Start by marking “The Princess who Flew with Dragons (Tales from the Chocolate Heart, #3)” as Want to Read:
The Princess who Flew with Dragons (Tales from the Chocolate Heart, #3)

The Princess who Flew with Dragons

(Tales from the Chocolate Heart #3)

Princess Sofia of Drachenheim is sick of being used for her older sister’s political gains. At twelve years old, she’s already been a hostage to invading dragons and a promised future fiancé to a wicked fairy. Her only comfort lies in writing letters to her pen pal and best friend--Jasper, a young dragon whom she's never even met.

When Sofia's older sister sends her on a di
240 pages
Published November 5th 2019 by Bloomsbury Publishing PLC (first published August 8th 2019)

Start your review of The Princess who Flew with Dragons (Tales from the Chocolate Heart, #3)
Stephanie
Nov 15, 2018 added it  ·  (Review from the author)  ·  review of another edition
My new MG fantasy! It's full of snarky princesses, radical goblin girls, terrifying ice giants, a philosophical dragon, and a cat who...may have JUST A BIT in common with my own cat, Pebbles.

And it's out today in the US and Canada! Wooooot!

This trilogy of fierce girls and dragons is complete, and I am so happy about it. <3
Amber
Jan 07, 2020 rated it it was amazing
When Princess Katrin orders her sister Princess Sofia to go to Villene to attend the Diamond exhibition, Sofia does begrudgingly. Tired of being a princess, she goes in disguise to go see her favorite philosopher and gains new friends until Ice Giants threaten the city. Can she protect her friends and family from the threat? Read on for yourself and find out.

This was a great conclusion to the girl with the chocolate heart series. If you enjoy middle grade Fantasy stories about dragons and more t
Brandy Painter
Review originally posted here at Random Musings of a Bibliophile.

It's great to have those authors you can always count on to provide a good story. It is even better when those authors consistently provide excellent series with multiple characters to love. Stephanie Burgis is one of those authors for me. The Princess Who Flew with Dragons is her latest MG novel and continues the world she developed in The Dragon with a Chocolate Heart and The Girl with the Dragon Heart.

Princess Sofia has lived h
Kogiopsis
Mar 09, 2020 rated it really liked it
God, this book is utterly charming. I sped through it as an adult and I know I would have adored it as a kid. (It would have been a winner as an audiobook for family road trips, too.) I don't even feel like I missed out on that much by reading the prior two books - though I fully intend to go back and do so at some point.

The Shannon Hale comparison on the back felt spot-on, though I think this book is best suited for a slightly younger audience than the Bayern quartet at least. But we've got pri
Darla
Jun 24, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: middle-grade
This third book in the Tales from the Chocolate Heart series features Sofia and her struggles to come to terms with being a princess and pursuing her personal goals. She is sent on a diplomatic expedition and finds herself with the opportunity to move about in a foreign land incognito. The ice giants ruin the party, but give Sofia and her sister Katrina a new avenue to improve their relationship. Loved having Jasper play a substantial role as both a dragon and a boy. Looking forward to tale #4. ...more
Stephanie
Apr 12, 2020 rated it it was amazing
THIS SERIES IS PURE JOY
Dreximgirl
Aug 23, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I really enjoyed this final book in the trilogy. Despite the previous main characters not being in it I found I very much enjoyed getting to know Sofi and how she discovered herself by finding friends and a strength she didn't realise she had. It had a great positive message which was something I needed at the moment. Very much worth a read. Sad this was the last one.
Tansy Roberts
Aug 08, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Glorious story with crunchy angsty bits balanced out by wonderful friendship, complicated familial love and DRAGONS. Also, ice-giants.

I've been reading this one aloud chapter by chapter with my youngest (just turning 11) and it comes marvellously off the page, nice short chapters and lots of humour and action.

I love this whole series. Not quite enough chocolate in this particular volume for our tastes, but so MUCH dragon that it certainly makes up for it.
Beth
Jun 15, 2020 rated it it was ok
Shelves: reviewed
This just didn’t work for me. It was too short - not enough time elapsed between events, so everything felt condensed and artificial. The plot was too obvious for my taste. And I didn’t believe anyone’s emotions; they seemed cookie-cutter and oversimplified.
Joanna Bennett
Jul 04, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I have loved reading through this series and find myself enjoying the characters more as I get the different point of views in each book. For this one in particular, Princess Sofia is our main heroine and I was here for it!

Sofia had a small part in the first book and a bit of a bigger part in the second but this book right here is where she shined! She is brave, loyal, smart, and stubborn. The last quality usually has her ending up in a bit of trouble but that is where I connect with her. We can
Llinos
Aug 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: sf-f, mg
Just like the two previous books in the series, this one's biggest strength is its flawed but deeply lovable heroine. Stephanie Burgis writes characters that I really want to root for even when they're making mistakes, and Sofia is no exception. I sank right into her perspective - her yearning for affection and her uncertainty about her place in her family and the world hit me really hard, and I also loved seeing her widen her worldview and confront some of her prejudices.

That said, TPWFWD has a
Anna
Jan 18, 2020 rated it really liked it
Philosophers and dragons and coffee shops and friendship and problem solving...most excellent! The lone downside is that we never see Adventurine or Silke, who we met in the first two books. Sophia deserves her own adventure, tho!
Julie
Nov 27, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy
I didn't realise this was the last book of a trilogy when it was recommended to me, but since the protagonist is different from the other two I think it worked quite well stand-alone. This is a sweet coming-of-age story. Bookworms, a cat, humans and goblins and kobolds and dragons discussing philosophy while eating cinnamon rolls, amazing tales of friendship... Short & pleasant. ...more
Helen
Apr 20, 2020 rated it really liked it
Making the most of having to stay home in Lockdown to catch up on some reading. A great story for a bit of escapism - both for myself and the characters, especially Sofi. I loved the first two books in this series and eagerly awaited this one, but only just managed to secure it from the library a couple of days before it closed. As soon as I'd finished the other books I was halfway through I devoured this one. Sofi will be easy for many children to identify with. She isn't perfect in any way, bu ...more
Cindy Mitchell *Kiss the Book*
The Princess Who Flew with Dragons by Stephanie Burgis, 216 pages. Bloomsbury, 2019. $17.

Language: G (0 swears, 0 “f”); Mature Content: G; Violence: G

BUYING ADVISORY: EL, MS – OPTIONAL

AUDIENCE APPEAL: AVERAGE

Ms. Yingling
E ARC provided by Edelweiss Plus

This is set in the same world as The Dragon with a Chocolate Heart and The Girl with the Dragon Heart, but this time we find out more about Katrin, who is ruling Drachenheim, and her younger sister Sofia, who is not a fan of her sister. When Katrin decides that Sofia will be flown by dragon to the Diamond Exhibition in Villenne to represent the country, Sofia thinks this is just another way her sister is manipulating her. When she arrives, bedraggled and ill after
Bekah | Bekah’s Bookshelves Hosford
The Princess Who Flew with Dragons, the third novel in the Tales From the Chocolate Heart by Stephanie Burgis, features the younger princess of Drachenheim: Princess Sofia. At the mighty age of twelve, all Sofia wants is to be left alone and to discuss philosophy through letters with her best friend Jasper who happens to be a dragon. Sofia definitely does not want to be involved with anything political or her sister's machinations. She's already been kidnapped by dragons and promised to marry a ...more
Lepus Domesticus
I didn't like this one as much as the previous two fabulous installments in this series for three reasons, but it's still a fun book that kids who liked the first two books will probably still enjoy. The plot feels a little bit inspired by the classic Roman Holiday, crossed with a story of children who feel like disappointments being actually the only ones who can save their supposedly more capable family members.

Mild spoilers:
This one read slower for me, mostly because the early plot hinges on
Em Jay
Jun 25, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: netgalley
I should probably preface by saying that I've never read any Stephanie Burgis books before. I didn't feel lost with PRINCESS, but perhaps certain intricacies of the world-building didn't shine through as they might for someone familiar with the series.

Overall, it was a pretty 'meh' read. It's a familiar fantasy setup, with dragons and goblins and princesses, and the world felt a bit...stale in that regard. Burgis attempts to twist the royalty narrative with questions of privilege and responsibi
Stefanie Merrifield
The Princess Who Flew with Dragons is the third book in Stephanie Burgis' Tales From the Chocolate Heart series. One doesn't need to have read the first two books to enjoy this one, as Burgis does a great job of bringing in enough of the back story to paint a vivid picture of what's been going on. So well did she paint it, I found myself wanting to read the first two, which I haven't done, yet. So no fear, you may read this as a standalone.

So what's it about? Twelve year old Princess Sofia of Dr
Tsana Dolichva
Sep 15, 2019 rated it it was amazing
The Princess Who Flew With Dragons by Stephanie Burgis is the third book set in the same world as The Dragon With the Chocolate Heart and The Girl With the Dragon Heart. While the three books follow each other chronologically, they all feature different protagonists, so stand alone well.

The protagonist of this book is Princess Sofia, who was a secondary character in the second book The Girl With the Dragon Heart. The main cast from the first two books don't make much of an appearance in this one
Kristen Gwen Johnson
Nov 05, 2019 rated it really liked it
The Princess Who Flew With Dragons by Stephanie Burgis is a fantastic read.

Philosopher Princess Sofia is not a perfect princess. In fact, she make more embarrassing mistakes in a day than her perfect sister, Katrin, has probably made her entire life. When Katrin sends Sofia to Villenne for the Diamond Exhibition to represent all of Drachenburg, Sofia believes that she is being sent away as a punishment. Upon arriving at Villenne, Sofia makes the worst impression imaginable and is sent away from
Kristiana Y. Sfirlea
This is one of those books. You know, the one that has 50 pages left and the clock reads 12:30AM, and you don't even care because YOU NEED TO FINISH IT?!

Yep. One those books.

I loved Aventurine. I loved Silke. I loved their stories. But Sophia? Sophia is MY GIRL. I adored her and every page I got to spend with her in this book.

There are certain elements in a story that - should they appear - will toggle my fangirl switch and trigger a fierce loyalty and affection for that book. Any one of thes
Sophie
Everything about this book is wonderful! I pre-ordered it and started reading on release day; my expectations were rather high after I fell in love with The Girl with the Dragon Heart and I was not disappointed. From the very first chapter I was completely enthralled by the main character, Sofia (Tales from the Chocolate Heart is a companion series so each book follows a different character) and it only got better from there.

I loved seeing a different part of the world, which then exposed us to
Erin
Jun 29, 2020 rated it liked it
Amy (Golden Books Girl)
In the 3rd instalment of the Drachenburg books, we follow Princess Sofia (who is the less perfect, poised younger sibling of the Crown Princess Katrin) as she journeys to another kingdom and has to save the day when some ice giants cause chaos. I loved Sofia so much, and I`m incredibly fond of just about everyone in this world I`ve come to know and love- it was particularly wonderful seeing such a different side to Katrin than what we got in the Girl with the Dragon Heart and getting to know Ave ...more
Natasha Brown
Oct 22, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Princess Sofia of Drachenburg is sick of being used for her older sister's political gains. At twelve years old, she's already been a hostage to invading dragons and promised to marry a wicked fairy. Now she's being sent to far-off Villene to play the part of a charming, diplomatic princess. Her only comfort lies in writing letters to her pen pal and best friend--Jasper, a young dragon she's never even met.

What I admired most about this story is how very anti-princess. As a mom of 4 girls, 2 who
Nannette Demmler
Nov 02, 2019 rated it really liked it
ARC provided by Bloomsbury Children’s Books via Netgalley for an honest review.

One of the best things about this series, is that you don’t have to have read the others in order to enjoy any of them. They are all delightfully wonderful on their own. Especially this one.

Sofia was a character I think many kids will be able to relate too. She makes a lot of mistakes and feels guilty about them, but she also looks for ways to remedy them too. It is her mistakes that makes her stronger and a believabl
Carro Herdegen
Language: G (0 swears, 0 “f”); Mature Content: G; Violence: G
Twelve-year-old Princess Sofia of Drachenheim has sworn to never leave the safety of her rooms at the palace ever again. When her sister, the Crown Princess, sends Sofia on a diplomatic mission to Villenne, though, she finds that life has just as many ups as it does downs and adventure appears around every new corner.
Sofia’s world is imaginative, introducing new creatures, like kobolds, among the humans, goblins, and dragons. While the
Meghan
Aug 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Dragons and chocolate - two good things that go great together!

Okay, so this book doesn't have as much chocolate as the previous two books in this series, so you'll just have to supply your own. Anyway, this story follows Princess Sophia and her entourage of insecurities. Her mother's dead, her father stopped caring, and her older sister Katrin has to raise her while ruling the kingdom. Sophia's only friend is her pen pal- a dragon she's never met in person.

Now, Sophia is forced (well, very str
« previous 1 3 next »

• The Dark Lord Clementine
  • The Queen's Secret (The Rose Legacy, #2)
  • Monstrous (Monstrous, #1)
  • Willow Moss & the Lost Day (Starfell #1)
  • Power of a Princess (More Than a Princess, #2)
  • Castle Hangnail
  • Shockwave (Star Kingdom #1)
  • The Library of Ever (The Library of Ever #1)
  • White Bird
  • Changeling (The Oddmire, #1)
  • The Mona Lisa Key (Time Castaways, #1)
  • How to Catch a Bookworm (Chester Falls #0.5)
  • Love Overwrite Command
  • Dragon Age: Deception
  • The Phantom Twin
  • Cold Iron (Masters & Mages, #1)
  • The Order of the Pure Moon Reflected in Water
  • A Sunless Sea (William Monk, #18)
I grew up in America, but now I live in Wales with my husband, fellow writer Patrick Samphire, our sons, "Mr Darcy" and "Mr X", and our sweet (and extremely vocal) tabby cat, Pebbles. I write fun, funny MG fantasy novels (most recently The Princess who Flew with Dragons) and wildly romantic adult historical fantasy novels and novellas (most recently Moontangled).

To get early sneak peeks at new sto

Tales from the Chocolate Heart (3 books)
  • The Dragon with a Chocolate Heart (Tales from the Chocolate Heart, #1)
  • The Girl with the Dragon Heart (Tales from the Chocolate Heart, #2)