Start by marking “Spin the Dawn (The Blood of Stars, #1)” as Want to Read:
Spin the Dawn (The Blood of Stars, #1)

Spin the Dawn

(The Blood of Stars #1)

4.16  ·  Rating details ·  3,947 ratings  ·  1,263 reviews
Project Runway meets Mulan in this sweeping YA fantasy about a young girl who poses as a boy to compete for the role of imperial tailor and embarks on an impossible journey to sew three magic dresses, from the sun, the moon, and the stars.

Maia Tamarin dreams of becoming the greatest tailor in the land, but as a girl, the best she can hope for is to marry well. When a royal
Published July 9th 2019 by Alfred A. Knopf Books for Young Readers

To ask other readers questions about Spin the Dawn, please sign up.
Kristia Seabolt There's subtle cursing in this book, like words of "damn" and "piss" (if you consider piss a curse word, in which I really don't). Nothing too…moreThere's subtle cursing in this book, like words of "damn" and "piss" (if you consider piss a curse word, in which I really don't). Nothing too outlandish. There are curse word alternatives used, like "Demon's Teeth" used. None of this has strained my enjoyment of this book, in which I will/have given a five star rating.

I get you. Sometimes it bothers me if there's an over usage of cursing. More so in the past than in the present. I still steer away from some subject matters and content. It's how I even reflect upon movies, if there's the constant F bomb thrown around (I don't mind some well placed ones for dramatic effect), I'll turn the movie off.

When there's constant explicit cursing, It makes me wonder how limited a person's vocabulary is. It's not about censoring oneself from it, it's how a book reflects on you while reading, and if it's an enjoyable experience for you. If there's a lot of cursing, that's not your cup of tea. Oh well, everyone has their preferences. And sometimes, on down the road, your views on such things may adapt (like mine).

<spoiler>Now for steamy content, it's close to none, and what is present is done tastefully. This book is well suited for a younger audience, or a family wholesome reader. </spoiler>(less)

·  3,947 ratings  ·  1,263 reviews

Melissa ♥ Dog/Wolf Lover ♥ Martin
July Owlcrate Box! Click on the link below the pic to see all of the goodies!

GOODIES LINK

I loved this so much, it went to my favorites list!

Animation: Arthur Redhawk

Let me tell you people! Do not always go by what a summary says! When I read this was a cross between Project Runway and Mulan, I immediately put hitting that pre-order button aside. I'm not into those two descriptions. BUT, I saw it on Netgalley and thought I should take a chance. I'm so glad I did! SPIN THE DAWN is nothing like wh
Chaima ✨ شيماء
Project Runway meets Mulan sounds interesting but I need this book for reasons that have everything to do with the cultivated vanity that’s reserving my space in hell.....I mean just look at THAT COVER.
jessica
Jul 16, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
wow wow wow. i am truly blown away by how amazing this story is. the book blurb does this a slight disservice by pitching it as a cross between mulan and project runway. not because it doesnt have those elements, but because this is SO much more than that.

the story is captivating with enthralling writing and charming characters. oh my gosh. edan is one of the wittiest characters i have read in a while. his banter with maia is such a delight to read. from start to finish, i was entertained with
Lily ☁️
I am actually speechless, this book is marvelous, and you need it in your life. 🌙✨

Blog | Twitter | Instagram | TumblrBloglovin’
Anissa
Jan 21, 2019 rated it it was amazing
One word: WOW.

This book is pitched as Mulan meets Project Runway but it was really so much more than that. I loved it!
Brittney ~ Reverie and Ink
Wow what a ride!

This book was really fun, and there's so much I loved about it.

First of all, I have to rave about the world building. I loved everything about it - deeply woven culture meets beautifully artistic magic. Really cool folklore and mythology. I'm DYING to see some fan art! Honestly, this alone made the book worthy of five stars. I never wanted to leave the world. And the story - pitched as Mulan meets Project Runway - totally fits. The first bit gave me definite Mulan vibes! But th
C.G. Drews
Jul 13, 2019 rated it really liked it
This was the magical adventure of my dreams and I am a little starstruck right now. I meeeean, wow. It mixed this whimsical fairy-tale quality in with one of my favourite ships of 2019, not to mention the ending has left me gasping like a dried out minnow on the floor. I JUST. I thought it was a standalone and now I need more and I do not have more help meeeeee.

[pulls self together]
[barely]

// can we talk about the magic first
because it was astoundingly and gorgeously done!! Maia is disguising he
Melanie

This is honestly the best cover I've ever encountered and holy shit the blessings.

Blog | Instagram | Twitter | Tumblr | Youtube | Twitch
✨ A ✨
Project Runway meets Mulan was accurate indeed.

Maia Tamarin has a dream of becoming the Imperial Taylor of A’landi. Growing up in a family of taylor's she definitely has the skill but as a girl it would be improper and all she can do is to make sure she marries well.

Maia has endured much tragedy due to the war. Her father is broken and their family shop is failing, with little options left Maia is almost put in the position of having to take up the proposal from the bakers gross son when a roy
Mary S. R.
Jul 14, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anyone looking for a slow, mythical, romantic, young adult tale full of sparkles
Recommended to Mary by: ✨ A ✨
3.75 STARS! Fun, sweet, bursting at the seems with unique myths and magic, a world unprecedented, splattered with a delicious dosage of knitting and prettily sparkling dresses (oh my), a little too cloyingly romantic, and not good with its fight scenes (oh no).

“People will see what they want to see.”

Spin the Dawn, in one sentence: A tailor Mulan through a royal competition alongside treacherous masters, a journey through magical, perilous lands for an impossible task, and a love story that f
Clemlucian (&#x1f3f3;️‍&#x1f308;the villain's quest)
2 Angry cunt stars. (Yes, cunt Clem is back and I'm about to burn the house down.)

Instagram | youtube

description

and non-gender conforming folks, welcome to another episode of "How the hell did this get published?", staring Spin the Dawn and yours truly. Please take a seat, grab yourself a drink, and hold on tight to your grandma’s underwear....because shit is about to get serious.

SYNOPSIS: Some random girl from the north of somewhere (I can’t, for the life of me, tell you where) likes to sew clothes in
may ➹

Hey so uh quick question.....who thought they should leave me on my own to figure out that the ending would end like: that and HURT like: that.

Spin the Dawn follows Maia Tamarin, a female seamstress who is struggling to support herself and her father after her brothers went to war. When her father is invited to the Emperor’s palace to compete for the position of the royal tailor, she takes his place and dresses as a boy.

Maia takes on several other magical tailors, meets the alluringly m
Navessa
Feb 25, 2019 rated it really liked it

I’m not gonna lie, I jammed that “Add to TBR” button the second I saw this cover. And then I read “Project Runway meets Mulan” and I turned into the physical embodiment of the I Have a Mighty Need meme.

So, does this live up to the hype? For me, hell yeah.

This is a sweeping, romantic saga steeped in mystery and lore that went a long way toward rekindling my love for the young adult fantasy genre.

The world building in this Chinese-inspired land was phenomenal. The Project Runway portion of the sto
Hannah Greendale
Apr 22, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: fantasy, young-adult
The first half of Spin the Dawn is Disney's Mulan with war taking place at sewing stations as opposed to a battlefield. Maia Tamarin is in competition with eleven talented tailors for an honored position in the Summer Palace. This portion of the book is intriguing and imaginative with Maia facing increasingly difficult challenges to do with unorthodox materials.

While the midpoint hinges on a thrilling new challenge for Maia, the second half of the book makes a significant departure from its fir
Angelica
This book was advertised as Mulan meets Project Runway, two things I love.

So, I was pretty sad, and yet not all the surprised when this ended in disappointment.

Aside from the fact that the main character pretends to be a man, there isn’t much about this story that resembles that of Mulan. And only the first third of the book actually resembles Project Runway. So, what is this book about?

Mainly, it’s about a tailor and an enchanter/magician/Jinn? going on a pointless adventure in order to find i
Lucy Langford
Jul 16, 2019 rated it really liked it
4.5****

I knew then that we were like two pieces of cloth, sewn together for life. Our stitches couldn't be undone. I wouldn't let them.

This was just brimming with enchantment and folklore. We are introduced to Maia Tamarin as a seamstress, working in her father's shop. Her father use to be a hardworking and famous tailor but after some family tragedies, he no longer has the passion to continue with it. Maia takes on this burden and has the dream that one day she will become the grandest tailor
Ashlee » Library In The Country
Why yes I did just SCREAM OUT LOUD because I got an ARC of this. One of my most anticipated 2019 releases!
Cindy ✩☽ Savage Queen ♔
Unpopular Opinion Coming-in

A slow, lackluster attempt at a Mulan retelling. I make the comparison only because, if I remember correctly, that's how this was originally pitched.

Here I think we might have another case of it's not you, it's me. Because while the writing itself was not bad, I struggled with this book the entire time. It was just downright boring to me.

I did not care about the characters. I did not care about the journey and the romance did little for me overall. But of the three t
Nick
Mar 09, 2019 marked it as to-read
this cover is everything
✩ Ashley ✩
description

I can’t believe it!!! I’ve been approved (for the first time) for a NetGalley request?!!?!?!!!? My heart can’t handle all this excitement! 🥰
♠️ TABI ♠️
Sep 07, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: netgalley
'Ask me to spin the finest yarn or thread, and I can do it faster than any man--even with my eyes closed. Yet ask me to tell a lie, and I will stumble and falter to think of one.
I have never had a talent for spinning tales.'

description

First off, the above quote is a bit of a liar because this isn't a badly-woven story! If I hadn't read the blurb, maybe I wouldn't have been as thrown by the first part of the story because I guess I expected the contest to last longer than it actually did?? But this turned
Acqua
Aug 30, 2018 rated it really liked it
If you think that Spin the Dawn's cover is beautiful, I can now tell you that its inside is even better, and that this book is worth reading just for the descriptions and atmosphere, if you care about that sort of thing.
I certainly do.

One of the first things I noticed while reading this book was that I could visualize everything perfectly - from the dresses and the needlework to the landscapes and the magic - so much that I was actually happy when, once the sewing competition ended, this became
Tucker
Jun 29, 2019 marked it as not-released-tbr
Shelves: reviewed
Author: *Writes a Mulan retelling with Disney*
Author years later: *Writes a YA and compares it to Mulan*
Me: hmm, why do i smell a lawsuit

| Goodreads | Blog | Twitch | Pinterest | Reddit |
Sh3lly
Review also found at:

Release Date: July 9th 2019 by Alfred A. Knopf Books for Young Readers.

Gorgeous cover alert!

Maia Tamarin just wants to be a tailor, but she lives in a world where females are unequal to males, and the career is unavailable to her. Her family has run a tailor shop for years, but hard times have besieged the family. War, death, depression… Maia is left holding the business together by a thread.

When the Emperor’s representative arrives de
Ellie (faerieontheshelf)
”Sendo used to tell me fairy tales. How he’d love mine if he were still alive: the tale of a girl who’d sewn the sun, the moon, and the stars into three dresses.”

SPIN THE DAWN starts off incredibly strong. I loved the framing of the narrative - starting with the ending and then segueing into the beautiful first chapter. I think I must’ve been tired but I also really felt the emotion & grief Maia felt at losing her brothers and teared up a lil.

The following 150-ish pages are all about the com
Katie.dorny
Mar 28, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites, 2019
Honestly how did I get my hands on this book?? I adored this, honestly there was nothing I didn’t love about the book. I need the sequel immediately.
Here we meet Maia, a talented seamstress who takes the opportunity of a lifetime. Disguising herself as a boy, the whole story unfolds like clockwork and just whisks you away to another time and place.
We also meet other characters who were so lifelike and vibrant with their traits and dialogue it was as if I was in the room with them all.
My favourit
Candace Robinson
The cover to this has to be one of my top 5 so far this year! It’s seriously gorgeous! So I did like this one but I wasn’t in love with it as much as I wanted to be. I think I wanted more from the characters? I’m not really even a hundred percent on that! What I seriously loved was the Project Runway and Mulan vibes! Give me a needle and thread right now!
Vicky Who Reads
Jul 05, 2019 rated it really liked it
UMMM WOW

I loved the world and the story but I wasn't completely sold on the romance tbh
Wanderlust_Wanz
Ahh, finally another 5-star reading for me in 2019! Love Edan and Maia<3 RTC
CW (The Quiet Pond) ✨
My full review is now up on my blog, The Quiet Pond.

I... I'm amazed. This romantic-fantasy blew my expectations out of the water, and this was such a splendid and sweeping read.

- Follows Maia, the daughter of a tailor who disguises herself as her brother to compete to become the Emperor's court tailor. To save her life and ensure peace in her kingdom, she is then given a test to make three dresses to symbolise the goddess Amana's children: the sun, the moon, and the stars.
- Though this book sou

• Nocturna (A Forgery of Magic, #1)
  • The Never Tilting World (The Never Tilting World, #1)
  • Guardians of Dawn (Guardians of Dawn, #1)
  • The Merciful Crow (The Merciful Crow, #1)
  • Nameless Queen
  • Stronger Than a Bronze Dragon
  • The Mermaid, the Witch and the Sea
  • All the Stars and Teeth (All the Stars and Teeth, #1)
  • A River of Royal Blood (A River of Royal Blood, #1)
  • The Tiger at Midnight (The Tiger at Midnight Trilogy, #1)
  • The Beckoning Shadow (The Beckoning Shadow, #1)
  • House of Salt and Sorrows
  • The Beholder
  • The Magnolia Sword: A Ballad of Mulan
  • The Candle and the Flame
  • Where Dreams Descend (Kingdom of Cards, #1)
  • Crown of Coral and Pearl (Crown of Coral and Pearl, #1)
  • Incendiary
Elizabeth Lim grew up on a hearty staple of fairy tales, myths, and songs. Her passion for storytelling began around age 10, when she started writing fanfics for Sailor Moon, Sweet Valley, and Star Wars, and posted them online to discover, "Wow, people actually read my stuff. And that's kinda cool!" But after one of her teachers told her she had "too much voice" in her essays, Elizabeth took a bre ...more

The Blood of Stars (2 books)
  • Unravel the Dusk  (The Blood of Stars, #2)
“Seize the wind," I whispered. "Don't become the kite that never flies.” 10 likes
“I want you to know that some journeys have ends, but not this one. This one will change you. Irrevocably." "Don't all journeys change you?" "It isn't the same." He leaned forward. "I, too, once journeyed beyond the stars." "What did you find?" His voice turned lethally soft. "That it's just the beginning.” 3 likes