Start by marking “Spin the Dawn (The Blood of Stars, #1)” as Want to Read:
Spin the Dawn (The Blood of Stars, #1)

Spin the Dawn

(The Blood of Stars #1)

4.05  ·  Rating details ·  15,320 ratings  ·  3,505 reviews
This is a previously published edition of ISBN 9780525646990. An alternative cover edition for this ISBN can be found here.

Project Runway meets Mulan in this sweeping YA fantasy about a young girl who poses as a boy to compete for the role of imperial tailor and embarks on an impossible journey to sew three magic dresses, from the sun, the moon, and the stars.

Maia Tamarin
Published July 9th 2019 by Alfred A. Knopf Books for Young Readers

To ask other readers questions about Spin the Dawn, please sign up.
Kristia Seabolt There's subtle cursing in this book, like words of "damn" and "piss" (if you consider piss a curse word, in which I really don't). Nothing too outland…moreThere's subtle cursing in this book, like words of "damn" and "piss" (if you consider piss a curse word, in which I really don't). Nothing too outlandish. There are curse word alternatives used, like "Demon's Teeth" used. None of this has strained my enjoyment of this book, in which I will/have given a five star rating.

I get you. Sometimes it bothers me if there's an over usage of cursing. More so in the past than in the present. I still steer away from some subject matters and content. It's how I even reflect upon movies, if there's the constant F bomb thrown around (I don't mind some well placed ones for dramatic effect), I'll turn the movie off.

When there's constant explicit cursing, It makes me wonder how limited a person's vocabulary is. It's not about censoring oneself from it, it's how a book reflects on you while reading, and if it's an enjoyable experience for you. If there's a lot of cursing, that's not your cup of tea. Oh well, everyone has their preferences. And sometimes, on down the road, your views on such things may adapt (like mine).

<spoiler>Now for steamy content, it's close to none, and what is present is done tastefully. This book is well suited for a younger audience, or a family wholesome reader. </spoiler> (less)

·  15,320 ratings  ·  3,505 reviews

Start your review of Spin the Dawn (The Blood of Stars, #1)
Melissa ♥ Dog/Wolf Lover ♥ Martin
Reread with For Love Of. A Book Group, earned this badge

July Owlcrate Box! Click on the link below the pic to see all of the goodies!

GOODIES LINK

I loved this so much, it went to my favorites list!

Animation: Arthur Redhawk

Let me tell you people! Do not always go by what a summary says! When I read this was a cross between Project Runway and Mulan, I immediately put hitting that pre-order button aside. I'm not into those two descriptions. BUT, I saw it on Netgalley and thought I should take a cha
chai ♡
Project Runway meets Mulan sounds interesting but I need this book for reasons that have everything to do with the cultivated vanity that’s reserving my space in hell.....I mean just look at THAT COVER.
jessica
Jul 16, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
wow wow wow. i am truly blown away by how amazing this story is. the book blurb does this a slight disservice by pitching it as a cross between mulan and project runway. not because it doesnt have those elements, but because this is SO much more than that.

the story is captivating with enthralling writing and charming characters. oh my gosh. edan is one of the wittiest characters i have read in a while. his banter with maia is such a delight to read. from start to finish, i was entertained with
Nilufer Ozmekik
Nov 09, 2019 rated it really liked it
Eastern mythology dances with rich fairy tale elements, an amazing journey to the sun, moon and stars, lots of amazing dresses created by a gifted artistic tailor and her magical scissor and please don’t forget the heart-throbbing forbidden love story!

How could I not fall in love with this book? And the best thing is I got the sequel (after my regular weekly four rejections from NetGalley, I think I still have some lucky stars shining over me!)

So of course you can imagine I’m making my happy
Lily ☁️
I am actually speechless, this book is marvelous, and you need it in your life. 🌙✨

Blog | Twitter | Instagram | TumblrBloglovin’
Angelica
Can I sue for false advertisement? This book was advertised as Mulan meets Project Runway, two things I love. So, I was pretty sad, and yet not all the surprised when this ended in disappointment.

Aside from the fact that the main character pretends to be a man, there isn’t much about this story that resembles that of Mulan. And only the first third of the book actually resembles Project Runway. So, what is this book about?

Mainly, it’s about a tailor and an enchanter/magician/Jinn? going on a po
C.G. Drews
Jul 13, 2019 rated it really liked it
This was the magical adventure of my dreams and I am a little starstruck right now. I meeeean, wow. It mixed this whimsical fairy-tale quality in with one of my favourite ships of 2019, not to mention the ending has left me gasping like a dried out minnow on the floor. I JUST. I thought it was a standalone and now I need more and I do not have more help meeeeee.

[pulls self together]
[barely]

// can we talk about the magic first
because it was astoundingly and gorgeously done!! Maia is disguising he
a n i s s a
Jan 21, 2019 rated it it was amazing
One word: WOW.

This book is pitched as Mulan meets Project Runway but it was really so much more than that. I loved it!
Clem (the villain's quest)
2 Angry cunt stars. (Yes, cunt Clem is back and I'm about to burn the house down.)

Instagram | rant on youtube

description

and non-gender conforming folks, welcome to another episode of "How the hell did this get published?", staring Spin the Dawn and yours truly. Please take a seat, grab yourself a drink, and hold on tight to your grandma’s underwear....because shit is about to get serious.

SYNOPSIS: Some random girl from the north of somewhere (I can’t, for the life of me, tell you where) likes to sew c
Mary S. R.
Jul 14, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anyone looking for a slow, mythical, romantic, young adult tale full of sparkles
Recommended to Mary by: ✨ A ✨
3.75 STARS! Fun, sweet, bursting at the seems with unique myths and magic, a world unprecedented, splattered with a delicious dosage of knitting and prettily sparkling dresses (oh my), a little too cloyingly romantic, and not good with its fight scenes (oh no).

“People will see what they want to see.”

Spin the Dawn, in one sentence: A tailor Mulan through a royal competition alongside treacherous masters, a journey through magical, perilous lands for an impossible task, and a love story th
Brittney ~ Reverie and Ink
Wow what a ride!

This book was really fun, and there's so much I loved about it.

First of all, I have to rave about the world building. I loved everything about it - deeply woven culture meets beautifully artistic magic. Really cool folklore and mythology. I'm DYING to see some fan art! Honestly, this alone made the book worthy of five stars. I never wanted to leave the world. And the story - pitched as Mulan meets Project Runway - totally fits. The first bit gave me definite Mulan vibes! But th
✨ A ✨
Project Runway meets Mulan was accurate indeed.

Maia Tamarin has a dream of becoming the Imperial Tailor of A’landi. Growing up in a family of tailors she definitely has the skill but as a girl it would be improper and all she can do is to make sure she marries well.

Maia has endured much tragedy due to the war. Her father is broken and their family shop is failing, with little options left Maia is almost put in the position of having to take up the proposal from the bakers gross son when a roya
Vibur
Jun 22, 2020 rated it did not like it
WHAT A RIP-OFF OF "CHINESE-INSPIRED", MY SMOL CHINESE HEART IS INFLAMED.
(Yeah, rant alert. Sorry?)

First off, this was a rigmarole of monotony and meaningless repetition (I dnf'ed this, so whether or not it's the same for the latter half of the novel, I don't give a shit). I mean, aside from the protagonist stitching some pretty clothes and all, nothing happened—or, at least, it felt as if nothing happened. Scenes that should read dramatic are more or less a pallid, uninspired smudge of print on
Arini
Sep 06, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition

#1 Spin the Dawn — 3.75 Stars
#2 Unravel the Dusk (TBR)

I didn’t know a tale about knitting and sewing competition could be this F A S C I N A T I N G! This book was so fun, exciting, and full of adventure. Not to mention, unique and magical. Just so you know, I’ve never watched Mulan or The Project Runaway. The only thing I know about the former is that it’s about a girl pretending to be a guy. And in that regard, this book does have that aspect. Anything else, I can’t really comment on
may ➹

Hey so uh quick question.....who thought they should leave me on my own to figure out that the ending would end like: that and HURT like: that.

Spin the Dawn follows Maia Tamarin, a female seamstress who is struggling to support herself and her father after her brothers went to war. When her father is invited to the Emperor’s palace to compete for the position of the royal tailor, she takes his place and dresses as a boy.

Maia takes on several other magical tailors, meets the alluringly m
Hannah Greendale
Apr 22, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: young-adult, fantasy
The first half of Spin the Dawn is Disney's Mulan with war taking place at sewing stations as opposed to a battlefield. Maia Tamarin is in competition with eleven talented tailors for an honored position in the Summer Palace. This portion of the book is intriguing and imaginative with Maia facing increasingly difficult challenges to do with unorthodox materials.

While the midpoint hinges on a thrilling new challenge for Maia, the second half of the book makes a significant departure from its fir
Navessa
Feb 25, 2019 rated it really liked it

I’m not gonna lie, I jammed that “Add to TBR” button the second I saw this cover. And then I read “Project Runway meets Mulan” and I turned into the physical embodiment of the I Have a Mighty Need meme.

So, does this live up to the hype? For me, hell yeah.

This is a sweeping, romantic saga steeped in mystery and lore that went a long way toward rekindling my love for the young adult fantasy genre.

The world building in this Chinese-inspired land was phenomenal. The Project Runway portion of the sto
Reynita Maharani ★ The Night Reader ★
THE REVIEW IS POSTED

I was supposed to review this book two months ago, but well ... I was pretty lazy that time after getting all my examinations done. So here I am reviewing this book! I'm honestly glad and happy to be back reviewing. It's one of the things that I love to do ... when I am not feeling lazy. :p

To be honest, I read this book because I heard it's Mulan retelling? and I love Mulan so much that I literally will read anything that is Mulan retelling. It's kind of complicated to descr
Cindy ✩☽♔
Unpopular Opinion Coming-in

A slow, lackluster attempt at a Mulan retelling. I make the comparison only because, if I remember correctly, that's how this was originally pitched.

Here I think we might have another case of it's not you, it's me. Because while the writing itself was not bad, I struggled with this book the entire time. It was just downright boring to me.

I did not care about the characters. I did not care about the journey and the romance did little for me overall. But of the three t
Lucy Langford
Jul 16, 2019 rated it really liked it
4.5****

I knew then that we were like two pieces of cloth, sewn together for life. Our stitches couldn't be undone. I wouldn't let them.

This was just brimming with enchantment and folklore. We are introduced to Maia Tamarin as a seamstress, working in her father's shop. Her father use to be a hardworking and famous tailor but after some family tragedies, he no longer has the passion to continue with it. Maia takes on this burden and has the dream that one day she will become the grandest tailor
Em Lost In Books
3.5*

Not without flaws but an entertaining story, and that cover is gorgeous!
Ashlee » Library In The Country
Why yes I did just SCREAM OUT LOUD because I got an ARC of this. One of my most anticipated 2019 releases!
Irena BookDustMagic
Sep 05, 2019 rated it really liked it
Actual rating: 4,5 stars

First of all, let’s take a moment to admire this gorgeous book cover, because (in my humble opinion) it is one of the most (if not the most) beautiful covers of 2019.
And the best part: it pictures perfect the story that’s in the pages.

Spin the Dawn was one of the best fantasy books I read in general (but keep in mind, I haven’t read many of them).
I love how it was pitched as Mulan meets Project Runaway, because that is a perfect description, and overall I think a lot of e
Hillary
This is me crying because this book was going so well till the romance happened and took over the entire plot. Not that I didn’t like it but... why, oh why did it have to take that direction?

For the first 65-70% I was really enjoying myself, there was very little I wasn’t liking. I was expecting it to go somewhere else though, because now that I’m done I’m thinking it was too... fluffy at times? The book had potential to be something more, but tbh there weren’t enough high stakes for me to be re
Nick
Mar 09, 2019 marked it as to-read
this cover is everything
may ❀
gahh this book is so beautiful in every way. the cover, the writing, the descriptions, the plot. i absolutely loved the unique spin on the well loved competition idea. i thought having a sewing contest was just brilliant and it was such a memorable, fun portion to read

the story felt like it was divided into two sections, half was the competition and the second half was traveling through the continent. i obvs preferred reading about the competition but the traveling was where the romance really b
Ellie (faerieontheshelf)
"Sendo used to tell me fairy tales. How he’d love mine if he were still alive: the tale of a girl who’d sewn the sun, the moon, and the stars into three dresses.”

SPIN THE DAWN starts off incredibly strong. I loved the framing of the narrative - starting with the ending and then segueing into the beautiful first chapter. I think I must’ve been tired but I also really felt the emotion & grief Maia felt at losing her brothers and teared up a lil.

The following 150-ish pages are all about the competi
♠ Tabi ♠
Sep 07, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: netgalley
'Ask me to spin the finest yarn or thread, and I can do it faster than any man--even with my eyes closed. Yet ask me to tell a lie, and I will stumble and falter to think of one.
I have never had a talent for spinning tales.'

description

First off, the above quote is a bit of a liar because this isn't a badly-woven story! If I hadn't read the blurb, maybe I wouldn't have been as thrown by the first part of the story because I guess I expected the contest to last longer than it actually did?? But this turn
Katie.dorny
Mar 28, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites, 2019
Honestly how did I get my hands on this book?? I adored this, honestly there was nothing I didn’t love about the book. I need the sequel immediately.

Here we meet Maia, a talented seamstress who takes the opportunity of a lifetime. Disguising herself as a boy, the whole story unfolds like clockwork and just whisks you away to another time and place.

We also meet other characters who were so lifelike and vibrant with their traits and dialogue it was as if I was in the room with them all.
My favourit
Tucker  (TuckerTheReader)
Jun 29, 2019 marked it as not-released-tbr
Shelves: fantasy, young-adult
Author: *Writes a Mulan retelling with Disney*
Author years later: *Writes a YA and compares it to Mulan*
Me: hmm, why do i smell a lawsuit

| Goodreads | Blog | Pinterest | LinkedIn | YouTube | Instagram

• Sorcery of Thorns
  • House of Salt and Sorrows
  • Serpent & Dove (Serpent & Dove, #1)
  • The Shadows Between Us
  • The Guinevere Deception (Camelot Rising, #1)
  • We Hunt the Flame (Sands of Arawiya, #1)
  • The Bone Houses
  • The Merciful Crow (The Merciful Crow, #1)
  • Scavenge the Stars (Scavenge the Stars, #1)
  • All the Stars and Teeth (All the Stars and Teeth, #1)
  • Wicked Fox (Gumiho, #1)
  • Crown of Coral and Pearl (Crown of Coral and Pearl, #1)
  • Bone Crier's Moon (Bone Grace, #1)
  • Blood Heir (Blood Heir Trilogy, #1)
  • The Storm Crow (The Storm Crow, #1)
  • A Curse So Dark and Lonely (Cursebreakers, #1)
  • Winterwood
  • The Beautiful (The Beautiful, #1)
Elizabeth Lim grew up on a hearty staple of fairy tales, myths, and songs. Her passion for storytelling began around age 10, when she started writing fanfics for Sailor Moon, Sweet Valley, and Star Wars, and posted them online to discover, "Wow, people actually read my stuff. And that's kinda cool!" But after one of her teachers told her she had "too much voice" in her essays, Elizabeth took a bre ...more

The Blood of Stars (2 books)
  • Unravel the Dusk  (The Blood of Stars, #2)

Articles featuring this book

“Seize the wind," I whispered. "Don't become the kite that never flies.” 55 likes
“Above, the stars faded behind the misty sky, and the sun fanned its light upon us. We melted into each other until the dawn slid into dusk, and the sun paled into the moon, and the stars, once lost, became found again.” 15 likes