Start by marking “The Boggart and the Monster (The Boggart, #2)” as Want to Read:
The Boggart and the Monster (The Boggart, #2)

The Boggart and the Monster (The Boggart #2)

3.69  ·  Rating details ·  780 Ratings  ·  46 Reviews
The mischievous Boggart is trying to help his friend The Loch Ness Monster in this “imaginative and compelling tale” (Publishers Weekly, starred review) from Newbery winner Susan Cooper.

It’s been two years since Emily and Jess Volnik visited ancient Castle Keep in Scotland and made the acquaintance of the Boggart, a mischievous shape-shifting spirit who has lived in the ca
Published June 1st 2004 by Margaret K. McElderry Books (first published April 1st 1997)

To ask other readers questions about The Boggart and the Monster, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Boggart and the Monster

Lisa Wolf
Mar 05, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: children-s, scotland
"The Boggart and the Monster" by Susan Cooper is a fun romp which I found to be even better than its predecessor "The Boggart". In TB&TM, several years have gone by since Canadian siblings Emily and Jessup managed to send the wayward boggart back to his ancestral home in Scotland. As Emily, Jessup, and their parents head back to Scotland for a visit, they encounter a visiting scientist on his way to explore the mystery of Loch Ness.

The Loch Ness Monster, as it turns out, is a long-lost cousi
Deborah O'Carroll
I loved this book so much that the same day I finished reading it I started reading it all over again to my younger siblings and we read the whole thing in one day.

Emily, Jessup, Mr. Maconochie, Tommy, and of course the Boggart are back, as we return to Castle Keep and the enchanting hills and lochs of Scotland, in a PERFECT sequel to "The Boggart", which is one of my absolute favorites even though I only discovered it last year.

When I found out (from Goodreads--yay for lists of books in series
Susan
Aug 26, 2017 rated it really liked it
This is a sequel to The Boggart - I wish I could have found a copy and read it first. The children who met the Boggart in the first book are back in Scotland, staying at the castle. The castle was inherited by their father, who sold it to Mr. Maconochie, who has invited them to stay with him. He has just discovered the existence of their boggart in his castle. They meet Harold Pindle on the plane, who tells them about his project to find the Loch Ness monster using submersibles and sonar. Eventu ...more
Jen
Oct 25, 2017 rated it it was amazing
The boggart is back and has to help his cousin, the Loch Ness monster! Another fun romp!
 Strawberry Girl
Mar 23, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fantasy, read2017
I really enjoyed this fun story and would readily recommend!!!
Sarah Sammis
When left to my own devices, I have this uncanny knack for picking the second book of a series instead of the first. That said, The Boggart and the Monster by Susan Cooper, though the sequel to The Boggart is still a delightful read as a stand alone.

In The Boggart and the Monster Emily and Jess return to their ancestral home in Castle Keep near Loch Ness in Scotland. There's a new owner who isn't as chummy with the Boggart and it's up to the siblings to sort things out. In the process they end u
Warren Rochelle
Apr 21, 2016 rated it really liked it
Yes, good job on the sequel to The Boggart and a nice twist on the Loch Ness monster, who is, it turns out, a cousin to The Boggart. Nessie just happens to have been in monster form for way too long and has forgotten how to get to back to his true Boggart form.

Enter Emily and Jess Volnik from Toronto, back in Scotland 2 years after their first visit and their first encounter with the Boggart. They're off to Loch Ness with their old friend, Tommy, adn Mr. Maconochie, the new owner of Castle Keep.
William
Jul 13, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
"The Boggart and the Monster" is the second book in "The Boggart" series. This book takes place in Loch Ness, Scotland. Some of the characters are Jessup, Emily, Tommy, Mr. Maconochie, the Boggart, and Nessie. In this book Emily, Jessup, Tommy, Mr. Maconochie, and the Boggart go to Loch Ness. But while they were there the Boggart senses the presence of his cousin Nessie. Nessie had gotten himself stuck in the shape of a monster. Now Emily, Jessup, Tommy, Mr. Maconochie, and the Boggart must help ...more
Kendra
Apr 21, 2016 rated it really liked it
As predicted, my journey through the Harry Potter books ended for the second time half-way through book 3 when my 8 year old decided to go on without me (thanks, comrade!)

Since we had been reading about a boggart, I checked this one out of the library. I love Susan Cooper, but have not read this one (or the first book in the series).

Susan Cooper and JK Rowling surely must be friends. And anyone who has come of age after the bulk of Cooper's books, and loves HP should really read her books as we
Joan
Jan 10, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: fantasy and folktale lovers
Since I actually own this copy of the book, I read this one first even though it is the second and last book in the series. This one is just delightful. A little bit of tension, a lot of magic and delightful behavior. Even the bad guys aren't particularly bad. And the boggart is up to his usual tricks and games but also manages to rescue his coz (cousin) from the shape he had been in for far too long for a boggart. I can see why it didn't win the Newbery, but what a really delightful book! No re ...more
Kate
Feb 05, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
As with the first book, The Boggart, the old world and the new and convincingly mixed, with some very memorable characters. Descriptions of the Scottish landscapes make me want to see them even more, but they take a back seat to the emotion. We see that even creatures who weren't made to feel deep emotions still can, and that we need to care about others to help them.
Elizabeth S
Feb 14, 2009 rated it really liked it
Shelves: c-juvenile, z-2011
Fun, fun, fun. When you hear that the Loc Ness Monster is involved in this one, you may role your eyes. However, I enjoyed the interpretation of the monster. The technology used by the characters seems archaic to those of us living in 2011, so I just thought of it as historical fiction. :)

The Boggart has the same mischievous charm as in the first book. Do read the first book before this one, however, as it will add to your enjoyment of both.
L.h.
A surprisingly disappointing book from Cooper; in order to fill certain plot holes, she resorts to some first-person Boggart and making the Boggart speak, and as a result, the Boggart comes across as completely humanized. This completely contradicts her treatment of him in the original, and feels underhanded and sloppy.
Becca
Apr 01, 2010 rated it really liked it
I love Susan Cooper's writing style. It makes me happy. This book was a great follow-up to the last book. I loved Cooper's spin on Loch Ness and it's monster. This simple tale was full of wonderful magic, the importance of family, and a tiny smidgen of romance. Perfect combination for a mid-grade book.
Katie
Jan 21, 2013 rated it it was ok
Shelves: for-kids
Cleaning out some things from my book shelves, including all my adolescent fiction! I mean, this book was ok, and I kind of liked the paranormal aspect of it, but it's kind of dated with its ancient computer references....I think that it would be tough for today's kids to relate to. And the ending was pretty unsatisfying.
Melanie
Aug 24, 2009 rated it it was ok
Shelves: kid-stuff, fantasy
For some reason, I have a hard time finding any of Susan Cooper's books other than the Dark Is Rising sequence. I saw this one in the library the other day and so I checked it out. Turns out it's a sequel, but whatever. It's pretty cute; I like Susan Cooper. It's not as good as the Dark Is Rising sequence so far (I'm almost halfway into it).
Chelsea
Feb 16, 2008 rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed Cooper's fresh take on the Loch Ness monster, with the original Boggart as fun and mischievous as in the first. The little romance was adorable, too. A good follow up to the first.
Robyn
BSBPL | Good to read right after the first book. An enjoyable middle-grade story, exactly what I was in the mood for. I do so enjoy reading nice books about nice people who have nice things happen to them. I know that's corny, but I'm ok with that.
Nix
Sep 10, 2010 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: people who have read The Boggart
Shelves: magic, fantasy
Another Susan Cooper classic, about the skeptical modern world and the superstitious fantasy world coming breathtakingly close. All that stands between them is a handful of humans who link both worlds.
Angela
Dec 05, 2008 rated it it was ok
Shelves: childrens
'Susan Cooper' was on my to-read list, and I randomly grabbed one of her books from the library. Based on the other reviews, it looks like I got one of her weaker pieces. This was okay, but nothing special.
Audrey
Mar 03, 2009 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Kids 9+
Recommended to Audrey by: no one
I really thought this book was a cool one. It was about the Loch Ness Monster. I have never heard of a Boggart so I thought I could learn about them. My mom told me that my grandma had read it and thought it was very good. Susan Cooper is also the Author of The Dark Is Rising series.
Joy
Jun 09, 2009 rated it liked it
I went out and got this sequel almost as soon as I finished reading The Boggart. The plot is not as good in this one, but I still love the Boggart, and it was gratifying to see him with so many friends!
Lisa
Apr 16, 2009 rated it it was amazing
This was a delightful book -It was great to have the kids together again with the castle owner, and the boggart again was wonderful. Very good character development, and interesting to visit Loch Ness!
Lori Feldpausch
Jan 16, 2016 rated it it was amazing
This was a very good read. Me and my 7 year old son enjoyed the story very much. Got this book and did not know there was 1st book until we were half way through this one. Now we are reading the first one. Really good!!!
Jenny
Dec 09, 2012 rated it really liked it
My initial reaction upon seeing this book at the library was, "There's a sequel to The Boggart?!?" :-D :-D :-D

And that continues to be my reaction. I am overjoyed to be reunited with the Boggart. Seriously.
Hope Casais
Dec 21, 2012 rated it liked it
Cute story, but I liked the first book better. A little too predictable.
Zoe
Aug 18, 2014 rated it it was ok
Kind of a quirky tale - actually, pretty quirky. Funny, too - especially for kids in the British Isles; my American kids couldn't relate so well, unfortunately.
Aug 12, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-alouds, 2016
Very enjoyable; I think I liked it better than the first.
Margaret Norwood
Jun 02, 2014 rated it liked it
I enjoyed this book, but it doesn't have the depth or mystery that she achieves in The Dark is Rising series.
Beka
Apr 26, 2011 rated it really liked it
Another fun adventure with the mischievous boggart and friends.
  • Voices after Midnight
  • The El Dorado Adventure (Vesper Holly #2)
  • A Room Made of Windows
  • Firegold
  • The Princess in the Pigpen
  • The Astounding Adventure of the Ancient Dragon
  • George
  • The Last of the High Kings (New Policeman, #2)
  • Happy Birthday, Mrs. Piggle-Wiggle (Mrs. Piggle Wiggle, #5)
  • Beatrix Potter The Complete Tales
  • The Whistle, the Grave, and the Ghost (Lewis Barnavelt, #10)
  • Kestrel's Midnight Song
  • The Facts and Fictions of Minna Pratt
  • To Visit the Queen (Cats of Grand Central, #2)
  • The Stones of Green Knowe (Green Knowe, #6)
  • The Skull of Truth (Magic Shop, #4)
  • The Battle for the Castle (The Castle in the Attic, #2)
  • The Time Garden (Tales of Magic, #4)
Susan Cooper's latest book is the YA novel "Ghost Hawk" (2013)

Susan Cooper was born in 1935, and grew up in England's Buckinghamshire, an area that was green countryside then but has since become part of Greater London. As a child, she loved to read, as did her younger brother, who also became a writer. After attending Oxford, where she became the first woman to ever edit that university's newspap
More about Susan Cooper...

The Boggart (2 books)
  • The Boggart (The Boggart, #1)