Start by marking “Drummer Girl” as Want to Read:
Drummer Girl

Drummer Girl

Arizona Wakefield was a beat without a melody. Living a half-breathing life in a half-finished neighborhood with parents who always wore half-hearted smiles, the high school senior only had one thing that let her color outside her family’s perfectly drawn lines—her drums.

Jesse Barringer was a song without a chorus. The son of a washed-up rock star who’s also one hell of a

To ask other readers questions about Drummer Girl, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Drummer Girl

Start your review of Drummer Girl
Jenny••Steamy Reads Blog••
I went on vacation with a few books in mind, one's I know needed to be read. What I did not expect was hands down amazing reads. I flew through reads, why?? because they were so damn addictive that I couldn't put them down.

This one, I shouldn't be surprised, I love Ginger Scott, but damn I really loved this one, enjoyed it immensely. So yes, this read is another one I recommend you pick up!! It is one that leaves you wanting more!!

Follow us on facebook Follow us on instagram
Jessica  (Angie & Jessica's Dreamy Reads)
Nothing about anything in this life is normal, but maybe that’s everyone’s story. Maybe normal is the odd man out.
What keeps me returning to Ginger Scott again and again is the way she so meticulously weaves lush romance with heavy subject matter. Drummer Girl, a mature YA romance set against the backdrop of music, is a love story full of hope and heartfelt attraction, where the sweet levity of first love melds painfully with the profound weight of mental illness.

Ginger Scott is the most am
Astrid - The Bookish Sweet Tooth

GENRE: Young Adult with mature themes
THEMES & TROPES: Mental Illness, Drug Abuse
RATING: 4 Stars
CLIFFHANGER: No

READ MY REVIEW ON THE BLOG (live on July 30th)

I've read quite a few books by Ginger Scott and there is only one book by her that didn't work for me. But that's another story and I am happy to report that she has come back as expected with flying colors. Before I continue scroll up and read the beauty that is the blur
Elle's Book Blog
Release Date: July 28, 2019
Genre: YA Romance (Musicians)

Ginger Scott is known for writing complex characters, intriguing story lines, and irresistible love stories. Drummer Girl encompasses all of this and more. From the start I was HOOKED on Arizona and Jesse's story. I loved these characters for their flaws and all. They aren't perfection personified, rather they are realistic and have issues that are recognized within the story. Ginger Scott moved me with her words, wooed me with this sto
The Book Bee
Aug 06, 2019 added it
Shelves: dnf
REVIEW: DNF Review at 66%, skimmed to the end
"Calm covers storms."

This isn't an overly positive review, but it certainly isn't going to be a complaint filled one either. I feel like this one missed the emotional "mark" for me. I didn't have the connection I thought I could/should/would with this type of subject, but I fell in love with Jesse. With Jesse, I actually felt his depth and his pain. I felt his turmoil and heard his demons. Unfortunately, Ari felt a little blah to me, and I understand
Na
Aug 02, 2019 rated it liked it

"He's literally making the sounds that live in my heart and head,..."

Drummer Girl was my second book by Ginger Scott and while thinking on how to write this review, I realized I had the same issues with this one like I had with Bred. I couldn't connect with the characters on a deeper level. I didn't feel the energy and while reading I had no idea where this journey would lead me.

"We all have lakes we dive into sometimes."

The creation of the characters was very thoughtful. The topics thi
Meredith Wilson
Jul 29, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Wow! This book was something else. I'm not quite sure where to start. Drummer Girl is a mature YA romance set against the backdrop of music. The two leads really bring this book to life, causing you to feel every ounce of hurt, bitterness, hope and love that they experience. It was like being a teenager again and going through the wide spectrum of feelings and mixed up thoughts.

The plot of this story will put your heart through the ringer. It is emotional and raw as it gently touches on the ser
Michelle Claypot_Reads
I'm a happy reader right now. A seriously happy reader. For me this one's a rare perfect story. I would not change one word. Not a single thing. It earns six stars ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️

Ginger Scott is one of my Unicorns. You know the kind of author who could write any story & you'd willingly go in blind - yeah that's her for me.

This one is a book that had me smiling, crying and pausing to remember moments from my own youth - it's thought provoking and tells a complicated tale in a beautifully quiet way.
Jen
Dec 30, 2018 rated it it was amazing
UPDATE! I just finished Drummer Girl and WOW! It was pure perfection, everything I look for in a book. I need a little time to come up with ALL THE WORDS! I loved this book so much and every time I think I have a new favorite Ginger Scott book, she blows me away AGAIN! I adored this story. Full review to come!! <3

Damn, Ginger Scott, you got me hooked! Drummer Girl, hurry up and come to me!!

When I think of the ultimate book boyfriend—broody, hot, rockstars always come to mind. Especially when Gin
Rosa Sharon (iScream Books Blog)
"—a boy I find dizzyingly perfect despite all of his crazy. He doesn't pretend to be something he isn't. He's a genius, he's a wreck—"

I was so intrigued, dying to read this story. I'm very drawn to music-themed stories and especially to the author's talent with touching on touchy subjects in a beautiful way. Drummer Girl was all that and more.

Arizona is not the most outgoing, but for some reason, Jesse brought out her sass. She found herself pushing her comfort levels and standing up to
Anne OK
Aug 03, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2019-reads
FULL REVIEW POSTED 8/5/19

Not my favorite from Ginger Scott, and I haven’t been able to really pinpoint exactly what it was that didn’t excite me about this story or these characters. It just didn’t pull me into the story like the usual GS book does. I never really connected with any of the characters – even though their situations broke my heart. You would have to be cold-hearted and uncaring if it didn't. Suffice to say, I'm looking at it as one of those "it's just me" situations.

Although ther
Karen Mc
Jul 28, 2019 rated it it was amazing
“You should have loved me first.”

“What if I love you after?”

➖➖➖➖➖➖➖➖➖➖➖➖➖➖➖➖➖➖➖

Sometimes you pick up a book, and before you even begin reading it, you know it’s going to be great. DRUMMER GIRL by Ginger Scott, one of my top authors, is SPECIAL. The intensity? GAH! This story shattered my soul and hijacked my heart. I felt every word. I felt everything. Drummer Girl everywhere.

Two chapters into Drummer Girl and I was HOOKED!!! I was so into Jesse and Arizona, a hero and heroine that owned me from
TeriLyn
Jul 30, 2019 rated it it was amazing
**Drummer Girl generously provided in exchange for an honest review.**

5 "You should have loved me first." Stars

I love Ginger Scott YA stories. They're edgy, twisty, mature and always entertaining. This author digs deep within the hearts of her characters endearing them immediately to readers. Drummer Girl is yet another shining example of her coming of age story telling prowess. It's a story about loss and coping. It's also a story of understanding, compassion, and learning. It's hopeful, vulner
Nancy The book junkie
Rating: 4.25/5

Review to come!
Zilpha Owens
Jul 18, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-2019
Ginger Scott writes the real thing. I love how her heroines can be a bit quirky and her heroes aren’t always the hottest guy in town. Or that quirkiness is just a little bit darker or sadder, a more common reality than we’d like to admit, and on both sides so that her characters are relatable. Her stories of young love are spot on. The humor and banter is fun yet, at times, serious too. They are stories of life and love and she does them well. And Drummer Girl is definitely one of those stories. ...more
Vega_girl
Nov 23, 2018 rated it it was amazing
* I recieved and ARC of the first 5 chapters from Ginger*

Oh my gosh!!! Guys?!?!? This 5 chapter sneak peek was EVERYTHING!!! Arizona and Jesse I know will be my new favorite couple!There story, the lead in, so much in just 5 chapters......mid 2019 is entirely too far away!! Can't wait to get my hands on the full Novel!!
Rebecca
Aug 06, 2019 rated it really liked it
In Ginger Scott’s newest release, Drummer Girl, she crafts a story about first/young love, about finding a medium that helps individuals’ cope with the pain and heartache of growing up in dysfunction, mistreatment, and neglect, about choosing to live life for themselves in order to secure a future worth having.

From the beginning of the story, Jesse Barringer appears to be a troublemaker bad boy who doesn’t have anything to offer a shy girl like Ari, but as their story continues and it becomes c
Grace
Jul 15, 2019 rated it it was amazing
4.5 Stars

Hope, love, and camaraderie come together in a story about healing through music.

Life for Arizona Wakefield changes in more ways than one when she gains a new neighbor, Jesse Barringer.
Not sure what caught her interest more, his looks or his drums. But she is intrigued, immediately. With the help of her wing-woman and BFF, Sam, she steps out of her comfort space to spend time with him. And following a series of run-ins, Jesse seems the potential of his new neighbor, which changes everyt
ItaPixie
Aug 05, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 4-stars

I'm a huge fan of Ginger Scott,I love her writing and her ability to write good and realistic young adult stories and characters.

I loved Ari,she is an amazing drummer and I was so glad she went out of her comfort zone in order to audition for her new neighbour's band.Jesse is the face and the tortured talent of his band,his character reminded me of one of my favourite artist and I was so invested reading about him and his life and my heart broke a few times when he felt pretty messed up.
They ha

Flo Grugel
Aug 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Adored Jesse and Arizona! 5 star all the feels read!
Kate R
Aug 05, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: arcs
I’m not usually a fan of a rock star trope, but I am a big fan of Ginger Scott, so I gave this one a chance. I can say that this book was quite a surprise. I was not prepared for the emotions this book brought out in me. The way Scott describes music was brilliant, and because these details were so incredible, you could almost hear the music throughout the book. It is a mature young adult book. The author also tackled a pretty sensitive issue of mental health and specifically, normalizing mental ...more
Nicole Patterson
Jul 16, 2019 rated it it was amazing
OMG, wow. I received this as an arc copy and I will say it is one of my fav copies I've ever had the honor or reading. This was such a great story. It dealt with mental health, which is something I love because I suffer from it myself. Ginger Scott hit the nail on the head perfectly with this book.
queen_of_the_books_18
I’m really sad this book fell a little flat for me. I was so intrigued after reading the blurb that I dived straight in and expected epic things. The book was good and the writing was good it was just a little slow to get going.

I enjoyed the musical side to the story, I loved that Ginger Scott wrote about mental health and highlights how important it is. I love that she isn’t afraid to tackle tough subjects. I felt that these may have over taken the romance slightly.

Jesse and Ari’s story was t
Donna ~ The Romance Cover
"You should have loved me first."

I really enjoyed this book from Ginger Scott, I love the way she always delivers a gorgeous romance submerged in a story full of plot and covering some tough subjects. Both the H and h have their issues, and yet they are brought together by their love of music. Music is their outlet, music gives them purpose and it was beautiful to see how they connected and how it made them whole again. Ginger Scott's words always draw me in, and this book was no dif
Erika's Book Blog
"I feel like I've been kissed-the kind of kiss that leaves someone swallowing hard and confused. I do, and I am."

The first book I've read by this Author has blown me away!! I couldn't and didn't want to put this down at any point. I cried, I laughed, I SWOONED, and my heart just exploded for these two. Delving into deeper issues, crushing pasts, demons rearing their ugly heads and a swirl of events that had me gripping the kindle and pouring through these words well into the night, it's a story
Wendy LeGrand
Nov 26, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: arcs
Okay, just from reading these first five chapters, I know this book is going to be amazing. It is going to have every feeling imaginable that is going to stretch my heart in way too many ways. It is going to be angsty, and have highs and lows and I cannot freaking wait!!

Ginger completely pulled me in with just this little bit of the story. Everything from the backdrop of where Arizona lives to the status of her family, to the little hints dropped here and there of things that have occurred in he
Cathy
Aug 20, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
4.5 Stars

This was my first read by the author. I didn't know what to expect. It was not an 'easy' read with some heavy subject matter but I fell completely for Arizona, so warm and open despite the struggles in her family. And Jesse was actually really sweet for a bad boy rocker. The epilogue was so sweet I got soggy eyes! Beautiful.
Connie
Wow! What a captivating page turner! I felt so much compassion and sorrow for Arizona and Jesse. Their dark and destructive family secrets just about torpedoed their relationship. It was fascinating to discover that everything Arizona believed about her sister, Ella, was totally Arizona's sin to bear. So how on earth could she help Jesse carry his burdens when Arizona could barely carry her own?
Michelle
3 Stars
Not one of my favorites by this author. But don’t worry I’ve read most of her books and I’m still a fan!
Aaly
Jul 25, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: arc
review-blog

*** ARC kindly provided by the author in exchange for an honest review. ***

I’ve been intrigued since I’ve read the first chapters a few months ago. Drummer Girl is a story that will stay in my mind for a long time. Arizona and Jesse took my breath away, the calm and the chaos when reunited, created one of a helluva melody, going through joy, pain and angst.

What I appreciated the most with Ginger Scott stories was how she could talk about teenagers who in spite of their young age wit
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »

• The Wallace Girl (The Feud Series Book 1)
  • The Sinclair Heir (The Feud Series Book 2)
  • The Girl in the Love Song (Lost Boys, #1)
  • First and Forever (Heartache Duet, #2)
  • The Guy on the Right (The Underdogs, #1)
  • Never Fall in Love with a Rockstar
  • Heartache and Hope (Heartache Duet, #1)
  • Rising West (Turner Artist Rocker, #1)
  • The Guy on the Left (The Underdogs, #2)
  • The Other Side
  • Fighting Absolution
  • Enemies
  • Teardrop Shot
  • The Guy in the Middle (The Underdogs, #3)
  • Leo (Preston Brothers #3)
  • Cherry Beats
  • The Player Next Door
  • Jack & Sadie
Ginger Scott is an Amazon-bestselling, Goodreads Choice Award and Rita award-nominated author of several young and new adult romances, including Waiting on the Sidelines, This Is Falling, Wild Reckless, The Hard Count, Cry Baby and Bred.

A sucker for a good romance, Ginger’s other passion is sports, and she often blends the two in her stories. (She’s also a sucker for a hot quarterback, catcher, pi

News & Interviews

“The more that you read, the more things you will know. The more that you learn, the more places you’ll go.”  Theodor Geisel said...