Start by marking “Bunny” as Want to Read:
Bunny

Bunny

3.57  ·  Rating details ·  74,553 ratings  ·  18,045 reviews
Samantha Heather Mackey couldn't be more of an outsider in her small, highly selective MFA program at New England's Warren University. A scholarship student who prefers the company of her dark imagination to that of most people, she is utterly repelled by the rest of her fiction writing cohort--a clique of unbearably twee rich girls who call each other "Bunny," and seem to ...more
Published June 11th 2019 by Viking

To ask other readers questions about Bunny, please sign up.
This question contains spoilers... (view spoiler)
Clare Snow
This answer contains spoilers… (view spoiler)
This question contains spoilers... (view spoiler)
Alice Cronin
This answer contains spoilers… (view spoiler)
The Secret History by Donna TarttIf We Were Villains by M.L. RioThe Picture of Dorian Gray by Oscar WildeNinth House by Leigh BardugoVicious by V.E. Schwab
Dark Academia
314 books — 1,038 voters
My Year of Rest and Relaxation by Ottessa MoshfeghThe Bell Jar by Sylvia PlathConversations with Friends by Sally RooneyConvenience Store Woman by Sayaka MurataBoy Parts by Eliza  Clark
women vs the void
173 books — 365 voters

More lists with this book...

·  74,553 ratings  ·  18,045 reviews

Start your review of Bunny
Kat
Dec 06, 2019 rated it really liked it
super fucking bizarre. i loved it.

i usually don't compare titles to explain books, but i think it's the best way to explain this one soooo
heathers meets the craft meets frankenstein. if that sounds like a good time to you READ THIS.
karen
oooh, goodreads choice awards semifinalist for BEST HORROR 2019! what will happen?

this book is straight-up bonkers. seeing this was set “at an elite new england university” with an exclusive clique at its center and seeing it compared to Heathers, i went into it expecting a Megan Abbott-y/The Secret History-y type of deal; full of those dark and toxic currents that define adolescent girlhood, where affection shifts into power struggle at the drop of a hat, but also featuring a bunch of soulless
Riley
Oct 10, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: horror
this was the weirdest book i've read in my life and i don't know if i loved it or hated it but it was amazing and broke my brain ...more
emma
I would join a cult with no questions asked.

I can't even pretend that I'm better than that, or smarter than that, or capable-er of reading red flags than that. The fact of the matter is that not only do I hate making decisions (and therefore find the idea of someone making all of mine for me very compelling), I also (due to years of being a teacher's pet nerd) am desperate to be cool.

Make that cult led by a bunch of hot girls in cute dresses and I am done for.

This is a very cool, very...funny in
chloe
2nd read: October 2021
buddy read with caitlin & my patrons
★★★★★!!!!!!!!!!!!

1st read: October 2020
buddy read with jaime & caitlin
★★★★★
Jenny
Jul 17, 2019 rated it did not like it
*deep, deep breath*

*lung-bursting shrieks*

*choked swear words*

*another deep breath in, then out*

Alright, with that out of the way, let's get this shit over with.

MASSIVE FUCKING SPOILER WARNING!!!!!!

Words cannot, and I mean CANNOT, express how disappointed I am with this novel. I went from, "wow, this is so creepy, I love it!" to "well, that was a little disappointing," to "FUCK THIS SHIT SO FUCKING HARD." The best word I can use to sum up my emotions right now (aside from the obvious ones like r
chan ☆
Oct 22, 2021 rated it it was ok
people get exhausted trying to figure me out, and i just let them
- this book @ me, midway through

this is just bizarre and not in a way that has me wanting to figure out what happens next. i wanted to slam my head into a wall trying to puzzle my way through writing that used phrases like "gynecological hand gestures." like what the fuck does that even mean. i guess i now understand people's inability to put this book into words in their reviews. because the book has nothing tangible to explain.
Michelle
Hmmmm.....

I have no idea what I just read or how to review it. Does that work as a proper review? I'm not even going to attempt discussing the plot because...because.... See? I truly don't know how to.

Bizarre, strange, peculiar, unusual are just a few words that come to mind if I had to try and describe this mind fuck of a book. It's a very slip-streamy type of novel. A novel in which the entire time I read I had no idea what was going on and I still don't. Not a fucking clue.

"And then they hug
ELLIAS (elliasreads)
Aug 20, 2020 rated it really liked it
One of the weirdest fucking books I’ve ever read.

This book is the product child of a love triangle: if Mean Girls and Alice in Wonderland fell in love with The Craft.

If you like pretentious people in cliques and sacrificial cults and exploding heads and truly WTF moments, all at the same time getting their MFAs in writing and lit?

Then this one is for you.

4 STARS
luce (so' morta dentro)
| | blog | tumblr | ko-fi | |

There are those bizarre and experimental books that manage to be entertaining, transgressive, and on occasion even thought-provoking. And then, there are books like Bunny whose weirdness largely rests on overusing the word bunny (which appears approximately 350 times, one time too many).
An intentionally silly story that owes more to Scream Queens and The Babysitter then Heathers or Mean Girls. If you are picking up Bunny thinking that it is some sort of intriguin
Caitlin
Oct 14, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favourites
“A book should be like an ax.”
Melissa ♥ Dog/Wolf Lover ♥ Martin
1 Star

Well, I didn’t like it!

And I think everyone was hitting the crack pipe. I’m weird and messed up enough without this 🤣😂

And it seems like they were blowing up bunnies or some weird shit

Yeah...

So, I’m climbing out of the rabbit hole and on to the next book!

Happy Reading!

Mel 🖤🐶🐺🐾

BLOG: https://melissa413readsalot.blogspot....
Betsy
Jun 10, 2019 rated it really liked it
Okay, what just happened here?

I'll quote one of the characters to explain my feelings about Bunny--"And then I feel like screaming JUST SAY IT. TELL ME WHAT HAPPENED. TELL ME WHAT THE FUCK THIS MEANS."

The publisher's blurb doesn't even begin to capture what happens in Bunny. At first, I thought I'd be reading an R rated version of Mean Girls.

As I read, I found that wasn't quite right, so then I thought, "Okay, maybe it's Stephen King does Mean Girls."

It turned out that that description didn't
Michael Finocchiaro

I have, like, no clue what I just read. A post-feminist Fight Club? A sort-of inverted Traumnovelle / Eyes Wide Shut? An appeal for Bunnies or an ode to wolves? The writing was interesting-very uber-millennial complete with emojis, selfies, self-indulgent musing, semi-pretentious name-dropping, sarcasm-laden descriptions.

I stare at them all through Kira's pink heart-shaped glasses. This is how she must see the world all the time. I look at their dark pink faces, so suddenly grave. I should call
Deece de Paor
Jun 20, 2019 rated it did not like it
God this was truly awful. You know when you get a feel for a book and the feel is, ‘I don’t like this but I’m going to give it a chance?’ But then you give it a chance and it doesn’t improve? So that happened.
As I read I thought this author must be very young and will be embarrassed by this in ten years.
It’s like a much worse Fear and Loathing in Los Vegas but completely uninteresting.
I would not recommend this to anyone.
Sara (sarawithoutanH)
Nov 14, 2020 rated it did not like it
Shelves: 2020
I want to be the person likes weird books but I don't think I'm the person who likes weird books.

description

Booktube | Instagram | Twitter
Gabby
This is the strangest book I’ve ever read but I kind of loved it. I recently just read this for a video having absolutely no idea what it was about or what to expect but I’m genuinely surprised by how much I enjoyed this. I think the other reviewers comparisons are completely accurate, this story is: Mean Girls meets Frankenstein meets The Secret History meets Jennifer’s Body... and it also reminds me a lot of the movie Sorry to Bother You as well..?

But this story is so fucking weird and strange
❀ Lily ❀
I have no idea how i feel about this book.
i actually can't tell if i liked it or hated it... I need to sit with this for a while
myo (myonna reads)
i think i had too high of expectations for this book because this gave absolutely nothing, i’m like so disappointed because i expected so much from this book 😭 and as a Heather’s fan i’m mad yall keep comparing because they share no similarities besides having all the girls share a name. It’s also not dark comedy cus aint shit funny in this book. I think for a dark academia book to have supernatural aspect it needed to at least explain that. I don’t mind unexplainable things or weird books but w ...more
Laurie
This book is pure demented madness.

I loved it. I loved all of it and I think all of you weirdos should read it because you might just love it too. Just don’t ask me what it was about because I have no idea what the heck I just read and I am perfectly fine with that, haha!

I was in a huge book funk when my friend Emily recommend this book to me as a must read. She knows her stuff and I listened and it was exactly what I needed. I blew through this book in two days on audio and was so involved at o
Johann (jobis89)
Sep 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
“The poets brace themselves for imminent, overeducated poverty.”

Samantha Heather Mackey couldn’t be more of an outsider in her small, highly selective MFA program at New England’s Warren University. She is utterly repelled by the rest of her fiction writing cohort - a clique of unbearably twee rich girls who call each other “Bunny”. But everything changes when Samantha receives an invitation to the Bunnies’ fabled “Smut Salon”...

Wickedly funny and deliciously dark, Bunny is a messed up fever dre
ALet
Sep 15, 2019 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-in-2019
★★ /5

This was interesting, but not captivating enough to hold my attention.

I liked how the author wasn‘t afraid of taking risks. I found the characters interesting, but after a while, they blend into one another. The plot itself was fine, I particularly enjoyed the first part, but second and third become less and less interesting, shook factor didn't affect me after a while.

This was a unique book, but it didn't blow me away.
Nenia ✨ I yeet my books back and forth ✨ Campbell

Instagram || Twitter || Facebook || Amazon || Pinterest

I need somebody smarter than me to read this book and tell me what they think happened because I am so confused. The first half of this book is a brilliant satire of liberal art schools and pretentious art schools via a sort of Stepford Wives medium and I was super into it. The Bunnies, like the Plastics from Mean Girls, were compelling Queen Bee figures and I was interested in their culty vibe.

Then... the book starts getting really weir
Starlah
Jul 03, 2021 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
i dont know what the fuck i just read. i dont know why im emotional about it by the end. i dont know why i fucking loved it.
D.  St. Germain
Jul 12, 2019 rated it liked it
Loved the snarky sentences for awhile, but riding the rollercoaster of caustic commentary has only so much charm - eventually this book starts to feel as mean-spirited and vacuous as the rest of our modern discourse. The ubiquitousness of this way of telling stories makes me feel like a sick and drowning rat in a raging storm sewer. This is not a feeling I turn to literature to have.

If you suspect everyone may be a nightmare human and want to have those feelings validated, this is your book. Hav
Maxwell
Sep 08, 2022 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: owned
I have to give this 5 stars purely for the reading experience. I couldn't put it down. I was thinking about it when I wasn't reading it.

It's like Mean Girls meets Suspiria. A satirical horror(ish) campus novel that will leaving you wondering what the heck just happened but you'll totally be on board with it. Or at least, I was!

I can imagine this one being a 'love it or hate it' type of book. I don't blame people who don't like it but I really did. I had some small issues with wanting more expla
Sara
Nov 07, 2020 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I don't even know , what did I even read ? I'm just realy sad because I realy wanted to love this😿. I didn't find it fun or unique but just weird and confusing🙄
2⭐⭐
Coco Day
Nov 12, 2022 rated it really liked it
wtf?!

i actually can’t even put it into words it’s so strange! i felt like i was on a bad trip the whole time, tbh i don’t think i fully understand what was real and what wasn’t… but how fun is that?!
it’s so up for your own interpretation, but the feelings of being lonely, having no purpose or direction are definitely there

really enjoyed it :)
What the f is this book about, interpretations anyone? 5 242 Dec 03, 2022 08:02PM
Read, or Die!: November '22; Bunny 2 4 Nov 28, 2022 11:38AM
Challenge Corner: November 2022 Standalone BOTM - Bunny, by Mona Awad 1 12 Oct 29, 2022 09:58AM
Play Book Tag: Bunny by Mona Awad - 4 stars 6 30 Oct 03, 2022 01:46PM

• Long Live the Tribe of Fatherless Girls
  • The Arrangement
  • Akin
See top shelves…
Mona Awad is the author of four novels. Her debut novel, 13 WAYS OF LOOKING AT A FAT GIRL, won the Amazon Best First Novel Award and was shortlisted for the Giller Prize. Her second novel, BUNNY, was a finalist for a Goodreads Choice Award for Best Horror, the New England Book Award and won the Ladies of Horror Fiction Best Novel Award. It is currently in development for film with Jenni Konner and ...more

Articles featuring this book

Horror fiction, as a genre, can be fascinating to track over time. The scary stories that we tell ourselves often reflect the anxieties we’re...
“Why do you lie so much? And about the weirdest little things?", my mother always asked me. "I don’t know", I always said. But I did know. It was very simple. Because it was a better story.” 80 likes
“We never joke about bunnies, Bunny.” 68 likes