Start by marking “The Passengers” as Want to Read:
The Passengers

The Passengers

4.09  ·  Rating details ·  11,910 ratings  ·  2,235 reviews

Eight self-drive cars set on a collision course. Who lives, who dies? You decide.

The new gripping page-turning thriller from the bestselling author of THE ONE - soon to be a major Netflix series.

When someone hacks into the systems of eight self-drive cars, their passengers are set on a fatal collision course.

The passengers are: a TV star, a pregnant young

Published April 1st 2019 by Ebury Digital

To ask other readers questions about The Passengers, please sign up.
Eiain Open up a UK Amazon account, and purchase it through Kindle. You will need to read it on a computer, tablet or phone as your Kindle will be registered…moreOpen up a UK Amazon account, and purchase it through Kindle. You will need to read it on a computer, tablet or phone as your Kindle will be registered to your US account.

Brilliant book and since the UK government has now decided that all cars need to be electric in the next 10 years, autonomous cars will be next, and with this John Marrs' story may end up to be fact and not fiction.(less)
Claire Some of the characters are married or dating.
Some of the characters are married or dating.
There is nothing more romantically explicit than kissing, however there are graphic descriptions of terrorist acts of violence(less)

·  11,910 ratings  ·  2,235 reviews

Start your review of The Passengers
Chelsea Humphrey
Now Available!

One of the reasons I'm drawn to everything that John Marrs writes is that he takes the mundane and gives it a soapy spin. I mean this as the highest of compliments, because there's nothing I adore more than a unique idea that's brimming with drama, and I like for my psychological thrillers to contain not only the traditional aspects of crime fiction, but also the secrets hidden by our characters that pertain to their daily lives. I was slightly worried going into this one that the
myra
Apr 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
This was so good, I couldn’t put this book down. Took one break in between to eat and went straight back reading. Can’t remember the last time i finished a book in one day. John Marrs had me shook!

The plot twist in the end, my god. This is the first book that i have read by Mr. Marrs and I’m definitely going to give his other books a try.

It’s better if you read The Passengers without knowing what the story is about. I think that it will make it more enjoyable. At least, for me it was.
Anyway, I
Deanna
My reviews can also be seen at: https://deesradreadsandreviews.wordpr...

What an awesome read!

Self-driving cars have recently become the norm in England. Their government has pledged that soon all of England’s roads will be a completely autonomous network and that all manual vehicles will be banned within the next ten years.

The first character/passenger we meet is twenty-six year old, Claire Arden. Claire was fascinated when her car delivered itself to her house a few weeks ago. However, the fa
Dita
May 31, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
"It may have come to your attention that your vehicle is no longer under your management. From here on in, I am in charge of your destination. The only thing you need to know is that two hours and thirty minutes from now, it is highly likely that you will be dead."

In the not too distant future, eight automated vehicles are taken over by an unknown hacker with an unknown agenda...all broadcast for the whole world to see. Soon, the social media voting begins. Who lives? Who dies?

Spending time in
Nilufer Ozmekik
Five billions, need an urgent brain transplant cause my old one is just blown away and out of order stars!!!
My head still hurts like I tossed it against the wall thousand times and I started to see cartoon stars on my head as soon as I finish this one! I cannot say I’m speechless because I forgot four languages I’ve known ( including my native one) right now so I’m out of words.
This is so revolutionary, innovative, creative book makes you think a lot, thrill a lot and numb your mind! It makes m
Mary Beth
Sep 30, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
4.5 stars!

Libby is called to serve as a juror and has to decide which passenger should survive along with other jurors. Then the public has to decide too. This is set in the future with driverless cars. You just program the car where to go and the car takes you there.

There are eight driverless cars and the passengers find out that their cars are hacked and that they are set on a fatal collision course.

The passengers speak for themselves and tells the jurors and the public why they should be s
Norma
We are so excited to share with you all that John Marrs is going to be joining us in our Behind the Pages group. Who else loves his books? Please follow the link below which takes you directly to the page to ask John a question or to leave him a comment.

Please add your comments or any questions to John here:

Holy Shooty Balls!!! Gripping, chilling, & absolutely unputdownable!

THE PASSENGERS by JOHN MARRS is an engrossing, chilling, suspenseful, dark, disturb
Kaceey
Jun 07, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: buddy-read, edelweiss
4.5*
It’s dark, it’s disturbing, it’s chilling. Yup, all that combined means you have an absolute must read!

We’re beginning to see major advances in driver-less car technology. Now even being test driven across North America and all over the world.
So I’ll pose the question we’re all thinking - Can you picture yourself as a passenger, with no control over your vehicle whatsoever? No brakes, no steering wheel. And it’s not like leading technologies have ever back-fired, right?
So if something goes
Julie
Oct 01, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2019
The Passengers by John Marrs is a 2019 Berkley Books publication.

An unrelenting techno-thriller!!

Set in the not so distant future, Britain has made driverless cars mandatory. Not only that there are no longer manual overrides, placing the passenger at the total mercy of technology. When there is an accident a jury is called in to judge who was at fault. Let’s just say they had better not rule against the car.

Despite the claim the autonomous car is the safest choice for all concerned, one mornin
jessica
Oct 10, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
ive said it before - JM has no competition when it comes to sci-fi thrillers/mysteries. he could give ‘black mirror’ a run for its money.

while this wasnt exactly the story i thought it would be, i still really enjoyed it. it brings up a lot of important discussions regarding tech and science, specifically AI, and the morality (or lack thereof) of it. it explores interesting points i hadnt previously considered, and made the story feel that much more realistic, that much more scary.

i also reall
megs_bookrack
May 08, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: arcs-read
The Passengers is a nonstop thrill ride; a Techno-Thriller to beat all Techno-Thrillers.

My first John Marrs novel gets a very solid two thumbs up.

The premise of this novel had me intrigued from the start.

It sounded like it would be The Purge, but set in a Tesla.

Surprisingly enough, it is actually more like The Hunger Games, but set in a Tesla. I am so down for that!

In a near-future U.K., Level 5 autonomous vehicles are now the law of land. Said to make personal travel completely safe, that isn
Brenda - Traveling Sisters Book Reviews
We are so excited to share with you all that John Marrs will be joining us in our Behind the Pages group. He will be popping in to answer our question sometime on May 4. Please follow the link below which takes you directly to the page to ask John a question, leave him a comment before May 4 or view the threads after to see what he has to say

My review

Readers start your thrill and let the best passenger win. Try to stay calm and strap yourself in. Its tec
Dita
Jan 05, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I accidentally deleted my review...

Susanne  Strong
May 07, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: edelweiss, buddy-read
4 Stars

“The Passengers” by John Marrs is a scream, I promise!

Eight driverless cars. Eight passengers, all of whom have a secret and a specific plan for that morning. None arrive at their intended destination.

There is a Hacker who knows everything about everyone and he has decided to take control. There are five members of the jury whose sole purpose is to decide who lives and who dies.

The fear is real my friends. “The Passengers” will scare you. Yea, “The Jetsons” made the idea of a futuristic
Kim ~ It’s All About the Thrill
OMG this book is absolutely brilliant! How have I not read a John Marrs book before this? Where has this author been all my life?! Seriously this book had me at the edge of my seat the entire wild ride.

I have been eagerly awaiting to get my hands on a copy of this book! The book came out earlier in the year for my fellow bloggers across the pond and after reading each fantastic review one after another, I knew this was going to be one heck of a book. It is finally due to come out here in the U.S
Felicia
Aug 22, 2019 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I cannot recall reading a more absurd book in my life.

At first the absurdity was laugh out loud funny.

Then the whole ridiculousness of it kinda started pissing me off as it became more and more farcical by the page.

I'm not even going to bother with a full review. I've wasted enough of my time on this buffoonery dressed up as a novel.

**I received an ARC from the publisher in exchange for an honest review.**
marilyn
The Passengers hits too close to home. There are already self driving cars, trucks, and buses, even if they aren't being used to the extent that is written about in the book. The story takes place in the near future when self driving cars for everyone are not only the majority of the cars on the road but will be required for everyone, eventually.

The book starts with eight self driving cars, each with a passenger, that will collide in about two and a half hours. There is a group of five people w
Bibi
Apr 08, 2019 rated it it was ok
Berit☀️✨
Aug 25, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: arc-physical, 2019
This is my brain🧠. This is my brain after reading this book🤯. Any questions?

John Marrs completely blew my mind with this exhilarating thriller! Eight passengers in eight separate driverless cars, all of them with secrets, none of them making it to their desired destination. Imagine you're in a driverless car you have no control, no brakes, no steering wheel, you can't even open the doors,and somebody has taken over the car. In 2 1/2 hours all eight of these cars will collide head on end it is u
Carolyn
Sep 22, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2019, futuristic, thriller
It's the near future and Britain is in the process of making autonomous, driverless cars mandatory and phasing out driver controlled cars for it's citizens. Cars with software that can be programmed with the destination, choice of music and temperature while the passengers sit back and relax, eating, reading or catching up on a little work. Not every one is in favour of autonomous cars and the decisions they make when an accident occurs but a inquest panel has been set up to investigate any fata ...more
Zoeytron
Oct 05, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: public-library
As we grow lazier and more complacent, artificial intelligence grows smarter, insinuating its sticky fingers in more and more aspects of our lives.  This tale deals with autonomous vehicles and their seven random passengers.  Programming has been wiped clean and rerouting to an unknown destination is underway.  Cameras everywhere are recording and broadcasting everything.  Is this a variation on the theme of reality TV, or an elaborate hoax meant to prove a point?  Or is it something else entire ...more
NZLisaM
John Marrs' best, and most ambitious, book to date.

Picture this! It's the near future and you're cruising along in your state-of-the-art driverless car. You might be eating breakfast, applying makeup, reading a book, talking on the phone, or just relaxing, when all of a sudden your car deviates from it's pre-programmed destination.

Then a voice sounds from the centre console:

‘”It may have come to your attention that your vehicle is no longer under your management. From here on in, I am in char
Tan Markovic
Apr 16, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kindle
When you want to write a review but have no idea how to do the book justice :')

John Marrs never disappoints....

What an amazing book!
Heidi
Jan 08, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This thriller didn’t waste any time getting started—for me, it was a total page turner!

Have to admit this, while not a Luddite by any stretch, driverless vehicles freak me out. Maybe too much Stephen King (he had a novella about machines taking over— trucks, etc.), maybe my lack of trust in public/government standards (dare I admit I’m a public employee), or the greed of big corporations— but this was a very creepy read.

Twists and turns, and both guessable and non-guessable plot lines. The plagu
♡ oscar ♡
May 24, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2020, 2020-faves
Welcome to ANOTHER season of Black Mirror.

To give you a bare minimum non-spoilery summary:
This story involves two sets of characters. The first, the eight people, with their own dark little secrets, trapped in their hijacked 'driverless' cars. As readers, do you believe their sentiments? Or do you doubt them? Among them, who are you rooting for? Second, the outside world or the public. They were the ones who saw what was happening to these 'magic 8'. Their opinions to them were, most of the
Bren
Jul 04, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Where do I begin?
“Despite threats to their kids’ lives, they still prioritise sharing their fears with the world before they scuttle off to rescue their little ones. Share then react. I love it.”
― John Marrs, The Passengers

I cheated.

I looked at the end way before I was done.

I could not help it.

I guess I would not make a good Passenger Juror.

But I HAD to know..I just had to.

This book was so DIFFERENT.

Never has anyone got social media so right. The man had me howling with laughter at some of it.

A bit to much viol
Dennis
I can't believe I was just able to binge read another 400+ page book in record speed. I recently read John Marrs's The One because I heard it was going to be a Netflix series, so I was very excited to pick up his latest Black Mirror-esque novel, The Passengers . The Passengers takes place in the not so distant future, and autonomous cars are now regulated and compulsory during UK's new plan to try and circumvent human error for fatalities, accidents, pollution, and other traffic related t ...more
Virginie *No more time to write reviews for the moment :( *
Fasten your seatbelts and prepare yourself for a thrilling ride... That is what I call a fast-paced novel!

Are you ready to read about a troubling future not so far from us? With The Passengers, you'll question yourself about morality while reading a story with an enthralling plot. So interesting! My only complaint is about the last 20% of the book... Some parts weren't necessary, the ending was too long.

I liked The Passengers even more than The One, but I recommend to read the latter first. Hop
Gabby
Damn, this book is intense! It literally gives me such Black Mirror vibes. I really love sci-fi thrillers!!!! This story takes place in a futuristic world where they have self-driving cars. These people are in these cars when a voice comes over the speaker and tells them they have no control over their car and they will likely be dead in two hours. The story really takes off from there and it’s non-stop action and thrills for 400 pages.

I love the thought provoking questions this book m
Toni
Aug 26, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The premise of this clever and well-written sci-fi thriller, set in the UK in a very near future, is fascinating. The AI that controls eight driverless cars moving to their different destinations is hacked, the destinations are reprogrammed, while the passengers become a hostage to a mysterious and seemingly omniscient Hacker who informs them that in 2 1/2 hours they are going to die.

The story alternates between showing what happens to the people in the cars (who come from all walks of life: a p

• His & Hers
  • Playing Nice
  • He Started It
  • Home Before Dark
  • Eight Perfect Murders (Malcolm Kershaw, #1)
  • The Other People
  • The Family Upstairs
  • The Escape Room
  • The Night Swim
  • One Night Gone
John Marrs is the author of #1 Best Sellers The One, The Good Samaritan, When You Disappeared, Welcome to Wherever You Are, Her Last Move, The Passengers, The Minders and What Lies Between Us.
The One has been translated into 30 different languages and is to be turned into an eight-part Netflix series starting in autumn 2020.
After working as a journalist for 25-years interviewing celebrities from