Start by marking “Where She Lies (Detective Finnegan Beck, #1)” as Want to Read:
Where She Lies (Detective Finnegan Beck, #1)

Where She Lies

(Detective Finnegan Beck #1)

In a town full of liars, who can you trust?

When Detective Finnegan Beck is demoted from his high-powered job in Dublin and relocated in disgrace to the small Irish town of Cross Beg, he predicts boredom will be his biggest threat.

But then a beautiful, local teenage girl is found strangled in the cold, dark woods a mile from town. The prime suspect is the seemingly-gentle d
Published February 8th 2019 by Bookouture (first published February 2018)

To ask other readers questions about Where She Lies, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Where She Lies

Start your review of Where She Lies (Detective Finnegan Beck, #1)
Sumit RK
Feb 10, 2019 rated it really liked it

A Gripping Thriller

In a town full of liars, No one is safe.

Where She Lies is the first book of the Detective Finnegan Beck series. Set in Ireland, this one is an exciting atmospheric thriller and an excellent debut for Detective Beck.

Detective Finnegan Beck is demoted from his high-powered job in Dublin and relocated in disgrace to the small & forgotten town of Cross Beg. Treated with disdain by his new superiors and ridiculed by his new colleagues, things couldn’t get any worse for him.
Christopher
Jan 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2019, netgalley
After Detective Finnegan Beck is demoted and forced to work in the quiet town of Cross Beg, his intention is to keep his head down until he can return to Dublin. However, after a teen girl is found dead, he’s thrust into a complicated investigation, with his experience pulling him to suspect the case is more complicated than it first appears. As he wades through closely guarded secrets and the deep social relationships that come with small town life, he feels on the cusp of cracking the case— an ...more
Lou
Feb 08, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Where She Lies, previously entitled The Quiet Hours, is the first book in the DS Finnegan Beck series, and it's a great read. There are plenty of surprises with the perpetrator kept well hidden from view for the majority of the novel, and the killer's monologues allow you to see events from their perspective. It's well written, perfectly paced and although there are many familiar genre tropes on show here, the damaged, flawed detective, to name one, the author puts a fresh spin on things. He cra ...more
Sandy
Mini review: a random selection from my TBR pile that came up aces. I really enjoyed this police procedural set in Ireland. The MC has a bit of a cliched background but his personality makes him interesting.

After being sent to what he perceives as "the sticks", Finnegan Beck just wants to keep his head down until he can reclaim his previous more prestigious position. He may be grouchy & antisocial but is a true detective at heart & can't abide a poorly run investigation. The plot is layered & w
LenaRibka
4.5 stars!

One small town. One crazed killer. One devastating secret.

I have a weak spot for broken male characters with issues - I prefer them being cops *blush* - who are not perfect but who are able with their smart-ass-personality, their loyalty and sensibility to captivate you within no time at all.

Detective Finnegan Beck has a potential to become one of my favorite underdogs.
With his impressive debut novel The Quiet Hours Michael Scanlon cast a spell over me. I hope for more of Finnega
Linda Strong
Aug 21, 2019 rated it really liked it

Where She Lies, previously entitled The Quiet Hours, is the first book in the DS Finnegan Beck series.

DS Beck has been demoted from his Supervisor position in Dublin and relocated in disgrace to a very small Irish town, where he mainly wants to drink and try to sleep without the nightmares. His supervisors have no respect for him, but Beck is the police officer in charge and when a teenage girl is found in the woods, strangled to death, it is up to him to locate the killer.

He's learning that liv
Eva
Feb 13, 2019 rated it liked it
Where She Lies is the first instalment in a brand-new Irish crime series featuring Detective Finnegan Beck. A former inspector, Beck finds himself demoted to Sergeant in the small Irish town of Cross Beg. His main objective is to return to Dublin and not get too involved in whatever goes on in Cross Beg. But when a young girl is found murdered in the woods, Beck can’t help digging deeper.

Cross Beg isn’t exactly what Beck imagined it to be. For a town so small, where everyone seems to know everyo
The Cats’ Mother
Where She Lies, previously titled The Quiet Hours, is an impressive police procedural novel set in Galway, Ireland, by a first time author, featuring a damaged alcoholic detective with an odd name tracking a serial killer. Yes, you’ve read it all before, but the points of difference are the small town Irish rather than British or American setting, and the evocative writing.

Finnegan Beck, demoted from Inspector and exiled to the run-down town of Cross Beg after a Garda operation in Dublin went h
Denise
Feb 10, 2019 rated it liked it
"To follow the crow one must first become a hawk."

Detective Finnegan Beck has been demoted to Sergeant in the Garda pending an investigation up at his former precinct in Dublin. Sent to Cross Beg to lick his wounds, Beck feels out of place and out of time in the tiny town in South Galway. He soon finds himself in the middle of an extremely complicated case involving a series of murders. Partnered with newlywed Detective Garda Claire Somers, the pair start looking a bit closer into the townspeopl
Trish at Between My Lines
This review was originally posted on Between My Lines

Well when I heard that Where She Lies by Michael Scanlon was the start of new gripping Irish Detective series, I knew that was a blog tour I HAD to join. Thanks Bookouture for making my wish happen.

First Line of Where She Lies by Michael Scanlon

“She cursed herself for having agreed to meet him in the forest.”

My Thoughts on Where She Lies by Michael Scanlon

I thought this was a cracking debut novel, with lots of potential for further development
Elizabeth
Dec 25, 2018 rated it really liked it
In a town full of liars, no one is safe.

It’s a sleepy backwater, a forgotten town of narrow alleyways that lead from the cathedral down to the river, and towards the bogland beyond. It’s a place where seemingly nothing – good nor bad – has happened. Not for a long time.

But when a teenage girl is found dead in
Nancy
Dec 01, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2019-read
4.5 Stars, very good.
Gram
Dec 24, 2018 rated it really liked it
What begins as an investigation into the murder of a teenage schoolgirl escalates swiftly into the hunt for a devious killer who may have gone unnoticed for decades. Set in the fictional rural Irish town of Cross Beg, the story opens with the discovery of the girl's body, found strangled in woods close to the town. Detective Finnegan ("Finn" for short) Beck has been demoted from his job as a detective inspector in Dublin and sent to Cross Beg, in Galway, where he believes he will die from boredo ...more
Els
Feb 07, 2019 rated it really liked it
It’s nice reading series, because every new book is like meeting up with ‘friends’, but I also like first parts of series and when they are debuts moreover, it gives a special touch.

Apart from trying to figure out who the culprits are, I also have to get to know the team. Finn Beck is the main character and the author certainly does a good job in keeping me guessing why he ended up here. Little by little he feeds us bits of information about his background without letting us forget about the cri
Owl._.
Jan 28, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
For a debut novel .... not bad! The beginning was a little slow and I found myself having a hard time connecting to the characters. I continued on and I'm glad I did. About 2/3 of the way through, I found that I couldn't put it down and had to see how it ended. The ending did not disappoint. I will definitley give book 2 in this series (if there is one) a chance.

Thank you#netgalley and #bookoutore for the eARC.
Stina
Feb 24, 2019 rated it really liked it
WHERE SHE LIES in the first in a brand new Irish crime series by Michael Scanlon. It was previously published as THE QUIET HOURS.

A former inspector in Dublin, Detective Finnegan Beck finds himself not only demoted back to Detective Sergeant but transferred to a sleepy backwater town called Cross Beg situated in County Galway. His main objective? To do his job, keep his head down and not get too involved in whatever goes on in the village. The less involved he is, the quicker he can return to Dub
Darren
Dec 29, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I got this as a e book from Net Galley. I enjoyed reading it. It had a good story to it. I liked the variety of characters in it. It is my first book read by this author. I hope to read more books by this author.
Elaine Tomasso
Jan 07, 2019 rated it really liked it
I would like to thank Netgalley and Bookouture for an advance copy of The Quiet Hours, the first novel to feature DS Finnegan Beck, set in the rural Irish town of Cross Beg.

Beck has been demoted and transferred from Pease Street, the busiest station in Dublin, to rural Cross Beg where nothing happens. His plan is to keep his head down, not get involved and wait out his disgrace and he sticks to it until a teenage girl is murdered when Inspector O’Reilly’s ineptitude forces him to take an interes
Julie Lacey
Feb 08, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This is a great start to a new crime series.
I really liked the character of Detective Beck and whilst he has his flaws, his heart is in the right place.
Beck is sent to Cross Beg following an incident with his old team.
Soon the body of a teenage girl is found and a murder investigation is underway.
As Beck and Claire investigate the murder secrets of the small village become apparent and send shock waves through the village.
His superiors don’t make Beck’s life easy but he just gets on with job
Smitha
Jan 29, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Inspector Finnegan Beck has been demoted and sent to Cross Beg, where nothing really happens. He reckons he'd find it easy to stay out of trouble here until the body of a young girl us discovered.

An interesting crime thriller that didn't give away any clues till the very end. A page turner if you like this genre.

Thank you Netgalley and the publishers for the review copy of this book
Donna Hines
Jan 07, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: arc, netgalley
A detective has been demoted and relocates to a sleepy backwoods town were nothing ever happens and I mean nothing.
Well that's until Beck arrives on scene and a dead body is located in the bog and now everyone is suspect and everyone surely lies to cover up years of past horrors.
Trying to get to the truth proves extremely difficult but one thing is for sure the killer or killers must be caught.
Time is not your friend in cases such as this and this killer is about ready to strike.
Watch out! This
Kelly Van Damme
Feb 25, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: netgalley
In this novel set in Ireland, the teen is found strangled in the woods, but is this a random kill, or is there more to it? What ensues is a gritty, atmospheric story that focuses on the lead investigator, Finnegan Beck. Beck may be a brilliant detective but he is also a troubled man with quite a few personal demons and perhaps not enough courage, and/or not enough incentive, to try and slay them. The short chapters propel the story forwards, I once again suffered from the oh-just-one-more-little ...more
Amanda McGill
Feb 08, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2019, netgallery
For full review - The Limit of Books Does Not Exist

I feel like I have read so many novels about detectives who are “disgraced” and have to move to a small town, where crime is non-existent. Once the new detective shows up, lo and behold there is a major crime.

The novel really picked up for me in the last 1/3. It got intense and I was surprised by who the killer was and their story. I wish that a lot of the other storylines (disgraced detective, drinking, flashbacks) were left out since they just
Hannelore Cheney
A big thank you to NetGalley and Bookouture for the eARC of this excellent book.
I loved this mystery, it was definitely a superior one of this genre. Normally I am not that crazy about stories with serial killers, but somehow this was one I couldn't put down.
Detective 'Finn' Beck has been demoted from his job in Dublin and sent to Cross Beg, a fictional town in Ireland to join the Garda there.The
The murder of a young girl in the woods shocks the town and Finn, partnered with detective Claire, i
Monica Mac
Feb 01, 2019 rated it really liked it
Beck has been sent to a rural backwater, as punishment from his superiors. He thinks that nothing happens in Cross Beg - he is wrong.

A series of murders occur in Cross Beg and Beck does his best to solve them, despite issues with the drink, with ex partners and ex colleagues too. He is a man in crisis and the author does a good job of portraying him. It would be incredibly boring to read a police procedural such as this, if the main character was some perfect cop, to be honest.

I liked the chara
Sid
Jan 16, 2019 marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Well, this was a really enjoyable book. Honestly, in the beginning I struggled to get through the pages but it soon had me gripped and ended up being quite a page turner. The characters in this books were quite well created and I enjoyed getting to know them. I wouldn't hesitate to recommend this book and a big thank you to NetGalley and Bookouture for giving me the chance to read this ARC in exchange of my honest review. ...more
Helena#bookdreamer
This is an action packed thriller with lots of twist and surprises. Beck is investigating the murder of a young girl and as the story progresses the author unveils the true face of the town. Very well written and the story unravels at an even pace that is easy to follow. An intriguing mystery.

Thank you Netgalley for providing this ARC in exchange for an honest review.
Anna
Dec 30, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Thank you to NetGalley and the Publisher for a copy of this book in exchange for an honest review.

Michael Scanlon has written a gripping novel set in a small town of Cross Beg in Ireland. Mr. Scanlon has added to the authenticity of the book by being a civilian employee of the An Garda Siochane (Irish police force).

Detective Finnegan Beck has been demoted from his job in Dublin where the establishment appears to block his efforts at every turn. He doesn't think that his experience on the force
Bev
Feb 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2019-read
The Quite Hours by Michael Scanlon is the first book in the Detective Finnegan Beck series and wow what a first!

We are introduced to Beck and find out he’s been relocated to Cross Beg and also demoted as well. Beck isn’t made to feel welcome at all either by his colleagues or his superiors and is only planning on trying to blend into the background but when a teenage girl is found in the wood on the outskirts of town Beck become embroiled in the investigation and starts uncovering the various m
Annie
May 01, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: netgalley
Originally published on my blog: Nonstop Reader.

Where She Lies is the first book in a new series by Michael Scanlon. Released 8th Feb 2019 by Bookouture, it's 327 pages and available in paperback, audio, and ebook formats. Alternate title: The Quiet Hours .

I've been on an Irish crime kick lately. There are a number of really rewarding modern procedurals set in Ireland the last few years and this is a promising debut to join the genre. This book's not just a modern procedural murder myster
« previous 1 3 4 next »

• Heartlands (Detective Jessie Blake #1)
  • A Body in the Lakes (Detective Beth Young, #2)
  • Her Sister's Bones (Detective Iris Locke, #1)
  • The Body in the Mist (DCI Craig Gillard #3)
  • Where The Dead Fall (DI Ridpath #2)
  • Bitter Edge (DI Kelly Porter, #4)
  • A Promise to the Dead (Detectives King and Lane, #4)
  • No Past Forgiven
  • Her Secret Past
  • The Dancing Girls (Detective Jo Fournier, #1)
  • The Crossing (Detective Louise Blackwell #1)
  • The Girl in the Grave (Beth Adams, #1)
  • The Missing Nurse (Yorkshire Murder Mysteries #1)
  • The Night Caller (Detective Carrie Flynn, #1)
  • The Greenway (Detective Mike Croft, #1)
  • The Liar's House (Detective Gina Harte, #4)
  • The Missing Wife (Yorkshire Murder Mysteries #2)
  • Crime in the Choir (Detective Markham Mystery, #1)

Detective Finnegan Beck (3 books)
  • The Child Before