Start by marking “No Ocean Too Wide (McAlister Family #1)” as Want to Read:
No Ocean Too Wide (McAlister Family #1)

No Ocean Too Wide

(McAlister Family #1)

Published June 25th 2019 by Multnomah Books (first published June 2019)

To ask other readers questions about No Ocean Too Wide, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about No Ocean Too Wide

Start your review of No Ocean Too Wide (McAlister Family #1)
Carrie Turansky
Mar 12, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)
I'm very excited to bring you this new English historical novel, No Ocean Too Wide. When the three youngest McAlister children are taken away from their widowed mother and emigrated to Canada without her knowledge or permission, the oldest sister sets off to find them and reunite the family, but her journey is much more difficult than she ever expected. She needs the help of a wealthy young solicitor and a renewal of her faith to meet those challenges. I was deeply touched when I researched chil ...more
Beth
No Ocean Too Wide touches on a fascinating yet tragic event in history, that of about 70 years in which more than 100,000 impoverished British children were sent to Canada for a better life. Those taking them in were told they were orphans, but history has shown that this wasn't always true.

It's wonderful that Turansky chose to tell a story about something that impacted so many people. I can't imagine being told that my children or my younger siblings had been sent to across the ocean without my
Deanne Patterson
This book rose right to the top of my favorite books I've read in 2019!
So meticulously researched I must look into finding out more about British home children.
These are children that have fallen on desperate time wether through being orphaned and having no parents and living on the streets or their parents are in dire poverty and just can't support them anymore. The children are sent to institutions where some are sent onto Canada.
I love historical fiction that I learn things from and this is
Lindsey (Books for Christian Girls)
About this book:

“Between the years of 1869 to 1939 more than 100,000 poor British children were sent across the ocean to Canada with the promise of a better life. Those who took them in to work as farm laborers or household servants were told they were orphans–but was that the truth?
After the tragic loss of their father, the McAlister family is living at the edge of the poorhouse in London in 1908, leaving their mother to scrape by for her three younger children, while oldest daughter, Laura,
Karren  Sandercock
I had no idea that in the early 1900's over 100,000 poor, orphaned and neglected English children were sent to Canada for a better life and of course this was not always the case.
No Ocean Too Wide is a fictional story about the McAlister children, Katie, Garth and Grace. When their widowed mother becomes ill the police decide to remove them from the family home and send them to live in a orphanage.
Their older sister Laura is working as a ladies maid for the Frasier family, she receives word info
Deana Dick
Jun 25, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Be warned that boxes of tissues will be needed to read this book. I don’t know where to start with how deeply emotional this story is. The author has exceeded my expectations of how gifted a writer she is. The story is one that opened my eyes to the fate of children during a time period that was hard on many people.

I had no idea that children of British descent were shipped away to Canada sometimes without real reason to rip them from their families. I am overwhelmed at the cruelty these childre
Kelsie Maxwell
Jun 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: netgalley-read
No Ocean Too Wide
Carrie Turansky

No Ocean Too Wide by Carrie Turansky is historical fiction based on true events.

Katie McAlister is a fourteen year old Londoner whose mother has fallen ill following her father’s recent accidental death. Katie and her siblings, twin brother Garth and seven year old Grace, are sent to a London children’s home and then emigrated to Canada without their mother’s knowledge or consent.

Laura McAlister is Katie’s twenty-one year old sister. Laura assumes a false name
Ann
Mar 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This is a wonderfully written book! This book will draw you in on the first page. It is a wonderful reminder that God is always with us and we must trust him. I highly recommend this book. Thank you WaterBrook & Multnomah via NetGalley for the ARC copy of this book. This is my honest opinion of this wonderful book.
Carolyn Miller
Mar 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing
No Ocean Too Wide is Carrie Turansky at her finest, as she weaves rich historical details and engaging characters with the heart-wrenching complexities surrounding the emigration of British Home Children in the early 1900s. I thoroughly enjoyed this glimpse into English and Canadian history, with its echoes of the trials faced by orphans in books such as Anne of Green Gables, and the strong message of faith and trust in the Heavenly Father who never abandons us.
Rachel McMillan
read for endorsement:

fans of Susan Anne Mason, Cathy Gohlke and Lisa Wingate--- a fascinating excavation of a little known history :-)
Paula Shreckhise
No Ocean Too Wide by Carrie Turansky is a story about a family of orphans transported to Canada by the English in 1909.
One of the reasons I enjoy historical fiction is that I learn something. I had read books about the orphan trains in America but had not heard about the English “home children”. This book shows how the same orphan problem was handled very differently. It is a heart wrenching tale of a family that is split apart through death and illness. This book has many layers and delves int
Lori
Feb 18, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This story deserves 5 stars and more!
Carrie has done a fabulous job in telling the story of Laura, Garth , and Grace.
I really admired Laura's strength and determination to search for her siblings. She is amazing!! She's very strong proof that blood is thicker than water in other words family ties are strong. She'll go to great lengths for her family.
I love how Laura learns a valuable lesson along the way.
Too often we forget to trust the good Lord. We think we can do everything on our own. We a
Amanda Tero
May 24, 2019 rated it it was amazing
After reading several mysteries and suspense, I enjoyed this little genre break. Because of the aforementioned books, it seemed that this one started off slow, but once I got into it, I really didn’t want to put it down—and then when I finally finished it, I still wanted to be reading it the next few days. I am definitely looking forward to book two!

This is one of those sweet historical fictions. Being that I’ve done a bit of research into the American “Orphan Train,” I was very interested in th
Lucy
Jun 20, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I had to digest this book before writing my review, as it brings to life a piece of history that should not be forgotten. Carrie Turansky does a wonderful job of doing stellar research and then weaving a story that lets us view history through new eyes. My heart was aching and I felt emotionally drained when I finished and I warn you to have tissues on hand. This book struck home for me as my mom was raised in an orphanage and therefore I could identify with these characters and feel their hurts ...more
Gail Hollingsworth
Jul 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This was a piece of history I never knew about. With an increase in orphans and homeless children in 1909 London, some organizations chose to take them off the streets and place them in children’s homes to prepare them to be shipped to Canada. They weren’t always treated well. Made to be household servants and farmhands, they were looked down upon by many. Abused, mistreated, and starved, those children found themselves isolated and lost in the system.
When the McAlister children were found to be
Loraine
I have read several books on the orphan train children of the United States, but I did not know about the more than 100,000 British Home Children who were swept off the streets and from homes in England and shipped to Canada from 1869 to 1939.

This story focuses on the McAlister family. Due to a twist of circumstances, the three youngest are taken away to a children's home when their widowed mother lands in the hospital with pneumonia. From there, they are sent to another children's home and the
Lilian
Feb 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing
guys this book was one of the best I've read this year. I've been struggling to write a review because of how amazing it was.

(also, there might be minor spoilers, but they're all included in the blurb, so they're not really spoilers? just a warning. )

I absolutely adored this book. What a completely enchanting, inspiring, and heartfelt read. I remember feeling emotional after I finished it (which happens in like, oh, 1 out 200 books) because the themes of loyalty, love, and trust were so strong.
Amy
Jun 08, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Definitely worth the read, especially if you enjoy historical fiction. I learned a lot reading this book. There were times when it really stirred my emotions and it was hard not to let it affect me. Although this is a story about the past, knowing that children still suffer these types of abuse, makes it even more important to read. Seems like no matter what time period, innocent people have ended up suffering.

The focus of this book is on three children, siblings, who were removed from their hom
Melanie
Jul 15, 2019 rated it it was amazing
No Ocean Too Wide was a.m.a.z.i.n.g. I loved this book from the beginning until the end. The characters were realistic and I loved how the story was based on true events.

The story had so much depth and I couldn't help wishing that the family would all get reunited. It was crazy how they could just move the children without letting their mother know.

This is the second book I've read by Carrie Turansky and it won't be my last. It was heartbreaking at times and yet also very sweet. I highly recom
Jocelyn Green
No Ocean Too Wide is a fine example of a historical novel performing one of its most important functions: bringing to life, honoring, and preserving a piece of history that might otherwise go forgotten. Turansky’s novel is sure to capture readers with the heartache and hope entwining the McAllister family’s story. Those interested in America’s Orphan Trains will not want to miss this fresh new tale about the British Home Children.
writer...
Shocking mistreatment of British children unjustly apprehended by government systems in their overreaching attempts of societal control. Effects on the members of this story's one family are heartbreaking while their personal determination is inspiring.
Every inner cry for justice surfaces in reading this story.
AnnaScott
Mar 30, 2019 rated it really liked it
I thoroughly enjoyed this book. It was a bit slow at the beginning, but I had no idea how it was going to end, so the suspense kept me going. The history it covers is fascinating - I wasn't really even aware that Britain sent orphans over to Canada, much less that there were issues of social justice involved, and this book did such a wonderful job of going over everything and explaining it without sounding like a history lecture. I loved Laura, Andrew, Katie, Rose, and Henry - they all worked to ...more
Rebecca
Jun 12, 2019 rated it really liked it

"What did she expect? This was what happened when you made a hasty decision, compromised your convictions, and tried to manipulate the situation."

Laura McAllister didn't start out to be deceptive, one thing just led to another, and before she knew it her misrepresentations of the truth landed her in a situation that demanded an explanation . . . to none other than the son of her former employer, Andrew Frasier. However, drastic measures had been Laura's only available recourse after di
Jeanie Kidd
Sep 11, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Love this book and Laura ‘s feisty way not to give up on her family and her voyages to find her sisters and brother.
Linda Klager
Mar 13, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The cover of the book showed two children that were taken from England and sent by ship to Canada to live new lives. What happened to this family was a tragedy beyond words.

We are introduced to a very loving family. The Father of the McAlister family died because of injuries from a railway accident. The son, Garth, daughter Katie and little girl Grace were sent to an orphan home after their Mother became gravely ill. The oldest daughter Laura was working as a lady's maid about an hour away. When
Maureen Timerman
Jun 12, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2019
The author has given us a story that will linger long after the last page is turned, and rightfully so. By the Grace of God, we could have been one of those children, orphans, or no parent to take care of them. I can’t even imagine the poverty and living on the streets, but the solution?
We put faces to these children, but they have a family, and when one of the siblings attempt to retrieve them, well that is what makes this such a great read.
You will find your heart breaking, and yes, I know tha
Jennifer K
Jun 19, 2019 rated it really liked it
This well researched historical fiction demonstrates different aspects of the plight of British Home Children. How far would you go to keep your family together? In this moving story, an endearing family and their friends go farther than they thought they would ever have to go. As her characters navigate difficult waters, Turansky describes some of the good aspects, as well as, some of the horrors of the system. Along this demanding journey, the author includes lessons of faith. As new relations ...more
Staci
Mar 21, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-in-2020
Nice start to a new series. No Ocean Too Wide brings to light the circumstances which brought about children getting shipped from England to Canada in the early 1900s. At the center of the novel is the McAlister family that includes an adult daughter, twin 14 year olds and a seven year old. It's frightening what happened to them and there seemed to be little to no oversight of the agencies involved.

I look forward to learning more about the fate of those unresolved in book one.

My gratitude to aut
Ayala Levinger
Jan 05, 2020 rated it liked it
a roman about a heartbreaking subject of child emigration. with a bit romance and a lots of talking to God 😉
there comes a second book this year and I might look it up to read what happens later to the kids.
Kristin King
Sep 03, 2020 rated it liked it
Moved a little slow at first and ended with one thing hanging that I expected to be wrapped up, but it was a good read.

• Memories of Glass
  • Yours Truly, Thomas
  • The Medallion
  • The Express Bride (Daughters of the Mayflower, #9)
  • An Uncommon Woman
  • The Yellow Lantern
  • The King's Mercy
  • Veiled in Smoke (The Windy City Saga, #1)
  • As the Light Fades
  • Convergence
  • Vow of Justice (Blue Justice, #4)
  • The Spice King (Hope and Glory, #1)
  • A Distance Too Grand (American Wonders, #1)
  • Andrew (The Petersheim Brothers #1)
  • Finding Lady Enderly
  • One More River to Cross
  • A Silken Thread
  • The Librarian of Boone's Hollow
Bestselling Inspirational Romance Author Carrie Turansky writes historical and contemporary novels and novellas set in England and the US. She has won the ACFW Carol Award, the Holt Medallion, and the International Digital Award. Readers say her stories are: "Heartwarming and inspiring! I couldn't put it down!" . . . "Touching love story. It captured me from the first page! Rich characters, beauti ...more

McAlister Family (2 books)
  • No Journey Too Far (McAlister Family #2)

News & Interviews