Start by marking “Your Life Is Mine” as Want to Read:
Your Life Is Mine

Your Life Is Mine

Ripley's title was the slogan of heroine Blanche Potter's father, who went on a shooting spree in a California shopping mall in 1996. He took Blanche, his then-seven-year-old daughter, with him, insuring that Blanche would be forever traumatized. Blanche has moved mountains to escape her past, cutting off past relationships, becoming a documentary filmmaker, and forever gu ...more
Published June 4th 2019 by Atria Books

To ask other readers questions about Your Life Is Mine, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Your Life Is Mine

Start your review of Your Life Is Mine
megs_bookrack
Nov 29, 2018 rated it it was ok
Shelves: arcs-read
**2.5-stars**

Blanche Potter is a documentary filmmaker. She lives a quiet life with one good friend, a surrogate mother and a horrifying past.

Her long-dead father, Chuck Varner, was an infamous spree killer, who also happened to be the leader of a death cult. Needless to say, his legacy has left a lasting impression on Blanche.

Preaching a philosophy he termed, Your Life Is Mine, Chuck hopes that Blanche will one day take over as the cult's leader.

Blanche never believed in her parent's philosop
Chelsea Humphrey
I'm just going to keep this one short, sweet, and to the point. If you haven't read many psychological thrillers, you'll likely enjoy Your Life Is Mine more than I did. There's absolutely nothing wrong with this book; overall, I'd give it a "fine" stamp of approval, but I think the over-saturation of the market in this genre has made it more difficult to engage, surprise, and captivate readers. A slow burn with fairly predictable twists, but still an interesting read.

*Many thanks to the publish
Lisa
Mar 30, 2019 rated it really liked it
My thanks to Atria books and Netgalley.
I'm just going to start here and tell you that if you've not read and got the freaking weirdness that is Mr. Nathan Ripley, then just dont. If you are someone who can't accept the very strange, and have a problem just saying "dude, that's weird"and moving on, then this is not your groove. Mr. Ripley is weird. His books are weird. His shit gives me the creeps. I like the creeps. Alot! More!
My thanks to Atria books and Netgalley. Mostly, thanks to Mr. RIple
Jasmine from How Useful It Is
This book is a great read! A bit of a slow start but got interesting with the twist on Blanche’s mom and many unexpected surprises and twists I didn’t see coming to different characters including Blanche. The killer’s strategy is good and creative when involving many people. I like following Detective Pargiter’s view. He has some humor and seems realistic. I like the ending. I like the diversity as well.

This book is told in the first person point of view following Blanche. The story started out
Helen Power
Synopsis
Blanche Potter is more than just a documentary film-maker.  She’s the daughter of infamous mass murderer and cult-leader Chuck Varner. Blanche wants nothing more than to leave her past behind her, but when her mother is murdered, she’s forced to return home.  She must go back to the place where it all began, and she fears that her father’s followers are only getting started...

Plot
This book is slow paced at the start. Ripley provides a lot of description of the setting and Bl
Helga
May 07, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: netgalley, mystery, crime
Your Life Is Mine is a bit different from the usual crime/thriller. A little slow, but engaging and well written.

Blanche Potter’s father was Chuck Varner, the notorious cult leader who after shooting several people at a mall right in front of his 7 year old daughter, ends his own life.
Years have passed since that incident and Blanche has built a new life for herself. A life in which her deranged father and mother don’t exist. A new start. A new city. A new name.
Until she is approached by a jou
Kendall
Apr 21, 2019 rated it liked it
Cults are my ultimate fascination in books! I was so excited to read this!!

I am wondering if I should have read the first by this author... since it appears those that read it enjoyed it a little more with the background of the first.

I found this extremely difficult to get into and almost DNFed this book to be honest. My interest was completely not on the book and was bored. I couldn't get into the characters which was crazy to me since Blanche the daughter of a cult killer is the main punch li
Zoe
May 02, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
3.5 Stars!

Slow burning, dark, and dangerous!

Your Life is Mine is an eerie, enthralling, domestic thriller that delves into the gritty, manipulative world of cults and the disturbing ideology that underlies their radicalism, extremism, and violence.

The prose is sinister and intense. The characters are single-minded, scarred, and conflicted. And the plot told from the first-person point of view, is a menacing tale about power, deception, control, lies, secrets, paranoia, abuse, obsession, jealousy
Jay G
Jul 31, 2019 rated it liked it
Want to see more bookish things from me? Check out my youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCfer...

*I received a copy from the publisher in exchange for my honest review*

3.5/5 Stars

Blanche Potter has been avoiding her past since her father, the notorious cult leader, Chuck Varner, shot and killed multiple people in 1996 before turning the gun on himself. Years later, Blanche is a successful film creator but has just discovered her mother has been murdered and there is more to the st
Tucker  (TuckerTheReader)

Many thanks to Atria Books for sending me a copy in exchange for an honest review

| Goodreads | Blog | Pinterest | LinkedIn | YouTube | Instagram
Mandy White (mandylovestoread)
Your Life Is Mine by Nathan Ripley is a dark and disturbing story of cults and mass murders. It is not an easy book to read and I did struggle to engage in the story. It was slow and confusing in the beginning and did take me a while to finish it. I did not hate it but I can't say that I would read it again.

Blanche Potter can't escape her past, no matter how hard she tries. When she was little her cult leader father Chuck Varner went on a shooting spree before killing himself. Now Blanche has f
Donna Davis
3.5 rounded up.

Last spring, author Nathan Ripley set the world on fire with his sinister debut novel, Find You in the Dark, and so I could hardly wait to read his new release. Big thanks go to Net Galley and Atria for the review copy. Although this psychological thriller is a solid effort, there is an unevenness of quality that holds it back.

The opening is strong, both urgent and original:

"Before a shooter is a shooter, he’s just a man in a room. It’s what follows that brings the background to
Laura • lauralovestoread
Just finished reading Your Life is Mine, and I’m still processing all the things. I’ll start by saying that I’ve got a thing for reading about cults. I guess I’m always curious about them, and wondering the makings of a cult leader.

I was interested in the concept of Your Life is Mine, and the cultish beliefs that led to the mass shootings at a mall by none other than the cult leader, Chuck Varner.

This book is grisly and dark, but it fell a bit flat for me. I’ll chalk it up to say that maybe I’
Marianne
3.5★s
Your Life is Mine is the second novel by Canadian author, Nathan Ripley. Renowned documentary maker Blanche Potter has spent the last twelve years avoiding all mention of her father. In 1996, Chuck Varner killed nine people in a shooting spree in the Harlow Mall in Stilford, California, before turning the gun on himself. Known to few is that he took along Blanche, then seven years old, to witness this.

Now, over twenty years later, Blanche learns that her estranged mother, Crissy, another d
Lynne Lambdin
Cults are like cupcakes for me. I simply will not pass up an opportunity to eat a cupcake or read about a cult. The idea that an average man can convince others to believe in their word like the Messiah is so mind boggling and completely fucked that I don’t think my appetite will ever be satiated (also applicable to cupcakes). Nathan Ripley played into the idea of cults, but from the perspective of the leader’s child. An interesting yet not completely original take.

Your life is Mine starts off
Trisha
Mar 16, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
"We believed it. We chose his world every day that he was gone, every day that we didn't have to: we followed his code. The code he called Your Life Is Mine."

This was a pretty good book. A true crime documentary duo is rocked when one girl finds out her mom has died. It's her mother and she needs to go back home and see her. But it's not because she's sad or even upset her mother is dead. No, she needs to make sure she is.

Blanche was raised by a terrorist - a terrorist that planned and complete
Bandit
Feb 26, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Nathan Ripley’s debut thriller didn’t really wow me. I don’t actually remember the fine details, but a revisit of my original review suggested that it was heavy on unrealized potential and the plotting wasn’t as good as the writing. But it entertained. It entertained enough to download Ripley’s sophomore effort without even reading a plot summary. Although to be honest, had I read the plot summary, it would have had me at cults. So yeah, either way I would have read it. And I’m very happy to rep ...more
Sonica
Jun 10, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Thank you Simon & Schuster Canada for my copy of Your Life is Mine, in exchange for my honest review.  This title released June 4.

Blanche Potter has created a new life for herself - changed her name, moved far away from the nightmare of her childhood and has become quite successful as a documentary film maker.  But the past never really stays in the past does it ?  Especially when your own father was a cult leader and mass murderer...

A slow burn that was as dark as it was entertaining, and let m
Achour
Jun 22, 2019 rated it did not like it
Shelves: e-books, rec, abandoned
I had lots of difficulties to engage in the story.

It was a very difficult reading. I have been attracted when reading the summary description but definitely it was not the kind of story I have expected.

I have fought a lot to continue reading. I unfortunately stopped and I put down the book just after the few first pages because things went into a totally different direction. The plot is unbelievable, full of violence and chaotic.
The characters are confusing and not realistic.

As it is not the kin
Marc Bougharios
This novel is released on June 4th 2019.

I read Ripley's Find You In The Dark and while it was a nice mystery, it wasn't the strongest one I read. I decided to give Ripley another shot and recieved a copy of Your Life is Mine. Another nice mystery that had its shocking moments.

The plot was very interesting and I enojoyed how it was told in the past and the present because we got to see Blanche (her alias) as a kid and what she went through when she was younger, and then we get to see he
Carley
Mar 03, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2019
This had me at cults.

I was raised with too much knowledge of the Manson Family so I've become fascinated by cults. The author did a nice job of fleshing out Chuck and his beliefs (I enjoyed the chaos theory). I was expecting more of a psychological thriller but it really was about Blanche and her psyche. It was an interesting journey into Blanche's mind and it had me engrossed from the beginning.

Thank you NetGalley for an advance reader's copy of this book to review.
Susan
Jun 09, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: netgalley
There is nothing more terrifying than mass shootings. Real life is much more disturbing than made up monsters and serial killers. In a shooting you can’t fight back or try to reason with the killer. You are completely at their mercy. It’s a difficult subject to read about and I’m sure it’s a minefield for writers. In “Your Life is Mine” we spend a lot of time with one of these shooters (Chuck) and the cult-like group of boys, plus his wife, that admire him and want to be just like him. All of Ch ...more
Jenny Brown
May 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Oh my gosh Nathan
Kim
Main protagonist Blanche thought she’d put the past and the memory of her father’s crimes behind her, but they’ve come back full force. She’s a dynamic character, full of depth and her strong personality and relationships are well executed. Nathan Ripley’s descriptive writing draws you in. He divulges secrets and backstory at all the right moments, leading the reader to the intense, page-turning conclusion.

More than just a fast-paced thriller, YOUR LIFE IS MINE delves into the real horror of ma
Mary S. R.
Mar 31, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Mary by: Lisa
4 STARS!

I was promised a weird, suspenseful psychological thriller assessing crime and tackling dark themes, and I was not disappointed! I honestly could not put it down.

Sure, the mystery could've been handed better so that the reveal would be more satisfying, but it wasn't about the mystery, it was about chaos and faith and control and the grey logic of murderers. Though I do believe the author could have made the arguments even more convincing, and generally developed the ideas more, made the
Kris - My Novelesque Life
RATING: 3 STARS
2019; Atria Books

The creepy amazing cover with an even more intriguing synopsis had me clamouring to read Your Life is Mine. Unfortunately, it did not live up to the hype I had in my head. It just wasn't as suspenseful as I thought it would be. I was expecting this to be gritty and dark and it was just okay. This is my first novel by Nathan Ripley but I would try hie first book, or a future one. I have heard great things about Find You in the Dark so we will see.

***I received a co
Laura (crofteereader)
Thank you to NetGalley and Atria books for this copy in exchange for my honest feedback. All opinions are my own.

This book was not for me. I was intrigued by the premise: the child of a murder-cult leader grows up trying to distance herself from her infamous father and discovers, with the death of her mother, that her father's cult is being revived in a very large and violent way. But I think it was Blanche's story that intrigued me, not the cult itself (I never really got a handle on the purpos
Yvonne (It's All About Books)

Finished reading: May 20th 2019

"Before a shooter is a shooter, he's just a man in a room."

*** A copy of this book was kindly provided to me by Netgalley and Atria Books in exchange for an honest review. Thank you! ***

(view spoiler)
Kat Dietrich

Your Life Is Mine by Nathan Ripley is a psychological thriller.

First, let me thank NetGalley, the publishers Simon & Schuster and Atria Books, and of course the author, for providing me with a copy of this book in exchange for an honest review. All opinions are my own.

My Synopsis: (No major reveals, but if concerned, skip to My Opinions)
Blanche Potter has tried to get on with her life. Her career as a filmmaker is taking off. But she can’t out-run the past. Changing her name, moving, h
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »

• Wherever She Goes
  • Hideaway
  • The Killing Circle
  • The Retreat
  • The Last Resort
  • The Poison Garden
  • We All Fall Down
  • Heaven, My Home (Highway 59 #2)
  • Mother Knows Best