨𝙩. 𝙂𝙡𝙖𝙨𝙨 𝙞𝙨 𝙛𝙧𝙖𝙜𝙞𝙡𝙚 𝙗𝙪𝙩 𝙨𝙩𝙧𝙤𝙣𝙜. 𝙄𝙩 𝙖𝙡𝙡𝙤𝙬𝙨 𝙪𝙨 𝙩𝙤 𝙨𝙚𝙚 𝙩𝙝𝙧𝙤𝙪𝙜𝙝 𝙩𝙝𝙚 𝙬𝙖𝙡𝙡𝙨 𝙬𝙚’𝙫𝙚 𝙗𝙪𝙞𝙡𝙩 𝙖𝙧𝙤𝙪𝙣𝙙 𝙪𝙨. 𝙄𝙩 𝙣𝙚𝙫𝙚𝙧 𝙘𝙖𝙡𝙡𝙨 𝙖𝙩𝙩𝙚𝙣𝙩𝙞𝙤𝙣 𝙩𝙤 𝙞𝙩𝙨𝙚𝙡𝙛 𝙗𝙪𝙩 𝙖𝙡𝙬𝙖𝙮𝙨 𝙩𝙤 𝙬𝙝𝙖𝙩’𝙨 𝙗𝙚𝙮𝙤𝙣𝙙 𝙞𝙩. 𝙄𝙩 𝙘𝙖𝙣 𝙥𝙧𝙤𝙩𝙚𝙘𝙩 𝙩𝙝𝙞𝙣𝙜𝙨 𝙛𝙧𝙤𝙢 𝙙𝙖𝙢𝙖𝙜𝙚. 𝘼𝙣𝙙 𝙮𝙚𝙩, 𝙬𝙝𝙚𝙣 𝙮𝙤𝙪 𝙖𝙧𝙚𝙣’𝙩 𝙘𝙖𝙧𝙚𝙛𝙪𝙡 𝙬𝙞𝙩𝙝 𝙞𝙩, 𝙬𝙖𝙩𝙘𝙝 𝙤𝙪𝙩.”

I loved the mystery aspect of this book and the setting. Everything else... not so much.

RTC
The Nerd Daily
Jul 30, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Originally published on The Nerd Daily | Review by Laura Erne

Splinters of Scarlet is the latest standalone from Emily Bain Murphy and many have deemed it ‘Downton Abbey with magic’ and you know what? That’s pretty accurate. This book has a vast array of characters that showcase the upstairs/downstairs divide commonly found in the 19th and early 20th centuries. This is a story that focuses on Marit Olsen, an orphan with a magical ability that allows her to excel as a seamstress. This isn’t a stor
Vee
Sep 13, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
[Review Copy Provided by Pushkin Press, my review is unbiased]
Wordpress Blog | Twitter | Pinterest

📗 Buddy read with Lily @ Home For The Lost! We both read this in 5 chapter chunks at a time which worked really well for remembering plot details when we got back to each other. We were really surprised at just how good this book was.

📕 I've been reading a lot of fantasy lately, and not all of it good. What caught my attention about this story is that it's set in Denmark, and the magic itself is usef
Set in the 19th Century Denmark, Splinters of Scarlets weaves magic, fairytales, and mystery - redeeming it a pretty fun read.

What I like:

+ The writing style: the sensory details and the magic jumped right out
+ I found the concept really cool and I think the fairytale / magical elements worked really well
+ Pretty solid characterisation. I think Marit's headspace is pretty well fleshed out.
+ I'm subjective here but I love the Christmas & wintry vibes! It feels really cozy and it's brimming with
Meigan
Emily Bain Murphy is pure magic. I fell head over heels in love with her first book, THE DISAPPEARANCES, and have been waiting for something new from her ever since. And the wait was worth it because Murphy delivered another gorgeously magical book with SPLINTERS OF SCARLET.

Set in 19th century Denmark, SPLINTERS OF SCARLET was a delightful exploration of sisterhood and family, which centers around magic, ballet, gems, and, fittingly, Hans Christian Andersen. Marit and Eve come from the same orp
Stay Fetters
Jul 27, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
"I like glass best. Glass is fragile but strong. It allows us to see through the walls we’ve built around us. It never calls attention to itself but always to what’s beyond it. It can protect things from damage. And yet, when you aren’t careful with it, watch out!”

Can you believe it? I’ve had this book sitting in my book closet since January and it took me six months to pick it up. What is wrong with me?

I’m usually one to say, not to judge a book by its cover but I’m guilty as hell by doing tha
Anna Priemaza
Jul 18, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Emily's books are a light in the darkness. And by that I mean that they are the light and darkness, both.

The brilliant, unique worlds Emily creates are dark--with sinister plots, treachery, and, in this case, magic that literally turns the veins to ice. But her books are also full of characters who, while flawed and imperfect, are motivated by love and caring and goodness. Combining this with her beautiful writing makes scenes and characters sparkle like tiny stars in the black night sky.

This li
Bryn Shutt
Jul 24, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: best-books
5 glorious stars to this story!! Mystery, murder, magic and food!! Oh, the food.

Downton Abbey meets Frozen in this powerful story about greed, corruption and fear set against the power of friendship, forgiveness and sacrifice.

"We both know well how concerned some people can be with what we look like on the outside. But we have to make sure we don't start to look like them on the inside."

I highly recommend this lush epic to those who love vivid settings, gorgeous writing and beautiful arcs of fri
Kimberly
Aug 08, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I loved everything about this book - historic Denmark, unique magic, and a compelling mystery. Emily Bain Murphy is an amazing writer and I truly enjoy meeting her characters and exploring her worlds. Cannot wait to read what she writes next.
Hannah
Oct 13, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2020-favourites
I absolutely adored this book! Everything about it was just magical✨
I will be posting my review soon
Moon
Sep 08, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This had such a fairytale feel and the magic was refreshing and intriguing. I loved the dancing and sewing elemtns and the intirgue of the jewels, all the intrigue was great.
Diana Bautista
Aug 16, 2020 marked it as dnf
July 21, 2020 – August 16, 2020

I loved The Disappearances, but I'm not feeling this one right now.
Might return later.
Angela Cuéllar
Jul 08, 2020 rated it it was amazing
pooled ink Reviews:

Thank you to the publisher for sending me a copy to review!
Check out my tour stop with Emily Bain Murphy writing a guest post here !
4.5 Stars

Emily Bain Murphy simply has a way of spinning prose and turning phrase that pulls me under, lulling me into a story with a gentle rhythm both magical and exciting. I genuinely enjoyed reading her debut novel The Disappearances and so I was eager to get my hands on a copy of her latest work. Splinters of Scarlet is a mysterious tal
Willow Rosenberg
Dec 29, 2019 marked it as 2020-releases
A book set in Copenhagen!! I love it because that's where I live! ...more
Annette
Sep 20, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: bookbox-books
Stupid me! I got this book in the Book Box Club, but I missed the buddy read because I forgot my book when I traveled to my parents. However, since the author chat is only in a few days I was back right in time to catch up and this morning in bed was the perfect time to do so. From the moment I got this book in my box I was quite excited about this story. It hadn't been on my radar, but it sounded like something for me.

And I was totally right about that! Although there are a few things I would h
Carrie ReadingtoKnow
I feel like I'm going to be the ultimate Debbie Downer with this one. I wanted to like it. I fully expected to. But it just fell flat.

I think the story idea was a good and interesting one. It's a magical fantasy with a strong female lead and it rather wants to be liked. However, I didn't feel as if the story was executed as well as it could be. When the story should have been coming together and tightening up, it still felt lacking. The conclusion of it was hasty and full of quick explanations.
Abbie
Nov 30, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy, magic, orphans
Emily Bain Murphy's stand-alone fantasy novel is an interesting take on the world of magic. There is always a cost for those who use magic but rarely is it so severe as early death for a natural ability. Nineteenth century Denmark is also an unusual setting for a fantasy novel, and I enjoyed the setting as well as the mystery of the mines. Recommended for fantasy fans.

Read more at Bookish Adventures.
Michelle
Sep 08, 2020 rated it liked it
2.5

This one took me so long to read but to be fair I think it was mainly my reading taste. I got this in a subscription box and that's why I read this one. I'm just really fussy about the genre I read and although magic did play a main role in this one it felt like I was reading a historic fantasy.
Shay
Sep 29, 2020 rated it it was amazing
What a beautiful, and interesting story. The imagery was fantastic, and the clues and foreshadowing were stunning. If you pay attention, the answers are right there, waiting for you to put them together.

Fantastic, magical, dark...everything you could want.
Kay  C
Sep 03, 2020 rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed this book. I was drawn in to this book from the start. I really enjoyed the friendship between Marit and Eve.
I was so intrigued on Emily's take on magic.
TheFreckledWriter
First Thoughts:
Holy cow I loved this book...Review to come!!

Official Review:

I stumbled across this title in a 2020 release post and was instantly captured by the pitch. Little did I know that this book would not only become my favorite read of 2020, but one of my most favorite books of all time. "Splinters of Scarlet" by Emily Bain Murphy is pitched as Downton Abbey meets Frozen which not only sold me on reading this book, but it's actually an amazing representation on what the book is like.

Set
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
Preorder Campaigns: Splinters of Scarlet Postcard Before 7/20/20 1 3 Jun 06, 2020 06:23PM

• Into Thin Air: A Personal Account of the Mount Everest Disaster
  • The Mall
  • The Last True Poets of the Sea
  • The Shadows Between Us
  • On a Sunbeam
  • Loveboat, Taipei (Loveboat, Taipei, #1)
  • Boy Kings of Texas: A Memoir
  • Mooncakes
  • The Southern Book Club's Guide to Slaying Vampires
  • The Unspoken Name (The Serpent Gates #1)
  • Glow of the Fireflies
  • Rest in the Mourning
  • In the Hall with the Knife (Clue Mystery, #1)
Emily Bain Murphy was born in Indiana and raised in Hong Kong and Japan. She graduated from Tufts University and has also called Massachusetts, Connecticut, and California home.

Murphy is the author of The Disappearances, which was a Bank Street Best Children’s Book of the Year, an ALAN Pick, and shortlisted for the Waterstone’s Book Prize. Splinters of Scarlet, Murphy’s second YA historical fanta