Start by marking “The Angel Makers” as Want to Read:
The Angel Makers

The Angel Makers

(Constance Piper Mystery #2)

In November 1888, the specter of Jack the Ripper instills fear in every woman who makes her living on London's streets. But there are other monsters at large, who shun fame and secretly claim their victims from among the city's most vulnerable . . .

Options are few for unmarried mothers in Victorian England. To avoid stigma, many find lodging with "baby farmers"--women who
Published July 30th 2019 by Kensington Publishing Corporation (first published May 29th 2018)

To ask other readers questions about The Angel Makers, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Angel Makers

Linda
"A woman is most dangerous to herself when she is desperate to be loved." (Vanessa P.A. Evelyn)

And desperate times visit London in December of 1888. This is especially true if you are female, alone, and with child. The innocence that you carry within, under those circumstances, will be prey for the souless evil-doers who bear no thought to the babe or to the mother herself.

Mother Delaney stands on a darkened corner in the Poplar district near the East India Docks. She listens for the hurried foo
Maranda
Apr 10, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Tessa Harris is skilled with the narrative that switches POV between Constance Piper and Emily Tindall. Constance is a a lowly flower girl in 1889 London. Jack the Ripper is stalking the street but he is not responsible for all the deaths that are being found. Most tragic is the infant deaths that are being discovered wrapped with twine in packages. Emily is the paranormal force that leads Constance to aid the police in solving these crimes. It would be best to read the first in this series "The ...more
Leslie M.
This is the second book in “A Constance Piper Mystery” series. It’s set in Victorian England (1888). Jack the Ripper continues to send fear throughout London. However, he’s not the only concern for the women of the city.

Constance Piper is a flower seller who happens to be clairvoyant. She suspects something is going on with the “baby farmers,” and she sets out to discover just what that is. With her late friend Emily as her spirit guide, Constance will work with Detective Constable Hawkins to un
Veronica
Jun 11, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I can't get enough of historical mysteries especially if well written and researched. I have always been fascinated by the East End of London circa 1888. Combine that with an interest in the mystery of Jack the Ripper and I am literally in Heaven.
I really love the Constance Piper mysteries. The author has a way of bringing this time period to life and is able to develop characters who you can picture in your mind vividly plus actually like and care for them as well.
This time around, the psychi
Susan
May 07, 2018 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: netgalley
In this second book of the series, Jack the Ripper continues to terrorise London but the women still have other problems to contend with. Constance Piper, a clairboyant and flower seller, becomes suspicious via a friend of 'baby farmers'. Here we have the story told from Constance's point of view and also her dead friend, Emily Tindall.
Unfortunately I didn't really get interested in the story or engaged with the characters.
A NetGalley Book
Kristina
The Angel Makers by Tessa Harris is the second A Constance Piper Mystery. Constance Piper is a flower seller in 1888 London where Jack the Ripper is making his presence known. Constance is out with her sister, Florence and their friend, Cath. Cath is still reeling from the death of her daughter, Evie a year earlier. She left her with baby farmer who promised to find Evie a good home. Cath changed her mind the next day only to be told that Evie died overnight. The next morning Cath is found dead ...more
Katharine Johnson

This is a chilling, intriguing and atmospheric tale – and all the more so when you consider that baby farming really did go on and this story was inspired by real baby farmer, Amelia Dyer. As you would expect from Tessa Harris, it's very well researched and captures the tension in Victorian London at the time of Jack the Ripper.

The story’s told in two narrative viewpoints: Constance’s and Emily’s, a murder victim who guides her from beyond the grave, which given the strong interest among Victori
Laurie Way
Jul 11, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I love this historical mystery series! This read centered on the practice of baby farming in the 1888 in London. These mysteries have a solid main character in Constance Piper, a restless spirit guiding her investigations and an intriguing mystery to solve.
frugalitymom
Dec 22, 2018 marked it as mystery-thrillers  ·  review of another edition
Another excellent edition to a wonderful series! Full of twists and turns that leaves you wanting more and enjoying each moment until the end when the killer is caught.
Amy
Jun 12, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The Angel Makers is a pretty good mystery. I enjoyed it and give it 4 1/2 stars.
Daniele
Oct 15, 2018 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-2018
There is more evil lurking in the streets of London than Jack the Ripper. Clairvoyant flower seller Constance uses her unique gift, guided by the spirit of her friend Emily, to find a killer and unmask a dark, devastating scheme. In THE ANGEL MAKERS, Tessa Harris takes readers on a tour of the more unseemly side of the Victorian Era where life for the unfortunate is dismal, often hopeless, and dangerous.

The premise of this series is good and the idea of a mystery based on a real life “baby farme
Angela Buckley
May 29, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
‘The Angel Makers’ is a gripping story of murder, mystery and the supernatural, set in the dark and dangerous streets of Victorian Whitechapel. When flower seller Constance Piper’s close friend is brutally murdered, she sets out to track down her killer. Aided by her spirit guide Emily Tindall, Constance’s quest for justice leads her into the heart of the underworld, in which she encounters the nefarious trade of baby farmer Mother Delaney.

Inspired by real-life characters, this is a clever mergi
Gail
Jun 01, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This one was a disturbing read for me because of the subject matter involved: a Victorian baby selling ring that is headed by a viperous woman (based on the very real Amelia Dyer) who has no concern for, and, indeed, causes the deaths of, the infants she deals in.

Ms. Harris is a talented writer who spins a unique tale, bringing together plot, characters, and historical fact in a fascinating, if dark story, set against the backdrop of the Jack the Ripper murders. The twist in this series is compe
Danielle Urban
May 07, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The Angel Makers by Tessa Harris is a story with a dark and most intriguing plot. Women who are helpless, desperate, and single with children...are being picked off. Until, the main protagonist, Constance Piper, works with the police to discover how, who, and why. The danger escalates and the intensity of the situation feels so real. It was like I was actually there in Constance's shoes.

The characterization was well-done. I immediately took to both Constance Piper and her friend Detective Consta
Alyson Read
May 26, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a Victorian murder mystery loosely based in part on the infamous baby farmer Amelia Dyer. It took me a few chapters to become accustomed to the style of writing, as the author writes in the present tense swapping between the voices of our heroine Constance Piper and the spirit of her former teacher Emily Tindall who comes to her aid at times of crisis. Not such an odd concept for the Victorians, a lot of whom were quite at ease with mediums and the spirit world. Although the book is perf ...more
Kathleen Gray
May 21, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Jack the Ripper casts a gloom over this novel but it's not about him- it's about women and babies who were exploited. The story is told in alternating chapters by Constance and her dead friend Emily. There's a paranormal element to this (Constance is clairvoyant and Emily is, well, dead) but it's in keeping with the Victorian era where this was a big thing. Good characters and atmospherics but this is less a mystery than it is about how the evil Mother Delany (she so doesn't deserve that title) ...more
Talk Supe
Apr 24, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2018
I got very emotionally invested in this story. I mean how can you not when you’re up against BABY FARMERS?! It’s also inspired by real life events, look up Amelia Dyer & her mug shots will give you the willies!

I love how THarris layered the mystery, I thought the culprits were all revealed until that little twist in the end. A small one but it sure made a big difference in the story & on my impression on the author as a whole (this is my first book of hers that I read). And though I mis
Gwen
Jul 18, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Vacation means more time to read; for Constance Piper, Victorian flower peddler, there is never vacation, never rest, and things are even worse with Jack the Ripper lurking about. Guided by both her own intuition and the guidance (and visions) provided by Miss Tisdale, her late teacher, Constance helps solve both a murder of a friend (not Jack's handiwork) and shuts down a baby farm (taking infants from mothers in trouble and selling them --but usually killing them -- to couples seeking to adopt ...more
Kyle Davis
Tessa Harris has quickly become one of my favorite authors. She paints a brilliant picture of a time in London that has been well documented in literature mostly because of Jack the Ripper. I admittedly read the books because I love her writing first but I love a good Ripper story and I am a little disappointed with #2 in this series because of the limited Ripper lore. The book ties together nicely at the end but there were several spots where I didn’t feel engaged and really wanted something mo ...more
Jantine
Apr 12, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I received 'The Sixth Victim' for review before, and was quite thrilled to receive this book as well. I really like the setting of Victorian London, including the various ways in which this book tells about this society. There was Jack the Ripper off course, and this book points out the practices of baby farming and how desperate some poor mothers were. Then there were the paranormal parts again - being vastly popular in this era, it seems to belong in a book like this.

I received a free copy thr
Melissa Dee
Tessa Harris’s newest Constance Piper mystery will send you deep into the darkest corners of Victorian London. Jack the Ripper is killing women, baby farmers are killing infants, and poverty and disease are killing everyone else. The story is told by two characters, one alive, and one dead. The clairvoyant aspect of this novel wasn’t as appealing to me as the atmospheric mystery, but I was intrigued and connected with Constance’s life and story.
Rita	 Marie
Excellent historical mystery. I liked the way the narration switched between Emily and Constance, giving the reader different insights to various aspects of the plot. Also nice balance between characters and a delightfully twisty plot. I'm looking forward to more in this series.
Shirley
Jun 15, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Brilliant writing turns a gruesome story into an enthralling detective drama! The two points of view give an all-round share of the action.
Sue
Victorique Crawford
May 13, 2018
« previous 1 3 next »
Victorian Baby Farmers 1 2 Jul 23, 2019 03:54AM

• Fall of Angels (An Inspector Redfyre Mystery #1)
  • The Revenant Express (Newbury and Hobbes, #5)
  • The Wages of Desire (Inspector Lamb, #2)
  • A Study in Treason (The Daughter of Sherlock Holmes Mysteries #2)
  • Murder in Bloomsbury (Atlas Catesby #2)
  • The House at Baker Street (Mrs Hudson and Mary Watson Investigation #1)
  • Murder at Beechwood (Gilded Newport Mysteries #3)
  • Miss Dimple and the Slightly Bewildered Angel
  • Cat (Zack Tolliver, FBI #4)
  • Calamity in Kent
  • The Evil That Men Do (Dorothy Martin, #11)
  • Highland Dragon Rebel (Dawn of the Highland Dragon, #2)
  • Publish and Perish (Linnet Ellery, #3)
  • A Christmas Homecoming (Christmas Stories, #9)
  • The Sapphire Manticore (The Lost Ancients #4)
  • Dangerously Fierce (Broken Riders #3)
  • Black Moon Awakening
  • The Wilson Deception (Dr. Jamie Fraser & Speed Cook, #2)
From the author's website:After studying History at Oxford University, I began my journalistic career on a newspaper in my home town of Louth, in Lincolnshire. I progressed onto a London newspaper, where I became women's editor. From there I moved to become a feature writer on Best magazine. After two years I was made editor of a regional arts and listings publication. This was followed by another ...more

Constance Piper Mystery (3 books)
  • The Sixth Victim (A Constance Piper Mystery, #1)
  • A Deadly Deception (A Constance Piper Mystery, #3)